Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The druids are encountered way before then, you are thinking about the scripted encounter but there are random ass druids + their buddies
waiting to fuck you up just dotted around the map

Honestly the ancient treant is way worse than the druids
Oh I cheked my notes and there's one party of exiled druids in a far corner of the map. It's obvious you don't have to fight them because they're right on the edge, not blocking your path to anything. Just an out-of-the-way challenge. The rest of the map is animals, trees, and a few demons.

Edit: Oh, I did play with standard enemies and not increased. If increased adds more druids everywhere, then you're getting what you opted into.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
The druids are encountered way before then, you are thinking about the scripted encounter but there are random ass druids + their buddies

Oh I cheked my notes and there's one party of exiled druids in a far corner of the map. It's obvious you don't have to fight them because they're right on the edge, not blocking your path to anything. Just an out-of-the-way challenge. The rest of the map is animals, trees, and a few demons.

Edit: Oh, I did play with standard enemies and not increased. If increased adds more druids everywhere, then you're getting what you opted into.
Yeah it's probably because of the increased spawns

Interesting

vazha

Arcane
I ve got just one question, one only - are Sarkorians Armenian?

I'll see myself out, thankee.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I'm finally on the last dungeon of chapter 3 (like, fuck. With all the DLC, it's insanely long). Anyhow, it's hilarious to me how the Queen and her Herald and all her army just get decimated by a bunch of low level spear demon things if you don't help them. They are useless.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

It's a great map. Up there with Old Sycamore.

Desiderius

Patron
ok many mobs have true sight but its usually the bosses if i remember correctly.
You can buff with mind blank to deny divination-based concealment negation. I don't remember things having true sight until late act3. Until you get it on a caster you can use scrolls, pretty sure they are sold. Only thing that can truely break through concealment is echolocation.
Also worth noting a lot of bosses with concealment also have mindblank (like playfull dorkness) so only way to break through their concealment is either dispelling the mindblank or echolocation from a UMD scroll or shared by an alchemist/BFT
Symbol of Revelation works.

Symbol vs Playful.jpg

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
To be fair it is natural behaviour in CRPGs to kill everything you come across. It isn't immediately obvious when you encounter those spirit druids, that you can actually just skip past them.

Imagine if, for example, one of your party members commented, upon entering the area, something like 'this place looks dangerous' etc
When you pick up the item, a ghost pops up to start yelling at you. I put it back because I knew if it was an encounter I was expected to manage without too many problems it'd just trigger automatically instead of giving me a warning.
Oddly, in my last playthrough, I couldn't understand the ghost. It was only through previous play-throughs that I knew what was going on (and kept the whip, because I wanted the sweet xp from 6 or 7 high level spectres)

I'm pretty sure it adds at least one druid to the mix. On Core, it's not a big deal, but Hard/Unfair might be otherwise.

volklore

Arcane
Unfair TB is really hard on squishy MC. Nothing like a wave of gargoyle spawning and double boneshaker your squishy ecclesitheurge before you can act. I came prepared for hold person in the cave with a FoM scroll but I guess I will need to bring more stuff and probably pop a bunch of summons to prevent the final wave to gang my MC. I somehow always forget how brutal early act2 is. My MC has to camp in invis every 1st round of scripted fights or it just get murdered before it can act, and my entire party has imp.initiative.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Unfair TB is really hard on squishy MC. Nothing like a wave of gargoyle spawning and double boneshaker your squishy ecclesitheurge before you can act. I came prepared for hold person in the cave with a FoM scroll but I guess I will need to bring more stuff and probably pop a bunch of summons to prevent the final wave to gang my MC. I somehow always forget how brutal early act2 is. My MC has to camp in invis every 1st round of scripted fights or it just get murdered before it can act, and my entire party has imp.initiative.
The gargoyle cave is overtuned considering how early it is in the game. This mission should definitely be somewhere after the leeper's smile.
I did it once on Unfair and that's enough for me. I'd rather drink the invisibility potion and hide in the corner, waiting for Regill to kill all the gargoyles.

volklore

Arcane
Anybody having issues with mounted characters sometimes not making full attacks in TB when not moving? Is there a way to fix this ?

Yosharian

Arcane
That happened to me all the time. The only thing that I occasionally used to fix it was switching to RTWP then back to TB

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
volklore As I am writing here for the umpteenth time, the Gargoyle Cave is one of the few places in the whole WotR where Delay Poison, Communal + Stinking Cloud work. Read monster descriptions.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Improved Initative is helpful, but far from sufficient on Unfair. You need high Dex, Initiative boosting class abilities (inquisitor, instinctual warrior, Divination Wizard, Sword Saint, Sohei) or, barring that, stacking also Inspiring Leader Mythic Ability, Mythic Improved Initiative and items like Wind Helmet too.

What is really helpful there is an Intimidation character with a Thug dip.

volklore

Arcane
volklore As I am writing here for the umpteenth time, the Gargoyle Cave is one of the few places in the whole WotR where Delay Poison, Communal + Stinking Cloud work. Read monster descriptions.
There is like two gargoyle (the two clerics which are part of the entrance wave at the end) that aren't ''half-fiend'' in the whole fight what are you even on about ?

volklore

Arcane
Improved Initative is helpful, but far from sufficient on Unfair. You need high Dex, Initiative boosting class abilities (inquisitor, instinctual warrior, Divination Wizard, Sword Saint, Sohei) or, barring that, stacking also Inspiring Leader Mythic Ability, Mythic Improved Initiative and items like Wind Helmet too.

This was my plan pretty much. I have Saint woljiff, Sohei seelah, my ecclesi was going to eventually pick warrior priest + mythic warrior priest(TTT) and has the pickpocket BG. But some of those abilities aren't going to be online until later

Let's not sugar coat it, the companions in Kingmaker were way more likeable and behaves less like cunts than the ones in WOTR.
Oh sweet god.
Damning praise, indeed.

The gargoyle cave is overtuned considering how early it is in the game. This mission should definitely be somewhere after the leeper's smile.
I did it once on Unfair and that's enough for me. I'd rather drink the invisibility potion and hide in the corner, waiting for Regill to kill all the gargoyles.
I was OK with this scenario, though I agree it's overtuned--even for Core. My only real complaint is that the second wave doesn't just come through the cave entrance, but also spawns behind the player. That's justifiable for winged creatures outside, but not in a cave.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
There is like two gargoyle (the two clerics which are part of the entrance wave at the end) that aren't ''half-fiend'' in the whole fight what are you even on about ?
Well, read again. Also, count.
Marching Terror works, too. Will saves are not that high for most of the grunts.

Desiderius

Patron
It’s either bugged or over-designed since the HK Magic Weapons don’t bypass the Garg DR/Magic, making them largely useless if you do the fight conventionally.

The guy sitting by himself down below who cheers when you find him is probably a hint that letting Reg and his boys take care of the fight themselves is not entirely unintended. LE is so balls out for survival of the fittest? Let’s see how fit they are to join my army.

The Mobility check to get there isn’t trivial.

I’ve also been able to position my MC away from the spawns to avoid undue attention, but they will beeline Good characters (if they see them) because they come with Smite Good.

Desiderius

Patron

This was my plan pretty much. I have Saint woljiff, Sohei seelah, my ecclesi was going to eventually pick warrior priest + mythic warrior priest(TTT) and has the pickpocket BG. But some of those abilities aren't going to be online until later
P:K and Wrath give inactive companions EXP (unlike BG) for a reason. The game isn’t designed to be played straight through with the same six-man party. Gargs Smite Good is a massive bonus, especially on Unfair, but not vs non-Good companions.

Rhobar121

Scholar

P:K and Wrath give inactive companions EXP (unlike BG) for a reason. The game isn’t designed to be played straight through with the same six-man party. Gargs Smite Good is a massive bonus, especially on Unfair, but not vs non-Good companions.
I wouldn't call that a good argument, given that the AI ignores everything except the main character in this fight anyway :)

In this case, Pathfinder is closer to newer Bioware games like DA or ME where there is a lot of emphasis on being able to experience as much content as possible during one playthrough.
Given that companions are what largely sell Bioware games, it makes sense to let the player experience as much of their content as possible.
I bet in about 4-5 years their next game will be more like DA or ME than what they've done so far.

In the case of newer crpg games, Pathfinder is probably the only game that for some reason only allows exp for active companions (which causes some problems with exp).

In both games you can lose companions during the game (especially in Kingsmaker), if you couldn't replace them it would be stupid and problematic (mercenaries are hard to call a full-fledged character).

Last edited:

Rhobar121

Scholar
newer Bioware games like DA or ME
Which Dragon Age? If you are mixing Origins and Inquisition here, then...
It doesn't matter, the emphasis on companions (with better or worse results) has been put by bioware for years.
They have noticed that it sells and have been focusing on it for a long time.

I bet there will be even more of that in the new Owlcat game.
There's also this unannounced third person game that smells like a Russian copy of ME.
if you couldn't replace them it would be stupid and problematic
Why? It is the consequence of the player's choices. C&C should be heavy and hard-hitting, not a reprimand in high school.
You don't design games that way, at least if you have bigger ambitions than being a niche studio. Owlcat learned this from Kingsmaker, where one wrong choice meant you could practically restart the playthrough. Of course you found out 20 hours later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom