Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm confused

I haven't fought Mephistopheles. I think I would remember :lol:
Oh shit I got confused yeah you were fighting Noct

Sorry yeah I guess I did spoil that haha

I did spoiler tag the images tbf

Man I don’t mind at all, really. Seeing tidbits like that doesn’t matter to me, since it essentially changes little in my actual playthrough (whereas resorting to guides would change a lot).

Just finished Daeran’s quest. Very disappointing tbh - setup for his character and background were fantastic, early quests very well done, and then it just ends in a fart

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
"all Unfair parties should be able to make that save" rather than claiming it'll just get easier or harder "depending on your party's strengths and weaknesses" - which is funny because again, my only claim was that that was indeed the case with every other fight in the game, whereas this one requires something very specific, so QED).
For fuck sake. If you've got to lie about what somebody is saying, maybe check your priors, asshole. You don't have to make the save right away, you get a new chance every round, *and* there are other ways around it. If you don't at least have the ability to get some of your party over 40 Fort Save you shouldn't be playing Unfair. You're pretending like I'm saying you should be able to hit 60.

A party that does things like using a late Feat + Mythic to get advantage on a weak save and pays attention to -yeah- spells like Transformation (sorry for expecting you to be able to read your goddamned spells if you're playing Unfair) will have it easier, but the game gives you an out (since Fascinate is easier to deal with than other conditions) if say you were relying on things like Immunties and Rupture instead. I like a mix myself.

And so I was right about breaking it with damage too. You don't have to make the save at all if you've used the best Mounted ability in the game and strategically use your Mount to break out the character(s) you need to break out everybody else and can finish out fights (which you're description of the Abode fight suggests you're struggling with as well).

If she applies it every round you can time it to break somebody out midround who can break out rest of your team.

Desiderius

Patron
PSA: If anyone tells you this game is pozzed through and through, tell them to go the chicken statue in Desolate Thicket, make the Perception check and read this Crumpled Note.

Honestly one of the better written digs at identity politics I've read in a video game. It even pokes fun at islam
>spams gays and trannies in our face at every turn
>but here's an obscure 0.00001% of the game making fun of that stuff so it balances out
It's a mix, with it tilted more toward the Poz than P:K. They do frontload the in the face stuff because it's the funders and the journos they buy who demand it and they only play the first part of games.

This is just delusional, honestly. Women in plate armor all over again

A warrior-Monarch, mighty Paladin, leader of 100 years worth of Crusades against Demons, defender of the realms of man.

Yeah, say what you will, but nobody's first association after reading that sentence without knowing the context is "woman in plate armor". :lol:
Some defense. She's been getting owned for centuries and unnaturally turning herself into a Lich to boot, preventing anyone better from arising.

Dog in the Manger.

Desiderius

Patron
Minagho fight in Act 4

Van Aeon 15 vs Unfair Minagho.jpg

Had already burned Invis, Greaters (and some other one-shot stuff) fighting Soul Hunter, so didn't get extra damage packets here from the Hide Armor pictured in last shots (and AB significantly lower too) but did get surprise and initiative for flat-footed.

Bismuth vs Unfair Minagho.jpg

Decided to trigger the Creeping Doom trap to finish her off with Bismuth. Game gives you a free pet might as well use it? Seems good. Maybe it will be a meme someday. No Animool Domain needed.

Tank Seelah 15 dodging Unfair Bodyguard.jpg

The extra cash from Grotto letting you buy infinite Diamond Dust is nice to fuel always up Stoneskins (maybe those will be getting bypassed soon). For some reason though tanky Seelah seems to have some sort of undocumented taunt so the odd mob that gets attacks off through Persistent Phantasmal Web often just burns them on Seelah anyway. Can see team randomly making saves here vs opponent's Web. Team is probably in the mid-30s on average at this point, though Aeon will eventually give everyone some immunties.

Summons AB Unfair.jpg

Been emptying out my summons on last major fight before a rest to see how they do on Unfair without any summoning focus abilities. Seems like they're getting some decent hits in already. If I design around it should be able to get there.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
How did you fuck up so badly that Regill left you? Dude loved even my Azata and Demon MCs.

The choices aren't displayed, but I'm pretty sure my friendliness with his personal quest succubus was Strike 1, and Strike 2 (might even overrule all other decisions) was DEFINETELY offering a deal to Baphomet.

Chaotic paths like Demon and Azata also got a strike as soon as you choose them at MR3.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
How did you fuck up so badly that Regill left you? Dude loved even my Azata and Demon MCs.

The choices aren't displayed, but I'm pretty sure my friendliness with his personal quest succubus was Strike 1, and Strike 2 (might even overrule all other decisions) was DEFINETELY offering a deal to Baphomet.

Chaotic paths like Demon and Azata also got a strike as soon as you choose them at MR3.

Yeah, but Lambach was also playing Demon, so I focused on the stuff I probably did different to him

So exactly how do Natural Attacks work now? Everyone is simply capped at 2 claws (only if hand/hands are free), 1 bite, 1 gore, aside from animal companions with iteratives? Is the cap different for animal companions based on their # of limbs?

So I now have TTT working, and it's completely scuttled my build strategies. There are so many more options now. I wish I had more feats, particularly for metamagics. Intensified Spell is obviously grand and would pair excellently with Bolster. I'm also tantalized by using Elemental Spell to split my damage 50:50 to a different type than the base spell to trigger Elemental Barrage. This is just the tip of the iceberg. It's making me want to forsake Trickster mythic path and go Legend just so I have more to mess around with.

Edit: I'm thinking about dipping Lore Master to get Dispelling Attack for my Arcane Trickster. Surprise Spells should cause this to trigger, correct? The thought of my sneak attacking AoEs triggering elemental barrage and dispelling everyone seems insanely OP.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
So I now have TTT working, and it's completely scuttled my build strategies. There are so many more options now. I wish I had more feats, particularly for metamagics. Intensified Spell is obviously grand and would pair excellently with Bolster. I'm also tantalized by using Elemental Spell to split my damage 50:50 to a different type than the base spell to trigger Elemental Barrage. This is just the tip of the iceberg. It's making me want to forsake Trickster mythic path and good Legend just so I have more to mess around with.

Edit: I'm thinking about dipping Lore Master to get Dispelling Attack for my Arcane Trickster. Surprise Spells should cause this to trigger, correct? The thought of my sneak attacking AoEs triggering elemental barrage and dispelling everyone seems insanely OP.
I'd recommend pairing Dark Codex with it. If you like nuking don't sleep on Angel but most of the stuff you're talking about is on the wrong scale to be P, let alone OP. Eventually unlocking Surprise Spells can be fine but that's relatively late in the game and the bosses are bigger issues than the adds in any case (adds can usually just be controlled while damage is better against bosses with saves too high to reliably control). Dispelling isn't great since the things you'd want to Dispel have very high DCs.

Desiderius Dark Codex is a mod? If so, half of the features look homebrew. Not sure I want to wade into that yet. I considered Angel for the extra dice, particularly for magic missile shenanigans. Trickster mythic supports AT too much for me to ignore. Angel path will have to wait. Surprise Spells should come in pretty close to mind-game. One thing to consider, is that I will be playing on Core or Hard. I will be sticking close to the TT rules, so I won't have to bleed every +1 out of every ability every fight.

I usually focus more on CC than damage, but Owlcat highly favors DPS. Dispelling Strike works just like Dispel Magic, but uses Character Level instead of Caster Level. If Dispel Magic works, then so will Dispelling Strike. TTT fixes the bug, and it only affects defenses, not debuffs. Mythic Tricks Stealth and UMD will assure I have an infinite salvo of this without having to bother with mythic Trickery or memorizing dispels. Some spells hit more than once, so it will even function like a pseudo Greater Dispel for things like Scorching Ray or Battering Blast. Possibly better since each instance will give me another chance to beat the check.

Every feat normally available is supposed to be also available if you take "Extra Feat" as one of your mythics feats, right? It's not intentionally a subset of the normal feats available?

Because it looks like while they added Lunge to the normal feats list they didn't add it to this list and my build is fucked. No big deal since I was just prototyping it in Inevitable Excess so its just 10 minutes wasted, but imagine if this happened in a real game. Why would these even be two separate lists? Wonder if there are other feats that are just missing from the list and it hasn't been noticed/reported/fixed in all this time.

EDIT: By the way, now that Lunge exists, does anyone know the ramifications of riding your pet that has Lunge (and therefore reach) while you don't? I know the opposite used to have issues (which seem to have been fixed, though I know people seem to find edge cases where it fails), but has anyone tested this? I think the way its *supposed* to work is that you can benefit and still hit anything the pet can, which also makes sense because if the pet can lunge for itself it should be able to lunge for you and you shouldn't need to lunge yourself, but is that how it works in game?

EDIT2: Pet Lunge w/o player Lunge seems to work fine for attack. Which is super awesome. You need to order the pet to make the attack though, not the character, otherwise you will close in to non-lunge range before making the attack. Haven't tested if the increased range counts for AoOs though which is a lot harder. Given that you have to initiate attacks with the pet for the game to take into account your increased range I'm going to hazard a guess that you don't get the AoO threatening range without having lunge for yourself. But guesses are a total crapshoot with this game as anyone knows.

EDIT3: Actually having lunge yourself doesn't even change your automatic attack distance while riding a pet. So I'm guessing its just useless and unnecessary if you plan to ride your pet, just give it to the pet.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Seems like this could be pretty good for Demon looking to survive a Wail, Grunker:

Necro Immune.jpg

Though I've been told that there's only one way to beat that fight.

Tao

Augur
Should i go full 10 levels on Loremaster on my Exploiter Wizard? I dont see the downside beside that idk what spell should i pick from the druid and cleric spell list. Is bless of the salamander positive or negative healing? On that note, what combat/rogue feat do you guys like more for a spellcaster mc

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Seems like this could be pretty good for Demon looking to survive a Wail, Grunker:

View attachment 32086

No, for quite obvious reasons. You can’t activate Demonic Rage until your first turn of combat, so by then you’re already dead. It’s not like normal rage that can be toggled outside of combat.

Besides that, Wail is not the primary issue. Wail is ”only” DC 49 and can be survived with Last Stand. As I’ve already stated many times, while this is still a uniquely specific requirement unlike any other fight, it’s still less of a burden on your builds.

Now tell me how to survive Seductive Presence without being minmaxed for the save and provide example fights with a similar requirement.

Should probably save the gloating for relevant, let alone correct, info. Even if the amulet worked like you thought it did, you wouldn’t survive the fight with it.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron

View attachment 32086

No, for quite obvious reasons. You can’t activate Demonic Rage until your first turn of combat, so by then you’re already dead. It’s not like normal rage that can be toggled outside of combat.

Besides that, Wail is not the primary issue. Wail is ”only” DC 49 and can be survived with Last Stand. As I’ve already stated many times, while this is still a uniquely specific requirement unlike any other fight, it’s still less of a burden on your builds.

Now tell me how to survive Seductive Presence without being minmaxed for the save and provide example fights with a similar requirement.

Should probably save the gloating for relevant, let alone correct, info. Even if the amulet worked like you thought it did, you wouldn’t survive the fight with it.
I’ve already told you three times exactly how to do it but you’re so stuck in your butt-hurt you refuse to even read it.

The way you describe the fight it’s taking you several rounds in one of which you would activate your Rage before she re-ups the Presence on you and/or it can be applied once you make a lucky save. Again I’m talking about your hypothetical party that should be playing Unfair despite your MC having a low Fort Save. Use the Amulet to survive the Wail once your MC gets woken up by the Indomitable Mount or somebody who made a lucky save waking up team.

Understand that I wouldn’t bother to disturb your single-player experience here but this sort of nonsense is why we don’t get great design in the first place and when we do it gets nerfed beyond recognition.

Let the Hardest difficulty be for the best players. There’s no dishonor in playing the one that fits your skill/commitment level.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So I now have TTT working, and it's completely scuttled my build strategies. There are so many more options now. I wish I had more feats, particularly for metamagics. Intensified Spell is obviously grand and would pair excellently with Bolster. I'm also tantalized by using Elemental Spell to split my damage 50:50 to a different type than the base spell to trigger Elemental Barrage. This is just the tip of the iceberg. It's making me want to forsake Trickster mythic path and go Legend just so I have more to mess around with.

I don't think Surprise Spells have anything to do with dispelling attacks.
It MIGHT work with touch attack spells regardless. Meanwhile aoe spells have no attack rolls, so should probably never qualify.

Haven't seen reports about Elemental Spells + Barrage being OP. But it IS a cool concept I've pondered before.

Note that Bolster is probably of little use for an AT, as it blocks sneak damage dice.
Although sadly its often better.

With TTT another good late game path for AT would be Gold Dragon. TTT has a Mythic to boost size of sneak dice (d8). And Gold Dragon boosts the damage dice as well.

For rays with the Trickster critical feats, TTT also allows sneak dice to crit with a Mythic Ability.

Last edited:
Haplo SRD + WotR verbiage both say "Opponents that are dealt sneak attack damage by a rogue with this ability are affected by a targeted dispel magic,..." SRD uses rogue level, Owlcat uses character level, which opens the door for the concept. Hopefully its a deliberate wording change.

Dispelling strike doesn't say anything about an attack roll. I understand that Surprise Spells is a highly unique circumstance, but RAW should permit it. I won't be able to try it out until around level 15, so I have a long wait.

I am thinking Ray of Halberds will be the Elemental meta/barrage spell of choice. It gives 1 ray per 2 char levels, no cap. With items like Amulet of the Asp and Gloves of Treacherous Flame, it should trigger multiple barrages each ray (that hits).

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
OP in the fun department definitely. If you can work Fish Missile in there I'll be in awe.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Grunker said:

Desiderius said:
I can’t

I know.

Desiderius said:
Let the Hardest difficulty be for the best players.

:lol: Are you like a League of Legends player “go uninstall dude play Tetris”. So badass.

Difficulty is the primary, number 1, uncontested reason I love this game compared to Kingmaker which I merely like. Its felt like a Challenge almost every step of the way, and especially the optional fights are cool. Playful Darkness and Hidden Abode are my favorite fights for sure, but Nocticula is still up there with the memorable ones.

Well, until mid Chapter 5 where everything has turned into a cakewalk, but in this rather than Kingmaker it somehow feels earned. You’re the shit now, congrats.

Last edited:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Should i go full 10 levels on Loremaster on my Exploiter Wizard? I dont see the downside beside that idk what spell should i pick from the druid and cleric spell list. Is bless of the salamander positive or negative healing? On that note, what combat/rogue feat do you guys like more for a spellcaster mc

Nuker or DC? I guess DC since exploiter? Anyway, greater command and fire storm are solid picks.

Tao

Augur
DC

I'll have Greater Command in mind, it seems a really nice option for cc. Maybe resurrect? it onehit ko undeads in this game? or something more thematic like harm, slay living or mass critical wounds.

For druid idk, nothing really calls me. Maybe changestaff for the meme rolplay. I would like to pick elder worm or vengeful wind but another level 9 spell is too much even with increased spell slots (and i dont going to waste a mythic power for just a summon to be usefull being a necromancer when it doenst work on created undead spell serie or on the summons the mythic path give you for free as spell like ability). For starters i'm going to pick bless of the salamander to see if i can use it on my undead: 5 hp perman healing for 24h with the two mythic powers looks a "bit" broken.

Anyways I still have a few levels to decide, maybe ill just pick the save throws secrets and call it the day.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
DC

I'll have Greater Command in mind, it seems a really nice option for cc. Maybe resurrect? it onehit ko undeads in this game? or something more thematic like harm, slay living or mass critical wounds.

For druid idk, nothing really calls me. Maybe changestaff for the meme rolplay. I would like to pick elder worm or vengeful wind but another level 9 spell is too much even with increased spell slots (and i dont going to waste a mythic power for just a summon to be usefull being a necromancer when it doenst work on created undead spell serie or on the summons the mythic path give you for free as spell like ability). For starters i'm going to pick bless of the salamander to see if i can use it on my undead: 5 hp perman healing for 24h with the two mythic powers looks a "bit" broken.

Anyways I still have a few levels to decide, maybe ill just pick the save throws secrets and call it the day.

Fire storm is in the druid spell list. And Greater command in the cleric one (don't know if its in the druid as well).
There's also Creeping doom in the druid spell list btw.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Haplo SRD + WotR verbiage both say "Opponents that are dealt sneak attack damage by a rogue with this ability are affected by a targeted dispel magic,..." SRD uses rogue level, Owlcat uses character level, which opens the door for the concept. Hopefully its a deliberate wording change.

Dispelling strike doesn't say anything about an attack roll. I understand that Surprise Spells is a highly unique circumstance, but RAW should permit it. I won't be able to try it out until around level 15, so I have a long wait.

I am thinking Ray of Halberds will be the Elemental meta/barrage spell of choice. It gives 1 ray per 2 char levels, no cap. With items like Amulet of the Asp and Gloves of Treacherous Flame, it should trigger multiple barrages each ray (that hits).
Huh, would be really interesting if it works. And Ray of Halberds.... pretty late game stuff, but quite genious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom