Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

ArchAngel

Arcane
Dark Elementalist and Psychokineticist are better for the Lich path, where at some point the CON stat becomes pointless and for all kinetic purposes is counted as it is 10. I tested it on Jaethal; Urgathoa bless her.

Other than that, as was stated above, Dark Elementalist is just more limited compared to other archetypes.
Last Kineticist I played 2 months ago was Dark Elementalist and I do know if it was a bug but I was able to stack overcharge bonuses with Dark Elementalist Soul eating bonuses for double bonuses to hit and damage. Pretty sweet.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Dark Elementalist and Psychokineticist are better for the Lich path, where at some point the CON stat becomes pointless and for all kinetic purposes is counted as it is 10. I tested it on Jaethal; Urgathoa bless her.

Other than that, as was stated above, Dark Elementalist is just more limited compared to other archetypes.
Last Kineticist I played 2 months ago was Dark Elementalist and I do know if it was a bug but I was able to stack overcharge bonuses with Dark Elementalist Soul eating bonuses for double bonuses to hit and damage. Pretty sweet.
The d20PFSRD says this:
A dark elementalist gains attack and damage bonuses from elemental overflow based on how many times that day she has used soul power to rack a soul, rather than based on her current burn total. For instance, a 9th-level dark elementalist who used soul power to rack three or more souls during the course of the day would add a +3 bonus on attack rolls and a +6 bonus on damage rolls.
(from here).

So it should be additive, but it stacks. If you had multiplicative bonuses then it could be a bug.

HammyTheFat

Scholar
Sarkorians basically bringing the demonic axe-wound onto themselves by killing an innocent kid
Said kid was literally shot by magic-police for resisting arrest and killed just after he murdered a magic-cop. Killing millions and setting ablaze a whole country in paiment for one retarded death is the definition of Dindu-nothing, congratulation you achieved peak BLMism in your game. Oh and he literally tried to summon a Balor. :smug:

Areelu apologism is retarded, they tried to play the sob part with pathos and MOTHERLY sentiment but at the end of the day, she's an unrepentant mad scientist who committed a genocide for trivial reasons.
This analogy falls flat because the idiots in question were attempting to bully arcane spellcasters because.... reasons? Something about arcane magic being bad in a country run by OTHER spellcasters (did shamans or druids run sarkoris?) who just use a different form of magic that could just as easily be abused. Also if I remember right, I don't think Areelu was actively trying to destroy Sarkoris was she? That it killed the people responsible was just a bonus to her experiment to try and bring her kid back.

They absolutely had it coming because bullying the nerd on the playground when that same nerd can kill you with the wave of his hand makes you a legitimate 'tard. Darwinism at its finest. Honestly some of the background lore makes it hard to take the whole overarching plot line seriously.

Why didn't Areelu move to another country?
No it's established Areelu and her son were already demon worshiper by that point, and her son was literally killed while trying to summon a greater demon, no "nerd bullying here." Play the actual game and don't speedread the story part, the story is already barebone enough. :lol:

Also his soul was directly judged by Pharasma and sent straight to the Abyss, so he was at least CHAOTIC EVIL and probably into DEVOURing soul. You're projecting some weird personal issues on the game. Were you bullied by weirdos shamans and protestant pastors in you Kwanzanian hometown for your belief in the occult ? :smug:

Basically what you're saying is "Sarkorians deserved to get their country raped by demons because they tried to stop those two peoples from bringing demons to rape their country." I won't make you a drawing of which political side uses this exact reasoning in our modern world. :smug:

So yeah, if you take all the pieces of info the game gave you, it's hard to sympathize with Areelu. Also, she straight up tells you that even if her son had been saved/resurrected, she still would have gone through the Worldwound creation for SCIENCE and POWER. Again, don't speedread. Pay attention to the dialogue, there isn't even much of it on the main story path. This ain't Torment or New Vegas.
Two answers possible :
- Mage arrogance. She had her whole laboratory going and thought she could get away with it indefinetely until it was too late. At Threshold she was already deadset on opening the worldwound.
- Bad writing. In the original path, Areelu always was a devoted Deskari worshiper.

I remember the summoning part but when the inquisitors confronted him was that an actual balor summon or something else? The one in the BACK of the house is the balor summon. The kid is never really shown as evil, just overly curious. However you do have a point about his/her soul ending up in the abyss. As far as I know you can't get sent there unless you're more than a bit of a cunt yourself, or make a deal with a demon. So you probably WERE more than a little evil. But hey, Areelu's kid.

I didn't speedread through any of it... on my first playthrough. Which was admittedly near the release date of the game itself so I'm probably forgetting a lot. I don't remember anything in the game that points to Areelu being a demon worshiper before the child murder.

And yes I still stand by what I said about sarkoris.

'ate druids
'ate shamans
love arcane spellcasting

Simple as.

ArchAngel

Arcane

The d20PFSRD says this:
A dark elementalist gains attack and damage bonuses from elemental overflow based on how many times that day she has used soul power to rack a soul, rather than based on her current burn total. For instance, a 9th-level dark elementalist who used soul power to rack three or more souls during the course of the day would add a +3 bonus on attack rolls and a +6 bonus on damage rolls.
(from here).

So it should be additive, but it stacks. If you had multiplicative bonuses then it could be a bug.
No it does not stack. It says you only get bonuses from collecting souls but I would collect 3 souls for bonuses and then do 3 overcharge for 3 more bonuses and it stacked for +6 attack and +12 damage.
I reported this as a bug along with my Dark Elementalist that kept losing 3 overburn it had letting me overburn more and often for bonus damage :D

Edit. I think I found a bug in Table Top Tweaks Mod. The Shadow Enchantment spells do not receive spell DC improvements from Spell Mastery nor Varsian Tattoo. Meh. It's kind of a cheese spell anyway. Though I think that attitude is sour grapes.
They did in my game. Shadow spells are Illusion. It’s kind of the point.

There is no cheese.
I didn't think it was part of the SRD. I looked it up, and it is. Hrm. I thought it was cheese because the point of Shadow Evocation/Conjuration is that they use illusions to create quasi-real substance, something tangible. Enchantment doesn't do that. Introducing shadow stuff to replicate a mental affect isn't consistent with that concept. Why not have Shadow Transmutation, or Shadow Divination at that point? I have complaints with the schools anyway. Enchantment vs Illusions are typically distinctions without difference.

It's always been this way. Here, from 1st Edition AD&D.

View attachment 34594
That's 1st edition Shadow Evocation. I don't have a problem with Shadow Evocation/Conjuration. The idea is that you make an illusion (a sensory deception) quasi-real. The target sees a fire ball, feels the heat, smells the burning and believes it. It's something perceptible. This confluence makes it quasi real. How does one provide an illusion of a compulsion? It breaks the concept. What is being made quasi-real? If Shadow Enchantment is fair game, then why not other schools that illicit imperceptible effects? It's a bridge too far and starts to enter Wish spell territory.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Sarkorians basically bringing the demonic axe-wound onto themselves by killing an innocent kid
Said kid was literally shot by magic-police for resisting arrest and killed just after he murdered a magic-cop. Killing millions and setting ablaze a whole country in paiment for one retarded death is the definition of Dindu-nothing, congratulation you achieved peak BLMism in your game. Oh and he literally tried to summon a Balor. :smug:

Areelu apologism is retarded, they tried to play the sob part with pathos and MOTHERLY sentiment but at the end of the day, she's an unrepentant mad scientist who committed a genocide for trivial reasons.
This analogy falls flat because the idiots in question were attempting to bully arcane spellcasters because.... reasons? Something about arcane magic being bad in a country run by OTHER spellcasters (did shamans or druids run sarkoris?) who just use a different form of magic that could just as easily be abused. Also if I remember right, I don't think Areelu was actively trying to destroy Sarkoris was she? That it killed the people responsible was just a bonus to her experiment to try and bring her kid back.

They absolutely had it coming because bullying the nerd on the playground when that same nerd can kill you with the wave of his hand makes you a legitimate 'tard. Darwinism at its finest. Honestly some of the background lore makes it hard to take the whole overarching plot line seriously.

No it's established Areelu and her son were already demon worshiper by that point, and her son was literally killed while trying to summon a greater demon, no "nerd bullying here." Play the actual game and don't speedread the story part, the story is already barebone enough. :lol:

Also his soul was directly judged by Pharasma and sent straight to the Abyss, so he was at least CHAOTIC EVIL and probably into DEVOURing soul. You're projecting some weird personal issues on the game. Were you bullied by weirdos shamans and protestant pastors in you Kwanzanian hometown for your belief in the occult ? :smug:

Basically what you're saying is "Sarkorians deserved to get their country raped by demons because they tried to stop those two peoples from bringing demons to rape their country." I won't make you a drawing of which political side uses this exact reasoning in our modern world. :smug:

So yeah, if you take all the pieces of info the game gave you, it's hard to sympathize with Areelu. Also, she straight up tells you that even if her son had been saved/resurrected, she still would have gone through the Worldwound creation for SCIENCE and POWER. Again, don't speedread. Pay attention to the dialogue, there isn't even much of it on the main story path. This ain't Torment or New Vegas.
Two answers possible :
- Mage arrogance. She had her whole laboratory going and thought she could get away with it indefinetely until it was too late. At Threshold she was already deadset on opening the worldwound.
- Bad writing. In the original path, Areelu always was a devoted Deskari worshiper.

I remember the summoning part but when the inquisitors confronted him was that an actual balor summon or something else? The one in the BACK of the house is the balor summon. The kid is never really shown as evil, just overly curious. However you do have a point about his/her soul ending up in the abyss. As far as I know you can't get sent there unless you're more than a bit of a cunt yourself, or make a deal with a demon. So you probably WERE more than a little evil. But hey, Areelu's kid.

I didn't speedread through any of it... on my first playthrough. Which was admittedly near the release date of the game itself so I'm probably forgetting a lot. I don't remember anything in the game that points to Areelu being a demon worshiper before the child murder.

'ate druids
'ate shamans
love arcane spellcasting

Simple as.
Single momz

How does one provide an illusion of a compulsion?
Gaslighting

skaraher

Cipher

Two answers possible :

'ate druids
'ate shamans
love arcane spellcasting

Simple as.
Single momz
My gudboi dindu nuffin + Career wymin be dangerous

While it is true that Overwhelming Soul uses CHA instead of CON for blasts, he does not have Burn. Which means this subtype cannot burst for big damage when necessary. I think his analogue of Elemental Overflow is weaker, too, but it requires testing. Also, the Mythic that gives additional Burn removal to every Gather Power, which is quite helpful for other Kineticists, seems to be useless for Overwhelming Soul.

He gets passive to hit and damage increases, and once you get to Deadly Earth nothing really matters anyway, you ignore to hit and the damage increase would be minimal (I think?). Overwhelming Soul *should* be able to use that Mythic ability since he can still use anything that takes burn as long as he can reduce that burn to zero. Which is ultimately what you're doing 95% of the time as a kineticist anyway. So you'll be slightly weaker in blasting, but once you get CHA replacing CON from lich you'll have massively more HP than any other kineticist.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
While it is true that Overwhelming Soul uses CHA instead of CON for blasts, he does not have Burn. Which means this subtype cannot burst for big damage when necessary. I think his analogue of Elemental Overflow is weaker, too, but it requires testing. Also, the Mythic that gives additional Burn removal to every Gather Power, which is quite helpful for other Kineticists, seems to be useless for Overwhelming Soul.

He gets passive to hit and damage increases, and once you get to Deadly Earth nothing really matters anyway, you ignore to hit and the damage increase would be minimal (I think?). Overwhelming Soul *should* be able to use that Mythic ability since he can still use anything that takes burn as long as he can reduce that burn to zero. Which is ultimately what you're doing 95% of the time as a kineticist anyway. So you'll be slightly weaker in blasting, but once you get CHA replacing CON from lich you'll have massively more HP than any other kineticist.
I still don't like the limitation on the potential burst - first; and second, the burn effect on stats is not available for Overwhelming Soul. I think those are weaknesses.

Last edited:
Table Top Tweaks makes some wonderful things possible. I'm finding cross-blooded sorcerer dip too tempting. My arcane trickster using Intensified Spell + Elemental Spell + Persistent (or empower) Spell + Elemental Barrage + Mythic Sneak Attacker + Gold & Brass bloodline absolutely piles damage on. It's very difficult to pass up the Undead bloodline though. Being able to applying mind-affecting spells against undead is just...marvelous. Phantasmal Killer destroying undead is wonderfully satisfying. For some reason, when Phantasmal Killer fails to kill and instead applies damage, sneak attack damage is being applied. It's alot of damage and a pleasant consolation. It's also eligible for Elemental Spell metamagic, which opens the door to some shenanigans.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Speaking of Areelu Vorlesh and her crimes: read the description of the Ring of Summoning, a relic restored by the Storyteller. Sir Opon did not resist arrest because he was concerned about the innocent people of Iz. So, the inquisitor's wolf bites his fingers off together with the ring. And then, centuries later, the party finds a melted shard of his ring during the first Seelah personal quest.

Obviously, compliance helped him a lot.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Speaking of Areelu Vorlesh and her crimes: read the description of the Ring of Summoning, a relic restored by the Storyteller. Sir Opon did not resist arrest because he was concerned about the innocent people of Iz. So, the inquisitor's wolf bites his fingers off together with the ring. And then, centuries later, the party finds a melted shard of his ring during the first Seelah personal quest.

Obviously, compliance helped him a lot.
All authorities in Californicated games are White Mantle X.0.

And so it goes in decadent ages.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Any way to hire an merc at the beginning of WotR? I mean, there are only one decent melee companion so far in ch1. I in kingmaker create an druid with animal companion as fast as I can and having only Seelah is being a quite problem. Mainly because an merchant which sold some high level scrolls no longer sells it at the tavern. Doing the defense of the tavern with only one melee guy and no summon from scrolls was insanely hard and I've failed.

Druids are incredible powerful mainly at early game, they have lots of unique buffs and are IMO better than clerics.

You get access to it as soon as getting in tavern. Before that, no.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Any way to hire an merc at the beginning of WotR? I mean, there are only one decent melee companion so far in ch1. I in kingmaker create an druid with animal companion as fast as I can and having only Seelah is being a quite problem. Mainly because an merchant which sold some high level scrolls no longer sells it at the tavern. Doing the defense of the tavern with only one melee guy and no summon from scrolls was insanely hard and I've failed.

Druids are incredible powerful mainly at early game, they have lots of unique buffs and are IMO better than clerics.

I talked with everyone in the tavern. No option to do that. And as I've said, if I did the defense, I already reached the tavern.

PS : Pls delete your post in the wrong thread as I've did.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Edit. I think I found a bug in Table Top Tweaks Mod. The Shadow Enchantment spells do not receive spell DC improvements from Spell Mastery nor Varsian Tattoo. Meh. It's kind of a cheese spell anyway. Though I think that attitude is sour grapes.
They did in my game. Shadow spells are Illusion. It’s kind of the point.

There is no cheese.
I didn't think it was part of the SRD. I looked it up, and it is. Hrm. I thought it was cheese because the point of Shadow Evocation/Conjuration is that they use illusions to create quasi-real substance, something tangible. Enchantment doesn't do that. Introducing shadow stuff to replicate a mental affect isn't consistent with that concept. Why not have Shadow Transmutation, or Shadow Divination at that point? I have complaints with the schools anyway. Enchantment vs Illusions are typically distinctions without difference.

It's always been this way. Here, from 1st Edition AD&D.

View attachment 34594
That's 1st edition Shadow Evocation. I don't have a problem with Shadow Evocation/Conjuration. The idea is that you make an illusion (a sensory deception) quasi-real. The target sees a fire ball, feels the heat, smells the burning and believes it. It's something perceptible. This confluence makes it quasi real. How does one provide an illusion of a compulsion? It breaks the concept. What is being made quasi-real? If Shadow Enchantment is fair game, then why not other schools that illicit imperceptible effects? It's a bridge too far and starts to enter Wish spell territory.

Ah, yeah we're on the same page. I actually didn't realize Shadow Enchantment was a thing in Pathfinder and thought you were talking about those shadow magic evocations and such.

I'm not sure what they were thinking either. I'd be curious to see Paizo's rationale for it.

Desiderius

Patron

I talked with everyone in the tavern. No option to do that. And as I've said, if I did the defense, I already reached the tavern.

PS : Pls delete your post in the wrong thread as I've did.
If you only have one decent melee companion the problem is your play not the companions. Cam has full Barkskin which is the only decent Druid-exclusive buff that makes a difference, and if you get her Dex-to-dam by lvl five she should hold her own while Wolj is a cuisinart.

Lann makes a good Druid if you must have one and the Bow he gets from the one ZA lvl keeps him out of harm’s way which can be the downside of Druid usually (no ranged prof).

Got back to the campaign. The Lost Chapel boss fight was a total disaster. Bad rolls, crits, you name it. Seelah, Lann, and Daeran were dead. Regill was down but not dead. In the end it was down to a near dead Ember, and MC (Arcane Trickster). Ember successfully Slumbered Nulkineth just before the last ghoul killed her. Then, my MC--with only a few HP left did a Coup de'Grace on Nulkineth and absolutely obliterated him. What a show!

Last edited:

Humanophage

Arcane
I'm currently approaching Drezen, just did Lost Chapel.

My party at the moment:
1. Hmoyko the Molfar - a Hex Channeler witch with a Shadow patron. Focuses on casting Slumber and channeling. Has Shadowplay, so presumably his future shadow spells will be powerful. Should have put in more Dex, but no one really attacks him anyway. Has both positive channel and negative channel (Mythic).
2. Camellia - default shaman. Her primary task is putting an evil eye hex so that Hmoyko can reliably Slumber everyone. The other big task is to spam skeleton summon. I hear some people use her as a tank, but for me she's just a non-squishy caster.
3. Seelah - pure Negro Paladin with a horse, wielding a polearm. Great for doing coup de grace on slumbering characters because of her huge reach. Smite evil is also extremely useful against tanky characters.
--- Ottmar - her trusty steed. Tanks really well. I don't understand why no one targets Seelah and instead keeps beating the horse.
4. Lann - default monk archer. Deals a good amount of damage with buffs, but a bit uninventive. Gets enlarged by Camellia.
5. Nenio - default wizard. Not very impressive for now, given the low level. Haste is too important though.

The last member is flexible. At first, I had a vivisectionist Woljif, but he is a bit squishy. Now the main alternative is Daeran, who also has a pet bully wolf via Mythic that is surprisingly good at tripping (e.g., tripping the lich, tripping the ghouls). Stacking two channelers also gives good AoE versus large hordes of undead. He can also help Camellia spam skeletons. But now I am considering replacing Daeran with Ember because you can stack Witch Evil Eye with Shaman Evil Eye, giving -8 to saving throws. This would pretty much guarantee successful slumber as well as subsequent coup de grace (since fortitude is also weakened). It could be further amplified with misfortune.

41ruOko.png

The balancing is very odd. E.g., there's that item that summons 4 nabasus/angels which steamroll any enemy, including that Level 20 stringy otherling and the tough hidden nabasu in Lost Chapel. Theoretically, it is supposed to be a bit random, but really the chance of getting more than 50% of hostiles is tiny. And you can just run away then.

In terms of difficulty, I kept Hard without changing it. It was somewhat tough at first, but it gets much easier when you get the first mythic level.
I am around level 13 at the moment, and thought I'd write an update.

Current party:
1. Hmoyko the Molfar - full hex channeling shaman, Aeon. Stacks illusion/mind/compulsion to increase DC for Sleep and Phantasmal Putrefaction, and casts the occasional Phantasmal Killer. Channeling can be used to trigger a compulsion bonus, bumping Hex slumber to DC 30, which is especially nice with an evil eye debuff from Camellia (and a potential additional -4 from a witch). Hex continues to be very useful due to not being affected by spell resistance and having no HD limit, so it easily puts to sleep massive opponents like advanced demons or the purple worm. Moreover, since basic and advanced slumber are treated as separate hexes, you can have more than one attempt.
2. Camellia - as before, spams skeletons and casts evil eye non-stop while chanting. Has very high initiative, thus being more reliable for skeletons than Daeran.
3. Daeran - focused on summoning, which in retrospect probably was not the best idea because he can't cast full round spells when they are most needed. I think I may give him a witch level for evil eye since there is no space for Ember.
-- Ataulf. Daeran's huge wolf. Doesn't trip that well any more. However, rather useful for coup de grace because of his high strength. Emergency tank due to being immortal and controllable.
4. Nenio - most often casts double fiery snake, which has additional sources of fire damage on top of being powerful as it is. Can't say I use any of her illusion spells.

5. Seelah - seems great with a fauchard of good, smite and group smite being very powerful. The horse seems to deal quite a lot of damage as well, all the while never being targeted.
6. Greybor - I put him on the triceratops and now he has giant reach (to the point of attacking monsters on a different height level). People say he is squishy, but it seems irrelevant because he is too far away for anyone to damage him. I branched him out into a mutant warrior, a slightly questionable choice because I thought that Destructive Showave was unaffected by DR and so his strength would be important.

To be honest, I don't understand why people talk about tanks in the game. E.g., "Camellia is a dex tank". It seems the summons and the companions are one-shot "tanks" - at least on Hard (maybe the AI is cleverer on Unfair). All the characters can just focus on dealing as much damage as they can, so long as they are mounted. You sprinkle skeletons and other stuff all over the place, whilst the melee fighters fight mounted from afar in safety.

Most entertaining writing so far is probably for smutty Camellia. She just has to return some videotapes. The feelgood story is the first time travel episode with Aeon.

The most annoying part is the overabundance of loading screens connected to the crusades. Why do they need a separate loading screen for every fort, couldn't they all be combined on a single scrollable screen.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
AS for the speed of summons in TB mode, in kingmaker, you can speed up animations in TB 10x. Here only 3x.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom