Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Reinhardt

Arcane
Of course we must care. Fighters are a second class citizens, casters must be better.

This, but unironically. As they level, Fighters get to swing their swords or axes or whatever faster and harder. As they level, Casters start from summoning butterflies and spitting mild sulfuric acid to conjuring City-shattering Elementals and causing a rain of fucking meteors to show up wherever and whenever they want it to.

Golly gee whiz, I wonder which of the two looks more interesting to the average player.

:philosoraptor:
Walking in the storm of steel watching demons exploding around you. And wearing pants.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
All of the perks with none of the drawbacks, because that's what the ultimate power fantasy i

There's so much to learn from the limits of your own characters. Take well known instances in LotR like Frodo, that ultimately fails but wins, because his mission was "to do what he could, to take the ring as far as he could". Or Legolas, an ancient, almost perfect soul that suddenly realizes his "mortality" hearing the call of a seagull. He'll never be like Glorfindel, he wasn't born in the eternal realm...

Sorry if I'm rambling again, but I've been doing pnp for so many years, faulty and limited characters are the best.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
There are definitely more bugs the further in you go - not really gamebreaking, but lots of little polish/QOL things (e.g. my pet dragon always gets stuck inside the citadel when I leave it, there was no path north out of the city to get to my Azata "Commander's Camp" for ages, so not knowing there was supposed to be one I spent ages wandering around the area fruitlessly looking for a way of getting to the camp, then the path north out of Drezen suddenly appeared just now - little things of that order).

Codex Year of the Donut
Well, you know, I understand that motive. If you're a pretty common, ordinary person (like all of us are on this website, minus a couple of schizos) and you're playing a make-believe fantasy game, it's only natural you want to play some special badass. And if you're too impatient to play an actual old-school type of "special" D&D character (e.g. a Wizard), you'll just go along with the simplest choice, i.e. the dimension-splitting, Chi-blasting mage-warrior Animu badass.

All of the perks with none of the drawbacks, because that's what the ultimate power fantasy is.
I disagree.
I think most people -- average people -- enjoy a story where the meek are successful against far greater powers than themselves through hard work and perseverance.

The primary hero of Lord of the Rings is not Steward Boromir -- surely one of the greatest warriors of Men, who manages to fell twenty orcs singlehandedly -- nor was it Aragorn, High King of both Arnor and Gondor. Neither was it Gandalf, an ancient Istari wizard.
It was Frodo and Samwise.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think most people -- average people -- enjoy a story where the meek are successful through hard work and perseverance.
This is not our culture.

In our culture weak suffer, go to GULAG and die. And rich and powerful thrive one way or another. Sometimes they have divine retribution if the author is kind.

That is why one of the most popular genres in the 90's-00's was subverting Tolkien. The Russian way, not the GRRM's way.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm in Chap 3, about to get into Chap 4......................

And I feel the urge to restart with a different build.

WHY? :negative:

Retarded question why not respec
I-It's not the same

(Please be patient I have autism)

I can understand that, I mean a respecced character with a completely different build in the middle of a game is like a stranger, you haven't lived with him/her through the adventures, you haven't gotten used to his funny little combat ways.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
So, I just encountered the Dragon in a random encounter in Act III

I win initiative, so I immediately cast Protection and Resist Fire communal + Swift Haste and some other buffs. The dragon uses a swift Displacement and breathes on my group for 0 damage, except the Drood, which fails and gets 23 HP.

The dragon immediately gets butthurt I wasn't damaged and immediately flies away :lol:. Dunno if it is scripted to always work like this at round two but the dialogue made it look like a reaction to what just happened. If so, nice touch!

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

I win initiative, so I immediately cast Protection and Resist Fire communal + Swift Haste and some other buffs. The dragon uses a swift Displacement and breathes on my group for 0 damage, except the Drood, which fails and gets 23 HP.

The dragon immediately gets butthurt I wasn't damaged and immediately flies away :lol:. Dunno if it is scripted to always work like this at round two but the dialogue made it look like a reaction to what just happened. If so, nice touch!
It’s scripted, sometimes you live 4 or 3 rounds and he’ll leave.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Gaah, the rp stuff around the Azata path is pure Tumblr faggotry. I really wanted that zippy magic but I didn't realize it would come with such a heavy price tag. I feel my character is soiled now :)

I wanted superpowers but switched to Aeon after visiting Azata's special location for the first time.

FriendlyMerchant

It works that way. You'll get the encounter a few times. It's the dragon for one of your quests.

Lambach

Arcane
I disagree.
I think most people -- average people -- enjoy a story where the meek are successful against far greater powers than themselves through hard work and perseverance.

The primary hero of Lord of the Rings is not Steward Boromir -- surely one of the greatest warriors of Men, who manages to fell twenty orcs singlehandedly -- nor was it Aragorn, High King of both Arnor and Gondor. Neither was it Gandalf, an ancient Istari wizard.

OK, but ask the average person if they want to be Frodo and/or Sam, as in, live their lives, or if they want to be a genetically superior ubermench like Aragorn, a Númenórean that at age 87 looked like a human at age ~30 and was in his physical prime, or if they want to be a nearly 3000-year-old Elf with Spiderman-tier levels of agility and vitality like Legolas etc.

That's the point of playing a Role-Playing game, you don't want to be just another average boring fuck like you are in real life (which Frodo and Sam are, except they're somewhat shorter and much braver than the average person), you want to be exceptional in some way that you are not.

That notion is what makes most of role-players tick, but the problem is that certain settings/rulesets take it way too far, to the point where you don't even need all that "hard work and perseverance" that you mentioned because you're just too Anime-tier to give two shits about any threats (unlike the LoTR example you mentioned).

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I disagree.

OK, but ask the average person if they want to be Frodo and/or Sam, as in, live their lives, or if they want to be a genetically superior ubermench like Aragorn, a Númenórean that at age 87 looked like a human at age ~30 and was in his physical prime, or if they want to be a nearly 3000-year-old Elf with Spiderman-tier levels of agility and vitality like Legolas etc.

That's the point of playing a Role-Playing game, you don't want to be just another average boring fuck like you are in real life (which Frodo and Sam are, except they're somewhat shorter and much braver than the average person), you want to be exceptional in some way that you are not.

That notion is what makes most of role-players tick, but the problem is that certain settings/rulesets take it way too far, to the point where you don't even need all that "hard work and perseverance" that you mentioned because you're just too Anime-tier to give two shits about any threats (unlike the LoTR example you mentioned).

I dunno, I think you're right that there's escapism in roleplaying for sure, but it's more like escapism to another, non-predictable world, where you can roleplay either something you are or something you are not. If a game has replayability, my first character tends to be like me, and then other characters tend to be more not like me, so I feel I'm exploring other aspects of the game that were locked off before, by exploring other ways of thinking (obvs playing an evil char is like that, as I am gud boi irl :) ).

Codex Year of the Donut
I disagree.

I'd say there's a difference between wanting to be and making a more interesting story.
I don't find roleplaying as what is effectively fantasy superman to be very interesting or fun.

Many of the games on the codex's top 101(top 10 of those especially so) are about individuals who aren't particularly special. The ones that are about people who are special are more about discovering that than utilizing it(e.g., PST, Morrowind)

Israfael

Arcane
Говно про попаданцев даже хуже ебучего исекая. "Культура", блядь.
He probably meant Perumov and his ilk. People who read that litterature should have no legal right to complain about writing in games or any other media

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
This goddamn tree gives 10k EXP???

Fucker killed me twice and gave me a disease which has a DC higher than what I can remove…

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Welp, finished Wintersun, glad I came here at level 11.

Onward to blackwater I go..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom