Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Where the blue women at.

20220721201819-1.jpg

This might have been the worst game romance I've ever seen. From the game design standpoint.
It was so obviously tacked on and sometimes contradicting her basic storyline... just awful. You can almost see the stitches. Stretch goals were a mistake.

I will never touch this game again.
See you suckers, I'm off to play some more SOLASTA

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
"Just so you know, the second I find someone who I consider stronger than you, I will leave you to serve them and will likely betray and/or murder you as well.

We good?"

"Sure, freaky cannibal spider-girl who openly told me she'll stab me in the back the same second it serves her interests, welcome aboard! Oh, by the way, wanna mash pissers too?"

I'm trying to think of, from a role-playing perspective, a type of a character that would accept Wen into the party and coming up with nothing. There's not one reason to pick her over Lann (from a role-playing perspevtive), no matter your character's Alignment, Class, Background etc.

Stoned Ape

Savant
"Just so you know, the second I find someone who I consider stronger than you, I will leave you to serve them and will likely betray and/or murder you as well.

We good?"

"Sure, freaky cannibal spider-girl who openly told me she'll stab me in the back the same second it serves her interests, welcome aboard! Oh, by the way, wanna mash pissers too?"

I'm trying to think of, from a role-playing perspective, a type of a character that would accept Wen into the party and coming up with nothing. There's not one reason to pick her over Lann (from a role-playing perspevtive), no matter your character's Alignment, Class, Background etc.
I think there's an argument that a chaotic character would do so, either because they're arrogant and consider themselves strong enough not to worry about her betraying them, or because they find her antics amusing.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I think there's an argument that a chaotic character would do so, either because they're arrogant and consider themselves strong enough not to worry about her betraying them

It would require one dumb motherfucker of an MC to completely dismiss the possibility of running into someone/something stronger than him, considering that the very first encounter in the game is Deskari himself.

RunningWolf

Learned
Wendy like the Succ girl are "I can change her bro" meme.

You can see it play out IRL with soi type of guys marrying girls with BPD and/or tripple digit count and an onlyfans page.

Stoned Ape

Savant
I think there's an argument that a chaotic character would do so, either because they're arrogant and consider themselves strong enough not to worry about her betraying them

It would require one dumb motherfucker of an MC to completely dismiss the possibility of running into someone/something stronger than him, considering that the very first encounter in the game is Deskari himself.
I was thinking more along the lines of their being stronger than Wendaug so if she betrayed the PC they would just kill her

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Question for all the veterans here, how do you build Regill? Just go straight Hellknight route or dip somehere else? Tankish or offensive?

I ask because so far, mechanically, he seems rather underwhelming compared to Seelah who is a fucking beast on her mount and who after some buffs can both tank like crazy and deal solid damage. But, I am running a Lawful Evil MC and want the Party to reflect it as much as possible, so naturally I dropped the do-gooder Paladin for the tiny, psychopatic, religious fanatic Gnome, but he can neither absorb damage like Seelah can, nor can he deal it.

What to do with that guy?
His Aura eventually gives 3 AoE Morale AC which stacks with everything, and he can get Nobility Domain which has Inspiring Command which gives +2 Insight Atk/dam/AC AoE which also stacks.

Fight Reduced with DEX to damage which Reduces him to Tiny making him much harder to see let alone hit and gives him bonuses to damage, AC, and to hit. Along with Smite Chaos (everything is Chaotic) and Shatter Defenses he’ll have highest AB vs bosses.

Use his Fearsomeness ability with Mythic Move Action Dazzling Display to make your own Vavakia Vanguard or simply Cornugan Smash since he’ll still have enough STR for Power Attack even Reduced as long as you buff his STR with Belt or spell. Good way to cash in his high AB for more damage.

If you play RTwP he does a lot of damage with Leading Strike as well.

Trying to compete with Paladin in this setting is a losing battle but they work best side by side. They’re both Lawful.

Last edited:

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Trying to compete with Paladin in this setting is a losing battle but they work best side by side. They’re both Lawful.

Will Seelah follow a Lich*? That's the Path I had initially planned for my first run. If she will not, then I'm left will pretty much only Regill alone for that front-line tank duty (unless I meet more Companions). Maybe I can tinker with Lann too and re-focus him on stacking as much AC as possible.

Use his Fearsomeness ability with Mythic Move Action Dazzling Display to make your own Vavakia Vanguard or simply Cornugan Smash since he’ll still have enough STR for Power Attack even Reduced as long as you buff his STR with Belt or spell. Good way to cash in his high AB for more damage.

So Fearsomeness would buff Dazzling Display to cause Frightened instead of Shaken. OK, this is similar to what I once used in Kingmaker with a Mercenary Bard, and I dipped just one level into Thug to get that upgrade. How useful are Fear effects in this campaign? Are Demons on average Immune/Resistant to it?

*I've read somewhere that the Lich Path isn't actually a Path that is oriented towards casters and doesn't really synergize well with them compared to some other Paths. Is that true? I'm planning on going pure Sorc all the way to level 20, so a Path that further boosts my casting abilities would obviously be much better. I already kissed Aeon goodbye, didn't use the Aeon option at the end of Chapter 1. If Lich sucks, is there another way to get to the Devil Path (MC is Lawful Evil) other than the Aeon?

And finally:

Wew, sorry for carpet-bombing you with all the questions, I just wanted to confirm some things before I make character-development choices that are difficult or impossible to reverse. Thanks in advance, fam. :brodex:

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Will Seelah follow a Lich*? That's the Path I had initially planned for my first run. If she will not, then I'm left will pretty much only Regill alone for that front-line tank duty (unless I meet more Companions). Maybe I can tinker with Lann too and re-focus him on stacking as much AC as possible.
Don't worry too hard about losing access to standard companions, as a Lich you'll get access to some good replacements.

Blackmill

Scholar

I've been thinking of this too, since I just finished the fight with Hosilla, and think Wenduag would be more interesting to keep around. I can understand a couple reasons for choosing her.

1. Wenduag is a pretty bad person, but some of her responses (i.e. when asking "you must know these neathers") suggest her callousness is just her way of conditioning herself, because it makes her past decisions weigh less on her. I could see a non-lawful good character who worships Sarenrae (deity of redemptions and forgiveness) choosing Wenduag, because they might see themselves as having a chance to guide Wenduag towards redemption, meanwhile Lann doesn't seem to need moral help. That's not to say this would be a smart or rational reason for choosing Wenduag, but if your character makes decisions based on what would please their deity, then it's not totally implausible.

2. Wenduag doesn't think people on the surface would accept her kind. The PC clearly has some important connection to the crusade, and Wenduag might believe that if she can endear herself with the PC, then she can live on the surface regardless of other what other people think. If the PC believes Wenduag sided with Hosilla purely for survival, and that her goals aren't to serve the strongest, but to live on the surface, then I can see the PC not viewing her as a too great a threat. If the PC also sees Lann as a bit naive based on his dialogue, and has more trust in Wenduag's pragmatism, then maybe all this together is enough to choose Wenduag (at least for short term survival).

3. An especially cynical or jaded character might simply find Lann insufferable.

But I agree that it's tough for most character to find any reason to side with Wenduag.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Unfortunately unlike the P:K companions in Wrath you’re pretty railroaded. Regill will either be a very good HK or a shitty HK grafted onto a shitty something else. Especially a pet class since he starts with six non-pet levels.

People have shit they read online they’re determined to shoehorn things into when they’d just be better off reading the class abilities they already have and developing those, but I guess they don’t trust themselves to do that.

HK starts out pretty bad (as does Armiger) and if you go a different direction you’re stuck with just the bad. But HK gets better with every level (especially Reg’s build which really benefits from the Heavy + Armor Training) and by the time you hit the late HK levels you’ve got something really good with the three HK abilities, the full Will buffs, the +3 Aura, the second Domain ability (can make Domain abilities Swift in Wrath), and the HK capstones.

But I guess people don’t have the patience to stick with it that far. The Armorless is OP meme has fried people’s brains as well.

Desiderius

Patron

So Fearsomeness would buff Dazzling Display to cause Frightened instead of Shaken. OK, this is similar to what I once used in Kingmaker with a Mercenary Bard, and I dipped just one level into Thug to get that upgrade. How useful are Fear effects in this campaign? Are Demons on average Immune/Resistant to it?

*I've read somewhere that the Lich Path isn't actually a Path that is oriented towards casters and doesn't really synergize well with them compared to some other Paths. Is that true? I'm planning on going pure Sorc all the way to level 20, so a Path that further boosts my casting abilities would obviously be much better. I already kissed Aeon goodbye, didn't use the Aeon option at the end of Chapter 1. If Lich sucks, is there another way to get to the Devil Path (MC is Lawful Evil) other than the Aeon?

And finally:

Wew, sorry for carpet-bombing you with all the questions, I just wanted to confirm some things before I make character-development choices that are difficult or impossible to reverse. Thanks in advance, fam. :brodex:
No Fear is pretty good on everything until the DLC. You’ll need the Seashell from Market Square to get his Persuasion up there and some way to put down Difficult Terrain to keep things running away slowly instead of fast (use Feather Step, Mass on your own team) but it’s worth it as you’ll know if you’ve ever come up against a Vavakia Vanguard.

Intimidate is a skill check for you so there’s no “save” against it.

Helps to have good Ranged damage (Cleaving Shot is awesome) so focus on that with Lann instead of trying to tank with him. Wend can also slay with Throwing Axes.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Don't worry too hard about losing access to standard companions, as a Lich you'll get access to some good replacements.

If he cares about banter at all that’s pretty poor advice. The lich companions don’t get any IIRC. They’re basically just mercenaries you didn’t create yourself

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
If he cares about banter at all that’s pretty poor advice. The lich companions don’t get any IIRC. They’re basically just mercenaries you didn’t create yourself

Well, like I mentioned, I am very much reconsidering my initial Lich intentions because I've read that Lich is actually a sub-par Path for a dedicated Caster.

For the first Playthrough, I want something that mechanically works best with a pure dedicated caster Lawful Evil Sorc.

Werdnicus

Learned
Stick with Lich, they're cool. Not sure where you read that they are a sub-par. Not sure what that even means in this context, did you read that they deal less damage, have less utility or what?
From a roleplaying perspective if you really wanna stick to a LE type of character you should go Lich.

Ghulgothas

Arcane

And building your own party of Undead revenants from dead characters is more satisfying than any of the companion banter in this game. And unless he has foreknowledge, he's probably going to miss one or two.

Well, like I mentioned, I am very much reconsidering my initial Lich intentions because I've read that Lich is actually a sub-par Path for a dedicated Caster.

For the first Playthrough, I want something that mechanically works best with a pure dedicated caster Lawful Evil Sorc.
Where'dya hear that? Lich's tricks are predominantly made for casters.

IIRC, I think it's possible to finagle the Demon path into a workable caster. Maybe even Lawful if you push for it. Requires a lot of particular selection, though. I tried it but I got burned out before I got too far, these were the highlights. Will probably try it again once the EE+ comes out.
1635316125245.png

+Spell Penetration, +School Focus, +School Mastery yadda yadda.

Last edited:

CHIN00K

Novice

And building your own party of Undead revenants from dead characters is more satisfying than any of the companion banter in this game. And unless he has foreknowledge, he's probably going to miss one or two.

Where'dya hear that? Lich's tricks are predominantly made for casters.

IIRC, I think it's possible to finagle the Demon path into a workable caster. Maybe even Lawful if you push for it. Requires a lot of particular selection, though. I tried it but I got burned out before I got too far, these were the highlights. Will probably try it again once the EE+ comes out.
1635316125245.png

+Spell Penetration, +School Focus, +School Mastery yadda yadda.
Feels wrong that the path literally all about going into a tardrage eventually becomes the de facto best caster path. Lich gets some cool flavor stuff and a boosted spellbook, but for the things that actually matter to a spell-caster (DCs + SR), demon just gets so much more raw casting power.

Desiderius

Patron
Once you understand that LE is retarded then you can play the real caster path: Azata

Desiderius

Patron
This is what the Owlcat shysters are sucking up to:

user

Savant
I've read that Lich is actually a sub-par Path for a dedicated Caster.
large.jpg

On a serious note, I played the game as an angel oracle, a lich deathknight, a lich sorcerer (multiple times) and I am trying to start playthroughs for other paths but I just can't find the motivation to do it. In P:K I did multiple playthroughs with a lot of classes, here, even with the mythic paths and all, I can't seem to be able to.

Yosharian

Arcane
Lich is quite versatile from what I hear, obviously it's good as a primary caster but it also has a lot of powerful gish/martial abilities

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom