Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
D1OH20k.png

They're actually kind of useful for absorbing AoOs

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks like I’ll have to do Summoner proof of concept next. First have figure out if its better to do MC Summoner or let a Companion do it.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks like I’ll have to do Summoner proof of concept next. First have figure out if its better to do MC Summoner or let a Companion do it.
Hey Desi, offhand, are all classes subject to that one summon only thing like Monster Tactician or is it just that one (which makes it suck) and everything else lets you get into glorious summon spam?

Desiderius

Patron
They’re ok for awhile but mid/late summons starting with Lizards/Leopards have some staying power. Axiomite Electricity can do some things as well.

Desiderius

Patron
They’re ok for awhile but mid/late summons starting with Lizards/Leopards have some staying power. Axiomite Electricity can do some things as well.
Ok, but like say if you build up a conjuration focused wizard, can you cast summon monster N like 10 times and make a gaggle of crap or no?
I’d rather cast it once (or do something like Monster Tactician and not have to cast it at all) then start firing off the good Conj AoE debuff/disabling spells, especially since non-Animate Summon spells are Full Action. Item/Mythic Summons are Standard too so maybe focus on those?

My Summons are already doing some damage as well operating in the field of buff/debuff I’m laying down without focusing on that (which would entail using items principally). Steep hill to climb but those are the fun ones.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Whoever responded to my praise of the Stockade by saying that is the last good dungeon of the game was smoking some heavy duty shit. There's been several good ones in Act 3 - Blackwater, Ivory Sanctum. Compared to Kingmaker this is Dungeon Nirvana, and compaired to modern RPGs in general? Exxxtacy.

It's not Watcher's Keep, mates, but I can't think of anything modern that is.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ok, but like say if you build up a conjuration focused wizard, can you cast summon monster N like 10 times and make a gaggle of crap or no?
I’d rather cast it once (or do something like Monster Tactician and not have to cast it at all) then start firing off the good Conj AoE debuff/disabling spells, especially since non-Animate Summon spells are Full Action. Item/Mythic Summons are Standard too so maybe focus on those?
Just something I'll keep in mind for later. I don't often play summoners and some (all?) of the IE games had hamstrung them, so I was curious if they were nerfed here too since Monster Tactician actually specifies it which I found out when trying to summon more than one thing.

Thanks.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Just something I'll keep in mind for later. I don't often play summoners and some (all?) of the IE games had hamstrung them, so I was curious if they were nerfed here too since Monster Tactician actually specifies it which I found out when trying to summon more than one thing.

Thanks.

You can summon to your hearts content AFAIK. My Camille has no summoning spells but sort of by ruling out other people's Standard Actions she ended up with all my summon items, and she summons like 20 creatures in important fights. If you spec for it I don't see why you shouldn't be able to summon a gazillion

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I prefer using skeletons because they're immune to tons of shit
You can have both in fact, they spawn from dead skeletons. Summon a bunch and they will bog down just about any target.

In my previous run against playful darkness it couldn't get out of its cave with all the skeletons and spiders, though in my last run I didn't summon anything as it died after two dispels (dispelling mindblank and heroism, greater means it dies to phantasmal killer).

Desiderius

Patron

Thanks.
TTT/Dark Codex has a Mythic that *really* beefs them up but I think there’s probably enough there in vanilla if you use all the items along with field effects like Reg Aura/Inspiring Command/Hearth/Battle Meditation/Archon’s/Entangling etc..

Mark of Justice gives everybody that can hit a big chunk of damage and Whip gives extra attack, add in the cloak that makes their attax Holy then the task is getting enough AB/enemy AC debuff to connect.

I doubt they’re going to be hitting Unfair bosses but maybe they can take out adds to lessen need for AoE control. Nenio can own with that but without her or MC on it can be a challenge.

Desiderius

Patron
I prefer using skeletons because they're immune to tons of shit
You can have both in fact, they spawn from dead skeletons. Summon a bunch and they will bog down just about any target.
Things like Blightmaw can delete them with Cleaving Finish and there are a lot of threats (like Minos) with some of that functionality. Depends how much time you need.

Desiderius

Patron
The Bard Summoner actually looks really good (you can get the Global AB from Inspire Greatness which is better than Courage sometimes anyway) but I think I’d like to see how Battle Meditation feels and there’s too much overlap there with Good Hope.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yosharian

Arcane

Thanks.

You can summon to your hearts content AFAIK. My Camille has no summoning spells but sort of by ruling out other people's Standard Actions she ended up with all my summon items, and she summons like 20 creatures in important fights. If you spec for it I don't see why you shouldn't be able to summon a gazillion
Summons are borderline OP for tying up enemies. Especially swarms.

For actually killing your enemies they are useless

Desiderius

Patron

Thanks.

Summons are borderline OP for tying up enemies. Especially swarms.

For actually killing your enemies they are useless
Challenge accepted. Going to be awhile, though randomly been doing damage with them already with Aeon MC.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
ok what the fuck Clemency of Shadows is legit great. The spiders are insanely annoying for the enemy. And to think I picked it up for the AoO bonus lol

Desiderius

Patron
Belt Shadow Demon gets (a lot of) Touch Attax, Tankard Summons do decent in combat if you can get them to stop stunning your team lol, pack of Smilos incoming so we’ll see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom