Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

cosmicray

Savant
Nothing wrong with a spin-off going its own way if main series remains. In a perfect world success from Persona would enable SMT to be less mainstream. Sadly, it probably won't.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The point is that all of pre-3 Personas have excellent tracks, much closer to core SMT.

Actually, they're much closer to core SMT in every other aspect and that should be the right direction or Persona 6.

Or you know, just make SMT 5 a good game instead of making a spin off series aping the mainline one.

Like it or not Persona success is due to how they depart from mainline SMT. Let it be what it is. If you just make Persona 6 a rebrand of old SMT it will be dead because you are essentially making your mainline series into a niche game.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

gPfJsNw

I find this kinda hilarious. I thought this kind of shit only happens in the 80s or something

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The point is that all of pre-3 Personas have excellent tracks, much closer to core SMT.

Actually, they're much closer to core SMT in every other aspect and that should be the right direction or Persona 6.

Or you know, just make SMT 5 a good game instead of making a spin off series aping the mainline one.

Like it or not Persona success is due to how they depart from mainline SMT. Let it be what it is. If you just make Persona 6 a rebrand of old SMT it will be dead because you are essentially making your mainline series into a niche game.

By now SMT is the series where Atlus tests wacky new gameplay ideas like skill affinities and smirk while Persona is the high production quality/low innovation product where only the absolutely non controversial new mechanics get built in and a lot more effort is spent on writing and content instead. I for one am perfectly fine with that split.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Are there any recent(5-10 years) SM(T) entries not on handhelds?

No, last console smt was Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne in 2003 on PS2. You can still buy that one on the PS3 PSstore, it has aged decently well. Its pretty hardcore tho, oneshot kills can happen before you get a turn and the game has quit to main menu deaths when your mc falls to 0hp.

Recent spinoff console game was obsiously Persona 5 on the PS4. Most of the other spinoffs before were strictly DS/3DS aswell.

deuxhero

Arcane
Technically the Maniax Chronicle Edition re-release of Nocturne released in 2008 is the last mainline release. Still, Nocturne has aged very well as the mechanics haven't really advanced leaps and bounds since it, just a few welcome additions that aren't needed and experimental features that fell flat on their face.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Technically the Maniax Chronicle Edition re-release of Nocturne released in 2008 is the last mainline release. Still, Nocturne has aged very well as the mechanics haven't really advanced leaps and bounds since it, just a few welcome additions that aren't needed and experimental features that fell flat on their face.

I am playing it atm, and I just reached DANTE FROM DEVIL MAY CRY. Shit is hilarious and Matador is a bitch. Highly recommended.

cosmicray

Savant
No, last console smt was Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne in 2003 on PS2. You can still buy that one on the PS3 PSstore, it has aged decently well.
Yeah, I've played it on PS2.

Its pretty hardcore tho, oneshot kills can happen before you get a turn and the game has quit to main menu deaths when your mc falls to 0hp.
Wow, that's progressive in this day and age.

Epitome of Wapanesse hatred against western world is SMT1.

American Ambassador (USA), who actually is Norse deity Thor in disguise (Europe) nukes sinful Tokyo by divine command (Christianity, Hiroshima, Nagasaki).

I hope that SMTV will finally bring proper Christian ending.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
And they are making fun of him on twitter. Nothing makes people more butthurt than a lost sheep finding his way back to Christ.

As it should be as this kind of enlightened Christian doesn't belong anywhere in the modern world.

Sorry man, I can't take this stuff seriously. It is no different than libtard level of rage against no representation in movies :lol:

I guess Hindi and Buddhist have to be butthurt at ATLUS for making their deities into Demon too :lol:

I hope that SMTV will finally bring proper Christian ending.

SMT Law endings are a proper Christian ending seen from sane people's point of view, so yeah the series should keep at it. As I said several pages back, to believe in something condemning more than half the world in eternal torture through hell is insanity only reserved to Abrahamic religions. To fully believe and remove your sense of self in service of a Greater Deity is something reserved to the brainwashed. To be so self-absorbed in your belief of righteousness is something only reserved for the insane, no matter the brand. It is Christianity in most of SMT. It is ultra-nihillist Buddhist in SMT 3. It takes a jab also at Buddhism/Hinduism on the genocidal neutral route of SMT IV Apocalypse.

But Christianity or Abrahamic Religion, in general, takes a special place for probably the most vindictive of modern religions. Probably no other modern religions vindicate unbelievers in their teaching more than Abrahamic Religions. No other religions are so full of themselves which is well reflected in how the Law factions usually act. No other God in modern religions is as wrathful and prideful than Abrahamic God.

Not to say that all modern Chrisitan/Jew/Moslem are vindictive arse templars, but those people are doing so in spite of the teachings, not because of it. Those are people that consciously choose to reflect the more benevolent aspect of the books, acting on their own will to do so. Which coincidently, something hardliners (Law factions) abhors.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Most Christians, I imagine, are well able to distinguish between fantasy, video games and reality.

Ah well, Protestants never did like fun.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
SMT Law endings are a proper Christian ending seen from sane people's point of view

Am I reading you wrong here or do you think genocide of undesirables for religious reasons is sane?
Or are you saying a sane person sees that SMT Law endings fit with abrahamic reachings without accepting them.

Chaos ending represents. I just hope they make no more games where the neutral route has the most content and objectively the best ending.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Most Christians, I imagine, are well able to distinguish between fantasy, video games and reality.

Ah well, Protestants never did like fun.

Yeah, I find Catholics to be more chill a lot of the time. At least where I came from.

Puukko

Arcane
We're getting sidetracked from P5 a bit, but the endings in most of these games are generally pretty extreme. SJ for one had comically extreme choices from what I understand before Redux introduced ones that didn't result in wanton massacre or mass scale brainwashing (of the lucky few who didn't get massacred). IV had neutral be the best ending from both a story and content perspective, but it was also harder to get than the others. Raidou 2 had possibly the tamest law/chaos endings since it boiled down to whether you supported a woman in fulfilling the role dictated for her (law) or helping her brother reach his dreams (chaos).

Trying to draw real life ethical comparisons to these is largely moot as the games take place in supernatural settings where humanity is in a dire state.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
We're getting sidetracked from P5 a bit, but the endings in most of these games are generally pretty extreme. SJ for one had comically extreme choices from what I understand before Redux introduced ones that didn't result in wanton massacre or mass scale brainwashing (of the lucky few who didn't get massacred). IV had neutral be the best ending from both a story and content perspective, but it was also harder to get than the others. Raidou 2 had possibly the tamest law/chaos endings since it boiled down to whether you supported a woman in fulfilling the role dictated for her (law) or helping her brother reach his dreams (chaos).

Trying to draw real life ethical comparisons to these is largely moot as the games take place in supernatural settings where humanity is in a dire state.

Particularily SMT IV and IVa s endings annoyed me the most. Do you want to have an actual hard moralic choice between two evils or do you want the cuddly route where everyone is happy and you get a superdungeon with one of the best bosses in the series as a cherry on top.
Yeah sure hard moralic choice, your alignment matters in this game. The boss was really good tho.
YHVH
took me a few days with his 60000 hp split over 6 forms or what. And the party swap mechanic was nice.

Puukko

Arcane
The last boss in IVA is the same regardless though the allies you have change depending on the choice you made. I took Toki on dark-neutral there which made the slog of a dungeon easier thanks to the instakills, but for the actual boss she was one of the worse picks.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
If you pick the law or the chaos ending the game ends after you kill
Merkabah and Lucifer
The entire shit with the demon egg and everything after is the neutral ending route of that game. But you are right, I forgot that Dagda gives you the choice to go on a Neutral-Dark route.

I used Isabeu mostly because Luster candy is really damn expensive and she sometimes uses it. Mahamaon with hama boost makes trash mobs not matter in the deep late anyway. Or sparkling light or however they called it in Apocalypse

Puukko

Arcane
Oh yeah, the stub endings. I actually forgot about those. At least the White ending in IV has some interesting story flavor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom