Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with The Lord of Nothing DLC

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The journotards are still stuck on the awful Alchemist/MW splash with Ulbrig and InEffective of all people is coming in to gently suggest they stop nerfing themselves.

If he can learn you can too. How to play Ulbrig:

(1) Don’t play Unfair

(2) On Unfair Zerg with tank to grab aggro* (Ulbrig can’t zerg anyway, Death from Above is in combat only), then use Death to take out casters/archers way behind front line (huge range). Grapple for style points or just mow down with Pounce.

(3) There are mods for Grapple Feats and/or Feral Combat Training to turn on Combat Styles (Dragon and Mantis are fun, Crane of course always there too). Shifter feats sadly mailed in. Fearsome ok I guess with respec into WIS to Intimidate.

* - use Mage Armor pots to give him decent AC, but he shouldn’t be getting attacked much

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
soon done with chapter 3 and its been very easy compared to prologue / chapter 1, chapter 2 had some good fights in it. midnight isles ship fuckness was very tedious too many islands, at least it was more challenging than rest of chapter 3 but something like 5-7 islands would be more reasonable. did not pay much attention to island buffs/debuffs other than old age gimmick was annoying. level 15 already and have not started journey to abyss yet

regarding party:

trickster mc feels very strong after mythic rank 4 perception 2 thingie helps rest of party nicely. completely normal spell + buff setup took over 1 hour to set up :?

early game paladin's horse with a shield seemed good but now its pretty pointless fully buffed AC would drop from 63->58 and would save 2 feats from paladin. 5 AC is good and all but enemies tend to ignore horse and rush to weaker chars. I might respec into some 2 hand weapon build after I find some cool looking weapon

dipping cleric into loremaster does not seem to have drawbacks other than getting 1 useless feat (skill focus), loremaster keeps pet leveling progression going which might be a bug

skald is wonderful

been playing too much so I will take few days break now

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Horse isn't just about AC, it's about free pounce

Which is isn't supposed to.

TTT gives this ability at the end of a Feat chain but normal is you get a Standard action or tandem Charge, which is good enough already.

enemies tend to ignore horse and rush to weaker chars

They only rush to enemies they've perceived. You can control that. Pal is great tank on the ground with Divine Weapon Bond and smite overcoming the malus from defensive abilities/Power attack. There's an item that converts Smite AC to Sacred at beginning of Ch 3 and a Sword that gets +3 AB with Shield equipped.

dipping cleric into loremaster does not seem to have drawbacks other than getting 1 useless feat (skill focus), loremaster keeps pet leveling progression going which might be a bug

Domain abilities like Touch of Good are not supposed to progress in LM, which would include pet.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Finally was able to test a couple things I was looking at last year that finally work:

View attachment 45460

I think this is Frigid Touch working with Spellstrike, which applies 1 minute Stagger on 17-20 Heavy XBow crit. Rime metamagic (it applies the Entangle) is also now working (from TTT I think). Both are no save.

Gormandizer has eight attax so kind of useful.

View attachment 45461

If you have the Greater Bull Rush Feat Cavalier Mighty Charge *does* trigger AoOs. Nice that Order of the Paw gets Dog Mount to get two bites at the Trip (in addition to the one from the Mighty Charge).

Deliberately avoiding damage boosting feats and abilities to give fights a round or two to play out.
Neat.
Though it doesn't seem like Frigid Touch was applied by an x-bow Spellstrike here?

Desiderius

Patron
Finally was able to test a couple things I was looking at last year that finally work:

View attachment 45460

I think this is Frigid Touch working with Spellstrike, which applies 1 minute Stagger on 17-20 Heavy XBow crit. Rime metamagic (it applies the Entangle) is also now working (from TTT I think). Both are no save.

Gormandizer has eight attax so kind of useful.

View attachment 45461

If you have the Greater Bull Rush Feat Cavalier Mighty Charge *does* trigger AoOs. Nice that Order of the Paw gets Dog Mount to get two bites at the Trip (in addition to the one from the Mighty Charge).

Deliberately avoiding damage boosting feats and abilities to give fights a round or two to play out.
Neat.
Though it doesn't seem like Frigid Touch was applied by an x-bow Spellstrike here?

It takes forever to show up in RTwP Combat Log because animations? I’ll pay closer attention. Been using a mix of no weapon, Spellstrike, and Spell Combat depending on what’s needed. Don’t have the good XBows yet so mostly just Strike.

Went Accuracy, Empowered, and Enduring Blade for Arcana. Maximized next level, and Meta Feats (don’t even have Rapid yet).

Can also use extend meta to get two turns on Frigid Stagger, but don’t have those in Arcana or Feat yet so Rod only. Can already stack Rime, Piercing, Bolstered, Maximized, and Empowered though. Going to be absurd when Hellfire gets here (Cleaving Shot then all Favorite Meta Mythics).

Been a lifesaver vs Ulbrig Swarms and bosses.

Desiderius

Patron
Looking like it's going to take Mythic Trick Religion to get Swift Dimensional Hop to set it up to push stuff thru the group. It doesn't always trigger maybe due to range issues with smol rider?

When Animal Growth and Legendary get here should work itself out I hope. DEX-based CMs are a pain.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Looking like it's going to take Mythic Trick Religion to get Swift Dimensional Hop to set it up to push stuff thru the group. It doesn't always trigger maybe due to range issues with smol rider?

When Animal Growth and Legendary get here should work itself out I hope. DEX-based CMs are a pain.

Ah yes, syncing the rider and mount charge attack reach is a bit of a pain. Kind of shocking this hasn't been properly fixed after so many patches...

Well, there's also Lunge, can try that.

Desiderius

Patron
Thug Assassin Greybor.jpg

Thug life Greybor ready for some Assassinatin'

(he has INT to Persuasion background)

Debuffing Rugdar.jpg

Here's another crit Frigid Touch. Pretty sure that reduced to 0 is the XBow so this is a Spellstrike. Rime for Entangle + Stagger is nice. Both are no save so he's gone all in on Spell Pen including Mythic.

Wolj EA 11 Snowball Touch vs Wurm.jpg

This one is Touch only (no Spellstrike) and Snomball (bypasses SR) so it gives you a lot of options if you're outclassed by AC or SR.

Wolj 11 EA Crit Scorching.jpg

Here the crit on 17 from Keen Xbow applies to all three Scorching Rays. Note that he's fighting Reduced for the extra +2 AB and it doesn't affect Ray dice.

Wolj EA 11 regular Ball for 123 vs Gathrius.jpg

123 Damage no crit needed. Forgot I had Intensified Meta too.

Haven't hit lvl 12 yet. Spelldancer can do this with Cones.

Last edited:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
well did not need to cheese playful darkness much, last stand is too good (can chain these with multiple characters) + few summons

just hit long enough till u roll nat 20 twice. 42str full dmg build + all the buffs + skald song + guarded hearth + ranger's bond + mark of justice was still not enough to hit without 20 probably missing something obvious

1705069772459.png

dispel glasses are pretty great but only managed to remove 3 buffs and still had 90 AC left, probably need to spam dispel more than once to remove some more AC

Desiderius

Patron

Ah yes, syncing the rider and mount charge attack reach is a bit of a pain. Kind of shocking this hasn't been properly fixed after so many patches...

Well, there's also Lunge, can try that.

Been trying to use the CMB Shield (will get Trident in Act 4 that debuffs CMD). Could of course probably just one shot everything with Spears and Mythic/Spirited Charge but that's whatever.

Desiderius

Patron
well did not need to cheese playful darkness much, last stand is too good (can chain these with multiple characters) + few summons

just hit long enough till u roll nat 20 twice. 42str full dmg build + all the buffs + skald song + guarded hearth + ranger's bond + mark of justice was still not enough to hit without 20 probably missing something obvious

View attachment 45503

dispel glasses are pretty great but only managed to remove 3 buffs and still had 90 AC left, probably need to spam dispel more than once to remove some more AC

You either have to build a dedicated Dispeller (with Spell Specialization and loading up on CL items) usually or use Mythic Dispel abilities to do better than that. Hard to get there if you fight him before Act4.

Are Eldritch Breach Mythc and Dispel Focus Feats in vanilla now? I'm only using TTT and Dark Codex so from one of those if not.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
View attachment 45499

Thug life Greybor ready for some Assassinatin'

View attachment 45504

Here's another crit Frigid Touch. Pretty sure that reduced to 0 is the XBow so this is a Spellstrike. Rime for Entangle + Stagger is nice. Both are no save so he's gone all in on Spell Pen including Mythic.

View attachment 45509

This one is Touch only (no Spellstrike) and Snomball (bypasses SR) so it gives you a lot of options if you're outclassed by AC or SR.

View attachment 45510

Here the crit on 17 from Keen Xbow applies to all three Scorching Rays. Note that he's fighting Reduced for the extra +2 AB and it doesn't affect Ray dice.

View attachment 45511

123 Damage no crit needed. Forgot I had Intensified Meta too.

Haven't hit lvl 12 yet. Spelldancer can do this with Cones.

Lovely Scorchin'

However as for Frigid, it still looks like a non-Spellstrike cast.
I guess 0 damage refers to 0 cold damage dealt from the spell.
Note the difference to other Spellstrikes, like the Scorching Rays - where you attack with Finnean.

Desiderius

Patron
Sos 11 Pick dice growing.jpg

Can see the value of Warpriest Sacred Weapon growing dice starting to show up here. Will be able to use Lead Blades scrolls along with Legendary Proportions to combo nicely with the Keen x4. Cheating a little here with Weapon Focus mod counting Picks as Axes.

Regular Warpriest could Vital Strike this with Bonus Combat Feats. I think. It gets the Fighter Feat qualification thingie like Magus.

Disenchanter here content to tank it up and Dispel. Will be interesting to see if Banishing can do anything in Act 5 with Abjuration Focus.

Desiderius

Patron
Dae 11 Mythic Channeling with Wolj killing Swarm.jpg

Daeran Mythic Channeling at lvl 11 doing some work. Ustlavic Armor is a nice one for Purifier.

Daeran 11 controlling caster with Sound Burst.jpg

Here he's interrupting some casters hiding over to the side with Sound Burst. Don't need a huge DC for that or for Archon's to cool down big dumb dorks trying to bash your head in. Evo Focus good value.

Horse isn't just about AC, it's about free pounce
Pounce, without requiring the often excruciatingly annoying or impossible task of lining up a charge. And it also gives you full attacks in situations where you only need to move 10 feet

1705069772459.png

This is where having every caster able to use the takes 20 ability in the same battle is so powerful

volklore

Arcane

View attachment 45503

You either have to build a dedicated Dispeller (with Spell Specialization and loading up on CL items) usually or use Mythic Dispel abilities to do better than that. Hard to get there if you fight him before Act4.

Are Eldritch Breach Mythc and Dispel Focus Feats in vanilla now? I'm only using TTT and Dark Codex so from one of those if not.
Think Dispel focus is still not in vanilla. But at the same time I think greater dispel also still attempts to dispell every buff once (as opposed to 4 in TTT).
Pretty sure fortune/bit of luck works for dispell checks so buff dispellers with those to get rerolls and you can dispell a lot of shit.

Desiderius

Patron
Think Dispel focus is still not in vanilla. But at the same time I think greater dispel also still attempts to dispell every buff once (as opposed to 4 in TTT).

Spellcurse is in game from Dark Codex I think... Let's see how far that can be meta'ed up.

This is where having every caster able to use the takes 20 ability in the same battle is so powerful

You pass it around? Ghey!

Desiderius

Patron
Pretty sure fortune/bit of luck works for dispell checks so buff dispellers with those to get rerolls and you can dispell a lot of shit.

Luck Domain second ability (Personal only) lasts for Cleric lvl/2 rounds and gets additional activations every lvl/4 like Holy Lance so Sosiel sets up well to be default Dispeller. The Boat has a +4 CL Cloak that helps.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I feel like Owlcats don't understand how to populate a world with elements of different sorts. So, it would make sense that when they choose to 'finally' come up with a puzzle after all that talking and fighting, talking and fighting, talking and fighting, they do it in a similar manner: overdone and probably frustratingly chaotic or jaw-droppingly complex.

That works well in combat, less so, but still kinda ok with the text, but it's a horrible approach to 'puzzles out of the blue'

Stuff from the renown, older blobbers or cRPGs like 5 pressure pads and finding out the combination, or some system of levers and a trap, using an adventure elements here and there, such as finding a helmet that goes on top of a statue unlocks a hidden passage, much less things like several courses through one map depending on completion of this or that feat or conversation—is mostly beyond their grasp or, worse yet, their aim :(

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane

https://i.ibb.co/sgVQRyx/playfulD.jpg

Aeon is pretty powerful for this fight

Desiderius

Patron
Aeon is pretty powerful from that point forward.

Like solve the game powerful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom