Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This time I took Second Mystery - Nature instead of Boundless Healing on Daeran (for 1st mythic ability). My reasoning is that I shouldn't take so much damage that I'll need a heal during combat, and better to invest in preventing damage through Barkskin than in healing. On my last playthrough I turned him into a fulltime healbot but he was kind of taking up a party member slot and wasn't providing any damage, so I was on the fence about his usefulness.

Thoughts, anyone?

Daeran is meh compared to a mercenary Oracle cause with a mercenary Oracle you can take Nature and Waves. Which opens up the potential for Oracle cause now all your fireball is a Slow spell at the same time. Neoseeker has a good build for caster mercenary Oracle:

https://www.neoseeker.com/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/builds/Melee_Lich_Legend#Caster_Oracle
Aren't mercs too expensive once you are above lvl 1? I remember this being the case at release, but I haven't checked if they've changed the price scaling.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Aren't mercs too expensive once you are above lvl 1? I remember this being the case at release, but I haven't checked if they've changed the price scaling.
You can afford 1-2 when you start Ch1 if you play without any shenanigans (4500g), then price would outpace your finance probably, until it becomes less of an issue at the beginning of Ch2 and non-issue in Ch3. It was never changed.

Mind it, Nature Oracle is a wonderful character, if you have someone else doing party's healing for him until he hits Heal/Mass Heal. I am not a big fan of the Channel in general, since it becomes obsolete in the second half of the campaign with all feats and mythic feats wasted on it, but it is still a wonderful instrument to keep party topped and to minimize rest spam at the lower levels. Especially in the ch1 where you are punished for resting with early tavern defense, and even more so in its last dungeon.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also the abyssal corruption thingy
Well, there are spots where you can clear it. Also passing Religion check during rests lowers the amount you accumulate. So its mostly a non-issue.

I'm rather dissapointed the devs have entirely suspended the mechanics during Act 3 final battle.. despite there being plentiful spots to clear it (at least 3 I think). Decline.

Yosharian

Arcane
This time I took Second Mystery - Nature instead of Boundless Healing on Daeran (for 1st mythic ability). My reasoning is that I shouldn't take so much damage that I'll need a heal during combat, and better to invest in preventing damage through Barkskin than in healing. On my last playthrough I turned him into a fulltime healbot but he was kind of taking up a party member slot and wasn't providing any damage, so I was on the fence about his usefulness.

Thoughts, anyone?
Yeah it's debatable whether you need a pure healer role, IMO it's better to have a combat healer like a Battle Shaman that can do combat things fairly well but still have access to Mass Heal when you need it.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Thoughts, anyone?
This is what I'm doing now too. Best way I think to offset his drawback and he sets up well for Mobility for Mounted Combat. Feats will be tight tho. I think he'll just be casting instead of fighting much himself. Demoralizing is a solid alternative action economy if you go that way.

Thoughts, anyone?
Yeah it's debatable whether you need a pure healer role, IMO it's better to have a combat healer like a Battle Shaman that can do combat things fairly well but still have access to Mass Heal when you need it.
Mass Heal is very late. Healing certainly isn't a full action econ but in main game you want a full Divine Caster whether Sos/Daeran or MC and the first two come with Selective Channeling which is good to have on tap. I like to switch to Phylactery once I can keep Owl's Wisdom up to top it off. Mythic Channeling on Daeran can kick it up pretty high and also be good vs Undead.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well, there are spots where you can clear it. Also passing Religion check during rests lowers the amount you accumulate. So its mostly a non-issue.

I'm rather dissapointed the devs have entirely suspended the mechanics during Act 3 final battle.. despite there being plentiful spots to clear it (at least 3 I think). Decline.
Maybe because banner is in the area?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

That could be a story explanation for that, yes. But then why did they spread sacred objects to clear corruption accross the map?

ArchAngel

Arcane

That could be a story explanation for that, yes. But then why did they spread sacred objects to clear corruption accross the map?
There are resting spots around left by attacking army, not sacred objects. Sacred objects are just there because of the significance of the place in the past, they were not placed by attackers during the attack.

Desiderius

Patron
Thoughts, anyone?
Just give him a Red Salamander and turn him into the blaster. With full item setup for the fire magic he is one of the strongest characters for this role (second is Ember, she got hexes but her main stat is lower and her spellbook sucks). And with feats you can go standard caster routine - Point Blank + Precise Shot, 2 Spell Penetrations, 2 School Focus (Evocation), Bolster + Empower Metamagic.

If you get Sorcerous Reflex at MR2 he can double fireball in the first round of the combat, and with Hide Armor of Elemental Carnage + Crossblooded Sorcerer dip (I usually take it at lvl 17) + Second Bloodline he can amass as much as +4 Fire damage per dice rolled.
Once you clear Blackwater he can also use the Electricity Bracers with Max Unholy Rod for Unholy Stormbolts. Divine wants Mythic Evo Focus for Archon's so there are several options for turning on good nukes mid/late.

Ancestors second mystery also works well. I took him that way and was eventually slaying STR-based with Divine self buffs (Freedom of Movement cancels his Curse in Vanilla). Point Blank/Precise is ok (Arrow of Law is good in this setting, and Searing Touch is no Save, and Hellfire eventually) but you do run into the Spontaneous Meta problem if you want to get the damage up and Feats are tight on Oracle. You can just use Sound Burst and Holy Smite/Order's Wrath/Arbitrament (depending on party makeup) and not need ranged Feats at all.

I don't think it's the case that Sosiel is strictly better, especially on RTwP where Swifts are clunky, and Life Mystery is better than it looks (spells like Resto on tap spontaneously is very nice) as long as you have a Second Mystery to give him some decent Revelations. Make sure to get that Second Mystery before leveling him up to lvl 7 to get the extra Revelation options.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I try to run most games with no heals as much as possible as a playstyle choice, but it's rarely an optimal strategy since stuff is typically balanced around having a big primary healer.

Desiderius

Patron
I try to run most games with no heals as much as possible as a playstyle choice, but it's rarely an optimal strategy since stuff is typically balanced around having a big primary healer.
Healbot is only half an action econ at best. It's good to have on tap but if you're playing well that character should also be able to present a viable threat whether via Divine Self Buffed Slaying or Casting/Demoralizing/Domaining/Revelationing and eventually both. It's not an MMO. Damage-racing/bulletsponges aren't a thing.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Best way I think to offset his drawback and he sets up well for Mobility for Mounted Combat.
Why are so focused on Mobility + Mounted Combat feat? It was broken in the unmodded game for more than a year and I am half sure it still does not work properly without TT Tweaks.

Last edited:

Longes

Augur

Thoughts, anyone?
IMO, in-combat healing in Pathfinder is a fool's errand. You want Daeran to heal out of combat, not in it. The time you spend healing in combat is the time you let the enemy deal more damage, which in turn requires you to do more healing again.
While Nature gives you a cute little wolf to trip up everyone, both dealing damage and stopping them from dealing damage to you.

Desiderius

Patron
Best way I think to offset his drawback and he sets up well for Mobility for Mounted Combat.
Why are so focused on Mobility + Mounted Combat feat? It was broken in the unmodded game for more than a year and I am half sure it still does not work properly without TT Tweaks.
The Saves one turns off the downside on the relic Bracers and is generally the best way to prevent bad things from happening. The base ability can even stop nat 20s. Those two have been working for awhile.

Mobility check.jpg

I give people shit for growing up on phone games so always looking for one-weird-trick. Maybe growing up on coin-ops made me hate reloads. It's more the case that shoring up weaknesses makes combats go more smoothly with less need to play close attention and there are a lot of combats. I like to take the RNG out of the equation as much as I can. People who complain about trash fights put all their eggs into the offensive basket so have to reload a lot when something goes wrong.

There's also a Feat in TTT that lets you prevent two attacks per round instead of just one but one is pretty good already.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
So I was thinking about doing that 2 man DLC3 run. What do you guys think about dhampir Lich Sorcerer (one with the pet) and dhampir Inquisitor. Pet will tank, Inquisitor will be using two handed while being Enlarged to provide damage and divine spells while Lich will be ranged damage dealer (and can raise dead enemies to fight along side the party). Now I am not sure about Inqusitor since he has only 4(?) divine spell levels. Maybe I should go Warpriest or some full Divine Caster?
Also I read that spontaneous casters when going Lich and merging spellbooks don't get earlier access to lvl 9 spells, is this true? (or maybe that is only for access to lvl 10 spells)

ArchAngel

Arcane

Thoughts, anyone?
IMO, in-combat healing in Pathfinder is a fool's errand. You want Daeran to heal out of combat, not in it. The time you spend healing in combat is the time you let the enemy deal more damage, which in turn requires you to do more healing again.
While Nature gives you a cute little wolf to trip up everyone, both dealing damage and stopping them from dealing damage to you.
There are multiple way to use swift actions to heal in combat.

Desiderius

Patron
There are multiple way to use swift actions to heal in combat.
Most of which require spending scarce resources to obtain. OP is generally correct. Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Sos for one doesn't have Swifts to spare in any case.

Yosharian

Arcane
Pretty sure it works

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom