Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Delterius

Arcane
My problem with ray of halberds is that it's super late and it's also competing for spell casts with Trick Fate. Plus hellfire is already very powerful and doesn't target normal ac. But I guess a charisma tanker can make good use of it.

Yosharian

Arcane
Why didn't any of you fuckers just tell me about Mask of the Most Worthy :lol:
Doesn't it have some seriously bad drawbacks?

I seem to remember someone on Discord was telling me it's really bad if you equip it/obtain it (I'm not talking about the item description)

Can't remember the details though

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

It gives some penalties in Areshkagal's domain and against her followers and isn't a particularly great item...

...unless you're trying to make a DC59 saving throw :D

Other than that, I don't see any drawbacks. Though I am playing blind so maybe there's something story-related?

ga♥ said:
The drawback is occupying a head slot instead of a "eyes/face" one.

A very worthy use of a slot in that fight in particular ;)

EDIT: Though... is there a benefit to completing your mythic quest before Iz? Because you can't get the mask before Iz.

I am regretting picking misfortune on Camilla instead of slumber. I restarted my game early on when I learned of the Lecturer trait, abandoning my prior game. I had originally picked slumber on her, but opted for misfortune hex the second time around since it was so easy. Turns out slumber is what made all of these encounters effortless. I still haven't rested at all, but The Maze is a wee bit of a slog with how much higher level they are.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I am regretting picking misfortune on Camilla instead of slumber. I restarted my game early on when I learned of the Lecturer trait, abandoning my prior game. I had originally picked slumber on her, but opted for misfortune hex the second time around since it was so easy. Turns out slumber is what made all of these encounters effortless. I still haven't rested at all, but The Maze is a wee bit of a slog with how much higher level they are.
My choice would rather be Protective Luck.
Her DCs aren't great for Slumber - Ember is better for it.

Camelia does Protective Luck and Evil Eye in my teams.

Later in Act 1 the sequence goes: Cam Evil Eye -> Daeran Demoralize -> Ember Slumber -> Seelah or MC with a glaive (x3 crit mod is fairly important) Coup de Grace

Yosharian

Arcane

It gives some penalties in Areshkagal's domain and against her followers and isn't a particularly great item...

...unless you're trying to make a DC59 saving throw :D

Other than that, I don't see any drawbacks. Though I am playing blind so maybe there's something story-related?

ga♥ said:
The drawback is occupying a head slot instead of a "eyes/face" one.

A very worthy use of a slot in that fight in particular ;)

EDIT: Though... is there a benefit to completing your mythic quest before Iz? Because you can't get the mask before Iz.
It is an excellent item, but I'm certain there is a significant drawback to using it if you complete the game wearing it.

I think it negatively affects the ending, like big time.

D_X

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
It is an excellent item, but I'm certain there is a significant drawback to using it if you complete the game wearing it.

I think it negatively affects the ending, like big time.
Where is that mask from? Because iirc, there were at least 2 and the one with the negative effect story wise was
the one you got after murdering the sphinx demon lord at the end of Nenio's quest. And all it did was add an extra ending slide about how the mc goes missing for long period of times without remembering why.
Just toss it out of the inventory just before finishing the game because just having it triggered that slide.
It's been a while since I last played wrath, so maybe they changed it up.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It basically means any party can beat Nocticula without Vision/a paladin. Desi could just have pointed to that item and said "hah!" and it would be case closed. Unless there's a hitch that I'm missing. You have to do Iz to get it, but I don't think that matters. Doesn't make the fight any less specific and there still aren't any fights like it afaik, but it does mean there's an out that doesn't require warping character builds except for Last Stand on people who can't make the Wail-save - and honestly, I'm now totally on "Everyone should get Last Stand as early as possible on Unfair - Change my mind"-team anyway. Anyone can basically pick this mask up and find some kind of way to beat the fight if their party is otherwise decent

Last edited:

IllusiveBrian

Novice
It basically means any party can beat Nocticula without Vision/a paladin. Desi could just have pointed to that item and said "hah!" and it would be case closed. Unless there's a hitch that I'm missing. You have to do Iz to get it, but I don't think that matters. Doesn't make the fight any less specific and there still aren't any fights like it afaik, but it does mean there's an out that doesn't require warping character builds except for Last Stand on people who can't make the Wail-save. Anyone can basically pick this one up and find some kind of way to beat the fight if their party is otherwise decent
If you're using items like that could you equip someone with White Dragon? Or drop Caustic Eruption on the party before starting the fight?

My choice would rather be Protective Luck.
Her DCs aren't great for Slumber - Ember is better for it.

Camelia does Protective Luck and Evil Eye in my teams.

Later in Act 1 the sequence goes: Cam Evil Eye -> Daeran Demoralize -> Ember Slumber -> Seelah or MC with a glaive (x3 crit mod is fairly important) Coup de Grace
Yeah, it was a hard choice. I almost went with protective luck, but it seemed a bit boring. I generally prefer offensive CC over buffing. I have never played with Hex mechanics before, so I’m experimenting. I went with misfortune because it would also soften up targets for my MC’s spells. With my small party crutching on Seelah at the moment, protective luck would be much more useful.

Greetings fellow rules lawyers

mbsx3iz.png

According to this feat as written, you should be immune to ALL penalties while shield bashing. Even gods should be unable to debuff your attack roll. If you asked your DM to let you attack the Sun and he said "OK but you take a -1000 penalty to the roll" you should be able to respond with "I negate that with my shield master and attack normally". Unfortunately it doesn't work properly and instead only negates the penalties from two weapon fighting, so will one of you report it to Owlcat? Hopefully the guy who just fixed natural attacks will get right on this so that the game is made to be working properly.

EDIT: Apparently this is a common observation for the Pathfinder rules. heh, too late I guess.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Greetings fellow rules lawyers

mbsx3iz.png

According to this feat as written, you should be immune to ALL penalties while shield bashing. Even gods should be unable to debuff your attack roll. If you asked your DM to let you attack the Sun and he said "OK but you take a -1000 penalty to the roll" you should be able to respond with "I negate that with my shield master and attack normally". Unfortunately it doesn't work properly and instead only negates the penalties from two weapon fighting, so will one of you report it to Owlcat? Hopefully the guy who just fixed natural attacks will get right on this so that the game is made to be working properly.

EDIT: Apparently this is a common observation for the Pathfinder rules. heh, too late I guess.

Unrelated: does power attack (or piranha strike) apply do shield dmg?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It basically means any party can beat Nocticula without Vision/a paladin. Desi could just have pointed to that item and said "hah!" and it would be case closed. Unless there's a hitch that I'm missing. You have to do Iz to get it, but I don't think that matters. Doesn't make the fight any less specific and there still aren't any fights like it afaik, but it does mean there's an out that doesn't require warping character builds except for Last Stand on people who can't make the Wail-save. Anyone can basically pick this one up and find some kind of way to beat the fight if their party is otherwise decent
If you're using items like that could you equip someone with White Dragon? Or drop Caustic Eruption on the party before starting the fight?

White Dragon is decent though restrictive with the range. Unfortunately I had sold mine when the Natural Attack nerf forced me to switch builds. I used the Aura Shield (equipped on evil character can deal damage to party) and some other misc things. But remember you're relying on a certain initiative order for "waking up" to work - if you wake up a character who is after Nocti in the initiative order, they'll just get re-fascinated before their turn. So you can't necessarily rely on waking up people, you have to have a strategy that will work with a poor initiative order (or be prepared for reloads).

Unrelated: does power attack (or piranha strike) apply do shield dmg?

Power Attack yes, not sure on piranha strike. Might depend on shield size but I would never assume that to be implemented properly without testing.

It should technically have the PA/PS penalty negated according to Shield Master, but doesn't.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Archery is surprisingly fun in this game, or at least this weird Divine Hunter/Sohei/Magus build I've got going is is. A million attacks with easy crits from crossbow means Cleaving Shots pops off constantly with explosions left and right. Hardly the most efficient build but as far as magical christmas lights lighting up the screen, Shadowkiss definetely goes boom

Yosharian

Arcane
This game is honestly fucking gruelling. That is the adjective that best describes my feelings right now. It's a fucking chore at times. I really enjoy the high points when you fight important enemies and the story hits its most exciting moments. But the fucking endless trash mobs, boneheaded, exploitable AI, and the sheer amount of filler content, is just exhausting. Not to mention the absolute trash heap that is the 'crusade' mode.

In many ways it's a massive improvement over KM, but there are so many mistakes from that game that they have just repeated here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom