Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Magic Weapon, Greater will let you bypass those DRs (as will the Holy Symbol) and up that damage. That's pretty low at that point.

Lann wants to be Enlarged since he has WIS to AB and growing dice on his Bow.

RunningWolf

Learned
I don't buff much on maps with one/two relevant encounters. Since everyone has last stand i don't reload either if it goes tits up. Another reason i like Skald is how loaded his rage is with buffs so you can use it when you don't want to actually buff but need that extra kick. Just level 8 and already +5 ab. Wew.

RunningWolf

Learned
There's no encounters worth mentioning other than Smilodons on that map. Wolves and Megaloceros die in a single round to unbuffed level 8 Regill and his dog.

I will not pre-buff for one encounter. Its not about forgetting its about wasting my time. The Smilodon fight took less time than pre-buffing for it would. Also you cant see it but all mounts are at full HP, because 1 Smilo and Bear died to embers bolstered fire ray+arc + some chip melee damage.

Actually i sometimes tank with Last Stand just to save time on pre-buffing lmao.

Last edited:

IllusiveBrian

Novice
I never considered this consequence of giving Camellia a wildshape class and romancing her. Good thing my Halfling Bloodrager has some CON.
Dsnh892.png

Blackmill

Scholar
So why does resting time vary? I'm not talking about rest I vs II vs III. I'm talking about how rest I takes 9 hours the first time I use it in a playthrough, then it takes 23 hours the next time. I see nothing to indicate that anything extra happened during that time. The toggle to automatically determine rest time is turned off, of course.

Sarathiour

Cipher
It's because a full day have to pass, regardless of the 9 hour of rest time. That's the general rule, sometimes it also bug out.

Desiderius

Patron
There's no encounters worth mentioning other than Smilodons on that map. Wolves and Megaloceros die in a single round to unbuffed level 8 Regill and his dog.

I will not pre-buff for one encounter. Its not about forgetting its about wasting my time. The Smilodon fight took less time than pre-buffing for it would. Also you cant see it but all mounts are at full HP, because 1 Smilo and Bear died to embers bolstered fire ray+arc + some chip melee damage.

Actually i sometimes tank with Last Stand just to save time on pre-buffing lmao.
Sry that looked like Wintersun. Will delete. The point about ranged support for melee is a good one.

Desiderius

Patron
So why does resting time vary? I'm not talking about rest I vs II vs III. I'm talking about how rest I takes 9 hours the first time I use it in a playthrough, then it takes 23 hours the next time. I see nothing to indicate that anything extra happened during that time. The toggle to automatically determine rest time is turned off, of course.
The first rest of a day takes eight hours. If you try to rest again *that day* it will take the rest of the day. I think.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Oh my fucking god, I hate this "your MC dies, it's instant game over, reload" mechanic. Not only is it incredibly annoying most of the time and downright infuriating sometimes when your MC is a squishy pajama-wearing Sorc like mine, but it doesn't even make sense narrative-wise. Let me give you an example.

EDIT: Jesus, I didn't even realize this was such a wall of text before I posted it.

TL;DR for those who don't want to read angry ramblings:

I don't like the "MC died, reload last save" mechanic in general, but this one encounter that I've been repeating for a couple of hours especially pissed me off, because a Dragon killed my MC with a Breath Attack, with all the other 5 Party Members alive, while I had an Oracle with "Raise Dead" available to cast and a couple of Diamonds in the Inventory, who was very much still alive and could've just brought my MC back in a minute. The most infuriating part is that the Dragon was so close to death it would've been killed literally by the next action in the current turn, i.e. by Lann who would've rolled a guaranteed natural 20 on his next attack because of True Strike and shaved off that last few HP. But no, MC died, so you have to reload the last save and do it all over again because fuck you, that's why.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The angry ramblings:

So I'm in Act 3 and hunting that Red Dragon, whatever her name is and finally got her cornered on top of that tower, ready to do one final battle. Now, it's entirely possible I'm doing something wrong and suck at the game, but expecting a level 10 Party, even with Tier-3 Mythic Abilities and Feats to actually beat that thing "fairly" even on Core seems a bit ridiculous to me. Her stats are simply insane for that level. No matter which gear loadout I went with, no matter what I buffed myself with, no matter anything, the only one I could get from my Party to beat her AC without rolling a natural 20 was Seelah, and that's only because of the -4 AC penalty from Evil Eye Camellia was spamming every round and Seelah's +5 Attack Bonus from Smite Evil. And even so she needed to roll 15 or thereabouts to hit on her highest BAB attack + another one from Haste (the second natural attack also needed a 20). My MC has got all the Spell Pen Feats, including the Mythic one, but he still needed some sky-high dice rolls to be able to beat her Spell Resistance (and I could pretty much forget about ever beating her Saves, because LOL). Meanwhile, that bitch has a trillion attacks per round and her AB is so high that it makes virtually no difference whether I have 35 AC or 0. Putting Displacement, Stoneskin and Protective Luck on Seelah (who in addition to being the only semi-reliable damage dealer was also the tank) did help somewhat, but the fucking overgrown lizard has just so many attacks per round that she manages to go through those defenses much faster than I can heal Seelah, even with a 100% dedicated Heal-bot Daeran in the party, plus her own heals.

After a couple of wipeouts and reloads, I figured the honorable way of fighting just isn't gonna work and said "Well, if you're gonna spew bullshit at me, Owlcat, I'll spew it back at you". My MC is a Sorc Lich with a merged Spellbook, so he has the Exsanguienate Spell. It's a single-target damage nuke that does Caster Level d6 worth of damage, and does 1d6 worth of STR damage and some Bleed damage on a failed Fort Saving Throw, but even on a successful one, it still does the full CL/d6 damage which I think is Negative Energy, but I'm not sure (the Dragon was not resistant to it, anyway). The kicker is that it requires no roll to hit and ignores Spell Resistance entirely, so on anything that's not Undead or a Construct, you're 100% guaranteed to land a not-too-shabby chunk of damage. But, given the Dragon's massive HP pool and my relatively low Caster Level (low compared to a lvl 25 Red Dragon, I mean), I would need a lot of casts to bring it down with it. So how do you survive long enough? Welp, My buddy Daeran had 11 uses of Animate Dead at Spell Level 3 and another 6 at Spell Level 4 because of Extend Spell.

The idea was to summon wave after wave of of those Bony Bois to block the Dragon's movement towards the party. The Bois have only 11 HP and like negative AC, so the dragon can wipe out an entire wave in a single Full Attack, but that's exactly the point: as long as she was using a Full Attack each round, my MC was able to safely cast Exsanguienate every round for about 40-50 guaranteed damage a pop. The Dragon's Breath Attack was the problem, because it's AoE was large enough to wipe out the skellies and hit p. much my entire Party because of how small the fighting area is, but I stocked up on Communal Protection From Energy. One Breath Attack is enough to almost always burn through the entire 100 points worth of protection from that Spell, but only a tiny bit of damage gets through to the Party.

Anyway, after about 11-12 Rounds of my MC casting that cheesy Spell and Daeran summoning skeletons each round, while Camellia was casting Communal Protection From Energy after each Breath Attack and Lann was occasionally using his Monk abilities to activate True Strike for a guaranteed roll of 20 on his first attack for some extra damage, I managed to bring the damn fucking thing down to like 10 HP or something. So how does any of this have anything to do with what I said in the first part of the post?

Well, after so much time spent on something that can be best described as literally "anti-fun", as luck would have it, the Dragon had already burned through the last Protection of Energy I had prepared and the party was exposed. At its last couple of HP, the motherfucking thing decided to use its Breath Attack one last time. The whole party got fucked up pretty bad, but they all survived (some just barely, though). The only fatality? My squishy MC Sorc, of course. And he wasn't knocked out, he was dead dead. Instant game over, reload previous save. And the best part is, Lann was supposed to act next in the current turn and he had True Strike active, so it would've been a 100% guaranteed Dragon kill like 3 seconds after my MC died (well not literally a kill, because there's a scripted event, but I would've won the fight). But nope, instant game over, do it all over again. I brought her down this way eventually, during one bout in which the dice were unusually kind to me, but my god, like I said, anti-fun.

Not only is it super frustrating gameplay-wise, but again, it doesn't even make sense in game-world logic. Why would the entire shindig be over if the MC takes a short dirt nap when he has a perfectly alive Daeran with several casts of "Raise Dead" available right there next to him? I wasn't killed by something that prohibits revival, like Disintegration or Finger of Death, I just got burned up pretty badly. If you were really autistic you could argue that the in-game justification is that Daeran doesn't like being a part of the Crusade, and with you dead the Crusade is p. much over, so he doesn't want to revive you. But it would be exactly the same with Sosiel there instead. And even before your Party members get "Raise Dead", why exactly can't they just take your body to a Cleric that can revive you? It doesn't make sense to advance story elements with a dead MC, that I understand, but getting killed in some random dungeon by a stray Critical Hit arrow while your Party is still alive really shouldn't spell an instant "game over" when there are realistic means of bringing you back. I hated that in Baldur's Gate as well, but at least there it made sense, story-wise (i.e. your soul instantly becomes fuel for Bhaal), which I don't think is the case here.

Semi-coherent rant over. I will say, though, I really hope this kind of an encounter is a one-off or at least very rare. Cheesing fights this way is just not fun. Maybe other players built their MCs and Parties differently so that they can actually go toe-to-toe with a level 25 Dragon at level 10, but with my current setup, I really don't see how I can boost my numbers to match such an opponent. Just for example, how exactly do you build a character at that point in the game that has an AC high enough to withstand her for more than a couple of rounds even with stuff like Displacement, Stoneskin, Barkskin, Reduce Person etc? I remember certain Alchemist and Sword Saint builds being nigh-unkillable in Kingmaker, but even there in order to reach that point they needed more levels and much better equipment than what I have available now.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
You know I thought about this.
I could have joked about Sorcerer players, Steam forum players, PnP players.
Could have said haha snowballs go brr, posted funny pictures.
But ultimately, it's impossible to come up with a joke that is fun, when the source material is so miserable.

Then again, from design perspective, alternative is to basically 1 round the thing haplostyle, which leaves us with a question, how does one make any good single enemy encounters in a system like this, without either going into heavy scripting (which players could always hate for overly scripted BS) or bg2 style wrapping puzzle defences.

Personally, when I am trying to remember encounters I made as DM myself, I hardly actually can remember any with less than 2 opponents, unless it was 1 players vs 1 monster, of course. I almost always would use some sort of asymmetrical sidekick even for single bosses. Just intuitively to me it made sense because amount of player options immediately rises as 2 > 1.

Stoned Ape

Savant
Oh my fucking god, I hate this "your MC dies, it's instant game over, reload" mechanic. Not only is it incredibly annoying most of the time and downright infuriating sometimes when your MC is a squishy pajama-wearing Sorc like mine, but it doesn't even make sense narrative-wise. Let me give you an example.

EDIT: Jesus, I didn't even realize this was such a wall of text before I posted it.

I don't like the "MC died, reload last save" mechanic in general, but this one encounter that I've been repeating for a couple of hours especially pissed me off, because a Dragon killed my MC with a Breath Attack, with all the other 5 Party Members alive, while I had an Oracle with "Raise Dead" available to cast and a couple of Diamonds in the Inventory, who was very much still alive and could've just brought my MC back in a minute. The most infuriating part is that the Dragon was so close to death it would've been killed literally by the next action in the current turn, i.e. by Lann who would've rolled a guaranteed natural 20 on his next attack because of True Strike and shaved off that last few HP. But no, MC died, so you have to reload the last save and do it all over again because fuck you, that's why.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The angry ramblings:

So I'm in Act 3 and hunting that Red Dragon, whatever her name is and finally got her cornered on top of that tower, ready to do one final battle. Now, it's entirely possible I'm doing something wrong and suck at the game, but expecting a level 10 Party, even with Tier-3 Mythic Abilities and Feats to actually beat that thing "fairly" even on Core seems a bit ridiculous to me. Her stats are simply insane for that level. No matter which gear loadout I went with, no matter what I buffed myself with, no matter anything, the only one I could get from my Party to beat her AC without rolling a natural 20 was Seelah, and that's only because of the -4 AC penalty from Evil Eye Camellia was spamming every round and Seelah's +5 Attack Bonus from Smite Evil. And even so she needed to roll 15 or thereabouts to hit on her highest BAB attack + another one from Haste (the second natural attack also needed a 20). My MC has got all the Spell Pen Feats, including the Mythic one, but he still needed some sky-high dice rolls to be able to beat her Spell Resistance (and I could pretty much forget about ever beating her Saves, because LOL). Meanwhile, that bitch has a trillion attacks per round and her AB is so high that it makes virtually no difference whether I have 35 AC or 0. Putting Displacement, Stoneskin and Protective Luck on Seelah (who in addition to being the only semi-reliable damage dealer was also the tank) did help somewhat, but the fucking overgrown lizard has just so many attacks per round that she manages to go through those defenses much faster than I can heal Seelah, even with a 100% dedicated Heal-bot Daeran in the party, plus her own heals.

After a couple of wipeouts and reloads, I figured the honorable way of fighting just isn't gonna work and said "Well, if you're gonna spew bullshit at me, Owlcat, I'll spew it back at you". My MC is a Sorc Lich with a merged Spellbook, so he has the Exsanguienate Spell. It's a single-target damage nuke that does Caster Level d6 worth of damage, and does 1d6 worth of STR damage and some Bleed damage on a failed Fort Saving Throw, but even on a successful one, it still does the full CL/d6 damage which I think is Negative Energy, but I'm not sure (the Dragon was not resistant to it, anyway). The kicker is that it requires no roll to hit and ignores Spell Resistance entirely, so on anything that's not Undead or a Construct, you're 100% guaranteed to land a not-too-shabby chunk of damage. But, given the Dragon's massive HP pool and my relatively low Caster Level (low compared to a lvl 25 Red Dragon, I mean), I would need a lot of casts to bring it down with it. So how do you survive long enough? Welp, My buddy Daeran had 11 uses of Animate Dead at Spell Level 3 and another 6 at Spell Level 4 because of Extend Spell.

The idea was to summon wave after wave of of those Bony Bois to block the Dragon's movement towards the party. The Bois have only 11 HP and like negative AC, so the dragon can wipe out an entire wave in a single Full Attack, but that's exactly the point: as long as she was using a Full Attack each round, my MC was able to safely cast Exsanguienate every round for about 40-50 guaranteed damage a pop. The Dragon's Breath Attack was the problem, because it's AoE was large enough to wipe out the skellies and hit p. much my entire Party because of how small the fighting area is, but I stocked up on Communal Protection From Energy. One Breath Attack is enough to almost always burn through the entire 100 points worth of protection from that Spell, but only a tiny bit of damage gets through to the Party.

Anyway, after about 11-12 Rounds of my MC casting that cheesy Spell and Daeran summoning skeletons each round, while Camellia was casting Communal Protection From Energy after each Breath Attack and Lann was occasionally using his Monk abilities to activate True Strike for a guaranteed roll of 20 on his first attack for some extra damage, I managed to bring the damn fucking thing down to like 10 HP or something. So how does any of this have anything to do with what I said in the first part of the post?

Well, after so much time spent on something that can be best described as literally "anti-fun", as luck would have it, the Dragon had already burned through the last Protection of Energy I had prepared and the party was exposed. At its last couple of HP, the motherfucking thing decided to use its Breath Attack one last time. The whole party got fucked up pretty bad, but they all survived (some just barely, though). The only fatality? My squishy MC Sorc, of course. And he wasn't knocked out, he was dead dead. Instant game over, reload previous save. And the best part is, Lann was supposed to act next in the current turn and he had True Strike active, so it would've been a 100% guaranteed Dragon kill like 3 seconds after my MC died (well not literally a kill, because there's a scripted event, but I would've won the fight). But nope, instant game over, do it all over again. I brought her down this way eventually, during one bout in which the dice were unusually kind to me, but my god, like I said, anti-fun.

Not only is it super frustrating gameplay-wise, but again, it doesn't even make sense in game-world logic. Why would the entire shindig be over if the MC takes a short dirt nap when he has a perfectly alive Daeran with several casts of "Raise Dead" available right there next to him? I wasn't killed by something that prohibits revival, like Disintegration or Finger of Death, I just got burned up pretty badly. If you were really autistic you could argue that the in-game justification is that Daeran doesn't like being a part of the Crusade, and with you dead the Crusade is p. much over, so he doesn't want to revive you. But it would be exactly the same with Sosiel there instead. And even before your Party members get "Raise Dead", why exactly can't they just take your body to a Cleric that can revive you? It doesn't make sense to advance story elements with a dead MC, that I understand, but getting killed in some random dungeon by a stray Critical Hit arrow while your Party is still alive really shouldn't spell an instant "game over" when there are realistic means of bringing you back. I hated that in Baldur's Gate as well, but at least there it made sense, story-wise (i.e. your soul instantly becomes fuel for Bhaal), which I don't think is the case here.

Semi-coherent rant over. I will say, though, I really hope this kind of an encounter is a one-off or at least very rare. Cheesing fights this way is just not fun. Maybe other players built their MCs and Parties differently so that they can actually go toe-to-toe with a level 25 Dragon at level 10, but with my current setup, I really don't see how I can boost my numbers to match such an opponent. Just for example, how exactly do you build a character at that point in the game that has an AC high enough to withstand her for more than a couple of rounds even with stuff like Displacement, Stoneskin, Barkskin, Reduce Person etc? I remember certain Alchemist and Sword Saint builds being nigh-unkillable in Kingmaker, but even there in order to reach that point they needed more levels and much better equipment than what I have available now.

I think it might be worth looking at your party composition and Mythic Ability selection.

It's *really* worth investing in Greater Heroism ASAP as a spell for your Sorcerer, giving +4 AB and saves to an ally really helps.

If you use Sosiel, grab him impossible domain: Community for party wide +WIS to AB and saves 1/day for boss fights, too.

With Arueshale you can combine Instant Enemy and her hunter's bond to share half of her favored enemy bonus (party wide) against one target, which is also good against bosses. At Level 10 I think that works out as +3 for everyone, +6 for her*.

Also, Seelah gets a huge party buff at Paladin 11 (Mark of Justice for smilte to all allies) so I normally wait until then before going after the dragon.

*EDIT: She gets 0 casts (+attribute modifier) of 3rd level spells at 10th level, but you can give her a +WIS hat (or abundant casting level 1 for +4 1st to 3rd level spells/day) to fix that.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I guess the mechanic of reload if MC fails can get pretty annoying.

As for the specific fight, yeah it can be pretty tough if you don't have an optimized party. My advice would be to skip it until a bit later in Act 3. Level 10 is like fresh start of Act 3 (in fact I think my party usually starts at 11). I'd wait till level 12 minimum, maybe even 13 (also leave Blackwater for dead last, when you're mopping up the Act). Preferably even reaching Mythic Rank 4 before that.

Trouble is the dragon can harass your party in random encounters untill finally defeated. So unfortunately the solution is to metagame a little: don't even speak to Greybor in the tavern until you're ready to tackle the dragon.
This way she won't start to spawn.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I could have joked about Sorcerer players

What's the point of playing any other Arcane caster in a CRPG? The whole versatility thing other casters have going for them is completely irrelevant outside of PnP, because there are only a couple of actually useful spells per level in p. much any D&D-based vidya, and eventually you'll get them all as a Sorc too. One exception I suppose being BG2 where you want those Spells that are only useful during Mage duels.

Also, being able to do Metamagic on the fly is priceless. During my fight with said Dragon, I spent all 11 uses of Exsanguienate and it was still alive. I didn't need to reload, write Metamagic'd Spells and rest though, I just wrote a Bolstered Exsanguienate into my Spellbook as a 6th level Spell for an additional 10 casts in the middle of combat and boom.

Could have said haha snowballs go brr, posted funny pictures.

Ranged Touch attack (so I would've most likely missed most of the time), damage too low, meaning a longer fight, meaning more chances for the Dragon to fuck me up.

Do post funny pictures, tho. If there is a way to make Snowball some reliable billion-damage nuke, I'd very much like to know how, sounds like it could be very useful in the future.
how does one make any good single enemy encounters in a system like this

Give said single enemy a bunch of really powerful abilities, such that you can actually counter with Spells/abilities of your own that you should be reasonably expected to have by that point in the game. Sounds better than just AC AB SAVES SPELL RESISTANCE GO BRRRRRRRR HAHAHA

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
"MC dies, instant reloads" is exactly like Baldur's Gate, which was also a pain in the ass if you start with a wizard.

Edit: and hells, BGs even had a shortcut scene when you die. Sometimes it became unskipable and you had to wait till your hand is gone...

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

If you use Sosiel, grab him impossible domain: Community for party wide +WIS to AB and saves 1/day for boss fights, too.
That's a solid choice, certainly. But it doesn't stack with his default Touch of Good Sacred bonus. My preference is to get Domain Zealot + Impossible Domain: Madness ASAP. Even moreso on a caster MC - the saves debuff is massive!
This way I can supercharge the accuracy of chosen characters (or even spread the Madness a little, as it lasts 3 rounds) and also greatly debuff the saves of main enemies. Plus get a huge boost on skillchecks when needed.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Trouble is the dragon can harass your party in random encounters untill finally defeated. So unfortunately the solution is to metagame a little: don't even speak to Greybor in the tavern until you're ready to tackle the dragon.
This way she won't start to spawn.
You kno the real penepe asshole munchkins would immediately sink their money into constructing some sort of retarded ballista on a wheels fueled by holy rage and drive around with it towards nearest dragon moment they hear even word "dragon".
For all their claimed penepe experience when it comes to providing real story options, owlcats aren't so penepe.

Lambach red dragorinos are vulnerable to ice and don't have very high touch AC if I remember that fight.

it has powerful abilities aka fire breath. Problem that if you add more, then person who tries to win thru 11 exsanguinates, would have no chances at al--
ok without being snarky, abilities don't matter in a system which is decided by initiative and when enemy in the end just won't have time to cast 'em.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

I think it might be worth looking at your party composition and Mythic Ability selection.
Well, that stuff is powerful, but at Mythic Tier 3, it's not that powerful.

E.g. look at Elemental Barrage. Camellia can put two Elemental enchants on her weapon as a Swift Action, which means each successful attack procs Elemental Barrage and does 3d6 Divine damage that can't be resisted. Pretty strong, and it's only going to get stronger as she gets more attacks and her Mythic Tier keeps increasing, right? (get a weapon with Acid on it, enchant it with all 3 Elements she has available and I think it should proc twice per attack, though I will have to test this myself).

Yeah, well, it's worthless in this fight because she's never going to hit the fucking lizard anyway. I didn't see a single Mythic Ability that would allow her to bridge the gap between her fully buffed +18 AB and the Dragon's 40 AC. Sure, you could lower that to 36 to give you more of a chance (a 15% chance, lul), but you'd have to spam Evil Eye every turn, which means she'll never get to attack anyway.

But I think my biggest problem is the lack of survivability. I honestly don't know what you're supposed to do (at that point in the game) against her 5 (IIRC, might be more) attacks per round at something like 30-35+ AB or whatever it was. Haven't seen anything in Mythic Abilities that I currently have available that could help with that. I miss Protection Against Magic Weapons so much. :negative:

It's *really* worth investing in Greater Heroism ASAP as a spell for your Sorcerer, giving +4 AB and saves to an ally really helps.
Yes, the AB bonus is nice, but like I said, my biggest problem is survivability and Greater Heroism doesn't help much there beyond boosting Saves, whereas I'm getting torn apart by auto-attacks.

I don't use him, but damn, that sounds nice. Will give it a shot.

My advice would be to skip it until a bit later in Act 3.

Well, like I said, I already cheesed it and beat it at level 10 by abusing the dumb AI and that one Lich Spell, but it was a miserable experience. If I ever decide on a playthrough #2, it will be very different.

Shadenuat

Arcane
30 ab is similar to cambions in optional cave in A2 on highest difficulty if I remember right, and people survive those, which should tell you what is expected by the game from your party building if you pick actual reasonable difficulties.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
30 ab is similar to cambions in optional cave in A2 on highest difficulty if I remember right, and people survive those, which should tell you what is expected by the game from your party building if you pick actual reasonable difficulties.

Except I can actually CC those Cambions to make their AB null and void, whereas the Dragon is either outright immune to a lot of things, has a Spell Resistance I can penetrate 10% of the time despite taking all 3 Spell Pen Feats, and even if I do penetrate it with something she's not immune to, she'll shrug that 25 DC Spell off like nothing with her gargantuan Saves.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Hope you've had the Storyteller assemble the The Covenant of the Inheritor relic.
It's a great help against enemy DR... and also provides a +2 Spell Pen boost AFAIR. There's also a robe with a Pen bonus that can be bought in Drezen... and also googles AFAIR.

If you're focused on casting, taking Allied Caster Teamwork accross the party (the effects stack AFAIK) might have actually been a better investment for Spell Penetration purposes (its also much cheaper for the Main Char, you don't burn a valuable Mythic Feat).

Otherwise with Lich path your Caster Level should rise pretty quickly, helping overcome the enemy SR more easily later on.

For debuffing enemy saves, making the enemies Shaken is great (though debuffing bosses might initially be tricky without large boosts to Intimidation). Archon's Aura divine spell also, but it allows a save. And I can't recommend Madness Domain enough...

Shadenuat

Arcane
Meh I regret not putting real effort into turning dragon into dog because I was lazy and didn't understand you could leave it before you go to lab and other places, when they fix the game, I will try and replay and make sure to either Banish or Polymorph everything I can since it would look more effective than doing it to no namers.

So in 5-10 more years when Ruby Emerald Edition comes out, totally fixed, except another little patch that fixes another Sensei ability.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Otherwise with Lich path your Caster Level should rise pretty quickly, helping overcome the enemy SR more easily later on.

Having access to higher level Spells than I should normally be able to have at current Character Level and having a boosted Caster Level is probably the only reason I'm able to actually win most fights, lel. Most of them seem pretty overtuned compared to what you'd expect at that level of progression (which, setting-wise, is kinda the point I guess).

Getting a Negative Energy Sirocco at Sorc level 9 and a +3 boost to Caster Level? Yes, please.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Hope you've had the Storyteller assemble the The Covenant of the Inheritor relic. It's a great help against enemy DR... and also provides a +2 Spell Pen boost AFAIR. There's also a robe with a Pen bonus that can be bought in Drezen... and also googles AFAIR.

I have "Holy Symbol of Iomedae" that provides the bonuses you're describing.

Imagine my relief when I saw that my entire party's weapons would henceforth be considered Good-aligned without having to buff them with that Cleric spell.

"Hey bro, I know you're out there in the thick of it all, Demons climbing up your ass daily, and this item nullifies a huge advantage they have over you, making you much more effective at fighting them, but do you think you could give it to me? I think it would be more useful sitting in some guarded vault instead of here, helping you win our Crusade" - The Queen

Woman, what the fuck. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom