Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't know, witch seems pretty much a gimped wiz/sorcerer, maybe it is bettere in the pnp.
The hex and unique abilities after the start of the game are not that useful (exept the bite attack).

Well, Sleep hex is solid and Owlcat buffed it greatly by removing Witch's lvl as HD restriction. No wonders here, it would be useless here in PnP version.
Protective luck is wonderful and does wonders to save high AC tanks from being critted on Unfair. No 24h cooldown like a normal luck so it could be spammed in each combat and extended with Cackle.
Evil Eye and Misfortune are cool if you can land some save or suck spell from another spellcaster and useful in general.
From the Major Hexes, Beast's Gift is good as I've mentioned - a free attacks for everyone.
Agony - close to Sleep but targets Fort.
And Grand Hexes are meh at the level where you'd get them.

As a package deal, I would rate them higher then Sneak Attacking cantrips from AT (as the main filler non-spellcasting action).

And Witch's spellbook is filled with some cool flavorful spells in PnP that will never translate properly into CRPG. And was truncated to the bare minimum in the Wrath(

And I am still conflicted over spontaneous vs prepared Witch. Spontaneous Witch-blaster can at least extend her repertoire with special Fire/Lightning themed items but pays for this with full-round casts for all Metamagic feats and this hurts.

Sleep hex and evil eye were great at the start of the game. I am in chapter 4 and on hard enemies get +4 to saving throws so I just stopped using them because even if you can spam them the chance they land are near to 0 and action economy dictates better usage.

Protective hexes are nices even late but nothing to chose a witch over a wizard/sorcerer IMHO.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Shit, are the lich companions supposed to suck this much?
Delamere is okay (hard to botch an archer build), but Stauton comes with an underwhelming class, bad stats, and bizarre feat choices. Neither gets mythic powers and can't even be respecced. Seems significantly worse than the living companions, before even taking into account how annoying they are to heal.
On hard they suck majorly, not even using them, maybe the slayer. On anything below core they are probably much more viable but not having mythic abilities isn’t worth it, undead immunities are nice but you already can get a vanguard for that.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Sleep hex and evil eye were great at the start of the game. I am in chapter 4 and on hard enemies get +4 to saving throws so I just stopped using them because even if you can spam them the chance they land are near to 0 and action economy dictates better usage.
I have also switched to Misfortune on auto-cast for Ember in the mid of Ch3 to cripple their offense and CMD rolls. Since it is not mind-affecting and still hits for 1 round even on the successful save.

Edit: Evil Eye for -4 AC is nice too, but there is cute little bug in RTwP where Witch/Shaman curses party members with it on auto-cast, from time to time(

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Delamere is okay (hard to botch an archer build), but Stauton comes with an underwhelming class, bad stats, and bizarre feat choices. Neither gets mythic powers and can't even be respecced. Seems significantly worse than the living companions, before even taking into account how annoying they are to heal.
On hard they suck majorly, not even using them, maybe the slayer. On anything below core they are probably much more viable but not having mythic abilities isn’t worth it, undead immunities are nice but you already can get a vanguard for that.
What are you all taking about. I got both and both have access to Mythic companion abilities...

What someone might miss from them is that they are both silent all the time. Basically like if you had a mercenary.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
As a package deal, I would rate them higher then Sneak Attacking cantrips from AT (as the main filler non-spellcasting action).

I don't even think arcane trickster witches have cantrips, witches dont (Ember has the cleric cantrips, so divine zap? which sucks).
What I had in mind is more about sneak attacks on spells, like hellfire ray.
(Should have built Nenio as arcane trickster too but I didn't :( )

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
A question regarding Perception 2 on tricksters, I thought it would automatically make you succeed perception checks. But it doesn't seem the case, so what are the "hidden things" you are supposed to notice with it?
LGBT and other hidden things in the Patchfinder, wrath of sexually decadent.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
What are you all taking about. I got both and both have access to Mythic companion abilities...

What someone might miss from them is that they are both silent all the time. Basically like if you had a mercenary.
They don’t have mythic path abilities for me, wtf

Turuko

Learned
I don't know, witch seems pretty much a gimped wiz/sorcerer, maybe it is bettere in the pnp.
The hex and unique abilities after the start of the game are not that useful (exept the bite attack).

Well, Sleep hex is solid and Owlcat buffed it greatly by removing Witch's lvl as HD restriction. No wonders here, it would be useless here in PnP version.
Protective luck is wonderful and does wonders to save high AC tanks from being critted on Unfair. No 24h cooldown like a normal luck so it could be spammed in each combat and extended with Cackle.
Evil Eye and Misfortune are cool if you can land some save or suck spell from another spellcaster and useful in general.
From the Major Hexes, Beast's Gift is good as I've mentioned - a free attacks for everyone.

And Witch's spellbook is filled with some cool flavorful spells in PnP that will never translate properly into CRPG. And was truncated to the bare minimum in the Wrath(

And I am still conflicted over spontaneous vs prepared Witch. Spontaneous Witch-blaster can at least extend her repertoire with special Fire/Lightning themed items but pays for this with full-round casts for all Metamagic feats and this hurts.

Protective hexes are nices even late but nothing to chose a witch over a wizard/sorcerer IMHO.
but evil eye it's not a "land or not", there's no SR check and enemies are either immune or not
the saving throws just reduce the duration and you have to sustain it with cackle
might be cumbersome for RTWP that i agree

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Well, initially I did want to make her one, but... when she joined my party, she urgently needed other feats and felt I can't delay her spellcasting progression so...
Octavia was prepared for that role much better.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

but evil eye it's not a "land or not", there's no SR check and enemies are either immune or not
the saving throws just reduce the duration and you have to sustain it with cackle

Uhm I may be wrong but even though there was no SR check, I remember saving throws checks popping up on the combat log and if it succeded (pretty much everytime) right clicking on the enemy showed no icon.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

Well, initially I did want to make her one, but... when she joined my party, she urgently needed other feats and felt I can't delay her spellcasting progression so...
Octavia was prepared for that role much better.

Yeah well Octavia was made for it, but I feel that with all the spell slots you get from mythics feats a bit of delay (1 level) on spell progression is not a big deal.

ArchAngel

Arcane

They don’t have mythic path abilities for me, wtf
Did you take them out to any mission?

Daidre

Arcane
BTW, whatever anyone has to say about this game - staging encounters where an enemy has artificially achieved stats like +13 Dexterity bonus to AC (because somebody decided to give a DEX of 36, just like that), and a weapon like a dagger which does 1d4+24 damage (but only in that character's hands), is akin to D:OS2 gimmick battles.

I think they've got something to switch STR>DEX for damage bonus and Piranha Strike.

Just like all those very insightful Owlbears from P:K who all took Iron Will + Improved Iron Will to cover for their weakest save.

Delterius

Arcane
Just like all those very insightful Owlbears from P:K who all took Iron Will + Improved Iron Will to cover for their weakest save.
What do you expect the enemies to do when on the other side there are degenerates like Thac0 and Haplo picking CRANE STYLE on their HORSES AND DINOSAURS?

How does a horse that uses CRANE STYLE even look like?
to be fair half of this shit is owlcat's fault. pathfinder: kingmaker? more like pathfinder: why the fuck are all those bonuses stacking?

ArchAngel

Arcane
What do you expect the enemies to do when on the other side there are degenerates like Thac0 and Haplo picking CRANE STYLE on their HORSES AND DINOSAURS?

Same like the Horse that has Skill Focus Trickery and it is picking the locks and disarming traps :D

Turuko

Learned

Uhm I may be wrong but even though there was no SR check, I remember saving throws checks popping up on the combat log and if it succeded (pretty much everytime) right clicking on the enemy showed no icon.
if they pass the saving throws, and most of them do, evil eye stays up for 1 round/6 sec and you can keep it active with your cackle (move action) every turn
try in TB mode it's pretty straighforward

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
....degenerates picking CRANE STYLE on their HORSES AND DINOSAURS?
And on the dogs...
Mk4gVBy.png

ArchAngel

Arcane

if they pass the saving throws, and most of them do, evil eye stays up for 1 round/6 sec and you can keep it active with your cackle (swift action) every turn
Cackle is move action.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

if they pass the saving throws, and most of them do, evil eye stays up for 1 round/6 sec and you can keep it active with your cackle (swift action) every turn

I will try, my understanding was save = no effect at all. There was actually an option that autopauses the game every spell used in Kingmaker, but sadly this included cantrip so it was really annoying and unusable, need to check if they changed it in WOTR.

EDIT: if cackle is a standard action then my old point stands; can't use evil eye from chapter 3 onward.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Meet Prinny:
N1OrJDE.png

His Kung Fu is great and he hasn't had his AC hit in the last 15 hours of play.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
I will try, my understanding was save = no effect at all. There was actually an option that autopauses the game every spell used in Kingmaker, but sadly this included cantrip so it was really annoying and unusable, need to check if they changed it in WOTR.

EDIT: if cackle is a standard action then my old point stands; can't use evil eye from chapter 3 onward.
Even with a successful save, the enemy gets the penalty for 1 round. You can cackle to immediately extend it, and cackle is a move action.

evil-eye.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom