Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Yosharian

Arcane
Metal Curse says hi

Was that one introduced in a recent patch? I don't remember it at all and I'm pretty sure I would've been taking it on Camellia all the time if I had the option. :M
Unfortunately because Camellia has a shit archetype that ruins the class (yeah I changed my mind fast on that one having played the class a bit more), it's quite hard to get. You have to spend your second spirit choice on Stone in order to get it. Which nobody wants to do, because Stone's other abilities are pure shite.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
You have to spend your second spirit choice on Stone in order to get it. Which nobody wants to do, because Stone's other abilities are pure shite.

If I understand the description correctly, it seems worth it, tho, because it looks totally busted at later levels.

Get one Full Attack off with a Hasted lvl 16 Regill and that's a -48 AC penalty for 3 Rounds afterwards. Fucking devastating against powerful single targets, assuming that's how it works.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Metal Curse doesn't work at all, or hasn't at any point that we've tested it. Hexes (Hampering Hex from Cam for instance, or Evil Eye from Ember) scale up to -6 at lvl 16. And yes shaving off 6 AC no save, no SR is something that's worth doing in situations where Mass True Strike would also be good.

True Strike is fine if you've got a big Vital Strike to land or whatever, but if you want it there are all kinds of ways to get it already and it isn't necessary with Guarded Hearth/Brilliant Energy/Mark of Justice/etc already available. With Cam/Ember you're also getting a full caster while with Sensei you're getting a Monk without Flurry and a modest Competence bonus that gets outclassed by Hearth when you need it.

I've got Regill full Martial Intimidator with three Domains and +3 stacking AoE AB/Dam/AC instead of Hexes.

Once again, Lambach, you have no idea WTF you're talking about.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Stone's other abilities are pure shite
Greater Trip (Stone Stability) at the cost of a Hex isn't shite. Stoneskin gives her a usable spell at 5 if you don't respec her as STR-based, which granted is a better fit with the archetype. Stoneskin, Communal is also useful with the infinite Diamond Dust the ship DLC adds to the game.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
And yes shaving off 6 AC no save, no SR is something that's worth doing in situations where Mass True Strike would also be good.

Depends on your Party. Lowering the target's AC from 78 to 72 doesn't do diddly squat if your highest ABs in the Party are about 50.

True Strike is fine if you've got a big Vital Strike to land or whatever, but if you want it there are all kinds of ways to get it already and it isn't necessary with Guarded Hearth/Brilliant Energy/Mark of Justice/etc already available.

Nothing is necessary, there are many ways to tackle almost every encounter. But Offensive Hexes just generally tend to be a sub-par option most of the time (on higher difficulties).

With Cam/Ember you're also getting a full caster while with Sensei you're getting a Monk without Flurry and a modest Competence bonus that gets outclassed by Hearth when you need it.

That's besides the point, I was referring specifically to Hexes vs Sensei abilities. Offensive Hexes just don't scale all that well when the number bloat starts hitting.

Yosharian

Arcane
You have to spend your second spirit choice on Stone in order to get it. Which nobody wants to do, because Stone's other abilities are pure shite.

If I understand the description correctly, it seems worth it, tho, because it looks totally busted at later levels.

Get one Full Attack off with a Hasted lvl 16 Regill and that's a -48 AC penalty for 3 Rounds afterwards. Fucking devastating against powerful single targets, assuming that's how it works.
lmao no dude. it's just -6 AC. still very good, especially when you pair it with Evil Eye.

It can also be cast on any target regardless of immunities, which is very important if you're using Jinx, like I was

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Metal Curse works. For metals, but not for Kinetic Metal Blast.

Trip appears too late, and Camellia is starved for feats anyway.

My rotation for tough single targets is Evil Eye versus Saves, Phantasmal Killer from Nenio, if the enemy survives then Evil Eye AC - this one tends to stick because of debuffed saves - and then Metal Curse.

It is not a silver bullet, and it is not reliable enough for Hard Last Azlanti (I guess) - but for simple Hard it works.

Desiderius

Patron
Metal Curse works. For metals, but not for Kinetic Metal Blast.

Trip appears too late, and Camellia is starved for feats anyway.

My rotation for tough single targets is Evil Eye versus Saves, Phantasmal Killer from Nenio, if the enemy survives then Evil Eye AC - this one tends to stick because of debuffed saves - and then Metal Curse.

It is not a silver bullet, and it is not reliable enough for Hard Last Azlanti (I guess) - but for simple Hard it works.
The point is that Stone Stability gives her all the Trip Feats (and bypasses the usual Combat Expertise prereq) for one Hex. If you're saying that she's Hex starved maybe, but lvl 10 is hardly late.

I hate her companion quest so it's moot for me but Greater Trip for one Feat is a great deal for a CMB/AoO-focused party. Pair with Drovier on Lann for Aspect of Wolf (Swift Trip) Aura and go off, especially if you fix her to make her STR-based.

Desiderius

Patron
And yes shaving off 6 AC no save, no SR is something that's worth doing in situations where Mass True Strike would also be good.

Depends on your Party. Lowering the target's AC from 78 to 72 doesn't do diddly squat if your highest ABs in the Party are about 50.

True Strike is fine if you've got a big Vital Strike to land or whatever, but if you want it there are all kinds of ways to get it already and it isn't necessary with Guarded Hearth/Brilliant Energy/Mark of Justice/etc already available.

Nothing is necessary, there are many ways to tackle almost every encounter. But Offensive Hexes just generally tend to be a sub-par option most of the time (on higher difficulties).

With Cam/Ember you're also getting a full caster while with Sensei you're getting a Monk without Flurry and a modest Competence bonus that gets outclassed by Hearth when you need it.

That's besides the point, I was referring specifically to Hexes vs Sensei abilities. Offensive Hexes just don't scale all that well when the number bloat starts hitting.

If your highest AB is 50 (and you have no other way to lower/bypass AC on top of Hexes) you're playing the wrong difficulty. And here we get back to the "subpar" again. It's not a one-dimensional game. One character providing -6 AC on top of being able to cast (full caster) spells while Cackling/Chanting is fine value. If you had six characters doing that his AC would be 42 and your summons could take him out.

Offensive Hexes bypass SR, do something on made save, are infinite use, and can be maintained with a move action (keeping Standard Action free). They're fine. Note: I'll be using them for the first time is about four playthroughs when Shifter DLC comes out and I go all Chaos. As you note there are several ways to get there. Few if any "subpar."

The irony is that I was the one talking up Sensei in PK when people thought it sucked. It's just not a great fit for this setting, especially if you're having to merc to get it.

Bottom line is that if you restrict yourself to companions you'll have the time/energy to actually read/learn/practice their abilities to the point you can win on any difficulty. Ruleset is simply too big to do that with all the available classes, so people get in a rut on the few they're familiar with (or were memed into) instead of learning the new ones offered by a new game, which is fun.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Something seems wrong here...
7A49ADA368CB722766CF9A214EF6FB74B9A2DE98

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Visiting Iz:

Shield Touch stacking.jpg

The insert is a shot from Seelah's Touch defense on a random fight. I was curious whether the Ray Shield Feat (adds Shield AC to Touch AC - in this case +4 Tower) would stack with Shield Focus Mythic (which does same thing but worded slightly differently) and it turns out that it does. It's not something that comes up often enough for me to usually worry about but thought it would be interesting to test.

The Lann thing is an item you can put in your belt if you've been friendly to Lann. Will check if it stacks with Heroism, Greater on the saves. Also trying to stack about as much initiative as possible.

Beating Deskari Initiative.jpgMythic Suppression ability.jpgMythic Supression on Deskari.jpg

Here it pays off. Been wanting to try out the Mythic Suppression ability, but was skeptical it would work here since it says some things are immune. Not Deskari! His AC went from 75 to 65 and his AB from 99 I think down to 72.

Bismuth Pounce.jpg

That used Standard Action, so activated Aeon stuff at Swift and Studied at Move, then Charged with Bismuth. Somewhere along the way he picked up Pounce.

Lann 20 67 Fortitude.jpg

Hoping to fight Nocti at some point with this Fort Save. Seen it all Before is alternative Ranger Capstone from mod which gives you Favored Enemy bonuses on Saves.

Nenio 20 Hellfire on Deskari.jpg

She's not wearing any of the Fire Equipment so not a ton of damage on Intensified Hellfire with Devouring Lust Rod, but not too bad. You can see poor Seelah got Disarmed when Radiance upgraded at beginning of fight.

Reg 20 failed Intimidate of Deskari.jpg

Even Demythified Deskari is a tough nut to Intimidate. But he was already Shaken from Frightful so this hit Shattered his Defenses. TTT is like tabletop where it takes a hit to turn Shatter on, but Reg also has Mythic Shatter which makes opponent flat-footed for everybody for a round.

Vanguard Aeon 20 finishing off Deskari.jpg

Sos had to burn his turn re-applying Touch of Good to MC along with Guarded Hearth (Swift Zealot), then she finished him off with 74 AB to spare on Unfair Deskari. Looks like something's bugged with Starlight buff maybe causing her Concealment misses (True Seeing, Mass is up and nobody else is rolling for concealment)?

Last edited:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I don't care, I want an alchemist. Also, my Sensei merc has been indispensible. Mass Restoration, Barkskin, and True Strike are great early/mid game.
That isn't what indispensable means. Cam has Barkskins, Ember/Daeran/Sos have Death Ward (or Resto after the fact), and True Strike is one attack. Mass True Strike is nice if you have CMs or proc on hit or whatever, but Sensei doesn't get Mass version until later anyway. You're giving up ability to Hex etc to get that.

Honestly, you exaggerate the difficulty of these games. I've been cruising through Unfair, just finished Chapter 2, and I have yet to encounter any bosses or fights I couldn't beat. On top of that, I did Drezen with my Sensei merc, Lann, my Demonslayer/archer MC, tank Seelah, Regill, and Nenio, which I suspect you'll see as grossly sub-optimal. No Sosiel + Guarded Hearth and no Hexers at all, and it was totally fine. I even got the reward for clearing it early (which maybe isn't hard to do, I don't know, but I didn't expect it as I thought I took too long).

Anyhow, I still want my Alchemist Merc and shall purchase one once I find where the guy who sells them moved to in Drezen. Cope.

Desiderius

Patron
I... just posted a shot of beating Unfair difficulty boss by 74 AB. That isn't exaggerating the difficulty. I'm saying you don't need to force mercs of certain classes. You can play the companions and enjoy learning the new ones. That they end up being better than those mercs is just gravy.

Last edited:

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I'm saying you don't need to force mercs of certain classes.

Lemme see if I can simplify this for you: I don't need to call you a smoothbrain drooling autist, but I'm still going to do it because I enjoy it. Just like I didn't need to bin Camellia for a Brown-Fur Transmuter Merc, but I wanted to, because a min-maxed, fully optimized caster like that just feels better to play with compared to a Party member with mediocre melee abilities, a mediocre Spell List and those gay Hexes you can't stop shoving up your ass that cease being useful after level 6 or so.

Desiderius

Patron
I'm saying you don't need to force mercs of certain classes.

Lemme see if I can simplify this for you: I don't need to call you a smoothbrain drooling autist, but I'm still going to do it because I enjoy it. Just like I didn't need to bin Camellia for a Brown-Fur Transmuter Merc, but I wanted to, because a min-maxed, fully optimized caster like that just feels better to play with compared to a Party member with mediocre melee abilities, a mediocre Spell List and those gay Hexes you can't stop shoving up your ass that cease being useful after level 6 or so.
That... isn't minmaxxing. If you want to play BFT for fun that's fine, but minmaxxing is a different thing. You're just sucking.

Your BFT has to cast six spells and burn six Arcane Pool just to get 2 of that 6 (AB - AC) benefit that Hampering Hex gets in one Standard Action (mods add Mythic to make Hexes Swift). And Hexes are only one third of Cam’s action econ. Cam sux for you because you suck (you fall for memes and don’t read your own spells and abilities).

You. Are. Retarded.

Ultimate Build.jpg

Cam's companion quest makes her unplayable and her custom archetype is a bad fit for DEX-based (a fine thing to fix with Respec mod), but it's not the case that BFT is straight-up better. I played BFT in Alpha and ironically it's about the same solid but unremarkable archetype that Cam's is, it just gets there in a different way and a lot more clicks. Arcanist missing Counterspell is a big downside, as is lack of item support. Your point about Shaman being mediocre at too many things instead of good at one thing is generally a good one (same problem with EK) but the class has enough bells and whistles (like Bane Enemy on top of Weapon Enchants + Divine Power for Melee, Nature's Ally Summons > Wiz/Cleric Summons + utility for casting) along with unlocking Second Spirit Mythic to make up for it, then you can use the Swift Hex Mythic mod to get all the way there if you like the archetype.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
I hate animal companions and mounts, there is a build and party composition to play in unfair viable?
Yes

If you have to ask Unfair isn't the difficulty for you (yet).

Why do you want to play Unfair? It's trash. Just play Hard.
The ultimate value of Unfair tinman once you've learned the game is to make defensive abilities competitive with offensive ones so trade-offs and tactics get more interesting. It even made me appreciate tanking and dips!

aloeh

Novice
I hate animal companions and mounts, there is a build and party composition to play in unfair viable?
Yes

The ultimate value of Unfair tinman once you've learned the game is to make defensive abilities competitive with offensive ones so trade-offs and tactics get more interesting. It even made me appreciate tanking and dips!
It's because every time I look for builds and comments about unfair, there always mounts to tank damage.

I played at launch, made azata and angel run, didn't touch in the game so far. Didn't play the dlcs too.

Yosharian

Arcane
Mounts are just the easiest way to play martials because they are tanky as fuck and give the rider free move + full attack

They aren't necessary but they do make the game super easy

Desiderius

Patron
Yes

It's because every time I look for builds and comments about unfair, there always mounts to tank damage.

I played at launch, made azata and angel run, didn't touch in the game so far. Didn't play the dlcs too.
Unfair is there for when you get too good for Hard. You get good by playing the game and trying things out for yourself to see what works. Try something on Core then if its blowing that out kick it up.

To answer your question yes you can win Unfair without mounts. At this point I think I could almost solo it with tank Seelah (and buffing support) but that's unnecessary.

Desiderius

Patron
Martials do fine without them (and I've modded out the full attack after move cheese anyway - can still get it via Feat chain), but I like them to get Ranged into Snap Shot range and to position casters (Daeran w/ Second Mystery Nature).

Also using the tabletop companion values mod to make them somewhat less absurd (now level like P:K) pets but even when they were vanilla they were less tanky than Seelah and Reg. Usually tanky enough.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Cam's companion quest makes her unplayable
Wut?
I'm not murdering a room full of innocent people, game or not. It's pretty disgusting before then too. Fanfic/writer resentment of customer preferences. "Fine, you want chainmail bikinis - here! (you should have picked meeee!)"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom