Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Infinitron, Mar 18, 2016.

1. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    I listened to him a bit more, after comparing it with nuXcom he is so butthurt he says shit like nobody that likes Xcom should play this game. Later his heavy misses a shot from far away and he laughs like a madman and shits on the class and game like it is game's fault he is a retard.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • decline decline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Don't be a retard. Is it as good as UFO 1994 and TFTD? No.
    Is it better than nuXcoms and many Xcom clones that happened between Xcom Apocalypse and nuXcoms? Yes.
    Is it better than nuXcoms? Yes.

If PP is Fallout 76 than what are nuXcoms? Because in Fallout world you cannot get a worse game than Fallout 76. Your statement is ridiculous. And no I don't want to read your BB5 comments, they are not valid anymore. BB5 biggest problems was that classes were OP as fuck and game was way too easy. Both of those are no longer valid.

And if you really think that better production quality of nuXcom games makes them a better game than PP that does all mechanics better then you are a true retard and should stop embarrassing yourself.

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  3. Van-d-all Arbiter

Van-d-all
    So essentially PeePee is exactly as predicted, plus even goes beyond that, mimicking features from nuXcom, which in itself is a kissing cousin of Gollop's original ideas. Whew, what a sitcom.

FFS, can we stop taking that low bar as a quality measure?

^ Top  
  4. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Thanks to XCOM and XCOM2, I totally stopped giving a shit about X-COM games.

Or is this actually gud?

• Yes Yes x 1
    • No No x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. PanteraNera Cipher

PanteraNera
    To clarify I only posted this with the source (video) because I thought the same.

Also here is his conclusion:

^ Top  
  6. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Oh I agree that OG Xcom is better game overall but I cannot play that game my whole life. PP is good enough, it is only a disappointment if you expected it to be better than OG X-com.. but that is your own fault for not tempering your expectations.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Mazisky Erudite

Mazisky
    Nuxcom is the high quality standard for the genre now. The fact that a bunch of you (which is the 0,003% of the playerbase) think it's bad, it doesn't mean it is. Deal with it.

• Up Yours x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • decline x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    Considering that only 0.003 percent of the playerbase finishes a single firaxis game tells you all you need to know about such high quality.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    You would be amazed if you saw the same statistic for the old X-COMs. 0.003 percent would be high most probably

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Van-d-all Arbiter

Van-d-all
    Quality is not a popularity contest. Old XComs were not niche games, as opposed to pure strategy games of the time, and struck gold between complexity and popularity. The simplification of nuXcoms was a marketing strategy, and while definitely successful in terms of sales, the only aspect of it I care about, is how disastrous it was on the game mechanics.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    I didn't talk about popularity. I do believe though that very few people from the ones that played it, actually finished a UFO: Enemy Uknown game, for example

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Mazisky Erudite

Mazisky
    Quality is not the opinion of 4 random butthurts in a forum either.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Yeah,he is like one of the souls fan,a casualtard that never really played any games and then played soul/nuxcom and decided that it is the best game in the world and ended up inventing a whole "genre" from it because he is dumb and ignorant casualtard.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Shog-goth Learned Patron

Shog-goth
    The problem with Phoenix Point it's not in a single mechanics or features, but in the general approximation of the whole thing: incomplete or missing fundamental features like mutations, unbalanced mechanics, repetitive assets in map generation, atrocious UI, bug and glitches galore and many others. This is not a complete game, nor a beta: it's still a pre-alpha sold as "1.0", if you can't see it I can't help you.

I personally don't like NuXcoms but this don't prevent me from recognizing that Phoenix Point have very low production value: the base management screen, for example, would have been embarassing even on an Amiga 500 unexpanded.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    I doubt it was that low. First it was made for old school gamers that were not afraid of hard games. Secondly UFO had a bug where difficulty would drop to Easy no matter which one you started with :D

^ Top  
  16. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    In the end I don't care what anyone things as long as Gollop can release those 5 DLCs and patch the game some more. Even if he does not earn enough money and his company goes bust I will still have a fun game to replay over and over through the years.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Shog-goth Learned Patron

Shog-goth
    Indeed, this is probably the most rational approach and I recognize it. Sadly this attitude is also what, like the proverbial boiling frog, took us, little by little, from OG X-Com to this travesty.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. PanteraNera Cipher

PanteraNera
    Heh but they actually just delivered what I expected, a half finished game that is pretty much a Beta.

As you can tell I am mostly inactive in this thread, cause I knew that it makes no sense to post news in here if they are not going to make it in the game. And just that happened. Also I lost interest in the game ( I probably have access to the press build but I haven't bother to install Epic to check it out).

Does the game still has potential? Sure. But it has potential since the beginning and I think that a year is not enough to bring it to it's full potential (if you go by the changes between the Backer Builds). Also I believe that with their choice of combining XCOM with X-COM they alienated both crowds to much.

Time will tell, they probably release an extended version/directors cut but by than probably no one cares because of the bad first impression.

Remember they delayed the game twice, got all the epic and Microsoft money and still weren't able to finish it.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  19. Mazisky Erudite

Mazisky
    I wonder if anyone is able to make a carbon copy of ufo defense with better graphics, it shouldn't be that hard.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    I don't agree with you. From watching it on twitch since release the game has as much content as nuXcom 1 had at release but it does not have fancy ingame animations and lots of VO. But it has much more :incline: combat mechanics.
    From day 1 this is what I was expecting. A game that looks like Xcom 2 on the outside but has mechanics much more like OG X-com. And this is what we got. I am installing the game today and I am going to try it myself, I hope I don't run into crash bugs :D
    Legendary difficulty of course with self enforced Ironman so if I run into game stopping bugs I can still save my campaign.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Xenonauts tried and failed. Maybe Xeno 2 succeeds.

^ Top  
  22. Van-d-all Arbiter

Van-d-all
    For all it is (and I consider it to be the best Ufo clone to date), Xenonauts still simplified the game by removing PSI skills for instance. Secondly while Ufo graphics in 1994 were top notch, Xenonauts graphics were way too retro for the general audience automatically pushing them into the niche limbo. Next on, bugs, nasty ones at that, like crashing after missions, eventually mostly fixed, but games rarely get to make a first impression twice (cough, NMS, cough). Add being a kickstarter project with no famous names & marketing on top of that, and you get exactly what it became. A great niche game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Xeon Augur

Xeon
    Huh, ammo persist or whatever even after missions, I didn't know that. Was playing then I ran out of ammo for my assault so she just kept running around scouting. I thought it will reload between missions.

Game seems decent so far, kinda hope there will be psy abilities or whatever later similar to XCOM since there is Will stat. Also wonder if game will have similar mods like Long Wars as well.

Edit:
    Does anyone know if my weapons get damaged, do I lose my weapons permanently and have to manufacture a new one? I have been grenaded and my weapon was disabled but so far I was lucky and nothing serious happened.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    There are psi abilities for both you and enemies. YOu just need to get a Priest to join you first. Then you can dual class any of your guys into Priest class as well.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    I appreciate what Gollop did. I do not want to experience what Gollop did.
    It is not something new, it is a blatant ripoff of nuXcom2. Avatar meter, base, personnel. Invetory is more detail, but you don't need to mess with it. Guты need ammo but removing ammo was the best thing nuXcom did right as wasting 1 action point for reload was more costly than wasting some TU for reload. Realistic ballistics is good on paper, in practice you just do the ame thing.
    It is slow, thanks Unity, by the time one mission loads nuXcom2 can load 2 or 3. I just can't force myself to play itas missions re the same as nuXcom but more boring.

• Bad Spelling x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.