Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with The Lord of Nothing DLC

You can have someone spend a level 1-3 quicken rod to cast any small AOE crap that won't hurt the party. Not really hard to have it up for big fights

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Finally got back to Shadow fight in Market Square. Saved it for lvl 4 (no exp sharing shenanigans). Here's Wolj tanking the Shadows on Core:

Woj4 vs Shadow.jpg

He has Reduce Person, Shield, and Mage Armor up here, but is missing Cat's Grace, Fighting Defensively, and Combat Expertise which would get him to 31 Touch AC.

Unfair Shadow has 12 AB so not foolproof but with Protective Luck backup it's doable even on Unfair. On Core it's a nice manageable fight if you bring along Daeran to help Channel them down.

Main thing I wanted to test is whether Mage Armor and Shield work and they do. Has access to Mirror Image as well if you want it.

Notice that Shield spell is giving Deflection bonus instead of Shield bonus for some reason so doesn't stack with Prot Evil.

Daeran 4 Channel vs Shadow.jpg

At lvl 4 Daeran's Channel is only 2d6 so will take multiple activations and other characters chipping in. OTOH he has 17 DC unbuffed.

Lann4 ZA Scorch vs Shadow.jpg

Was hoping Lann's Scorching Ray Ki power would do full damage but you can see here it's only half. Probably better off letting him use his Bow Enlarged and Bull Strengthed with Perfect Strike to up damage:

Lann 4 ZA Enlarged.jpg

You can see him here wrecking house with two attacks per turn. Can use Haste potion to get up to three.

Seelah4 tanking 34 AC.jpg

Seelah's pretty solid tanking everything else. Using a mod that gives Combat Expertise as free Feat. Also using another mod that uses tabletop flanking so it evens out.

Paw3 Danger Ward Tower.jpg

Order of the Paw MC's Danger Ward is one of the best security blankets in the game.

Desiderius

Patron
BTW, killing Kaylessa on sight gets you a very early +3 Composite Longbow (good for helping Lann hit as well as bypassing DR) along with a free scroll of Death Ward from the fanfic guy back at the Tavern for the Nabasu fight.

Desiderius

Patron
First time playing the Shifter companion (and no Seelah):

For some reason Shifter's Fury is giving like six attacks when *not* in Griffin Shape but we're not here for that. Ulbrig is all about some KotC2 Grappling Action!

Ulbrig Grapple ability.jpg

Note that the orignial Grapple applies some nice maluses, including a very tough concentration check to get spells off. If the target sticks around long enough to get pinned then they're really in trouble.

It does also make Ulbrig more vulnerable to the attacks of other creatures! Strategic options and trade-offs are good design.

Ulbrig5 Grapple vs Cambion Alchemist.jpg

I like to learn new mechanics/classes on Core to give some margin for error, but also good for new players to learn from. About half the buffs up in these pics as there would be on Unfair. May have to kick it up later.

Ulbrig a little late to the party to force Concentration check on the first Bomb here, which conveniently crit misses. This guy has Fast Bombs so was happy to hold him to one. Even with Resist Acid, Communal up he can do some serious damage.

Cam5 vs Vrock with +4 DR bypass.jpg

Mimic in the Alchemist Fight drops +2 Heavy XBow which Cam can combine with her Weapon Enchant to get to +4 to bypass DR10/Good on Vrock. Usually rely on Seelah Smite for this fight so nice to have someone else who can bypass.

Ulbrig5 Banner bonus on Charge.jpg

This is why MC Cavalier is a nice combo with Ulbrig. Banner Charge bonus applies to Death from Above (Griffin Teleport Charge) and stacks with other Morale bonuses.

Paw5 Danger Ward + Tactician.jpg

This particular MC Cavalier (yes, that's Sky from Paw Patrol, my kids are helping this run) brings some other very good things to the table.

Tactician Shake it Off gives untyped Save bonus to team and Danger Ward gives rerolls with a +4 bonus. Looks like a crit miss doesn't get the +4 lol.

Ulbrig5 Grapple on Nabasu.jpgLann ZA5 vs Grappled Nabasu.jpg

Ulbrig gets his Claws around the lvl9 Nabasu in Market Square and Lann uses the maluses to light him up. Free Death Ward scroll from Kaylessa quest on Ulbrig let him avoid the Gaze.

Ulbrig5 Nabasu trying to break Grapple.jpg

Nabasu distracted trying to break Grapple keeps him from doing nasty things like casting DC 29 Mass Hold on team. That Ghoul Creeper did use Ulbrig's own Grapple maluses to take *him* down the following round. Something to plan around preventing at Lost Chapel fight. Should have used Protector of Life Amulet.

Paw5 Mount Dodge bonus.jpg

Order of the Paw is restricted to Dog/Wolf Mount which isn't as tanky as say a Leopard. It does get a scaling Dodge bonus against the attacks of Challenged foes which helps make up the gap. Getting your Mount taken out is a good way for the rider to end up dead since you fall off prone.

Lann ZA5 big crit vs Jeslyn.jpg

It's a fun game to try to Haplo up ZA with Enlarge effects with the growing dice it gets from Monk and x3 base multiplier on Longbow crits. Since it gets WIS to attack the DEX malus from Enlarge doesn't effect his attack bonus. Perfect Strike gives him more rolls to crit fish. Give him UMD for Hurricane Bow scroll and Legendary proportions later and it can get *really* high.

Daeran5 Purifier Sacred Scourge.jpg

Now that the Purifier class is finally working properly it makes a good respec for Daeran. There's an Cloak in AreeSu's Lab that adds a Daze to it, and the Channel Pool for healing is separate from the Demon killing one. Looking forward to seeing if Mythic Channeling applies.

Jeslyn Inquisitors buffed.jpgGarrison Wizard with Mage Armor.jpg

Looks like the Inquisitors you get for the Jeslyn fight in Gray Garrison (invite Hulrun) were significantly buffed.

You can put Mage Armor on the Crusader Wizards Klaem gives you (need to keep them alive to Dispel Magic on magically locked doors) to protect them from enemy archers. They rush in to this fight so good to save for last.

Ulbrig5 Grapples Deradnu mid-Charge.jpg

This is pretty funny. Ulbrig Grapples the Deradnu mid-Charge to protect the backline. Encouraging meta Rod on Bless probably a little too good. Another fight where Seelah Smite is missed because DR10/Good. Would be a toughie on Unfair.

Dear resident liches, question about Death of Elements. How is this fucking ability supposed to work?

There are some spells that I can see have their element type changed to negative, while others don't (eg. Fireball)

Also side note, taking Elemental Ascendant (Negative) pretty much negates the benefit of DoE on a character that is immune to Negative energy (you will now take damage).

I'm trying to understand point one. Is DoE not affecting spells like Fireball a bug?

Doktor Best

Arcane
Is season pass 2 worth it? Havent played wotr but i enjoyed kingmaker quite a bit and now looking to play the definitive version of wotr in near future.

Dear resident liches, question about Death of Elements. How is this fucking ability supposed to work?

There are some spells that I can see have their element type changed to negative, while others don't (eg. Fireball)

Also side note, taking Elemental Ascendant (Negative) pretty much negates the benefit of DoE on a character that is immune to Negative energy (you will now take damage).

I'm trying to understand point one. Is DoE not affecting spells like Fireball a bug?
Check that your toggle has activated the ability. Any spell with a descriptor of an element should be affected. If it's still doing elemental damage, you have a bug. The intent of Death of Elements allows you to nuke the screen while healing your undead thralls, npcs, and summons. If you select Ascendant Element for negative energy, you will be hoisted by your own petard. Better to just inactivate it while you're fighting undead.

user

Savant
Is season pass 2 worth it? Havent played wotr but i enjoyed kingmaker quite a bit and now looking to play the definitive version of wotr in near future.
The only DLC that is worth anything is Last Sarkorian, the rest is crap.
Can't get over the fact that we are getting a "citadel dlc" for more romance and slice of life shit, while the campaign HoMM-wannabe game and late mythics remain as is.
Who will my lich even celebrate with?

I liked the Midnight Isles. The campaign version was much harder, and the stand alone had weaker itemization, but it was still good for testing builds and party composition. I probably put as many hours into it as I did the campaign. Maybe more.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I liked the Midnight Isles. The campaign version was much harder, and the stand alone had weaker itemization, but it was still good for testing builds and party composition. I probably put as many hours into it as I did the campaign. Maybe more.
Well, it brought even more imbalance to the game. And in general its a pure grind fest with a couple decent set-piece fights.

Check that your toggle has activated the ability. Any spell with a descriptor of an element should be affected. If it's still doing elemental damage, you have a bug. The intent of Death of Elements allows you to nuke the screen while healing your undead thralls, npcs, and summons. If you select Ascendant Element for negative energy, you will be hoisted by your own petard. Better to just inactivate it while you're fighting undead.
This was a bug. I had to rewrite the script doing the calculations to fix it.

Yosharian

Arcane
Anyone got a save with Evil Arue in it? I want to know her racial bonuses to ability scores.

E.g. Good Arue has +2 DEX +2 CHA

Evil Arue has the same in my game. It is a few patches old though and I did force respec to fix her build, no idea if those changed things.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
I have not played wrath since release and thought its a good place to replay now since unreleased dlc seems kinda pointless.

through the ashes was a tilting puzzle game, started unfair but lowered difficulty after different mechanics such as fallen tree kept bugging out during combat and dealt no dmg. kinda shit dlc.

lord of nothing was decent but heard from couple of people not to even try unfair since its pretty much impossible to beat (maybe changed now?). anyway I liked this one.

question: main game unfair is naked tank pretty much only way to tank anything still or with sufficient amount of buffs heavier armor char can get good enough ac? or maybe dr stacking? pets seems to be op still so I would probably want to limit this to 1 horse + 1 dog

Yosharian

Arcane
Best tank is Ghost Rider + Last Stand, or just mounted combat in general

Pajama tank is still effective but you have to sacrifice quite a bit of early game to optimise for AC and little else. It does work though and later on you can begin to deal decent damage

Heavy Armour tank is mostly a meme, there isn't enough AC ramp to make it work consistently on Unfair, it will do good damage though

Desiderius

Patron
I have not played wrath since release and thought its a good place to replay now since unreleased dlc seems kinda pointless.

through the ashes was a tilting puzzle game, started unfair but lowered difficulty after different mechanics such as fallen tree kept bugging out during combat and dealt no dmg. kinda shit dlc.

lord of nothing was decent but heard from couple of people not to even try unfair since its pretty much impossible to beat (maybe changed now?). anyway I liked this one.

question: main game unfair is naked tank pretty much only way to tank anything still or with sufficient amount of buffs heavier armor char can get good enough ac? or maybe dr stacking? pets seems to be op still so I would probably want to limit this to 1 horse + 1 dog

From level one Leopard probably needed to tank. Seelah can tank once you clear Grey Garrison with TSS level at lvl 6, since you can buy +2 Tower Unique then, or +3 regular with common mod.

Seelah tanking Unfair Graveyard.jpg

She starts with Shield Focus* and Dodge and with 3 Mobility Fighting Defensively gives additional 3AC. New Armor Focus Mythics can get her comfortably there. Pal has long-lasting Veils for extra +2 stacking AC vs Demons or Undead.

I like mod that gives Combat Expertise Feat for for free but not that big of a deal. Nat 20s can be handled via mod Mythic that gives immunity, Protective Luck (which you need on early Leopard anyway), or with DR (precedes doubling) and temp HP.

After she gets Mark at Pal 11 getting her to TSS3 gives Armor Training for Armor plus Tower and can buy +5 Tower by then and eventually get good uniques. Smites/Divine Weapon Bond lets her hit things thru the Maluses but party damage shouldn't be much of an issue.

Alernatively Skald with Animal Totem and Guarded Stance can make whole team tanky, especially with back-up from Regill Aura + Nobility Domain.

* - new Tower Focus Mythic is stacking DR/- and Heavy Mythic also has same option. All DR precedes doubling.

Desiderius

Patron
Heavy Armour tank is mostly a meme, there isn't enough AC ramp to make it work consistently on Unfair, it will do good damage though
The advantage of Heavy Armor tank is that it uses two more item slots (those items come with bonuses) and is always on without requiring buffs, saving slots and being more resilient to ambushes/dispels.

It never was aside from solo type builds. Horse is pretty clunky and takes awhile to get tanky. I prefer Divine Weapon Bond Seelah to mounted even if not tanking with her. People talking about tanking with her Horse are reloading a lot, at least if she's trying to ride it. Getting thrown is no joke.

Leopard is good tank from beginning and Dog/Wolf has native trip. Other pets have their own surprising strengths but more than two isn't so much broken as taking up too much buff support and not enough items to go around plus gum up combat. If you don't like companions MC tank can be designed from scratch to get there, but will probably lag Leopard for first few levels. No shame in just playing Hard until your abilities show up. That's a more level difficulty curve.

Pets modded to Tabletop values (similar to P:K) is what I'm playing if you feel like they're still too strong.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Check out this new spell from Prophet of Pestilence Shaman.

Cam9 Fungal Infestation.jpg

Third level Spirit spell. Cast from top of Drezen wall. There was another page of explosions after this one. Would be pretty funny in Citadel Ghoul room (there's now a Corruptor Mythic that ignore Poison and Disease Immunity).

Finally a use for Dhampir. Oh, wait, Ghoul room would probably enjoy it.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, early on leopard + Shaman / Witch with Protective Hex probably best bet for Unfair tanking.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Still waiting for some modder to fix Owlcats shit once again they cannot figure out how to do a proper difficulty curve
You won't live to see it because no modder even wants to touch it with a stick covered in shit (every russian's favorite toy).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom