Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Ha, there I was toddling along happily with an Azata hideous laughter/hellfire ray/chain lightning spammer run (past the legend choice bit), when a quest called me to my hippy floating rock, and BOOM, Mephistopheles. :D

Hardest fight since Laughing Asshole or whatever his name was, though completely different. Normally buffing up to the gills makes everything super-easy (barely an inconvenience :) ), but he's a tough cookie and that unresistable fire spell spam is scary.

Caught up to the DLC: Ulbrig is quite a useful companion, already on a good track build-wise when you get him. The death from above flying charge is very cool. Quite a poignant start to his story so far, but I'm not expecting much story development beyond that.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
4th level divine spells are brutally overloaded. Even Abundant Casting isn't enough and you probably wanted to take cleric domains with your mythic. Good reason to have at least 2, possibly 3 divine casters. Though I honestly just kind of went without optimal defensive buffs most of the time unless an area was really destroying me. Heighten metamagic can help but those classes are also feat starved if you're trying to make them melee capable.
Which is the opposite of P:K. Good job Owlcat making setting matter.

Learned the hard way that there isn't really good reason to (make them melee-good, they're capable with one Feat) in most cases. They can but they have good other options. Other classes can handle some of the 4th level buffs - no need for multiple Divine unless you want to. Ember, Seelah, and Aru have those spells too.

Desiderius

Patron
I really, REALLY need a death ward communal.
You don't. You need to play smarter.

Tavern can be skipped. Talk to Irabeth. Grease isn't very good on Defense because it makes your own team fall down and gives the ranged attackers a -4 malus. Get over the Grease addiction.

It *is* pretty much the only place in the game where Sleep, Cause Fear, Scare*, and Hypnotism are good because most of the mobs are lvl 1 or 2. There's a Sleep Wand cheap for sale inside.

Web also works well because it's long lasting and debuffs AC for the archers.

* - decent way to apply Shaken even on made save throughout Act 1

Nirvash

Liturgist
I abused the shit out of web in kingmaker when i made braindead fighter archer, but at the moment my damage is mostly melee and i slumber all the way. (will swap the succubus for the melee elf)
I did everything but the market boss, those damn shadows.

I plan for:
main braindead fighter 2h
custom healbuffbot unarmed tower shield tank cleric (str 10 so i can't even equip tower shield until i find those damn +str belts)
custom bard caster
Lizardudebro braindead archer
slumber elf (i love the silly elf)
*whatever companion damage dealer*

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Make sure you have a pet somewhere there. All the carry weight will make you move faster and it will be better in combat then most of your dudes.

Mauman

Scholar
Second Owlcat did a poor job in adapting the AP, so the pacing is all off and the story beats are poorly written.
I kind of disagree here, considering the original AP was extremely shit to begin with.

Hell, they managed to IMPROVE Iomadae (a low bar to clear I know, but even as the queen bitch she is in the game, she's still miles better than the literal torture queen she is in the AP).

MartinK

Learned
Paizo writing was never any good. Wasn’t there a controversy a while ago concering one of their AP containing a cute teenage aasimar girl NPC who fucks displacer beasts?

MerchantKing

Learned
Paizo writing was never any good. Wasn’t there a controversy a while ago concering one of their AP containing a cute teenage aasimar girl NPC who fucks displacer beasts?
Change displacer beasts to orcs and the story will now be profitable.
is8COo4.png

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I do like some of the mechanics and the sheer amount of build options, but it doesn't matter when a good chunk of the abilities you have are useless because you're fighting mostly demons, who have a specific set of immunities and resistances.
I feel like its mostly fine, except for the omnipresent poison immunity (which really needs ascendent element poison)? I guess almost everything having spell resistance is also annoying but its not that high and once you spec a bit into beating SR its a non-issue.

For the most part enemies have different sets of saving throws and there's various enemies with really high AC but low touch AC and so on. So matching your attacks to what you are fighting does pay off. Of course eventually its also easy to just overpower anything even if you're fighting their strongest defense, a consequence of the very inflated power levels in Wrath.
You're still fighting mostly demons though. Kingmaker has a much more varied roster of enemy types.
You had Trolls, Monsters, Fey, Undead, kobolds, lizardmen, humans and other strange things.
In Wrath its mostly demons throughout all of the acts and the game eventually just spams huge monsters at you. I haven't seen a Vermlek since act 1. Whilst the saving throws might be different, they still share a lot of similar traits such as electricity and poison immunity.
This means that for most of the game you will never touch either of those except in specific circumstances, and I find that to be poor encounter design.
You can't even use poison against humans late game because in act 4 they all have life bubble.

Even Fallout 1 had a variety of enemy types, and your main antagonistic faction were Super Mutants.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
I do like some of the mechanics and the sheer amount of build options, but it doesn't matter when a good chunk of the abilities you have are useless because you're fighting mostly demons, who have a specific set of immunities and resistances.
I feel like its mostly fine, except for the omnipresent poison immunity (which really needs ascendent element poison)? I guess almost everything having spell resistance is also annoying but its not that high and once you spec a bit into beating SR its a non-issue.

For the most part enemies have different sets of saving throws and there's various enemies with really high AC but low touch AC and so on. So matching your attacks to what you are fighting does pay off. Of course eventually its also easy to just overpower anything even if you're fighting their strongest defense, a consequence of the very inflated power levels in Wrath.
You're still fighting mostly demons though. Kingmaker has a much more varied roster of enemy types.
You had Trolls, Monsters, Fey, Undead, kobolds, lizardmen and other strange things.
In Wrath its mostly demons and the game eventually just spams huge monsters at you. I haven't seen a Vermlek since act 1. Whilst the saving throws might be different, they still share a lot of similar traits such as electricity and poison immunity.
This means that for most of the game you will never touch either of those except in specific circumstances, and I find that to be poor encounter design.
You can't even use poison against humans late game because in act 4 they all have life bubble.
I had a player try to use a poisoner character in one of my games and the amount of hoops we had to jump through to make it even halfway viable was fucking ridiculous

Desiderius

Patron
Consider Skald over Bard, basically an improvement in every way possible.

Not every way. Base Bard is pretty boring although it still has Unique things like Fascinate and Fear Song along with some extras here and there, and the rest of your team can benefit from buff Songs while casting.

Archetypes like Dirge and Court Bard have their own things going on. Depends if your party wants to lean more toward fighting or offensive casting.

The current run I have on hold is Beast Tamer with Summoning Focus and it is really well designed. Monster Tactician was very solid in P:K and this adds Bard spellbook and some Songs to it.

Auto Magic Fang, Greater on Summons is a nice one. Free Augment Summoning saves two Feats (don’t need dead Conj Spell Focus prereq).

Last edited:

Nirvash

Liturgist
My bard exist to buff before the fight, sing the song of cheerleading at the start, summon shit during it and then heal at the end.
And after the equipment and feats roll in, some offense/debuff magic i lack.

Anyway, lv5, magic companion weapon, get big spell and get stronk spell, heroism/song/bless, my braindead 2h fighter is starting to happy cleaving the shit out of everything.

Desiderius

Patron
Dirge Bard is okay, other archetypes can suck-a-dick.

You’re such a memetard. Game’s just too big for some people to wrap their minds around.

My bard exist to buff before the fight, sing the song of cheerleading at the start, summon shit during it and then heal at the end.
And after the equipment and feats roll in, some offense/debuff magic i lack.

Bards/Skalds aren’t very good Summoners and Channeling should handle healing needs. Soothing Song is solid but you don’t get that until lvl 14 and should have plenty of Channels by then. Likewise Song can be activated pre-combat especially with Lingering.

That leaves you a whole action econ to play with and I’ve found them better offensive casters than fighters in Wrath with help from Azata. Skald might be better fighter but it’s the only one that can cast while getting Rage Powers so end up casting with it too.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Wrapping up my Vivisectionist Lich playthrough (what the fuck was I thinking playing without a merged spellbook).

Sure I am strong and can hit flatfooted ac with even my last attack think I have like 12 apr? True mutagen is amazing too.

Next playthrough is going to be Trickster into legend secret ending. I either want a mutation warrior or a skald.

I want something suitable for hard that can blend up everything with big numbers and pass every skillcheck, 40 levels to work with what would be best?

Yosharian

Arcane
I either want a mutation warrior
SS13/MW7 is pretty powerful IMO

There's a build on my page, it's for Demon but you could adapt it

It's pretty half-arsed, I haven't done the race properly and the feats are based on this disarm idea I had that didn't even work properly

But the core idea is exploit SS & MW fighter levels stacking when they shouldn't lolololo

You get the idea

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Its strong even without the Mutagen stacking cheese. Not that 5 levels of MW are of that much help here: its just a single Mutagen Discovery (plus Weapon Training, bonus feats).

2 levels of IW round it up nicely: 13 SS / 5 MW / 2 IW

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Those are cool but I'm going to go trickster into legend after so I've got 40 levels to play with.

I was thinking 2 Pal/1 Oracle/1 Scaled Fist just for AC/saves and then 36 levels of something for big damage, Either using grave singer or a fauchard or two scimitars/rapiers/kukris. The IW is less cheesy and gets uncanny and evasion or something.

Yosharian

Arcane
Its strong even without the Mutagen stacking cheese. Not that 5 levels of MW are of that much help here: its just a single Mutagen Discovery (plus Weapon Training, bonus feats).

2 levels of IW round it up nicely: 13 SS / 5 MW / 2 IW
Woops I meant SS13/MW7

Yosharian

Arcane
Honestly IMO Legend is best picked for RP reasons, and the best RP path for it is Demon -> Legend.

Legend just comes really late and by that time you are pretty much done with the game

I really don't know if I would give up Trick Fate and other Trickster insanity for just 20 extra levels

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Honestly IMO Legend is best picked for RP reasons, and the best RP path for it is Demon -> Legend.

Legend just comes really late and by that time you are pretty much done with the game

I really don't know if I would give up Trick Fate and other Trickster insanity for just 20 extra levels
Yeah, people are excited about keeping the Perception crit feats and still having another 20 levels to pick, but frankly going Legend from a strong Mythic Path, like the Trickster, is a downgrade in Power Gaming terms.
Despite the pile of BAB, attacks, stats, HPs and skills you're getting.

The Mythic Path abilities & spells, as well as Mythic Abilities & Feats round and complement the character more (if picked correctly, that is).

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I feel like that's a problem with all the late mythics, they come at a point in the game where you just want to push to finish, not experiment with weird shit, unless it's your 15th playthrough.

Dumbfucks should have made more content for the basic paths instead of adding random shit 30 minutes before finale, but I guess this is the (Owlcat's) way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom