Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

For Legend especially. Spending 15 mins pressing buttons to level up another 20 levels is a bit of a downer.

That said I can definitely understand that implementing a full MR3->10 path probably takes 5-10x the effort of what the late game mythics take. If we're stuck with late game mythics then they just needed to have more relevant and interesting content for Act 5 pre-threshold. Inevitable Excess is... really not what anyone wanted, I think.

MerchantKing

Learned
For Legend especially. Spending 15 mins pressing buttons to level up another 20 levels is a bit of a downer.

That said I can definitely understand that implementing a full MR3->10 path probably takes 5-10x the effort of what the late game mythics take. If we're stuck with late game mythics then they just needed to have more relevant and interesting content for Act 5 pre-threshold. Inevitable Excess is... really not what anyone wanted, I think.
But that's the best part of this game!

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So I'm a proper devil now
0A339C87721A32784D1DFC10E3BB7984E5650E0E

Some observations -

You get unlimited power word, dominate and HFR casts. Which is kind of nice if you built for it. I, however, did not as I was going for more of a martial inquisitor build.

You also get Fire immunity, which ironically means that Hellknight does not synergize that well with devil.
It also doesn't synergize that well with Infernal Bloodline Sorcerers as they get most of what that mythic path offers (and more. Power of the Pit grants both fire AND poison immunity), which is kind of weird. I guess it does encourage some multiclassing as you get back the abilities you "lose" but still, kind of awkward.

In fact, Devil seems to be better for support characters or casters, as you get a lot of nice support abilities and spells but nothing that really increases your BAB other than Aeon Bane
That Hell Seal that instantly kills an allied target if their health drops low and deals damage to enemies seems to work on summons and dominated enemies, which makes it a lot more viable.
You still get Gold Golem Summons at Rank 9 as devil, which is weird to me. You'd think you can summon something more diabolical.
You do not get a Devil Mythic Spellbook; your spellbook effectively stops at level 5 spells for Aeon, which is lame.

In short, kind of cool but still feels half-baked. I don't feel weaker, which is what I was worried about, but the fact that its a late game path that doesn't entirely synergize with all builds (you absolutely need Fire Ascendency and Spell pen to make the most of Devil) feels awkward and that you still get some Aeon path abilities in the form of Golems feels phoned in. You don't even lose the Aeon version of Bound of Possibility, which is great because that enchantment is amazing, but still, kind of lame for a DEVIL mythic path.

Apparently the best designed paths are Angel and Demon, which if true indicates that they worked on those the longest and most other paths afterwards came later, with the late game paths being mostly afterthoughts that they just squeezed in there because they thought it would be cool.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Wrapping up my Vivisectionist Lich playthrough (what the fuck was I thinking playing without a merged spellbook).

Sure I am strong and can hit flatfooted ac with even my last attack think I have like 12 apr? True mutagen is amazing too.

Next playthrough is going to be Trickster into legend secret ending. I either want a mutation warrior or a skald.

I want something suitable for hard that can blend up everything with big numbers and pass every skillcheck, 40 levels to work with what would be best?

Prestige works well with Legend since you can get full development of base class along with two Prestiges.

I did Aldori Defender6/Aldori Swordlord10/AD4, then finished up AD with Legend and added Duelist 10. Aldori Defender is good fit with Trickster to supplement the damage with Sneaks and add in some Illusion buffs. Swordlord is strong at defense and debuffing attacks but can use the damage help.

Angel and Demon are the two paths that are always available and tie into a war of angels vs. demons, it only makes sense that they have the most content.

Desiderius

Patron
The other ones have a good bit too, it's only the late game ones they skimped on, which seems to be the pattern. P:K KM was also unfinished.

EdgyRightWinger

Educated
Patron

I'd accept a zero-content version of the Legend path if it just let me play as legend from the start.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In short, kind of cool but still feels half-baked. I don't feel weaker, which is what I was worried about,
That's because you haven't experienced the end-game Aeon powers: Move Action abilities and casting, Selective Zero State with Quicken Rod, other high level spells like Edict of Impenetrable Fortress / Invulnerability, Freezing Nothingness (can't cast spells on successfull save... Areelu anyone?), Black Hole, Perfect Form, De-Mythification...

MartinK

Learned
If they wanted to make a game about becoming mythic hero and eventually a demigod by exploiting the working sof the universe in subtle ways they should have set it in Glorantha instead of Golarion.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
If they wanted to make a game about becoming mythic hero and eventually a demigod by exploiting the working sof the universe in subtle ways they should have set it in Glorantha instead of Golarion.
Different setting, different company.
Owlcat had license from Paizo. Paizo does not own HeroQuest.
As such, Owlcat could not set it in Glorantha, even if they wanted to.

MartinK

Learned
They could very likely get the licence for cheap. Stafford supposedly really wanted a Glorantha set CRPG to be made and for core Chaosium staff he’s a diety.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I mean it's a fun idea, and very anti-Sawyerian. Instead of 1.75% bonus damage on levelups , every once in a while you get somethng broken as shit.

Desiderius

Patron
They could very likely get the licence for cheap. Stafford supposedly really wanted a Glorantha set CRPG to be made and for core Chaosium staff he’s a diety.
Probably. But that would have to be for another game.
Doesn't Hasbro own HeroQuest now?

Just promise to make everything black and ghey and they’d pay you to take it.

Aphex81

Scholar
I played 5 hours of this trash before i gave up. I mean, i will buy crpgs on principal alone but i would really like something good for once. The writing is some of the worst i have ever seen. Walls of exposition and cringe. The gameplay is utter trash. Prebuff, watch them hit stuff every 3 seconds. Clunky movement, clunky camera...such a slog. I guess a "spiritual successor" of Dragon Age Origins is too hard to pull off. Also Unity, God please someone kill this engine already and put it out of it's miserable existence.

MartinK

Learned
Probably. But that would have to be for another game.
Doesn't Hasbro own HeroQuest now?
It’s different HeroQuest. Heroquest is a type of complex magic ritual in Glorantha (default Runequest setting), while HeroQuest is a fantasy tabletop game for kids.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
In short, kind of cool but still feels half-baked. I don't feel weaker, which is what I was worried about,
That's because you haven't experienced the end-game Aeon powers: Move Action abilities and casting, Selective Zero State with Quicken Rod, other high level spells like Edict of Impenetrable Fortress / Invulnerability, Freezing Nothingness (can't cast spells on successfull save... Areelu anyone?), Black Hole, Perfect Form, De-Mythification...
You can use metamagic on mythic spells? I did not know that.

Nirvash

Liturgist
No really, i'm supposed to play this real time like kingmaker or turn?

Cuz i can already see alot of bullshit damage calc and movement, like the swarms can 100-0 my full party in a single turn.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I found it plays better on TB, if a bit slower. There's too much bullshit going on to play RTwP comfortably.
I wish they had an actual speed button like in Pillars. Tactical Time Flow feels rubbish to use.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom