Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Delterius

Arcane
But I pointed out the fact that Aroden's death impact seem largely irelevant to the overall narrative of the CRPG.
The dynamic is that the worldwound wouldn't have been possible if Aroden hadn't died. I think Nurah exposes on this if you ask for a history lesson but I'm not sure.

The thing about Aroden is that his death is the Big Event. Magically or politically, Aroden's death has thrown most of the world into chaos. The human empires that he patronized failed, Sarkoris shifted towards the Abyss, and a bunch of other stuff. Even if it's unspoken it's not possible to be set in this world and have Aroden's death be largely irrelevant.
Dialogue from the insane dwarf shaman (or was it notes) shows scorn for the Sarkorian who chose to live in stone walls so there is hints of a cultural rift, but it's never expended upon, and completly brushed aside by the dialogues of characters talking of Sarkoris as a tribal confederation.
Sarkoris is like fantasy Afghanistan. A wise man once called it a country of Kabul + large amounts of 'mountain libertarianism'. I can see Iz having a de facto prominence with Inquisitors and such like, a bunch of tribes like Wintersun with their informal agreements forming the base of society, and then a common culture with druidism and the worship of Erastil / Pulura / others at the center. And of course, lots of cultural rifts here and there.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I know that is suboptimal but would a demon dark elementalist be viable in core difficulty? I don't wanna min max everything, I know that dark elementalist is the worst subclass for kineticist and that demon is probably teh weakest mythic path. But I like the idea of becoming a demon lord and like the class idea behind dark elementalist.

Delterius

Arcane
I know that is suboptimal but would a demon dark elementalist be viable in core difficulty? I don't wanna min max everything, I know that dark elementalist is the worst subclass for kineticist and that demon is probably teh weakest mythic path.
Well you're wrong that account. Demon isn't the weakest path. You're actually slightly min-maxxing. If I'm not mistaken Demon's bonuses to damage dice really benefits kineticist. At least I've seen people wreck the game with them somehow.

The problem with Dark Elementalist isn't so much that it's weak it's that it's kinda pointless. Elemental Engine and Base Kineticist offer you two different playstyles. And of course, going maximum glass cannon with Engine is the real min-max. Meanwhile stuff like Dark Elementalist and Psychokineticist offer perks in exchange for key class features. Personally? If you really choose to go DE you're gonna need touch attacks so go for that fire element and soldier through chapter 1. But keep in mind Demon is a late bloomer of sorts and you might end up wishing you were Engine instead.

Last edited:

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Dark Elementalist and Psychokineticist are better for the Lich path, where at some point the CON stat becomes pointless and for all kinetic purposes is counted as it is 10. I tested it on Jaethal; Urgathoa bless her.

Other than that, as was stated above, Dark Elementalist is just more limited compared to other archetypes.

skaraher

Cipher
I know that is suboptimal but would a demon dark elementalist be viable in core difficulty? I don't wanna min max everything, I know that dark elementalist is the worst subclass for kineticist and that demon is probably teh weakest mythic path. But I like the idea of becoming a demon lord and like the class idea behind dark elementalist.
Demon kineticist is absurdly strong, and until last updates (need to verify) benefited from broken mechanics. Actually I don't know if they managed to fix it. Look up the synergy between trip and aspect of kalavaku with earth kineticist.

All the kineticist subclasses are weaker than the main class but Demon Kineticist remain one of the strongest combination to play as a straight class without multiclassing. If you play on core, what you're suggesting is absolutely viable.

Also you can go other elements than Earth if you don't want to go all out with the cheese, Ascendant Element mythic ability makes them more than viable.

Dark Elementalist and Psychokineticist are better for the Lich path, where at some point the CON stat becomes pointless and for all kinetic purposes is counted as it is 10. I tested it on Jaethal; Urgathoa bless her.

Other than that, as was stated above, Dark Elementalist is just more limited compared to other archetypes.
Wouldn't Overwhelming Soul be the best choice? Haven't played it and I'm not sure exactly how the mechanics for it work though.

Skorpion

Educated
Wait, a patch that isnt multiple gigs?! Seems fishy!!
In other news Ulbrig is a beast (heh) so far on core difficulty but Im not terribly far into my playthough yet, still Im loving his claw filled antics.
Doing an Azata path this time as I havent done one before and settled on MC being pure bard who will share all the teamfeats freeing up my team for more interesting builds/combos.
He's an awesome damage dealer on Unfair, but kind of squishy. I gave him last stand and might try giving him that self-casting mythic mage armor buff. His range tends to make up for his squishiness if you have a better tank in front of him, though.
Yeah my main tank for this run is seelah on a horse. I gave him Mythic Shifter first but Last stand is my goto next for him, he is a bit squishy but with Seelah/horse taking most the heat hes doing alright.
The death from above charge is really useful for mercing backline mages and sharpshooters! Also he doesn't seem annoying so far but Im not too far yet so we will see how his story arc unfolds.
How would the self-casting mythic mage armor work, him using scrolls for it?

Edit. I think I found a bug in Table Top Tweaks Mod. The Shadow Enchantment spells do not receive spell DC improvements from Spell Mastery nor Varsian Tattoo. Meh. It's kind of a cheese spell anyway. Though I think that attitude is sour grapes.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Fabulously optimistic and stupid, as usual, but also not the point. The point is that they should start pretending that they're doing them on purpose to make themselves look a bit better and more competent.
They are good and competent enough. No one west of the Oder will make you a game where a decision made in the very first cutscene affects one of the possible endings. Not until ChatGPT-5 starts making games by itself.
France is west of the Oder.

Motherfucker is doing it all by himself. Test your goddamned games already. If you can’t stand to play them how do you expect anyone else to?

Desiderius

Patron
Edit. I think I found a bug in Table Top Tweaks Mod. The Shadow Enchantment spells do not receive spell DC improvements from Spell Mastery nor Varsian Tattoo. Meh. It's kind of a cheese spell anyway. Though I think that attitude is sour grapes.
They did in my game. Shadow spells are Illusion. It’s kind of the point.

There is no cheese.

Skorpion

Educated

There is no cheese.
You are such a pedantic cunt. Find a life outside of this thread.

There is no cheese.
I didn't think it was part of the SRD. I looked it up, and it is. Hrm. I thought it was cheese because the point of Shadow Evocation/Conjuration is that they use illusions to create quasi-real substance, something tangible. Enchantment doesn't do that. Introducing shadow stuff to replicate a mental affect isn't consistent with that concept. Why not have Shadow Transmutation, or Shadow Divination at that point? I have complaints with the schools anyway. Enchantment vs Illusions are typically distinctions without difference.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

There is no cheese.
I didn't think it was part of the SRD. I looked it up, and it is. Hrm. I thought it was cheese because the point of Shadow Evocation/Conjuration is that they use illusions to create quasi-real substance, something tangible. Enchantment doesn't do that. Introducing shadow stuff to replicate a mental affect isn't consistent with that concept. Why not have Shadow Transmutation, or Shadow Divination at that point? I have complaints with the schools anyway. Enchantment vs Illusions are typically distinctions without difference.

It's always been this way. Here, from 1st Edition AD&D.

1679624475573.png

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
They are good and competent enough. No one west of the Oder will make you a game where a decision made in the very first cutscene affects one of the possible endings. Not until ChatGPT-5 starts making games by itself.

Motherfucker is doing it all by himself. Test your goddamned games already. If you can’t stand to play them how do you expect anyone else to?
What games did the French make? The last I remember is the Ishar series. Ubisoft started strong, but was #MeToo'ed to oblivion, and their games were never RPG anyway.

So what make you think that France is not the hated West?

Desiderius

Patron

What games did the French make? The last I remember is the Ishar series. Ubisoft started strong, but was #MeToo'ed to oblivion, and their games were never RPG anyway.

So what make you think that France is not the hated West?
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/knights-of-the-chalice-2-thread-augury-of-chaos.86951/unread

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron

Wouldn't Overwhelming Soul be the best choice? Haven't played it and I'm not sure exactly how the mechanics for it work though.
While it is true that Overwhelming Soul uses CHA instead of CON for blasts, he does not have Burn. Which means this subtype cannot burst for big damage when necessary. I think his analogue of Elemental Overflow is weaker, too, but it requires testing. Also, the Mythic that gives additional Burn removal to every Gather Power, which is quite helpful for other Kineticists, seems to be useless for Overwhelming Soul.

skaraher

Cipher

There is no cheese.
If you are repulsed by autistic circlejerking pedantic buildmonger, you've walked into the wrong neighborhood, kid. :smug:

Desiderius

Patron

There is no cheese.
No.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom