Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

ArchAngel

Arcane
Is it normal to suffer so much as a necromancer in crusader mode?? I get 5 units weekly reinforcement and sometimes after battle I get between 20 and 40 basic undead troops. I also got 15 vampires in an event but they aren't anything special so the whole time I had to rely on random mercenaries. A I doing something wrong here?
You will need to combine everything together as Necro. But in the end it does not really matter, your army leader mage will kill most with nuke spells.

Acrux

Arcane
So, what does "100AC" represent in Pathfinder? Surely it's not just some silly anime-tier powerlevel number that keeps going up with no real meaning... right?

You must be a big fan of 5E, since the concept of "bounded accuracy" is built on that very argument.

CodexTotalWar

Learned
Speaking of weirdly statted enemies - I really don't like how they've implemented a Skyrim-esque difficulty set-up where late level generic mooks will be individually way more powerful than the bosses you fight earlier (who, by lore, should be far more powerful).

The enemy difficulty don't directly scales to your level, but they do scale pretty linearly with the game, without care for narrative weight or immersion of any kind. I don't recall them doing this as much in Kingmaker.

The mooks you fight at the end of Act 5 will way higher stats than the Demon Lord bosses you fight earlier (Baphomet, Deskari, Areshkagal, etc.) The Gallu Stormcallers have 1500 hp (maybe double the demon lords?), and none of the Demon Lords have the 80-ish AC that the Vavakia Vanguard has

Shadenuat

Arcane
BG1 - a fighter in good armor is the most effective combat unit on the battlefield, although wizards can cc them, Rogues can help party in some other manner like using skills/items (and generally could be buffed, but please, please no ROGUE IS DPS CLASS

What are rogues supposed to do when everyone else gets access to the same skills, often better access?

PF is pretty good at making rogues not be a dead weight.
Same what skirmish units do in wargames. They are useful, but can't fight heavy infantry of heavy cavalry.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Holy shieeeeeet

I just got to Camellia Companion Quest and the game reacted to the fact that my character is a Follower of Urgathoa and actually digs to eat Human? Humanoid? flesh/meat , LET'S GOOOO/spoiler]

Last edited:

Salvo

Arcane
I probably shouldn't be carrying around 1500 lbs of chainmail and leather armor, but that's almost 1k gold!

...greed is truly a sin.

Tao

Savant
Does True Seeing fuck with shadows evocations/conjuring and the killer phantom spells line? I was going to go for the Ilusion school boost then i remembered that Demons usually have true sight and i have no clue if it's an automatic fail check

The more i want to roleplay my build the more my autistic brain annoying me about how mecanicaly retard/inefficient is what i want to do. And all i wanted to do is a cruoromancer dhampir necro/lich :S

Delterius

Arcane
Does True Seeing fuck with shadows evocations/conjuring and the killer phantom spells line?
No. True Sight affects pure tricks of the light. Shadow spells both physically exist, and are a direct mental effect akin to enchantment spells. IE they are mind affecting, not just illusions.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Does witch hexes DC’s increase with level?

Daeran's heartfelt expression of grief when one of the main NPC's kicks the bucket.

20210925004011-1.jpg
what a shame

Parabalus

Arcane
BG1 - a fighter in good armor is the most effective combat unit on the battlefield, although wizards can cc them, Rogues can help party in some other manner like using skills/items (and generally could be buffed, but please, please no ROGUE IS DPS CLASS

What are rogues supposed to do when everyone else gets access to the same skills, often better access?

PF is pretty good at making rogues not be a dead weight.
Same what skirmish units do in wargames. They are useful, but can't fight heavy infantry of heavy cavalry.

What does that even mean for RPGs?

If anything rogues should be good against immobile armored targets.

Shadenuat

Arcane
high speed, high stamina
stealth
perception, can see other stealth units, reveal fog of war
tracking (see how enemy units move on map)
ambushing (from terrain, when units pass near u). traditional barbarian tactics: drag them into place where you fight well, and kill them there.
extra damage on ambush, but low stats in a direct fight ("skirmish" bad when goes directly against "heavy" unit)
ability to move through difficult terrain (including swimming)
ability to retreat when attacked in melee (hence skirmish)
raiding (getting extra loot from places)
set traps?
attack stamina & morale. that's what skirmishers usually do: they throw all these rocks on you, they don't do much, but it drains your stamina & morale, and then their heavy allied unit wipes you out.

what does that mean for RPGs? to be realistic, world has to be more than a pretty backdrop for your dmg>their hp bar, as said. Rogues by concept are a contextual thing, they need context in game to operate to "make sense".

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
high speed, high stamina
stealth
perception, can see other stealth units, reveal fog of war
tracking (see how enemy units move on map)
ambushing (from terrain, when units pass near u). traditional barbarian tactics: drag them into place where you fight well, and kill them there.
extra damage on ambush, but low stats in a direct fight ("skirmish" bad when goes directly against "heavy" unit)
ability to move through difficult terrain (including swimming)
ability to retreat when attacked in melee (hence skirmish)
raiding (getting extra loot from places)
set traps?
attack stamina & morale. that's what skirmishers usually do: they throw all these rocks on you, they don't do much, but it drains your stamina & morale, and then their heavy allied unit wipes you out.

what does that mean for RPGs? to be realistic, world has to be more than a pretty backdrop for your dmg>their hp bar, as said. Rogues by concept are a contextual thing, they need context in game to operate to "make sense".

Their context in the game is high damage, low defenses. Works decently tbh.

All the other stuff either isn't in CRPGs or can also be done better by generic skills or spells.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Generic skills/spells do nothing for tactics and activate none of your brain cells during play. Flanking for rogues in PK is select > left click.

All the other stuff either isn't in CRPGs
Naturally; hence why RPGs are bad combat and bad tactics games.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
How do you make ember good? Her hexes are resisted de facto by the base wisdom stat of every monster now and I gave her ascended element and she still does barely any damage.
I did a 1 level dip into cross-blooded sorcerer, gave her gold and red dragon bloodlines for a +2 dmg per die to all fire spells, get her ascended element fire, get her mallanders insult belt which adds 2d6 unholy damage to every fire spell, get her pyromaniancs ring which gives 1d6+5 fire damage to every, get her second bloodline brass dragon to get a total of +3 dmg per die for all fire spells. She hits like an absolute truck.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Is it normal to suffer so much as a necromancer in crusader mode?? I get 5 units weekly reinforcement and sometimes after battle I get between 20 and 40 basic undead troops. I also got 15 vampires in an event but they aren't anything special so the whole time I had to rely on random mercenaries. A I doing something wrong here?
You will need to combine everything together as Necro. But in the end it does not really matter, your army leader mage will kill most with nuke spells.
Well fuck it then, I'm installing the auto win mod.

Shaki

Arbiter
please no ROGUE IS DPS CLASS.

Rogue is dps class and there is nothing you can do about it :smug:

Also fighter/mages are incline, scrawny cross-dressing nerd wizards should be eliminated from RPGs. This whole concept is a joke, that exist purely for escapism purposes, so nerds getting bullied by jocks could go home and cope by owning muscleheads in fantasy world with the power of their mind.

Even if you can cast spells, you should be competent enough to swing a weapon, and not get 1v1d in melee combat by any drunk retard you encounter. There is no excuse for being a weak pussy. In the army, even if you're a tech guy, you still get physical training. This is the way.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Btw when you use "hideous laughter" on enemy armies in crusader minigame, it seems that the AI slows down 100000 times. Every enermy army turn last like a minute.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom