Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Blackwater isn't a particularly interesting dungeon, but the story is pretty based:

Based Blackwater.jpg

People hate Nenio, but I think they may be missing who exactly she's sending up:

Science send-up.jpg

Sounds like a certain experimental gene therapy.

So far on Unfair I do well with rnd/lvl stuff up, and I can recharge those about three times per rest. Blackwater has two corruption nodes so that's plenty. Never felt like I was in danger, but definitely would be if buffs were stripped.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Has anyone tried to build a character using ChatGPT? I made an attempt to build the main character for Kingmaker, and it was not good. However, maybe it's due to my shortcomings.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Welp. Seems like the recent patch (which claims to "fix" a lot of natural attack-stuff) has finally done in my save completely. My MC has 4 natural attacks - 5 with haste (as compared to the 14 he should have).

Weird thing is, turning rage on/off has no effect on amount of naturals (a bunch of the attacks, like Animal Fury and Fiend Totem, are enabled by rage), and same thing with turning Close to the Abyss on/off.

Yosharian do you have save you can check to see if anything is up with your demon?

EDIT: OK, widely reported by other Nat-attack users too on the Discord etc. Fucking hell Owlcat.

EDIT2: After some testing, it seems the actual bug is that stacking nat attacks is no longer possible period. You can get two claws, one bite, one gore, that's it.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
After some testing, it seems the actual bug is that stacking nat attacks is no longer possible period. You can get two claws, one bite, one gore, that's it.
Wow. Huge nerf for martial demon.

Nerf implies intention. Since it's not documented in 2.0.6 while these nat attack changes are:

Animal companions sometimes lost their natural attacks (with hoofs, horns, claws etc.) – fixed;

Weapon Finesse now works with all natural weapons.

I fully expect this to a bug. Might be the result of the other "fixes". Such a big change, if intended, would probably be documented.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
After some testing, it seems the actual bug is that stacking nat attacks is no longer possible period. You can get two claws, one bite, one gore, that's it.

Nerf implies intention. Since it's not documented in 2.0.6 while these nat attack changes are:

Animal companions sometimes lost their natural attacks (with hoofs, horns, claws etc.) – fixed;

I fully expect this to a bug. Might be the result of the other "fixes". Such a big change, if intended, would probably be documented.
I'm not sure about that. As far as I know, RAW (tabletop) was that you couldn't bite stack at all and that was a bug in Owlcat's implementation. The patch notes sound to me like what they fixed is that sometimes mounts lost all natural attacks, not things dropping off from stacking. Possibly these issues were related?

The one thing I find weird is that in turn based mode, if I command the mount, I can get it to full-attack and the rider to attack (don't have iteratives yet, so not sure if that's a full attack or not - I think it is). If I command the rider, the rider will (full?) attack and the mount will only attack once even if it has several attacks and would've used them all had I commanded it directly.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I'm not sure about that. As far as I know, RAW (tabletop) was that you couldn't bite stack at all and that was a bug in Owlcat's implementation. The patch notes sound to me like what they fixed is that sometimes mounts lost all natural attacks, not things dropping off from stacking. Possibly these issues were related?

The one thing I find weird is that in turn based mode, if I command the mount, I can get it to full-attack and the rider to attack (don't have iteratives yet, so not sure if that's a full attack or not - I think it is). If I command the rider, the rider will (full?) attack and the mount will only attack once even if it has several attacks and would've used them all had I commanded it directly.

Again, it's a huge change, so if it's intended, why wouldn't it be documented? Especially when they did document MUCH smaller nat attack changes :)

The change is definitely ALOT closer to RAW (where you can only stack bites and gores if you have multiple appendages for these attacks), though, so that's a point towards it being intended, but man that's a weird change to make undocumented after your engine has been released for umpteen year.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Again, it's a huge change, so if it's intended, why wouldn't it be documented? Especially when they did document MUCH smaller nat attack changes :)

The change is definitely ALOT closer to RAW (where you can only stack bites and gores if you have multiple appendages for these attacks), though, so that's a point towards it being intended, but man that's a weird change to make undocumented after your engine has been released for umpteen year.
Look, I love the Owlcats and their derp-ass games. But uh... with their patch cycles, I'm not convinced that internal or external documentation/communication is their strong suit. I wouldn't put money down that it was intended, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

I get where you're coming from though and it'd be good if they'd communicate things that can massively change/ruin people's builds. But see above. ;)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Imagine some end user without the respec mod having such a change hit him lol. Bricked save right there. At least I can just make another character in the same save if it really does come to that.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Probably they were happy with the occasional extra bites but then they wandered in here and saw Haplo's screenshots and Yosharian's theory crafting with like 30 bite pets and stuff and were like: We need to stop this! :P

Delterius

Arcane
Imagine some end user without the respec mod having such a change hit him lol. Bricked save right there. At least I can just make another character in the same save if it really does come to that.
I remember people losing their minds after slight nerfs in the pillars patch cycle. If I lost 9 attacks per round due to a balance change I'd nuke Cyprus.

They completely gutted elemental barrage builds without documentation in patch notes, so this happening again doesn't surprise me. There were far more characters using elemental barrage compared to stacking natural attacks. Elemental Barrage was a homebrew ability too, so there was no reason to need to "fix" it to work according to PnP when they could have kept it and balanced in for melee builds rather than make it useless. Clearly Owlcat doesn't care much if they are killing your save in an update.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I remember people losing their minds after slight nerfs in the pillars patch cycle. If I lost 9 attacks per round due to a balance change I'd nuke Cyprus.

I've decided to invade Norway, but the sentiment is similar

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They completely gutted elemental barrage builds without documentation in patch notes, so this happening again doesn't surprise me. There were far more characters using elemental barrage compared to stacking natural attacks. Elemental Barrage was a homebrew ability too, so there was no reason to need to "fix" it to work according to PnP when they could have kept it and balanced in for melee builds rather than make it useless. Clearly Owlcat doesn't care much if they are killing your save in an update.
Exactly, there's already precedent for undocumented changes of such caliber.

Yosharian

Arcane
Exactly, there's already precedent for undocumented changes of such caliber.
Yeah but EB was actually meta

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Probably in preparation for Shifter DLC. If they fix all the stuff that doesn't work on player Natural Attax (but does on pets!) then it should turn out ok.

People get too excited about tertiary attacks that don't show up in the combat log much unless you're soloing anyway. Just encourages a narrow playstyle that often isn't anywhere near the best you can do.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sooooooo… Any suggestions for a build for my MC?

Kind of limited buildspace obviously; it needs to work with my current gear and synergize with Demon. And work on Unfair, obviously…

I wouldn’t mind toyboxing in a required weapon that I’ve went past already, tho.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Patron

Kind of limited buildspace obviously; it needs to work with my current gear and synergize with Demon. And work on Unfair, obviously…

I wouldn’t mind toyboxing in a required weapon that I’ve went past already, tho.
Kineticist? Totally different playstyle though, but it is demon compatible and doable on unfair. Otherwise, maybe some sort of monk if you wanted to keep the unarmed theme and synergy.

Alternatively, roll back your patch for the current game and then update when you're done. There's the beta path that works on an old patch.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Completely forgot about the option to roll back. That seems like the obvious answer. No need to fear it’ll break something?

Yosharian

Arcane

You're in Act 3 right? Do you have the Death's Consonant bardiche? You could make a pretty good build out of that IMO

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

You're in Act 3 right? Do you have the Death's Consonant bardiche? You could make a pretty good build out of that IMO

About one-third into Act 4.

I'm considering some basic bitch Warpriest Vital Strike build, since it kindda does something with Demonic Charge, and it seems kind of difficult to find Demon synergies that aren't nat-weapons (or, well, spellcasting).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom