Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

MjKorz

Educated
"No you can't do that! You're winning the game the wrong way!
Doing whatever you want is one thing. Calling a useless crutch for shitbuilds the "most overpowered feat in the whole game" is a whole different matter.

you're still going to be broken OP by chapter 5 regardless.
By chapter 5 the game's already over and you've spent most of the game playing a shitbuild.

scytheavatar

Scholar
For what possible reason should I build for not taking damage? I have a feat for that.

But hey, keep sperging about a "proper" way to play, I'd rather do stuff that's fun to play , because I'm immortal for 2 rounds, biatch.
If you get dropped to low HP by a hard-hitting boss due to having a suboptimal party with no proper tanks, what are the chances that your suboptimal party is going to beat that boss in the 2 rounds of invincibility provided by Last Stand?

Very high. PF1e/3.5e combat in high levels is all about a battle of glass cannons, most fights are resolved in 2 rounds with optimized characters. You want to build your party so that even if the boss is not killed in 2 rounds he will be killed in the 3rd round.

MjKorz

Educated
Very high.
Doubt. Someone who doesn't know how to make a proper tank that doesn't need last stand and lay down CC to save his backline is unlikely to be able to burst down bosses. In fact, stacking AC is probably the easiest part of assembling a functional party with good synergy between the characters, because it doesn't actually require a whole lot of synergy at all, if any, depending on the classes.

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter
Many mythic feats are 1dx per mythic rank so it isn't good to take at low mythic rank
A common misconception spouted by the ignorant. The reality is such that your build should be mostly ready by MR4, because MR4 can be rushed at the start of chapter 3, allowing you to play over 60% of the game with a mostly feature complete build. If your build "comes online" at MR5 or later, then it's dogshit, because you've spent more than half of the game playing an incomplete shitbuild. Many builds cannot afford to sacrifice mythic feats to get extra mythic abilities so in most cases you will get to pick only 2 mythic abilities once you hit MR4. Taking Last Stand deprives you of half of your mythic ability choices and provides precisely zero benefit for any good build in a properly built party.
even if that were true I play with respec on because I'm not a masochist

I have self love

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter
For what possible reason should I build for not taking damage? I have a feat for that.

But hey, keep sperging about a "proper" way to play, I'd rather do stuff that's fun to play , because I'm immortal for 2 rounds, biatch.
A feat that activates once per day in situations you should never experience. When you have good tanks with a proper DC caster capable of AoE disables, you won't need Last Stand on anyone. Last Stand is one of the biggest noob traps in the game: not only does it waste half of your MR1-4 mythic abilities, but it's not even that good in a failure scenario to begin with. If you get dropped to low HP by a hard-hitting boss due to having a suboptimal party with no proper tanks, what are the chances that your suboptimal party is going to beat that boss in the 2 rounds of invincibility provided by Last Stand? Were you to build a proper party, you'd just one round the boss without getting dropped to low HP.
wow, you never get ambushed in wrath of the righteous

I can think of one specific instance where you get ganked by level 14 monsters right outside of dresen if you go north east of dresen

there are 2 giants, one floating mouth gulgljelrjghclverlr, and 2 archers on a ridge, and they will absolutely destroy your level 11 party

had to reload

MjKorz

Educated

I can think of one specific instance where you get ganked by level 14 monsters right outside of dresen if you go north east of dresen

there are 2 giants, one floating mouth gulgljelrjghclverlr, and 2 archers on a ridge, and they will absolutely destroy your level 11 party

had to reload
Ambush random encounters are countered by a high stealth skill and/or a high initiative DC caster (since they don't need buffs to AoE disable trash mobs at the start of combat).

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter

had to reload
Ambush random encounters are countered by a high stealth skill and/or a high initiative DC caster (since they don't need buffs to AoE disable trash mobs at the start of combat).
there is one specific ambush to the northeast of dresen that throws level 14 monsters at level 11 parties, that I believe is a set encounter and not random, otherwise why would the level be so juiced directly outside dresen

it was impossible to win

MjKorz

Educated
there is one specific ambush to the northeast of dresen that throws level 14 monsters at level 11 parties, that I believe is a set encounter and not random, otherwise why would the level be so juiced directly outside dresen
First of all, enemy levels mean nothing in this game. You end up fighting enemies that outlevel you a lot of the time, sometimes massively, it's not a measure of encounter difficulty. Secondly, as far as I know, the only actual ambushes in chapter 3 are random encounters. By ambushes I mean the kind of encounters where you may start the fight surrounded by enemies (if you fail a Stealth check) without any time to prepare. Also, there's the dragon ambush, but that's a special case. There are some forced encounters where you fight a bunch of cultists, but those give you time to prebuff so they're not really ambushes.

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter
First of all, enemy levels mean nothing in this game. You end up fighting enemies that outlevel you a lot of the time, sometimes massively, it's not a measure of encounter difficulty. Secondly, as far as I know, the only actual ambushes in chapter 3 are random encounters. By ambushes I mean the kind of encounters where you may start the fight surrounded by enemies (if you fail a Stealth check) without any time to prepare. Also, there's the dragon ambush, but that's a special case. There are some forced encounters where you fight a bunch of cultists, but those give you time to prebuff so they're not really ambushes.
I've already explained it

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/4160935

Physical Rewards: July Update​

Pathfinders!

Here we come with information regarding the physical rewards for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. We are very happy to announce that we have successfully prepared the paperwork, boxed up all the rewards and are packing them up for shipment to various countries.

We would like to thank all the users who provided us with information about the change of address or other data for shipping. Thanks to you, our couriers will not get lost in otherworldly dimensions!

The long wait is almost over, and we remind you that if you have any questions, you can contact us via Kickstarter messages or by writing to team@owlcat.games.

Love,

Owlcats

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So, I'm in Act 3, and I suddenly noticed that there's a giant pyramid spire in Drezen where a statue used to be. Did I miss something, or will this be explained later? It feels weird that there's no dialogue options regarding it.

MjKorz

Educated
So, I'm in Act 3, and I suddenly noticed that there's a giant pyramid spire in Drezen where a statue used to be. Did I miss something, or will this be explained later? It feels weird that there's no dialogue options regarding it.
That's the obelisk that was transported from Kenabres after you've cleansed it instead of destroying it. I remember Hulrun giving me a speech about it.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
That's the obelisk that was transported from Kenabres after you've cleansed it instead of destroying it. I remember Hulrun giving me a speech about it.
Oh right, the Wardstone obelisk. I remember them saying they were transporting it.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I finished Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous recently. I decided to go with an enchantment build, with as a halfing sorcerer on the Azata Path. My main party consisted of myself as an enchanter with conjuring spells as a back-up school so I could handle crowd control with grease and create pit when swarmed. In the middle part of the game I focused on mind-affecting spells like (Tasha’s) Hideous Laughter spell and Overwhelming Grief or paralyzation spells such as Hold Monster and Constricting Coils. But at the very end of the game, most enemies are immune to paralyzation and mind-affecting spells, so my character relied on his dragon and summonings and Azata support spells. After spending about 150 hours into the game, I was spent, so I talked the final boss down from her craziness after a brutal initial battle and then gladly sacrificed myself to end it all. I enjoyed playing an enchanter, even though I messed up slightly on his build towards the end. If I were to play this very long game all over again I would go with a martial cleric or paladin on the Angel Mystic Path, then split off into the Legend Mystic Path. This would seem to go better with the themes of the game.

My companions at the end game were

- Sheelah for her tankiness and brutal damage dealt when given a holy avenger sword

- Daraen focused on a pure healing and support build. He also cast summons to beef up the front line

- Ember who I almost gave up on until I made her into a fire blaster and backup healer and summoner

- Arueshalae and Lann with composite longbow builds

I stopped using Woljif once I had Arueshalae, who I found to be the better rogue. It didn’t help that he disappears for a bit. Sosiel and Greybor became occasional backup characters in the second half. I hardly used Regill and Nenio. Wenduag and Camelia had unfortunate halfling-induced accidents and never made it to the end game. Thoughts:

+ Replayability: This game is perfect for the broke high school student or young adult with a lot of time on their hands and not enough cash flow to go out with the boys all the time. I would have played through this several times in my broke high school days. I must have spent 20 hours just playing the beginner dungeon while I tried out different character builds.

+ Not only is there a ton of different character and party builds to try out, but the alignment system and mystic paths allow for different experiences. Yes, the dungeons may stay the same throughout each playthrough, but the mystic paths change up enough to make things interesting. I’m sure Lich would have been a much different experience than my Azata path, and I can imagine large differences between Angel and Devil paths.

+ This worked very well on my Steam Deck with the mount that allows me to plug in a PS5 controller and project the game on a TV via an HDMI cable. I needed to use a keyboard at the start to name my character and for a couple more inputs, but otherwise this game ran easily with controller inputs once I figured them out.

+ I enjoyed going on this journey with the electronic friends I met along the way. Evil isn’t always cartoonishly so. Daraen is evil through selfishness, but in my party he didn’t revel in violence and he had some redeeming moments. It hurt to have to make the choice I had to make to save him. Staunton’s story is tragic. Arueshalae’s anxiety was almost too much to deal with, but ultimately she became my waifu and I enjoyed her story’s conclusion. Sheelah will always be a bro, and Aivu was such a buddy that I couldn’t turn from the Azata path at the end. Ember and the Redeemer Queen reminded me pleasantly of something from the Death and Sandman graphic novels of Neil Gaiman. And before I forget... final toast to Liotr.

+ Lots of alternate endings depending on the Mystic Path. From what I read, the Trickster ending seems appropriately 4th wall-breaking. Aeon also seems pretty wild.

+/- The game is very complex and that can be overwhelming. The sheer amount of options is amazing and OwlCat should be given kudos for translating so much of the Pathfinder Tabletop RPG into a video game. On the other hand, even an experienced tabletop gamer like me had to finally break out a few guides and some of my Paizo hardback books and spend hours figuring out how not to screw up my party’s character builds as they went from Level 1 to Level 20. This builds my nostalgia for the less complex Gold Box games.

- I mentioned the enjoyable NPCs above, but boy oh boy did they faceplant with Queen Galfrey. She had all the ingredients to be an interesting character, but she had to make several stupid mistakes to move the plot forward. Some more private scenes with the main character where she could have laid out the tough choices she had to make and where she could have confided more on her thinking could have helped make her more three-dimensional and reasonable.

- The abyss was an unenjoyable slog, and if anything prevents me from wanting to replay this game it will be because of the entirety of Act 4.

- Heroes of Might and Magic: OwlCat fucked up kingdom management in Pathfinder: Kingmaker and they fucked up kingdom management in Wrath of the Righteous when they decided to turn to a more HoMM-style of management. I like the idea of some sort of kingdom management to break up the monotony of dungeon delving, but OwlCat has yet to come up with a decent way to make it happen. I’m glad that somebody on their staff obviously has the good tastes to pay homage to the Heroes of Might and Magic series.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Drunken Master Monk is pretty fun. First time playing on Hard and getting 61 AC on Drezen Siege plus Immune to most Illusion spells is a major upside

dutchwench

Novice
I’m glad that somebody on their staff obviously has the good tastes to pay homage to the Heroes of Might and Magic series.
If you read up on what they did before Pathfinder, or, rather, what some of the big people at Owlcat did before they got Owlcat running, you'll find out that 1) it was not simply a homage 2) the people working there have done very, very evil things throughout their murderous lives, things they have yet to be punished for.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I’m glad that somebody on their staff obviously has the good tastes to pay homage to the Heroes of Might and Magic series.

Bruh everyone played HoMM, including my grandma. That doesn't mean you should bloat your game with shallow subsystems, even if they are inspired by HoMM.

MjKorz

Educated
What's the consensus on all the DLCs released for this RPG game? I still haven't played them and will trust the hivemind on this one.

Inevitable Excess, Midnight Isles, Through the Ashes and Lord of Nothing feature separate side-story content that is utterly irrelevant to the main campaign. All of these separate mini-campaigns are mostly combat focused with little to no roleplaying depth. They have some minor integration into the main campaign, but beyond the overpowered loot and extra opportunities to get xp they add nothing of value, their contribution to the main campaign narrative and companion characterization is zero.

The Last Sarkorians DLC is arguably the only good DLC they've ever done, it features a new companion fully integrated into the main campaign with his own personal quest that isn't half-bad, although still extremely lazily done (I've done a review of this DLC earlier in the thread). The new companion has proper dialogue interjections and interactions with other companions as well.

Just finished the Last of the Sarkorians DLC fully for the first time. Pretty underwhelming experience, to say the least. Aside from Ulbrig being introduced as a companion with his own dialogue interjections and party banter, content involves mostly just revisiting the same 3 areas in chapters 2 (only 1/3 areas), 3 and 5. I'm not going to judge the quality of writing and whether Ulbrig is a well-written and interesting character - that's extremely subjective, but personally I thought it was passable in the sense that Ulbrig seemed to fit reasonably well into the party narrative wise, although his rude interactions with cute and fluffy Nenio were extremely cringe.

Encounter design was mostly undead (both corporeal and incorporeal) and swarms with some demons here and there and felt extremely lazy. The whole DLC has only two encounters of note: Kabriri champions and the Sarkorian Kinslayer. Outside of these two encounters, everything else is just a forgettable pile of trash mobs that you mindlessly autoattack into chunky bits. It was nice of Owlcat to add Swarmbane Clasps to bypass swarm DR, but at the same time it felt like P2W cheating. I still prefer the tried and true method of bypassing swarm DR via Bane of Spirit damage conversion into Force.

The Kabriri pale champions are two boss tier enemies in chapter 3 you have to fight at the same time and kill within one round, otherwise they resurrect each other. One of them is a nasty spellcaster who needs to be immediately taken out of the fight before the battle even starts, the other is a melee attacker with a massive reflex save. Since both are undead, they have a myriad of immunities, but are still vulnerable to Prone. For me, the winning strategy was to Prone the caster with Winter's Grasp and then immediately rush to his position, waiting for the melee champion to close in and then tie him up with a tank:
yuaebl.jpg

While both are technically vulnerable to prone, the melee attacker's Reflex save is too high for him to be incapacitated reliably, though he can still drop on an unlucky save roll. Once both are engaged/incapacitated, beating them down is not an issue for a properly buffed dedicated damage dealer:
lilsoa.jpg

The Sarkorian Kinslayer was Owlcat's attempt at making a "non-standard" boss fight where they throw some gimmick mechanics at you. It's buffed by multiple totems that turn into spirit enemies when killed and you have to destroy the totems to remove the buffs... except you actually don't. If you have a beefy enough martial and a good cleric (and at this point in the game you probably do), you can just pre-drop the usual Guarded Hearth before the fight starts, then buff your martial with everything you have including Vision of Madness (Attack) and Touch of Good and boost your attack bonus into the stratosphere, way above the meager 100+ AC the Kinslayer has on unfair. Alternatively, you can just dispel all of his totem buffs despite the buffs being described as being granted "constantly" which to me sounds like they should be renewed instantly:
dybyqk.jpg

Once you dispel him, he still has a whole bucketload of immunities, but, surprisingly, he's not immune to Prone, which means he can be easily (by a fully dedicated and properly built DC caster) taken out of the fight via spells like Grease, Winter's Grasp and Sirocco:
99316i.jpg

Note that while he has the Spell Turning effect that reflects spells and spell-like abilities back at the caster, it doesn't affect AoE spells targeted on the ground and also does not affect the Touch of Law domain ability (forces the target to take 11 on most rolls including saves) since it's technically a buff and almost all single target buffs are accepted by enemies automatically due to being considered beneficial.

Alternatively, since this fight takes place in chapter 5 after you've potentially been to the Bladesmith's workshop, you can just outright Weird him with the Grandmaster's rod in one round:
umxqyh.jpg

Also, at the start of the fight, he seems to be hardcoded to attack Ulbrig which basically gives you a free round, if you grant Ulbrig Last Stand or make him tanky enough to not die in one flurry.

At the end of the DLC, you get to choose a nice popamole artifact (picture shamelessly stolen from ribbit):
aocl79.png

I like the one with the elemental spell DC bonus the best. Works nicely for Sirocco, Greater Shout, Stormbolts and Mass Icy Prison.

Dance of Masks is mostly waifushit for drooling retards with another injection of overpowered gear.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What's the consensus on all the DLCs released for this RPG game? I still haven't played them and will trust the hivemind on this one.

More bloat for a game that is already too bloated and has too much content.
Agreed. Though some new classes, like the shifter, are pretty cool.
Others are clearly OP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom