Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
the ability to make choices that affect the story (which is the point of playing on story mode)
I disagree. Story mode is only numbers. It does not guarantee anything. Those numbers are supposed to allow even the dumbest buyers to finish the game, but a healthy dose of humiliation for such "gamers" is very useful. And if even crusade on auto is a "brick wall" for them, then they should pirate, refund, or just suffer.

Suffering is good. It either makes people stronger or kills them, and both results are good.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Sorry, but I still do not understand your main thesis (you can consult my nickname if you have any doubts).
I went and tested it and confirmed that yeah, setting the difficulty to story mode doesn't affect crusade battle difficulty at all. Given that there are no options to tune these battles to your own preferences/level of skill, it was the right call for Owlcat to tune the crusade battles so that the largest number of people in their core audience (this includes people who play on story and casual and what they consider "normal" which enables quite a number of things in the player's favor) could beat them, not get brick-walled by them.

That's what Irabeth selling you the army was for*. As well as the Let them flee option for people memed into hating it without even trying it and/or casual/story players which is different.

If you buy the army and fight green battles you can in effect skip the whole thing.

* - this needs to be more obvious for casual/story players

Desiderius

Patron
the ability to make choices that affect the story (which is the point of playing on story mode)
I disagree. Story mode is only numbers. It does not guarantee anything. Those numbers are supposed to allow even the dumbest buyers to finish the game, but a healthy dose of humiliation for such "gamers" is very useful. And if even crusade on auto is a "brick wall" for them, then they should pirate, refund, or just suffer.

Suffering is good. It either makes people stronger or kills them, and both results are good.
I had a game bug out on auto somehow and get into a state where Galfrey never showed up. Auto wasn't implemented well on either game really.

There's a big difference between saying people are too stupid to figure anything out so we should make the game faceroll for everyone and acknowledging that there's a market for chix who just want to follow the story without getting into the details.

S.torch

Arbiter
Can anyone explain to me the chimp rampage of some people in the Warhammer thread? I seriously don't see all the "woke" stuff so many people bloat about in Wrath to justify such a chimp behaviour.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Desiderius I have written this to you at least once: for almost 15 years, FromSoftware has made games that are impossible to finish by an average American. And yet, they are so successful that those games formed its own genre and propelled the studio into the AAA budget range. If even such an extreme case is successful, then Owlcat Games can do anything with its players as long as they keep engaging story and good gameplay.

Desiderius

Patron
Desiderius I have written this to you at least once: for almost 15 years, FromSoftware has made games that are impossible to finish by an average American. And yet, they are so successful that those games formed its own genre and propelled the studio into the AAA budget range. If even such an extreme case is successful, then Owlcat Games can do anything with its players as long as they keep engaging story and good gameplay.
All Americans are above average. That’s our secret.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Can anyone explain to me the chimp rampage of some people in the Warhammer thread? I seriously don't see all the "woke" stuff so many people bloat about in Wrath to justify such a chimp behaviour.
Aside from Anevia/Irabeth, I think it mostly boils down to some gay companions, the Storyteller from Kingmaker suddenly having had a boyfriend, and a few other mentions. There's a thread in this subforum about things people found and disliked.

In general, I just find the writing often mediocre and klunky, but that's not a woke problem it's a wrtiter problem.

scytheavatar

Scholar

Dark Souls games could be completed by scrubs and Button mashers; anyone can complete them as long as they have enough patience. If they don't they can always summon help. That's the secret to the From Software game success, they are marketed as hardcore games but always have been noob/scrub friendly. You struggle and die a lot at first when playing these games but after a while you run circles around the enemies like they are nothing.

Desiderius

Patron
Aside from Anevia/Irabeth, I think it mostly boils down to some gay companions, the Storyteller from Kingmaker suddenly having had a boyfriend, and a few other mentions. There's a thread in this subforum about things people found and disliked.

In general, I just find the writing often mediocre and klunky, but that's not a woke problem it's a wrtiter problem.
Not a boyfriend, a catamite.

It’s also a Poz/woke problem in that they feel compelled to put in de-generate product placement in the stead of natural plot and character development.

Rosey

Novice
The unannounced cap on caster levels after I planned my whole build to be broken by picking legend made me rage and i never beat it. I might come back if they revisit the endless dungeon thing they did in the last game and make it not suck this time. The system is cool but the amount of time it takes on a mediocre game to develope it takes away from the enjoyment imo.

Speaking of pozz I started Baldurs Gate again and im wondering if I should skip Dragonspear.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm nearing late leveling and can count on one hand how many feats I have left for most characters. Is Wrath still all about putting shatter defenses on your melee and archer characters? All the guides for Kingmaker acted as if it was essential, but I see fewer builds doing it in Wrath.

I largely stopped picking Shatter Defenses on my characters. Partially because I find it unreliable on some of the tougher enemies (who come prebuffed with Greater Heroism, some are also Mind Immune), partially because TTT mod makes it work in accordance with the description (so only works AFTER the first hit), partially because I want some new feats from TTT (like Trick Riding & Mounted Skirmisher). I do sometimes use TTT Mythic Shatter Defenses feat on some characters (persistant Shatter effect on affected enemy).

Currently I'm finding Greater Invisibility (24hr late game) with Mind Blank a more reliable and cheaper solution to catch many enemies flat-footed.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I might come back if they revisit the endless dungeon thing they did in the last game and make it not suck this time. The system is cool but the amount of time it takes on a mediocre game to develope it takes away from the enjoyment imo.
As people have said, that DLC has been out for a while now (Treasure of the Midnight Isles). I enjoyed it more (and found it less cookie cutter repetitive) than the Kingmaker version (Beneath the Stolen Lands), but YMMV.

Speaking of pozz I started Baldurs Gate again and im wondering if I should skip Dragonspear.

Amber Scott was responsible for the primary pozzing in both Wrath's original P&P adventure path and in Dragonspear, but I vaguely remember the latter at least having some decent itemization and good fights, even if the overall story didn't make much sense or really add to the overall experience. I liked it better than either of the EE's that Beamdog made for the base games themselves.

Mauman

Scholar
Amber Scott was responsible for the primary pozzing in both Wrath's original P&P adventure path and in Dragonspear, but I vaguely remember the latter at least having some decent itemization and good fights, even if the overall story didn't make much sense or really add to the overall experience. I liked it better than either of the EE's that Beamdog made for the base games themselves.

I seem to recall there's a mod that removes the particularly egregious crap, like the gamergate reference and other little things.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The unannounced cap on caster levels after I planned my whole build to be broken by picking legend made me rage and i never beat it. I might come back if they revisit the endless dungeon thing they did in the last game and make it not suck this time. The system is cool but the amount of time it takes on a mediocre game to develope it takes away from the enjoyment imo.

If you never played Dragonspear I think one run is good. It has some decent fights and set pieces and while new companions are not up to level to standard BG1 companions they are at least as good as average Pathfinder games companions.
Also it has a really cool feature where you can put the game on Impossible difficulty that will add additional special enemies to encounters or give better spells to existing enemies but you can turn off extra HP and damage bonuses that enemies normally get with impossible difficulty. I played it like that and it was tough but fun.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's what Irabeth selling you the army was for*. As well as the Let them flee option for people memed into hating it without even trying it and/or casual/story players which is different.

If you buy the army and fight green battles you can in effect skip the whole thing.
That gets you through chapter 2, but not 3 which ramps up the number of things you have to understand.
It's just people mad that the game is full of queers, blacks, women, and a tranny.

I seem to recall there's a mod that removes the particularly egregious crap, like the gamergate reference and other little things.
Beamdog removed that themselves.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I seriously don't see all the "woke" stuff so many people bloat about in Wrath to justify such a chimp behaviour.

There's one tranny it

(In reality, the most annoying idpol stuff in the game is the "sex positivism" which leads to alot of poorly written, cringe-inducing dialogue. But there's very little of the content the critics believe is in the game in the actual game.)

Last edited:

Turn_BASED

Educated
Defending the boring ass
I seriously don't see all the "woke" stuff so many people bloat about in Wrath to justify such a chimp behaviour.

There's one tranny it

(In reality, the most annoying idpol stuff in the game is the "sex positivism" which leads to alot of poorly written, cringe-inducing dialogue. But there's very little of the content the critics believe is in the game in the actual game.)
Today it’s one tranny and some cringeworthy sex dialogue. Tomorrow it’s Pathfinder: Futa Fuck Squad

S.torch

Arbiter
Okay, I was asking myself if there was some hidden content in the game that I haven't seen for a reason but it seems to be a case of "someone who haven't played/read thing talks about it".

And if I'm not mistaken 90 percent of those things mentioned here already come with the tabletop adventure. I have the feeling that Wrath greatly improved the writing from the tabletop, and I like the theme of this game more than the one in Kingmaker.

Turn_BASED

Educated
Okay, I was asking myself if there was some hidden content in the game that I haven't seen for a reason but it seems to be a case of "someone who haven't played/read thing talks about it".

And if I'm not mistaken 90 percent of those things mentioned here already come with the tabletop adventure. I have the feeling that Wrath greatly improved the writing from the tabletop, and I like the theme of this game more than the one in Kingmaker.
If you'd like to see examples of said "improved writing" just take a look here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/wrath-of-the-cringefinder-compilation-thread.140072/

Desiderius

Patron
I'm nearing late leveling and can count on one hand how many feats I have left for most characters. Is Wrath still all about putting shatter defenses on your melee and archer characters? All the guides for Kingmaker acted as if it was essential, but I see fewer builds doing it in Wrath.

I largely stopped picking Shatter Defenses on my characters. Partially because I find it unreliable on some of the tougher enemies (who come prebuffed with Greater Heroism, some are also Mind Immune), partially because TTT mod makes it work in accordance with the description (so only works AFTER the first hit), partially because I want some new feats from TTT (like Trick Riding & Mounted Skirmisher). I do sometimes use TTT Mythic Shatter Defenses feat on some characters (persistant Shatter effect on affected enemy).

Currently I'm finding Greater Invisibility (24hr late game) with Mind Blank a more reliable and cheaper solution to catch many enemies flat-footed.

I think TTT just nerfed your 24hr shenanigans (to your own benefit).

Stack initiative and everything that can be is flat-footed already.

As for Carlo's question If you play tinman (minimal reloads) there are plenty of feats to look at on the resiliency/skills side of the equation. With TTT/Dark Codex there are also alternatives angles of attack.

Delterius

Arcane

There's one tranny it

i thought gamergate estabilished sex positivity as an anti woke trait why does the meta keep changing from under me its not fair

Turn_BASED

Educated

There's one tranny it

i thought gamergate estabilished sex positivity as an anti woke trait why does the meta keep changing from under me its not fair
I want hot women dressed like whores that I can't bang, is that too much to ask?

Desiderius

Patron

It isn't. Big Irabeth hug is very in the face of the player. It's like Greybor busting out a Marlboro™ and taking a nice long drag when you first meet him.

Sosiel writing is such a caricature it's even offensive to blax and gays. Zeal of the convert (to Californication).

It can of course be ignored by combatfags like we often ignore even good writing but it is not made up. Evidently came from Paizo and Owlcat may not have been able to leave it out even if they wanted to.

That's why it lost. The Poz is the dead consensus.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom