Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Humbaba

Arcane
So I wanted to share an anecdote about my experience in the game about re-dedicating my character to good after going down what unfortunately could have resulted in an irredeemably-evil path. Bear with me; I realize this is a TL;DR.

The following statement is likely going to trigger you, so beware:

I decided to back out of being a lich.

That's right, I proceeded all the way through the Abyss to emerge back into Golarian only to realize I didn't want to be Nocticula's (and Areelu's) little boy-toy anymore. I decided to reject my lichdom completely and to re-forge myself into my character's original identity of being a truly lawful-good diplomatic scholar and master of wizardry.

The most interesting part (and don't bother attempting to sway me into changing my mind; this process was far too interesting and compelling) was how I did this and the relatively great lengths the game accommodates someone like me who decides to do exactly what I did.

To wit:

- After the appearance of Iomedae once I resurfaced in the fortress, her pleas with me to get me to come back to the light were convincing and I thought written quite well

- The back-and-forth between her and Nocticula, with Areelu's own viewpoint thrown in, while a little forced and silly at certain points was nevertheless rather riveting

- The ability to truly (re-)choose my Mythic path at that point seems quite remarkably flexible to me, more details below

- The multi-step process to cleanse your soul of all the "evil" choices you've made up to this point (in my case, choosing necromancy above all else and submitting to Zacharius' plans) -- while by no means all that difficult -- was totally unexpected and, again, impressive from a non-coders' standpoint on the complexity of this C&C-like sequence

Without going into too much further detail, by following a step-by-step sequence of mini quests, one has bit by bit of his previous (lich) powers stripped from him, Areelu appearing at every stage also pleading with you to stop and reconsider. My mind had been made up at that point, but she even at the final precipice of rejecting her "gift" to you offers several more gifts in the form of magical artifacts. I probably should have saved the game and accepted what she was offering to see what I was missing out on, but I think I prefer not to know.

What resulted was -- predictably -- much of my previous abilities now missing from my command bar, which was worrying from a personal power standpoint at first (especially the near-instantaneous undead summons). But what replaced it/them was almost unbelievable at least in my case: I chose the Legend mythic pathway to replace my "true" lichdom, which resulted in the following:

- All of my stats were instantly increased by four each

- Some of my lich powers such as added spell penetration, ability to heal undead, all of my Necromancy spells, etc. fully retained

- A massive acceleration of gaining levels

- Enough experience points to max out my generalist wizard class

- The ability to instantly level up in fifteen more levels in another class (since 20 is max level for any class, of course)

I actually thought it was a bug, because after the first three or four new leveling procedures I started to think it was going to be endless. But finally after going to 15 in my new class (I chose Hunter because it places little more burden on me to assign a bunch of new command bar skills and abilities, and gave a massive boost to my already-existing animal companion, the triceratops) I wound up with some ridiculous new stats. We're talking I have over 430hp now (!!), some skills are in the mid-50's, and I've got a shit-ton of sorcerer-like spells added to my spellbook. I'm basically a walking mortal god now.

So I think it was worth it. Would I have liked to have seen how the full, true lich path worked out? Yes. But I just couldn't stomach losing Seelah, I couldn't accept truly becoming evil, and I made up my mind to throw myself a curve ball.

For what it's worth, like this game or hate it, I can't recall any other computer roleplaying game offering this much insane flexibility -- and an in-game explanation and accompanying gameplay to match -- when it comes to not only choosing but even mid-game radically altering your character's class choices.

Interdasting.

Please take a moment to specifically tag me if you'd like me to reply to any replies regarding this post because I'm still avoiding this thread for the shithole it's probably become due to spoilers. Thanks.

Edit: Made correction to my hit points, above.
Ahhh another Legend chad. Best path narratively imo. Got the single best path theme as well. Surprised to see that it works even as a path of redemption, I went into Legend from Angel, because a LG character would definitely reject demonic adrenochrome. Don't worry too much about spoilers though, at this point there is barely anything left.

I would agree with your point about Iomedae, except when it comes to how she treated za Hando. Her not interfering with your successes, despite her knowing you're not her chosen makes perfect pragmatic sense, however not telling her herald about it really doesn't. There is no reason I can think of why she couldn't just have told him something along the lines of "Hey listen, I've never seen this guy before but he gets results, give him a "Hand" will ya huehuehue". Doing so could've prevented him from becoming disillusioned in the Abyss and getting snatched by the Echo. Although, it bears mentioning that you can convince him to stay with you if you're an Angel, but he still gets captured in Colyphyr. So while maybe Iomedea being transparent with him would've spared him an emotional crisis, it probably would not have prevented his capture. Still, that bit's writing is a bit iffy.

That's assuming that in Pathfinder gods can freely communicate and interact with their heralds and are aware of their whereabouts at all times. If that's not the case and the Hand acted entirely on his own, then he is high key the dumbest motherfucker in the game for just assuming you're his godesses' messiah while having the ability to confirm his suspicions at any time (remember, he can call to Iomedae whenever he wants, like when he did in Colyphyr). Then, it would be him who is shoddily written. Though I guess you could argue that the Hand is indeed a bit dim and unstable, considering his previous defection from Ragathiel and the implied weakness of faith he carries, meaning his utter stupidity and impulsivity is a part of his character and not due to inconsistent writing.

Iomedea's VA talks weird.

Humbaba

Arcane
You can do that with any path's spellbook, though if you're not a caster or hybrid your DC's and spell penetration will likely suck, limiting you to buffs and such.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Bolt of Justice would like to have a word with you.

... Although you have a point in most cases.

Delterius

Arcane

Humbaba

Arcane
your DC's
those suck anyway and being a caster has got nothing to do with it. un -merged mythic spellbooks use mythic rank as casting stat.
But don't merged spellbooks use your regular caster level? I wouldn't know, I haven't played a caster yet.
caster level has nothing to do with DCs. DCs are 10+spell level+casting stat bonus. caster level is for spell penetration.
Right, got that mixed up.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
TIL.

That both Othirubo and Jeslyn are not demons. The former is a tiefling, and the latter is a half-elf. Which means the whole Gray Garrison is solved by 2 scrolls of Cloudkill, and the whole Wardstone Legacy - by 2 Cloudkills and 1-2 Stinking Clouds.

Amazing.

And the hardest encounter of the chapter remains in Topaz Solutions with the Cambion Alchemist. Who is, indeed, a demon.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
True, but the combination of his nasty touch aoes and two brutal aggressive melees is quite a bit at this level.
Well, Slumber Hex sure was the lifesaver there... IF it sticked.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I used invisible mirror imaged reduced cat's graced Woljif with 2 daggers. And then the rest of the team dealt with the mimics.

But yes, when it works Slumber Hex is good.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
trickster because even if you go legend you keep (this far) the trickster crit feats.
Could someone ask razvedchiki why has he put me on ignore?

He's ignored 317 people, probably including pretty much everyone in this thread. I wouldn't worry about it. Probably more worthwhile to ask why he even logs in since he doesn't want to hear anyone but himself.

Barbarian

Arcane
So, I am finally getting around to play this. Which is the best "mythic path"? I mean best content and themes, not just powergaming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom