Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hmm, I seem to recall it maybe doesn't work mounted? Since you need those Acrobatic evolutions... and not sitting and riding on top of your pet. The thought did cross my mind, so maybe need to check it. In any case, don't see a way for it to work with Spirited Charge.
A 100 Speed (+50 bonus from Mobility 1) Raptor on the other hand... that could mean A LOT of AoOs.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Can you use the Trample on Boar to ride thru the mob? Does vanilla Boar even have Trample? I haven't gotten the Trample/Overrun mechanics figured out yet in general.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Can you use the Trample on Boar to ride thru the mob? Does vanilla Boar even have Trample? I haven't gotten the Trample/Overrun mechanics figured out yet in general.
Think that's the Mastodon that does that somewhat automatically.
But doubtful that you could combine it with Acrobatic movement.

You can also get Trample on rider AFAIR... but then you're wasting both your and your mount's turn on a (potentially small AoE) trip AFAIK...

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://owlcat.games/news/74

EARLY VERSIONS OF MYTHIC POWER AND THE MYTH BEGINS

Last time, we told you the story behind the main theme of Wrath of the Righteous. We hope you'd like to learn a little about the work that went into Mythic Power and The Myth Begins, two pieces of in-game music written by composer Mikhail Kotov.

Mythic Power

The hero's acquisition of mythical powers is one of the game’s central themes. We thought it vital that the music convey just the right feeling: our character, who seemed to be in a hopeless situation, gains powers that rival those of a mythical being and thus becomes a threat to the demons that previously threatened them. As someone succinctly remarked in the YouTube comments for this track, "this is a boss theme, but YOU are the boss."

We gave the composer the following specifications: "The theme should have a fairly lively tempo, about halfway between a cutscene track and a combat track. We'd like the first 20 to 30 seconds to build up the anticipation that something significant is about to happen, and then develop into grand, epic music that sustains the tension until the very end."

After a while, we received the first version, which sounded like this:

Though this version met our technical specifications, it was too calm, inspiring the feeling of soaring over a sunlit expanse. The music lacked tension and did not evoke a sense of divine intervention capable of turning the tide of battle when defeat had seemed inevitable.

On the second try, the composer found the right motif and presentation. Set against this musical backdrop, acquiring mythical powers became one of the most memorable events in the game. The live orchestral rendition made it all the more beautiful.

The Myth Begins

It might seem as if any music could play during character creation: after all, it's merely the track that plays while assigning experience points and choosing the character's skills. But there's much more to it. In our game, thoughtful character creation may take more than an hour. Additionally, we wanted the player to feel they're at the beginning of a majestic and engrossing story.

For the composer, this meant the following task: write a piece of music that can play for lengthy periods without becoming tiresome and will encourage the painstaking process of choosing character parameters while immersing us in the world of Sarkoris, amid whose ruins our new adventure is about to begin. Therefore, we agreed the track shouldn't be vividly dramatic, that it should alternate between calmer and more emotional moments, and that it should quote the main theme's motif.

The first version went like this:

It quoted the motif and had the right feel, but only in the first half — around the midpoint, the music seemed to leave Sarkoris and move to the Southlands, which didn't quite fit our story. We also found this version too intense and dynamic, which is less than ideal when played for a long time.

We shared our feedback with the composer. Before long, he showed us a second draft that addressed all of our concerns. After a few more iterations and tweaks of the arrangement, we had the version of The Myth Begins that's currently in the game. We think it does a marvelous job!

We hope you've enjoyed this look into some of the early versions of what became the Wrath of the Righteous OST. In the future, we'll try to entertain you with more tales of how the game was made.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can anyone tell me how they figured out which Areshkagal is the true one? I'm having serious issues using the Midnight Bolt on the right one.
(I also happen to Aeon mythic suppress "her" and end the fight a bit too fast)
Last time I played, it did not matter, they are all "real" one.
I just shot the first one that appeared just now. I killed it first. It was the one that contained the "body". No crystal fell. This feels so retarded.

Stoned Ape

Savant
DUDE WHAT THE FUCK! IT DROPPED AS A SEPARATE DROP!!!

Sometimes I feel I could strangle some of the coders at Owlcat, I swear to Christ.
Yeah, be careful of the Deskari crystal. That also drops on the floor (under his model usually) and you need to pick it up before the fight ends, and you have to kill him before he runs away.

Desiderius

Patron
Think that's the Mastodon that does that somewhat automatically.
But doubtful that you could combine it with Acrobatic movement.

You can also get Trample on rider AFAIR... but then you're wasting both your and your mount's turn on a (potentially small AoE) trip AFAIK...
I’m looking for an ability that lets you Charge through a crowd. I (think?) know that Charges can trigger AoOs if they go beside the mobs.

Can you have that on the Mount with Acrobatics on the rider?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
There is no such skill in the vanilla game. There's only Trample, but it sucks. Guess mastodons also have a passive aoe trample.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
en9f30evemh91.png

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Got to the part where you manage your armies on a strategic level with decrees and stuff. Is this chapter 3? Anyway, I can see why people burn themselves out on this game. I don't want to say it's bloated because it does take a special amount of dedication to make a game this dense.. but yeah. I'm going to be doing the slow and steady here so I don't burn myself out, but there's no rush either. Enjoying the game a lot and the mythic stuff is really cool. Owlcat did a nice job at giving you a fantasy that does feel powerful in a meaningful way. I've clocked in 34h so far which is probably slow-ish for the progress I've made, but a significant amount of it was pouring over the feats screens since it has been almost 10 years since I played Pathfinder properly.

Desiderius

Patron
Got to the part where you manage your armies on a strategic level with decrees and stuff. Is this chapter 3? Anyway, I can see why people burn themselves out on this game. I don't want to say it's bloated because it does take a special amount of dedication to make a game this dense.. but yeah. I'm going to be doing the slow and steady here so I don't burn myself out, but there's no rush either. Enjoying the game a lot and the mythic stuff is really cool. Owlcat did a nice job at giving you a fantasy that does feel powerful in a meaningful way. I've clocked in 34h so far which is probably slow-ish for the progress I've made, but a significant amount of it was pouring over the feats screens since it has been almost 10 years since I played Pathfinder properly.
34h is far from slowish at that point. I try to hold it to one army fight a day max to give recruiting time to build up your forces. Gives you a lot of time to rest, explore, scribe, etc.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Anyway, I can see why people burn themselves out on this game.

Yeah, I can't exactly point out the reason behind it, but I was voraciously devouring Kingmaker whereas I p. much always need a 2-3 day rest between two prolonged sessions of WotR.

Specially true now in Chapter 4, I hate that camera-rotating gimmick with a passion.

Desiderius

Patron
Anyway, I can see why people burn themselves out on this game.

Yeah, I can't exactly point out the reason behind it, but I was voraciously devouring Kingmaker whereas I p. much always need a 2-3 day rest between two prolonged sessions of WotR.

Specially true now in Chapter 4, I hate that camera-rotating gimmick with a passion.
First two (!) times thru in Alpha I thought it was random (it is the Abyss after all) and would sit there like an idiot waiting for the worlds to rotate or whatever.

Now *that* was a pain. Once you get the hang of moving stuff around it’s no big deal. Likewise the chest puzzles get a lot easier once you realize you can stand on each platform (one character each) to hold them in place.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Weird thing about that Mobility check is that your CMB doesn't matter (and you get auto-flatfoot on the AoO plus Ever Ready bonus) so you could even play a 1/2 class (mounted Feyspeaker?) I think without too much trouble. Nice not to worry about Agile Maneuvers.

Well, it surprisingly actually sorta works mounted. Rolled a Halfling ranger with a Racer Velociraptor (80 Speed before buffs) and he's pretty good. Damn fun running circles around enemies with him. Also good AB and damage, gets some niceties, such as Ever Ready and Power Attack much sooner. Even got Cleaving Finish from Combat Style! Plus even when the mount's movement runs out, the rider can still full attack if he's in position to...
Trouble is, enemies apparently roll for AoOs against both the rider and the mount. So you'd need to maximize Mobility on both. And buff both. And there are only so many OP Mobility items. Otherwise, even if the mount has good enough AC not to worry about AoOs, many enemies will spend their AoO budget attacking the mount.
Kind of pity, as its fun, simple and quite powerful.

Last edited:

Stoned Ape

Savant
I think they've significantly improved the island bridge rotation. Most of the time the bridge arrives if you point the camera in the direction you want to go.

During the first couple of runs I did that wasn't the case; the camera had to be pointed at weird, unrelated angles that involved spinning it slowly around until a bridge finally appeared.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
First two (!) times thru in Alpha I thought it was random (it is the Abyss after all) and would sit there like an idiot waiting for the worlds to rotate or whatever.

Obviously I didn't think it was random, because in my version of the game (1.3.7) there's a prompt that comes up and tells you exactly what the situation is.

My issue is that I think it's a completely retarded mechanic that brings nothing, and I mean nothing, beneficial to the table and only serves as a pain in the ass that you just kinda have to go through because some retarded pink-haired motherfucking imbecile needed points for her/xir/theirs Game Development Course diploma.

I mean, holy hell, even you agree that the whole thing is a pain and something you just "get the hang of", rather than something that actually contributes to the player's enjoyment of the game:

Now *that* was a pain. Once you get the hang of moving stuff around it’s no big deal. Likewise the chest puzzles get a lot easier once you realize you can stand on each platform (one character each) to hold them in place.

If you have something in your game that's just a pain that people learn to get around, why have it in your game to begin with?

Desiderius

Patron
Because CE is a pain. It’s the Griefer alignment. Tho I don’t agree that it *is* a pain now, at least the city part. You just point where you want to go and the world revolves around you. Which also happens to be how CE looks at the world.

In general I don’t want the Abyss to be happy fun QoL land. CE QoL ultimately sux.

Desiderius

Patron
Weird thing about that Mobility check is that your CMB doesn't matter (and you get auto-flatfoot on the AoO plus Ever Ready bonus) so you could even play a 1/2 class (mounted Feyspeaker?) I think without too much trouble. Nice not to worry about Agile Maneuvers.

Well, it surprisingly actually sorta works mounted. Rolled a Hasty Halfling ranger with a Racer Velociraptor (80 Speed before buffs) and he's pretty good. Damn fun running circles around enemies with him. Also good AB and damage, gets some niceties, such as Ever Ready and Power Attack much sooner. Even got Cleaving Finish from Combat Style! Plus even when the mount's movement runs out, the rider can still full attack if he's in position to...
Trouble is, enemies apparently roll for AoOs against both the rider and the mount. So you'd need to maximize Mobility on both. And buff both. And there are only so many OP Mobility items. Otherwise, even if the mount has good enough AC not to worry about AoOs, many enemies will spend their AoO budget attacking the mount.
Kind of pity, as its fun, simple and quite powerful.
Put Invis on Mount? Acrobatics?

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Because CE is a pain. It’s the Griefer alignment. Tho I don’t agree that it *is* a pain now, at least the city part. You just point where you want to go and the world revolves around you. Which also happens to be how CE looks at the world.

In general I don’t want the Abyss to be happy fun QoL land. CE QoL ultimately sux.

Or or OR, and bear with me on this nova-hot take, they didn't have to portray one of the layers of the motherfucking cocksucking Abyss itself as basically just another mortal city you'd find in Golarion, only filled with "Chaotic Evil" denizens (but somehow enough societal organization still exists to allow for organized slavery).

Can't blame Owlcat for this, of course, they were simply working with the material they were given by Paizo, but good god fucking motherfucking damn, it's some grade-A garbage.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Good game review.

Partially good. It's like this game was cobbled together by several different teams, each with wildly different hiring practices and quality standards.

So you end up with parts of the game that are good, or even truly excellent, and then another whole bunch of parts that are simply broken, worthless garbage through-and-through.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom