Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Yosharian

Arcane
Lich is just faceroll though

I just went back to this game while waiting for a patch for Rogue Trader.

I finally beat the final boss of the Midnight Fane at the end of Act 3 (Azata) after i don't know how many attempts and I suddenly remember why I used to hate the way Owlcat design these encounters.
Incredibly miserable experience from start to end and I'm still under the impression that I managed it more out of luck than merit.

IF there was a reliable way to hit the big red fucker and more than anything to protect myself from their blade barriers and other shit, I must have missed it.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I just went back to this game while waiting for a patch for Rogue Trader.

I finally beat the final boss of the Midnight Fane at the end of Act 3 (Azata) after i don't know how many attempts and I suddenly remember why I used to hate the way Owlcat design these encounters.
Incredibly miserable experience from start to end and I'm still under the impression that I managed it more out of luck than merit.

IF there was a reliable way to hit the big red fucker and more than anything to protect myself from their blade barriers and other shit, I must have missed it.

You did.

Desiderius

Patron
Best bet on Playful Darkness is to come back to fight him at end of Act 4 when you’ve a few more levels and another Mythic. He sticks around and there’s a hidden area you can get to as well.

Just let Seelah solo him at that point (11 of this is from mods that require taking feats but still I guess):

Seelah Tank 112 AC vs Playful.jpg

This is a good spell vs PD:

Symbol vs Playful.jpg

Can Heal PD to death. He isn't Undead (so can be Intimidated) but does have Negative Energy affinity.

Druid Lann Healing Playful.jpg

Lvl 19 Aeon Slayer can just mow him down straight up.

MC Aeon Vanguard hitting full AC Unfair Playful.jpg

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
I've been reliably told that Regill sux. Here's he's using his Touch of Law (from Law Domain Godclaw Hellknight talent) for guaranteed hits (warning, this requires math):

Reg 15 takes down Unfair Darrazand.jpg

I already beat Playful Darkness, incidentally. But hardly by merit.
I was talking about motherfucking Demon.

He's basically un-hittable, both by melee and spell, buffs don't seem to make any meaningful difference, even the tankiest characters are lucky if they survive being targeted by him (even after a fucking SMITE), etc.
He also seems to resist every fucking attempt at dispel or greater dispel like nothing.
How MANY very specific buffs I'm supposed to stuck to face this fucker?

What's worse is that this community is terminally autistic and when you ask for help and/or clarifications you get only vague and useless answers.
Same when you search on youtube.
"Look, I kill him solo in one turn in Unfair". Well, congratulations, Mongo. Care to explain how?

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
I already beat Playful Darkness, incidentally. But hardly by merit.
I was talking about motherfucking Demon.

He's basically un-hittable, both by melee and spell, buffs don't seem to make any meaningful difference, even the tankiest characters are lucky if they survive being targeted by him (even after a fucking SMITE), etc.
He also seems to resist every fucking attempt at dispel or greater dispel like nothing.
How MANY very specific buffs I'm supposed to stuck to face this fucker?

What's worse is that this community is terminally autistic and when you ask for help and/or clarifications you get only vague and useless answers.
Same when you search on youtube.
"Look, I kill him solo in one turn in Unfair". Well, congratulations, Mongo. Care to explain how?

There's a picture in the previous post. Just use shitty builds I guess. He's getting +2 he doesn't need here from a mod feat but the rest is vanilla. This is Unfair.

Brilliant Energy is also good, but I'm told that Mounts are always better than Divine Weapon bond on Seelah. Can get it on the Talking Weapon by then too.

This was my MC (Aeon Vanguard):

Van Aeon 15 hitting Unfair Darrazand 64AB.jpg

People typically use Shatter Defenses I'd imagine. Here's Reg after Defenses are Shattered:

REg 15 hitting Shattered Darrazand.jpg

3umFYqJ.jpg

"Look at this well designed game".
Damn newbies, where do they think they are going with JUST a half-dozen buffs and rolling a mere 18".

Desiderius I don't give a flying fuck about how awesome your MC is. I want to know what I can realistically do with my party of level 14 spastics that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. What can work and what not.

Desiderius

Patron

I've been spamming this forum with pics for years. I find whining that it can't be done not very conducive to figuring things out, with the latter a surefire way to get there on your own. Here's a list of things that can help you hit shit:

Van Aeon 20 136 AB, Place.jpg

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
IF someone wonders the stats for shadowcaster's pet at lv 15 :

9rHZGNk.png

The DC 18 save only fails at 1 but I have the shadow mythic path to make shadow evocation/conjuration 20% more real. Is very useful and powerful even at lv 15(In chapter 3).

My corrupt magic removed a lot of buffs on him and lowered his AC to 40s.

Desiderius

Patron
3umFYqJ.jpg

"Look at this well designed game".
Damn newbies, where do they think they are going with JUST a half-dozen buffs and rolling a mere 18".

Desiderius I don't give a flying fuck about how awesome your MC is. I want to know what I can realistically do with my party of level 14 spastics that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. What can work and what not.

Why are you using Bless at lvl 15? How do you not have Crusader's Edge up? It's kind of the theme of the game for God's sake.

Add some Sacred, Competence, decent Morale, Insight, and Luck bonuses.

Desiderius

Patron
Do people just not read their spellbooks and abilities? Literally do not get this. You can give me shit about using too many buffs or whatever but you’re not using any. What are you even doing?

Do people just not read their spellbooks and abilities? Literally do not get this. You can give me shit about using too many buffs or whatever but you’re not using any. What are you even doing?
Ok, let's play this game.
I will pass you my save game and you will show me "how to do it correctly".
Same difficulty, same characters, same turn-based mode.

I'm not saying there's no way, I'm saying you guys are FUCKING AWFUL at explaining it.

I read my spells. Leaving alone that in my current composition I I don't even have half of the shit, I don't think it's fucking normal that a game would expect for you to spend literally MINUTES pre-casting gods-only-know how many buffs before an encounter not to "dominate" but to have ANY chance to hit outside of the spare critical every now and then.

This is fucking awful design in general, but let's say that in this case we are talking about a "final boss" so I'm willing to give it a pass.

In this case Desiderius is correct. This is a game that revolves around stacking buff spells and you've basically just got bless, haste, and enlarge person working in your favor? You don't even appear to be buffing Seelah's Charisma for a better smite. I can't see your full party but Arue can use Ranger's Bond to share +4 AB/Damage with the rest of the party (assuming you focused her on a specific demon type, instant enemy can spread it to all others) and Sosiel should have some busted domain power from impossible domain, like Guarded Hearth which will give everyone something like +6-10 AB by sharing his wisdom bonus as an AB bonus. Nenio should have Greater Heroism (+4 morale AB) and rage (+2 morale Strength). Seelah can have Burst of Glory (+1 sacred AB), Eaglesoul (+4 Sacred str, you might have this already not sure), and Divine Favor (+3 luck AB)

For dispelling you use this:
1Um8HfK.png

If you're OK with a bit of cheese you can use it, rest, use it on another character, repeat until everyone has their next dispel attempt maximized.

Altogether that's around a 30 to 35 AB swing in your favor if you removed his two AC buffs and had all these AB buffs, and you only need 22 to hit him on everything but a 1 so you can be missing a lot of these and still do fine. And I can't even see the rest of your party to see what they might add.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't think it's fucking normal that a game would expect for you to spend literally MINUTES pre-casting gods-only-know how many buffs

This is the main issue with D&D3.X and Pathfinder in particular, especially once you start going to power gaming levels - the need to buff stack and cast all this shit like you're a one man MMO raid.

This is the main issue with D&D3.X and Pathfinder in particular, especially once you start going to power gaming levels - the need to buff stack and cast all this shit like you're a one man MMO raid.Yeah, notoriously. but that's not even the issue here.
Yeah, I know. Notoriously.
Now the problem is that I DON'T HAVE enough buffs to fill the gap between a +30 and a 60 to hit no matter how hard I may try.

And yeah, for how little difference it made, I DID use the ranger's bond in a couple of attempts, too.

Last edited:
It's a very unfortunate problem of the D20 system that AB buffs do literally nothing to help you unless they move you somewhere from 20 less than the enemy AC towards their AC. 3rd ed D&D powercreep and then Pathfinder powercreep exacerbates it, the system really wasn't designed for ACs past the 30-40 range. You do need to stack everything to hit enemies, just randomly stacking spells/abilities in different combinations won't work.

Desiderius

Patron
Ok, let's play this game.
I will pass you my save game and you will show me "how to do it correctly".
Same difficulty, same characters, same turn-based mode.

I'm not saying there's no way, I'm saying you guys are FUCKING AWFUL at explaining it.

I read my spells. Leaving alone that in my current composition I I don't even have half of the shit, I don't think it's fucking normal that a game would expect for you to spend literally MINUTES pre-casting gods-only-know how many buffs before an encounter not to "dominate" but to have ANY chance to hit outside of the spare critical every now and then.

This is fucking awful design in general, but let's say that in this case we are talking about a "final boss" so I'm willing to give it a pass.

You suck too much in this picture to play that game. Just drop the passive-aggressive act and cast a fucking spell, man. I'm not walking you through shit that I know is already in your spellbook and ability bar whatever your party comp.

What exactly are you trying to prove? Did your dad abandon you or something and you're working throuigh issues? Never learn to read and are embarassed to admit it? Dyslexic?

Desiderius

Patron
I don't think it's fucking normal that a game would expect for you to spend literally MINUTES pre-casting gods-only-know how many buffs

This is the main issue with D&D3.X and Pathfinder in particular, especially once you start going to power gaming levels - the need to buff stack and cast all this shit like you're a one man MMO raid.

Oh for fuck sake. 136 AB is powergheyming (it really isn't, it's just a list of stacking buffs that are available to anyone - actual powergaming requires a lot more skill than that), not even casting Heroism is just sad (he has Heroism, Greater at this point). Or you know Divine Favor. Or Crusader's Edge. And that's just Seelah.

Are you guys just too old to get into gaming anymore and afraid to admit it to yourselves?

You can't complain about all the minutes it takes to buff (BubbleBuff takes care of that anyway) if you're not casting *any*.

Desiderius

Patron
It's a very unfortunate problem of the D20 system that AB buffs do literally nothing to help you unless they move you somewhere from 20 less than the enemy AC towards their AC. 3rd ed D&D powercreep and then Pathfinder powercreep exacerbates it, the system really wasn't designed for ACs past the 30-40 range. You do need to stack everything to hit enemies, just randomly stacking spells/abilities in different combinations won't work.

Oh for fuck sake that isn't even close to true, espcially on Core. You can get by there on just the basics. Hard requires adding in some short duration stuff. Unfair paying attention to food and the like and some debuffs/dispels, at least by the time you get to Darrazand.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom