Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Personally, I think it's now safe to say Disco Elysium is better than Planescape: Torment.

Absinthe

Arcane
Yes, and the GOTY polls also get harshly criticized every year. Felipepepe's polls are canvassed outside the RPG Codex too (like twitter and reddit, iirc) and do not require accounts (so they're not even much of a Codex poll), they are extremely susceptible to repeat voting (just rotate through proxies and vote on that poll again and again and again!), he basically eyeballs which votes he throws out on dubious grounds, and he uses his own notion of bayesian averages to further distort the results. If I enter felipepepe's poll and give a couple of 1 star ratings and nothing else because I'm only familiar with a few games released this year that all sucked massively, felipepepe will throw out my vote as an obviously fake shitpost (fun fact: a lot of Disco Elysium votes were thrown out this way). But if I vote thorough ratings on every single game of the 100 odd list featuring a large number of esoteric jank games, as if I'd seriously played every last one of them, then felipepepe will regard my vote as totally legitimate and valid even though I'm obviously bullshitting. And that's without even getting into the issue of felipepepe's janky lack of standards regarding what is or is not a RPG. Frankly, DE should not have been in that poll at all, but felipepepe will whine about the difficulty of defining what a RPG is as if that's an acceptable excuse for him to shit up the list with whatever random crud he pleases, making it more of a general game poll that uses totally arbitrary standards to decide which games you should be allowed to vote as GOTY.

Codex GOTY polls are a joke and command no respect.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
I like how on page 2 the OP was outed as a troll from 4chan who only posted this to piss you off, yet you autists still keep going. Never change :salute:

Absinthe

Arcane
I like how on page 2 the OP was outed as a troll from 4chan who only posted this to piss you off, yet you autists still keep going. Never change :salute:
It was obvious bait from the start, but we do like dunking on Disco Elysium and why it's not a good game or RPG.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
What do you mean by verbal combat, I havent played either of those games so Im not sure how it was mastered successfully

I thought verbal combat was just where you use dialogue options to avoid combat. I prefer killing things and crushing my enemies instead of sweet talking them

u-https-tse1-mm-bing-net-th-id-OIP.jpg

BruceVC

Magister
How do you know the OP is troll? I first became active on these forums last year in September and some people accused me of being a troll, an alt-account and not being a real person. None of these points were true

I believe he is a new member and he has made an interesting post but the comparison is controversial, that doenst mean its not a legitimate post ?

I think there is general mistrust towards new members from some Codex members and Im not sure why?

Absinthe

Arcane
Bruce, are you fucking retarded? There's a link on page 2 pointing to a 4chan /lit/ thread where you see OP deciding to troll the Codex with a hot take. Here's the thread. Not to mention that comparing Disco Elysium to Planescape Torment is extremely fucking dubious, since it indicates you've played classic cRPGs and yet still have the shit taste of someone who's only played the new shit.

BruceVC

Magister
Bruce, are you fucking retarded? There's a link on page 2 pointing to a 4chan /lit/ thread where you see OP deciding to troll the Codex with a hot take. Here's the thread. Not to mention that comparing Disco Elysium to Planescape Torment is extremely fucking dubious, since it indicates you've played classic cRPGs and yet still have the shit taste of someone who's only played the new shit.
Okay I didnt know about that 4chan link, that definitely makes his post questionable

Well its still been a good debate

yeat_keef is there anything you want to add about the 4chan link? Because it seems you are a troll ?

Absinthe

Arcane
Okay I didnt know about that 4chan link, that definitely makes his post questionable

Arguing about what makes a RPG is a perennial Codex favorite, and Disco Elysium is a great entry point for digging into it.

yeat_keef is there anything you want to add about the 4chan link? Because it seems you are a troll ?
Hey, he's welcome to stick around. It's a solid thread, after all. But it wasn't a very good troll. Trolling requires more than hot takes or getting replies. You need to get people to act out. If all you do is generate reasonable discourse, you haven't really trolled anyone.

There is one thing why DE is better than PST: it is not RTwP.
Instead it's NwN (nothing with nothing)
Pretty much, yeah. Turn-Based, Real-Time, Real-Time with Pause... they're all ways of doing combat, and this game doesn't have any. It does have a weird passage of time system based on dialogues that's easily gamed with the thought cabinet system, except the skill system isn't truly important.

Last edited:

yeat_keef

Novice

I used the word bait because that's how making threads work on 4chan work. Long form, well thought out OPs get no attention whatsoever. You HAVE to apply at least a little bait to get attention there. Usually its nude girls, incendiary posts, playing dumb, or beating some FOTM controversy to death.

Anyone who posts there knows it true, which is why I'm shocked this thread has so many responses.

Absinthe

Arcane
Welcome to the RPG Codex. We're big on arguing about RPGs and game design around here.

Harthwain

Magister
Not to mention that comparing Disco Elysium to Planescape Torment is extremely fucking dubious, since it indicates you've played classic cRPGs and yet still have the shit taste of someone who's only played the new shit.
Is it though? Disco Elysium and Planescape: Torment are similar on enough levels for people to consider Disco a true spiritual successor to Planescape, even when taking all valid criticisms towards Disco into account.

Anyone who posts there knows it true, which is why I'm shocked this thread has so many responses.
Disco Elysium is very popular and very contested RPG around here. It'd be difficult to find more divisive subject for a debate.

Humbaba

Arcane
I used the word bait because that's how making threads work on 4chan work. Long form, well thought out OPs get no attention whatsoever. You HAVE to apply at least a little bait to get attention there. Usually its nude girls, incendiary posts, playing dumb, or beating some FOTM controversy to death.

Bruh this is a traditional ass forum, not an image board, whatever dumb shit you post here, at least someone will respond to it.

Codex Year of the Donut
Is it though? Disco Elysium and Planescape: Torment are similar on enough levels for people to consider Disco a true spiritual successor to Planescape, even when taking all valid criticisms towards Disco into account.
"this rock is similar to this telescope"
how?
"well, they're both hard. Some people consider them to be similar."

BruceVC

Magister

Have you played Planescape and what was the point of this post, are you just looking for attention?

Absinthe yes this has been a good debate on numerous issues so I dont consider my time being wasted. Real trolling that I have been pulled into in the past annoys me because its a waste of my time but this thread as you said was about interesting discourse

Humbaba

Arcane
The only similarities between DE and PST are the things DE very intentionally ripped off of PST.

Absinthe

Arcane
Not to mention that comparing Disco Elysium to Planescape Torment is extremely fucking dubious, since it indicates you've played classic cRPGs and yet still have the shit taste of someone who's only played the new shit.
That feels like the kind of shit take a videogame journalist would write where they obviously haven't played Planescape Torment. Kind of like comparing every remotely difficult game under the sun to Dark Souls. Do you have any examples of people actually arguing this shit?

Disco Elysium is very popular and very contested RPG around here. It'd be difficult to find more divisive subject for a debate.
Eh, DE threads aren't that divisive. The main point of contention is really defining what's an RPG, and that debate has been around since the start of the Codex.

yeat_keef

Novice

If that's the case, then whoever suggested I talk about DE did a good job. He should be the one getting credit since I've never heard of this forum until he posted about it. Honestly, I thought forums mostly died off like 10 years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom