Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Sentinel

Arcane
Senior game design student about to graduate here. Just letting you know this game is generally considered to be a joke in the more elite gaming circles.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Apparently this will be part of the new humble bundle, but just the base game without the DLCs. Are any of them worth playing?
Apparently 3 is okay-ish if you like somewhat challenging dungeon diving. It can also feed useful loot for the main campaign.

Elttharion

Learned
Apparently this will be part of the new humble bundle, but just the base game without the DLCs. Are any of them worth playing?
Apparently 3 is okay-ish if you like somewhat challenging dungeon diving. It can also feed useful loot for the main campaign.
Thanks, I will probably skip the bundle in the end since the other big game is Fallout 76.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Desiderius Both Veils and Favor are personal buffs, and Paladin is not a Brown Fur Transmuter (by default). So there are not that many unique Paladin buffs that can be shared; actually, what else do you consider useful besides Bless Weapon?

Auras do not count, as they are 1 cast for the whole party.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Desiderius Both Veils and Favor are personal buffs, and Paladin is not a Brown Fur Transmuter (by default). So there are not that many unique Paladin buffs that can be shared; actually, what else do you consider useful besides Bless Weapon?

I just listed them. Abundant is a good first Mythic for vanilla and you usually can get away with choosing the appropriate Veil for where you are (I’m too lazy for that) so that leaves several slots for Bless Weapon if you want it.

Goes especially well with Keen Scimitar you find in Drezen on Pal (or Abrupt Force + Divine Weapon Bond Keen before that), ZA Lann with Improved Crit, Cam with Rapier Enchanted Keen, and MC with wide crit build.

(Much) less useful on lower difficulties/vs non-bosses where you can just confirm crits naturally. Also can come in handy if you are romancing Galfrey for some reason so need the Good Alignment.

As for Enduring, the convenience can be nice if you’re avoiding autobuffers. Kind of missing half the game if you do that tho and two Mythics is very steep price. Ever Ready is amazing if you’re crit-chaining a lot. Improved Initiative Mythic to get Mark down and Evo focus for Archon’s are also very good. Obv Last Stand, Rupture, etc…

There are no situations in game where you’d need Enduring on Pal strategically. Plenty of rest available and auto-crit confirm should be a boss fight thing anyway.

Once Pal hits CL6 (lvl 9) Divine Favor becomes relevant for boss fight maxxing. At CL9 it’s something to keep up as much as you can so then you can start looking at how much you really have been needing Bless Weapon to free up those slots. Favor turns into Burn spell that requires no action econ tacked onto +3 attack bonus.

Desiderius

Patron
Bestow Grace is another important unique Pal buff at lvl 2. Great on Sos and Ember. Good thing to take into account when choosing MC alignment.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, I almost never have more than 1 Good companion, so that's that. Abundant on a Paladin is very good as Paladins have spells only up to the 4th circle - which means 1 Abundant covers 3 out of 4 available spell circles. Enduring.. yes, it is too expensive IMHO.

Also, why don't you mention Grave Singer in your weapon list? It is an 18-20 critical range great axe (though it can be made into other axes). I think it's ideal for Seelah on a horse.

Desiderius

Patron
Well, I almost never have more than 1 Good companion, so that's that. Abundant on a Paladin is very good as Paladins have spells only up to the 4th circle - which means 1 Abundant covers 3 out of 4 available spell circles. Enduring.. yes, it is too expensive IMHO.

Also, why don't you mention Grave Singer in your weapon list? It is an 18-20 critical range great axe (though it can be made into other axes). I think it's ideal for Seelah on a horse.
Horse is not great for Seelah at all since she starts with two Feats that are wasted Mounted. Now that Magic Weapon, Greater no longer stacks Divine Weapon Bond is too good to give up. She'll be bypassing DR a Chapter earlier than other companions, can add Keen at will, and eventually gets Brilliant Energy which is outstanding in this setting against the bosses where it's needed. Grave Singer can be made either off-hand, main-hand, or two-hand. Not a great fit for Seelah due her having higher saves already so she doesn't need the condition removal nearly as often. I did mention it for MC or another companion. Scimitar is good for Bless Weapon crit-fishing but I also like Balanced Defender when Shield Bashing since it gives +3 untyped AB to both hands.

Mounted Pal with two-hander can be a decent MC if you don't want to bring Seelah. She sets up well for either tanking with Tower or Shield Bashing (doubles up Smite bonus and there are some ridiculous bashing shields) off-tank. Casting MC Pal would require DLC with all Good Companions to unlock Bestow Grace and Holy Whisper (or even Challenge Evil if you can pull off Azata Pal) but I can't get DCs high enough in main game with Seelah to make it work/worth it above Core (not enough Good companions either). Something like Mounted Divine Hunter with Persistent Holy Whisper into Arrows of Law could be good, and your Archon's would be better too.

Key Pal spells:

Lvl1: Veils, Bless Weapon, Divine Favor
Lvl2: Effortless Armor, Aura of Greater Courage, Bestow Grace
Lvl3: Archons
Lvl4: Aspect Greater, Holy Sword, Eaglesoul, Inspiring Recovery

Pal spells to save slots on other casters (letting them focus on offensive casting/non-situational stuff)

Lvl1: Unbreakable Heart, Resto, Lesser
Lvl2: Prot Communal, Remove Paralysis, Stat buffs (not great since lower CL)
Lvl3: Delay Communal, Remove Blindness, Resist Communal (extra casts are good situationally, but lower CL hurts)
Lvl4: Edge, Death Ward, Burst, Resto

Caster Pal (MC and/or Core and below)

Lvl1: Challenge Evil (Enc), Stunning Barrier (Abj)
Lvl2: Arrow of Law (Evo), Litanies (not great since need Swifts for Smite/Mark)
Lvl3: Archon's (Evo), Whisper (Evo), Prayer (will need Mythic Spell Pen anyway)
Lvl4: Resounding Blow (Evo), Forced Repentance (Enc), Chains (Conj)

Either Evo with Favorite Meta Persistent or Azata for Favorable Magic and Enchantment boost could do ok. Whisper is AoE Sicken + +2 Sacred bonus for (Good) team, Arrow dazes Demons with decent touch damage against them. Obviously getting Archon's DC high is good. Resounding procs Stagger every hit. Alternatively Azata could use Challenge, Litany of Eloquence, and Forced Repentance with high DCs to debuff/take out key targets. Don't need many spells if you've got good ones that can land but that's an uphill battle on Pal.

Desiderius

Patron
(I think Seelah's starting Feats are hints at good dips for her to fulfill her ultimate destiny)

Dodge is pre-req for Crane and Shield Focus encourages TSS. Monk lvl turns on Monk equipment (like Robes) as well. When she finally gets there she's a really good tank on any difficulty especially with UMD for Seamantle, Frightful, and Image wand.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

I just listed them. Abundant is a good first Mythic for vanilla and you usually can get away with choosing the appropriate Veil for where you are (I’m too lazy for that) so that leaves several slots for Bless Weapon if you want it.

Goes especially well with Keen Scimitar you find in Drezen on Pal (or Abrupt Force + Divine Weapon Bond Keen before that), ZA Lann with Improved Crit, Cam with Rapier Enchanted Keen, and MC with wide crit build.

(Much) less useful on lower difficulties/vs non-bosses where you can just confirm crits naturally. Also can come in handy if you are romancing Galfrey for some reason so need the Good Alignment.

As for Enduring, the convenience can be nice if you’re avoiding autobuffers. Kind of missing half the game if you do that tho and two Mythics is very steep price. Ever Ready is amazing if you’re crit-chaining a lot. Improved Initiative Mythic to get Mark down and Evo focus for Archon’s are also very good. Obv Last Stand, Rupture, etc…

There are no situations in game where you’d need Enduring on Pal strategically. Plenty of rest available and auto-crit confirm should be a boss fight thing anyway.

Once Pal hits CL6 (lvl 9) Divine Favor becomes relevant for boss fight maxxing. At CL9 it’s something to keep up as much as you can so then you can start looking at how much you really have been needing Bless Weapon to free up those slots. Favor turns into Burn spell that requires no action econ tacked onto +3 attack bonus.

Yeah, I suppose for most builds, Greater Enduring on Seelah is a waste. Except when you want a source of Shield buff and will dip 3 Vivisectionist (which, granted, is not a very good RP choice). Then I'd argue she's useful with Greater Enduring for Shield and Bless Weapon, is she not?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
(I think Seelah's starting Feats are hints at good dips for her to fulfill her ultimate destiny)

Dodge is pre-req for Crane and Shield Focus encourages TSS. Monk lvl turns on Monk equipment (like Robes) as well. When she finally gets there she's a really good tank on any difficulty especially with UMD for Seamantle, Frightful, and Image wand.
Then I simply respec her. Or would eat the wasted feats if I absolutely need to.
Mounted paladin >>>> Pedestrian Paladin.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Senior game design student about to graduate here. Just letting you know this game is generally considered to be a joke in the more elite gaming circles.
CIA here. Just letting you know this lengthy file says you're a giant fag.
Dr. Pavel here. If you got time to make files on random codexers you got time to send me my flight you goddamn slacker.

Angthoron

Arcane
Recurring shitposter here.

I'm generally recurring on Codex in 2023 to shitpost, troll and be edgy, but I'll be honest and positive for a moment:

I really enjoyed WotR. It's got a lot of issues, is buggy AF and the "HoMM" aspect of the game was underbaked as fuck, but despite all the issues and despite the fact that I must've spent 5 hours using a mod to fix all my SUCCESSFULLY FULFILLED secret ending triggers, I found the game very hooking and enjoyable.

Hell, I even completed it and began a new game, not really a thing that happens anymore.

Desiderius

Patron

Then I simply respec her. Or would eat the wasted feats if I absolutely need to.
Mounted paladin >>>> Pedestrian Paladin.
That’s where you’re wrong, kiddo. (I was too, also about the dips, at least in her case)

I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that Owlcat put in an undocumented taunt on her. She draws all the heat if you tank her up and open combat with her. It’s easier to get there on the AC modded but she definitely can even in vanilla. Modded also has more speed solutions, though vanilla has Effortless, Haste, Drovier etc already.

I’m liking mounts on ranged to get Snap Shots turned on. Combat Reflexes on Lann is the hint there. There’s enough leeway to win on any difficulty while still developing the companions in a way consistent with dev’s vision. Then you can experiment with other stuff but the dev's version turns out to be *really* good.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Vivi for Mutagen and Shield is ok I guess? I don't have any other zero BAB levels with Monk and TSS splash.

Which characters need a Shield bonus that don't already have access to it? Sos? Vanilla Sos can wear the Heavy that gives Shield Bonus equal to Weapon Enchant and +5 Glaive is in Fane. Mounts of course, but haven't had much trouble keeping them alive already. Maybe that's because Seelah is drawing all the heat lol.

16 Pal lvl gets the Brilliant Energy Divine Weapon Bond, 13 Greater Angelic, 11 Mark. So after that I'm open to it if MC needs Shield. Don't need Enduring to just spike with it as needed.

samoilaaa

Educated
is it true that the game barely has any straight male companions?

im thinking of playing this game , should i ? ( i think i already know the anwer to this question ) :-D

Desiderius

Patron
I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that Owlcat put in an undocumented taunt on her. She draws all the heat if you tank her up and open combat with her.

Don't think so unless it's from one of your mods. Things focus on whatever they see first.
Since I'm opening with Seelah Charge in TB and I like to put Stealth on everything I can that's probably often the case. But I've definitely had things continue to focus on her after other characters are well in view. Doubt it has anything to do with mods.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that Owlcat put in an undocumented taunt on her. She draws all the heat if you tank her up and open combat with her.

Don't think so unless it's from one of your mods. Things focus on whatever they see first.
Since I'm opening with Seelah Charge in TB and I like to put Stealth on everything I can that's probably often the case. But I've definitely had things continue to focus on her after other characters are well in view. Doubt it has anything to do with mods.
Yeah they're a bit "sticky" afterwards. As far as I can tell, enemies tend to only swap targets once they've missed several times in a row. Other than that, they're just on that first target unless they have cleaves or aoe.

Desiderius

Patron
PD left Seelah to Charge Sos, then Lann, then MC in repeated attempts to test Seelah AC against him. Other than that haven’t seen it much, especially with hidden archers. They love to miss Seelah.

Not thrilled with the HoMM minigame. I liked kingdom management in KM, but this is just drudgery. Overall liking WotR, even if every non-generic crusader NPC is some strong lesbian.

razvedchiki

Magister
for folk that use toybox, im trying to respawn the second random woljif encounter in act 3 with the ritual and the traps with no luck so far. the quest somehow failed after i got the first random encounter, but never got the second despite travelling multiple times between lost chapel-green gates/wintersun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom