Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Boy, that stream/video was a hard watch. Everything, except the music just feels underwhelming.

The geoscape look and feel really... bad. I'm guessing this is part of the new edgy dark Xbox redesign, instead of that real looking satellite picture of a fallen/corrupted Earth.

The combat still don't have any "umpf" to it. Can't believe how underwhelming it still looks, and you can tell they are really trying to make it look "cool" like nuXcom.

So few soldiers on missions, which will mean fewer deaths and a wipe will probably mean game over. You can see that this will be super hero soldiers a la nuXcom- classes, big HP pools and with that recruitment system...

Extremely boring enemy design. Crabs, crabs, crabs, big and small, and static towers that do different things.

Gamified willpower. Climb a tower and buff your soldiers.

Abysmal inventory system. UI is tiny and a mouse scrolling nightmare.

----------
Yeah, very much conspiracy. MS shows their face and everything goes to shit. CONSPIRACY! Console UI, monster redesign, dropping OpenGL because of DirectX. Now I'm just waiting for it to be a Windows 10 store exclusive. Is that the reason why the backer builds are not using Steam?

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer
Now I'm just waiting for it to be a Windows 10 store exclusive. Is that the reason why the backer builds are not using Steam?

We're not using Steam for the Backer Builds because we're not currently selling the game on the Steam Store. Valve only allows a maximum 1000 keys for Steam (for testing/review purposes) if you're not selling through their storefront.

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer
Then start selling through their storefront - problem solved.

There is no problem to solve.

Backer Build 3 will be using the Xsolla launcher. We will start selling via Steam when the time is right. The game isn't finished for another 6+ months, so we're in no great rush to be on Steam. It hasn't been decided if there will be a Steam Early Access, but if there was we would want the game to be in a more complete state than it is at the moment.

Mustawd

The geoscape look and feel really... bad. I'm guessing this is part of the new edgy dark Xbox redesign, instead of that real looking satellite picture of a fallen/corrupted Earth.

I personally kinda like it, but I much prefer the fig campaign look.

The combat still don't have any "umpf" to it. Can't believe how underwhelming it still looks, and you can tell they are really trying to make it look "cool" like nuXcom.

The combat feels fine imo. Those face grabbing alien things are terrifying. Reminds me of Chrysallids. My biggest conplaint is the faction guns. Those guns shoot and feel like they have ni impact. I think the sound direction needs some revisiting with some of those weapons.

Also, UnstableVoltage can you confirm there will be options to turn the cinematic view on or off? Cinematics are cool for a first playthrough, but get old after a while. On a similar vein, lack of a pod system is refreshing.

The biggest disappointment was the city. Just looked very generic imo.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
can you confirm there will be options to turn the cinematic view on or off?
You will be able to skip them with a key press or you will have the option to disable them by default the settings.
I like cinematics but since this is effectively a UI element and has no gameplay impact I am all for this option.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The stream disappointed me so much (much more than I already was) that I decided to play BB3 personally before making a judgment, as I simply can't believe what heartless trainwreck this game is becoming and maybe is just a matter of wrong perception from the video.

HansDampf

Arcane
If I recall correctly, the hit location in x-com was based on the grid and had a large varience, causing some very unexpected friendly fire.
:hmmm:
SRn7KQA.png

Where does this crude 3D representation of the battlescape come from that OpenXcom spits out? That purple block in the distance is supposed to be a sectoid.

To paraphrase former glorious Xbox overmind Don Mattrick,

"We already have a product for people who can't stand the distortion of a potentially great game due to apathy and greed. It's called OpenXcom."

You people just need to stop complaining. You're not the target audience. Like all the people who attended Blizzcon aren't the target audience for a Mobile Diablo game. Stop being so entitled!

GrainWetski

Arcane
I agree wholeheartedly. We already got a game 24 years ago, no need for another.

The Xbox audience however can't play a game more than 2 weeks old, so they NEED this game! Don't be elitist and try to keep this game away from them. Gaming is for everyone and everything belongs on the consoles and their cuntpads.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
thesheeep do you know if Wasteland 3 devs had promised Linux version?
Yes, they did.
And that is not cancelled, yet.

Of course, with InXile now being acquired by M$, I somewhat expect them to cancel linux support as well with bollocks reasoning. Though they did say they will fulfill their commitments for WL3 (for example, it won't be exclusive to that laughable Windows Store).

ArchAngel

Arcane
thesheeep do you know if Wasteland 3 devs had promised Linux version?
Yes, they did.
And that is not cancelled, yet.

Of course, with InXile now being acquired by M$, I somewhat expect them to cancel linux support as well with bollocks reasoning. Though they did say they will fulfill their commitments for WL3 (for example, it won't be exclusive to that laughable Windows Store).
I doubt M$ cares about Windows Store much anymore. Their Game Pass thing for Xbox is now what they want to make work. IF it does, they could bring it to PC as well.

Last edited:

SymbolicFrank

Magister
So, UnstableVoltage didn't answer my question. Well, what a surprise. Ok, let's recap:

* You use small teams, there are much more aliens on a map. So, weapons don't kill, they reduce some hitpoints when you score a hit. Alien damage is pathetic.
- In UFO, you have large teams, which you need, because weapons are deadly and aliens kill you from across the map.

* Soldiers aren't expendable, you have a team of heroes like in JA2.
- Except that all the heavy weapons and most of the tactical options are removed.
- If you have a team wipe, you will have to reload. Even if one or two of your best soldiers are killed during a mission, defeat might be looming. There go most of the strategic options out of the window.
- Sending in a rookie with a stun rod and primed grenade won't be possible. And even if it was, it would be suicide. ;)

Yet another UFO clone that tries to be JA2 (and fails horribly). Pass. And it also wants to be a NuXCOM clone that plays like complex chess. Pass.

An indie developer who loves UFO could have done this much better.

Yes, I agree that wanting to sell big on consoles is half the problem. But Julian certainly seems to behave like a con artist. He isn't even trying to make a UFO sequel. Just to get as much money in his pocket before everything comes crashing down.

xmd1997

Educated
The stream disappointed me so much (much more than I already was) that I decided to play BB3 personally before making a judgment, as I simply can't believe what heartless trainwreck this game is becoming and maybe is just a matter of wrong perception from the video.
What exactly where you...expecting? Based on their Trello Board roadmap, they pretty much delivered everything they said was coming into this build except for the PP Models, Living weapons equipment, and the Chiron Alien type.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
What exactly where you...expecting? Based on their Trello Board roadmap, they pretty much delivered everything they said was coming into this build except for the PP Models, Living weapons equipment, and the Chiron Alien type.
I answer you with a quote from a fellow Codexer:

Boy, that stream/video was a hard watch. Everything, except the music just feels underwhelming.

So few soldiers on missions, which will mean fewer deaths and a wipe will probably mean game over. You can see that this will be super hero soldiers a la nuXcom- classes, big HP pools and with that recruitment system...

Extremely boring enemy design. Crabs, crabs, crabs, big and small, and static towers that do different things.

Gamified willpower. Climb a tower and buff your soldiers.

Abysmal inventory system. UI is tiny and a mouse scrolling nightmare.

And I'd like to emphasize the term 'boring'. Everything is so dull and uninspired.

I think the biggest thing that hits me hard is this;
Peter Molyneux, Tim Schafer, Richard Garriott, freaking Chris Roberts, many others I forget.
Every single video game 'superstar' has been a colossal disappointment. Peter made a total disaster with Godus, promising a Black and White successor and delivering an unfinished mobile phone clicker pile of garbage, embarrassed himself and everyone associated with him. Schafer rode the hype of his popularity to shit out mediocre-to-downright-bad games and push his Fig platform and release a bunch of remasters which are arguably worse than the original. Garriott, well, just look at Shroud of the Avatar, you have him running donate-o-thons for his unfinished pay to win garbage pseudo mmo game where you can watch a stream of him and other developers get fucking sloshed on booze, then have him take his blood, put it in a vial, and literally sell it to the highest bidder. Literally selling his own fucking blood. Star Citizen.....

And now you have Gollop. He isn't even all that freaking famous. Ask most people who's responsible for UFO Defense, they'd have no idea. The only other 'popular' game in the last decade under his belt is Chaos Reborn which, last I checked a few years ago, was a complete RNG based mess. Dice in your favour? Summon an instant win dragon on turn 2.
So you have a bright hope, especially with that awesome crowdfunding pitch that damn, finally, someone who gets it, who can do it right.
Nope, slowly watching Phoenix Point devolve into, at best, mediocrity. And it's really fucking sad.
No more Linux support broken promise, as well as bullshit excuse, is just another stepping stone in the road downhill that, as far as I can see, started with the Microsoft partnership. Maybe Gollop really did want to make that very game in the pitch video, maybe not, doesn't matter anymore. He can sit alongside all the other disappointments mentioned above.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

I am positively surprised with the strategy layer and inventory management so far. I was expecting less. Nice nice stuff

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
The build looks great, they improved it graphically quite much. Geoscape looks decent, UI is nice and readable. I was afraid they strayed too much, but nope, they are still on the right path!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom