Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

skaraher

Cipher
How should I build Camellia? Yeah she's tanky but her damage sucks. Ember seems better at debuffing, and other characters have more useful buffs (such as Haste) that Camellia can't get.

Currently my party is Mutagen Warrior PC, Camellia, Nenio (only wizard so far, fucking hate her personality), Daeran, Woljitt, & Wenduwag with throwing axes.
She's a swiss knife and able to complement most holes in your party composition. When she gets her enemy bane weapon power up she wont suck at DPS. For higher difficulties, check the build autists guide on youtube, CRPGbro include her in his ideal party composition.

Humanophage

Arcane
How should I build Camellia? Yeah she's tanky but her damage sucks. Ember seems better at debuffing, and other characters have more useful buffs (such as Haste) that Camellia can't get.

Currently my party is Mutagen Warrior PC, Camellia, Nenio (only wizard so far, fucking hate her personality), Daeran, Woljitt, & Wenduwag with throwing axes.
Camellia's and Ember's debuffs stack for a whopping irresistible -8 to saving throws.

Camellia's and Ember's debuffs stack for a whopping irresistible -8 to saving throws.
Take Incense Synthesizer, applies -8 to saving throws in an AoE and you don't even need to use your action. Only against mind effecting spells though, but disgustingly effective for Nenio.

Dr1f7

Scholar
damn guys I was having fun with this game then I got to act 2 with the crusade shit and I just can't fucking do it, it's miserable
and I was really looking forward to unlocking swarm that walks and eating everything

fucking assholes @owlcat what were they thinking
oh well gg onto the next game

Don't really get that complaint about crusade. It's an easy mini game. It's definitely a waste of time but compared to the sum total of 60-100 hours a playthrough takes it's minimal. It's not like kingmaker where its really integrated hard into the story and the time mechanics. If something is hard you can just skip time until you have enough to win.

If you wanted to be a swarm you'd be more disappointed by the fact that it's still 40 hours away

Dr1f7

Scholar
Don't really get that complaint about crusade. It's an easy mini game. It's definitely a waste of time but compared to the sum total of 60-100 hours a playthrough takes it's minimal. It's not like kingmaker where its really integrated hard into the story and the time mechanics. If something is hard you can just skip time until you have enough to win.

If you wanted to be a swarm you'd be more disappointed by the fact that it's still 40 hours away
yeah i didn't realize that you could skip time so
i just set it to story mode and skipped like 5 weeks until i had 600 archers and now it's ezmode
still a shit system idk why they should force some subpar homm minigame

and yes I'm not happy that swarm is far off I hate all the fucking npcs in this game and cant wait to eat them all

I still haven't finished. I just waltzed through Iz and steamrolled Deskari, but a bunch of side quests have popped up. I am having fun with the power trip though. My Trickster AT MC is a spellcasting demigod. My damage output is devastating. My DCs unstoppable. My casts per day are practically inexhaustible. I have been getting to enjoy everything I wanted out this build for a close to two chapters now. I am still having fun because of it. The burnout I was getting mid CH4 is gone. There does seems to be a lot in the way of just going out and adventuring though. I will probably finish it this weekend.

Delterius

Arcane
damn guys I was having fun with this game then I got to act 2 with the crusade shit and I just can't fucking do it, it's miserable
and I was really looking forward to unlocking swarm that walks and eating everything

hire the mage general and enemies will run away half of the time

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

She's a swiss knife and able to complement most holes in your party composition. When she gets her enemy bane weapon power up she wont suck at DPS. For higher difficulties, check the build autists guide on youtube, CRPGbro include her in his ideal party composition.
There is no ideal party composition. Different parties handle different challenges better.

And no build autism needed to just keep leveling her up since all her abilities scale with class. You can make her into a Winter Witch Ray assassin vs Devarra et al to sub in when you want that, or mod her to correct the mismatch between DEX-based and her subclass but there's not much to it otherwise.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What shape is the game currently in? I'm toying with the idea of doing an ascension run.

Dr1f7

Scholar

hire the mage general and enemies will run away half of the time
yeah that's the one i was using once i had like 500 archers saved up mostly everything started to just run away
either way i think i'm done with the game I had fun with the intro and act 1 but the crusade thing left a bad taste in my mouth, I really don't like any of the characters except the elf cleric, the combat is becoming tedious at this point, and I'm told that I'm like 30 hours away at least from going swarm mode and eating everything

anyway my final review: the game gets like
:5/5::1/5:
6/10

it really loses points for:

having an extremely obtuse ruleset while simultaneously failing to explain many things, godawful party combat ai (honestly not acceptable in 2020), mythic paths actualize far too late into the game, and finally the half-assed crusade system that seems designed just to bloat 'hours played' really basically just ruined the game for me

less offensive but still annoying:
the writing is mostly boring (though I expect that from crpgs these days), pointless potion/food/scroll crafting systems that just clutter inventory with 'reagents', bad music

redeeming(?) qualities:
game starts strong, the opening is good and act 1 is mostly fun and not too long, custom character portraits good

For the crusade, the units you really want to hire in chapter 2 are the hellknight mercs. A decent stack of them can solo basically every fight in Chapter 2 and 3 with just a few healing casts to tidy up their numbers.

Is it working yet?

Seems to work as it should for me.

The math for combining it with Phantasmal Killer or Weird is disgustingly good since they require 2 saving throws. Taking an enemy who would save on an 11 up to needing a 19 means taking your instant kill % chance from 25% to 81%.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
For the crusade, the units you really want to hire in chapter 2 are the hellknight mercs. A decent stack of them can solo basically every fight in Chapter 2 and 3 with just a few healing casts to tidy up their numbers.

Is it working yet?

Seems to work as it should for me.

The math for combining it with Phantasmal Killer or Weird is disgustingly good since they require 2 saving throws. Taking an enemy who would save on an 11 up to needing a 19 means taking your instant kill % chance from 25% to 81%.
Hellknight mercs eat your capital you could be spending on infrastructure. Clerics are fine.

By the time you get Weird you don’t really need the help. Synthesizer is ok as designed but Alch doesn’t really go with any of the Mythic Paths and none of the companions is set up to multi into it. Could do full respec via mod or merc for variety I guess.

Also activation is clunky compared to similar effects (in combat action IIRC) and it doesn’t get enough rounds to keep always up. Disappointing implementation.

Hellknight mercs eat your capital you could be spending on infrastructure. Clerics are fine.

As long as you only buy them once a week its a fairly low amount of money, and they literally can handle everything you need done. In my speedrun of chapter 3 crusade mode all the hardest fights were won with a single stack of ~60 hellknights, and you can get way more than that if you spend some extra time in chapter 2. They are exceedingly cost efficient in hard fights where all your basic infantry has a 5% hit rate and enemy DR greater than their damage, while Hellknights have over 100% hit rate (which does add extra damage in crusade contrary to normal rules) and can overcome DR.

Clerics are absolutely not worth buying as mercs compared to Hellknights, not even close.

By the time you get Weird you don’t really need the help.
It's nice to laugh at all chapter 5 fights, including bosses, on unfair.

Synthesizer is ok as designed but Alch doesn’t really go with any of the Mythic Paths and none of the companions is set up to multi into it. Could do full respec via mod or merc for variety I guess.
Yeah this is a shame. The lack of official respec for companions is irritating. I respecced Woljif, very appropriate class to his character imo. Rode on Bismuth and did his dual wielding shtick.

Also activation is clunky compared to similar effects (in combat action IIRC) and it doesn’t get enough rounds to keep always up. Disappointing implementation.

You can activate it pre-battle. For most battles you'll only care to have it on for 1-2 rounds. You may need to rest slightly more often until you reach high levels but it's not too bad.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Brother if your infantry has a 5% hit rate you’ve gotten way off track somewhere. Can do all the damage you need with Archers and/or general anyway but Champs can also do plenty if you take care of them.

You can build viable merc armies but:

(a) you don’t need them

(b) it takes a lot of infra and/or savescumming to make them as reliable as regular recruits.

Melee general with massive stacks of Convicts is hilarious but unnecessary. Conscripts otoh are pretty straightforward and can reliably get the job done if you want to go that way.

Brother if your infantry has a 5% hit rate you’ve gotten way off track somewhere. Can do all the damage you need with Archers and/or general anyway but Champs can also do plenty if you take care of them.
Enemies with 25-30 AC exist. Hellknights can take them and you don't even need that many. Champs are insanely fragile.

You can build viable merc armies but:

(a) you don’t need them

(b) it takes a lot of infra and/or savescumming to make them as reliable as regular recruits.
Like I said, I can build a merc stack capable of soloing chapter 3 battles before entering chapter 3. I don't think there's any savescumming involved, your mercs options are so limited in Chapter 2 that as soon as you unlock hellknights you can buy them every week. And its cheaper than a normal army, because hellknights are just that more efficient. Conquering all the forts in Chapter 3 in under 2 weeks also maximizes your income, I have no problems fully loading it all up with buildings. The only buildings that require saving up for are your 5th/6th/7th hall of strategy.

Conscripts otoh are pretty straightforward and can reliably get the job done if you want to go that way.
Conscripts are good units but mostly just as tanks. They don't scale up to the hardest enemies.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Pick a mage general, build some of those +3 Power Level buildings in the capital, one area fireball wins the fight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom