Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Even without a romance, he was always going to be this way. They wanted a token bland.
a few pages ago sosiel looked at a gnome and fell in love with them, calling them the epitome of beauty, making portraits of them, and having the visage of a goddamn gnome be the one thing that keeps them going in the darkness of the abyss and you think thats bland

they can't all be daeran, the first npc to romance the player and not the other way around, but come on. sosiel is clearly insane

In all seriousness I thought Sosiel offered a good contrast with the rest of the party. As far as romance goes he's the one monogamous guy in a setting of sex-haver demigod fantasies. Beyond that he's just a lad with anger issues who cares about family. He's a way better 'Eder' than Lann turned out to be.

Unlike Eder Lann's quest at least has a resolution, or two eventually. Nice riff on dude with cosmopolitan roots trying to find his place in insular small townish setting. Can go either way depending on who you choose to side with early.

Monogamous gheys is fake news.

Delterius

Arcane
but it doesn't really get developed because it gets crowded out by the pole smoking.
Eh no after his first quest Sosiel's arc revolves around finding his brother. His anger issues take a backseat to a family driven sub-arc. It would be a bit silly if the game asked the question 'does Shelyn approve of me being angry that my brother was enslaved and brutalized by demons for years'.

I think if I were to re-write Sosiel's arc I'd introduce Trevor earlier - him being rescued from demons after or maybe during Drezen - and make Sosiel about him caring for a wrecked, traumatized Trevor. It would be a parallel to Shelyn and Zon-Kuthon. So the anger issues and the gambling issues would be about Sosiel getting his shit together to look after his older brother. He either gives up his vices or deals with them in a more healthy way.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
but it doesn't really get developed because it gets crowded out by the pole smoking.
Eh no after his first quest Sosiel's arc revolves around finding his brother. His anger issues take a backseat to a family driven sub-arc. It would be a bit silly if the game asked the question 'does Shelyn approve of me being angry that my brother was enslaved and brutalized by demons for years'.

I think if I were to re-write Sosiel's arc I'd introduce Trevor earlier - him being rescued from demons after or maybe during Drezen - and make Sosiel about him caring for a wrecked, traumatized Trevor. It would be a parallel to Shelyn and Zon-Kuthon. So the anger issues and the gambling issues would be about Sosiel getting his shit together to look after his older brother. He either gives up his vices or deals with them in a more healthy way.
Uh, his brother chose his own path, one imagines in part to distinguish himself from his brother’s.

And anger is an emotion. What one does with one’s emotions is the question, a question to which one might think Shelyn could offer some unique answers.

Which after all is the purpose of artistic endeavor in the first place.

skaraher

Cipher
What could have been an interesting companion quest with a lot of meaningful C&C got crowded out by the obligatory "I want buttsecks" and "unsuspecting straight guy gets inducted into the cult" options.

Arseniy Krymov said:
Sosiel is the odd one out among the companions: he's the only person in the party with no tragic backstory or dark secrets. His closet is surprisingly devoid of skeletons. He's just a nice, honest guy next door, eager to support you, and open about his own vulnerability. Writing his romance felt like a healing vacation after the horrors of the Swarm mythic path.

Even without a romance, he was always going to be this way. They wanted a token bland.

Which is exactly the problem, though it isn't even true.

He's supposed to have an angry Cleric of Shelyn conflict (which would be an interesting riff on Val's character arc - which was also truncated for SocJus irreasons) but it doesn't really get developed because it gets crowded out by the pole smoking.
Krymov is a huge retard. He's the guy who wrote Arue and Ember and did his college thesis on anime. Fortunately he was assigned to the Wrath DLC team so it means he didn't get to work on Rogue Trader. Easily the worst writer of Wroth.

He did Regongar and Octavia too.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Krymov is a huge retard. He's the guy who wrote Arue and Ember and did his college thesis on anime.
Yeah, he's a creepy looking cringe peddler who's also a brony and wanted to put that trans dwarf into Kingmaker.

I like Ember and Arue though. :M

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Ember was OK. Aru I found to be a letdown of epic proportions. You describe her to someone in a single sentence and they could probably predict her entire arc in another two.

Delterius

Arcane
Ember was OK. Aru I found to be a letdown of epic proportions. You describe her to someone in a single sentence and they could probably predict her entire arc in another two.
Arue feels like Azata content that got turned into a companion. Although I was a bit amused with forcing her around Alushnyrra and all the demons quipping about how she used to be the most interesting woman in the world.

To think that if they had had some sense and cut Gold Dragon we might have had a Nurah Trickster companion.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
She's a popular character from the adventure path. Yes, it's predictable, the people who like this kind of content don't care.

A demonstration of my point: https://twitter.com/darkergrey_art/status/1480524831229505537
FIuBUJGWYAUcWyI

FIuBUJJXIAAro6F

FIuBUJHXIAgBDf8

Last edited:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
The most obnoxious shit was the cleric companion who's attempts at romance were rapey asf.
I played a guy and he never hit on me. Just don't say anything he could misinterpret because that's just how gay men are.

At release there was no way to bypass Sosiel "romance", it would always start even without saying anything, and there was a "bug" if you refused him when he came with the orchestra for the serenade you would be locked in a no-exit area.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Krymov is a huge retard. He's the guy who wrote Arue and Ember and did his college thesis on anime. Fortunately he was assigned to the Wrath DLC team so it means he didn't get to work on Rogue Trader. Easily the worst writer of Wroth.

He did Regongar and Octavia too.
I have already supported Owlcat developers on Kickstarter. There is no need to advertise them more.

skaraher

Cipher
Arue feels like Azata content that got turned into a companion. Although I was a bit amused with forcing her around Alushnyrra and all the demons quipping about how she used to be the most interesting woman in the world.

To think that if they had had some sense and cut Gold Dragon we might have had a Nurah Trickster companion.
Well she herself said she paid with her body the slavemaster flying meatball. :smug:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Perhaps the devs realized how utterly awful, unfun, and tedious swarms are in this game and are trying to atone. I initially gave up on Xanthir, went and did some of the new DLC, and then came back with Ulbrig, and his necklace that makes natural attacks do normal damage to swarms completely trivialized the encounter. I was lobbing selective fireballs and had a sirrocco going, but Ulbrig pretty much killed them all singlehandedly.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wasn’t replying to “the people”, Roguey. I was replying to you saying you liked her.
I simply find her amusing. This is Bioware Cyprus doing an adaptation of official Paizo writing, not an attempt at serious storytelling. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Incendax

Augur
Arue AND Ember? That's actually somewhat surprising considering how much Ember shits on Arue's story.

skaraher

Cipher
I wasn’t replying to “the people”, Roguey. I was replying to you saying you liked her.
I simply find her amusing. This is Bioware Cyprus doing an adaptation of official Paizo writing, not an attempt at serious storytelling. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Very true, that's why I sink so much hours in those game. The writing is trash on several characters and passable on some others but we never asked it to be good. It's a DND game. We want sword and sorcery, dungeon crawling, larger than life adventure and build circlejerking.

Kingmaker's worst part were better than WOTR but its best part were blander.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm nearing late leveling and can count on one hand how many feats I have left for most characters. Is Wrath still all about putting shatter defenses on your melee and archer characters? All the guides for Kingmaker acted as if it was essential, but I see fewer builds doing it in Wrath.

I largely stopped picking Shatter Defenses on my characters. Partially because I find it unreliable on some of the tougher enemies (who come prebuffed with Greater Heroism, some are also Mind Immune), partially because TTT mod makes it work in accordance with the description (so only works AFTER the first hit), partially because I want some new feats from TTT (like Trick Riding & Mounted Skirmisher). I do sometimes use TTT Mythic Shatter Defenses feat on some characters (persistant Shatter effect on affected enemy).

Currently I'm finding Greater Invisibility (24hr late game) with Mind Blank a more reliable and cheaper solution to catch many enemies flat-footed.

I think TTT just nerfed your 24hr shenanigans (to your own benefit).
What do you mean?

Enduring, Greater now requires 8 minutes instead of 5.

By the time it can be activated it's largely unnecessary and it's costing you two Mythics. TTT/Dark Codex has some nice ones, but Favorite Meta is always good.
I see. Well, the changes to Enduring and Abundant spells were the first I have disabled. Now I have also disabled the changes to Cleave / Cleaving Finish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom