Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been playing it a bit again with all DLCs I have missed out on activated, and man, even on normal the game feels very stressful. It progress way too fast. Soon you will be fighting these mega creatures that take an awful long time to kill... on almost every mission. While epic at times, but it's just so often. And there is so many negative debuffs all over the place, on the tactical level, and on the geoscape. Kinda curious how you are supposed to keep up with it all without feeling totally overwhelmed, with permitted losses and without meta-playing the whole thing. Like now I can't seem to find a replacement for a dead sniper. I just want to complete my squad dammit, but I can't since I have no snipers on the map for recruitment or through Phoenix Point channels making me waste a lot of time. Then again there isn't much more to explore because the mist is covering most of the world and the big flying thing is eating everything up.

I really wish the other factions would actually do something. They still just sit around passively and die, for some reason counting on Phoenix Point to do everything. Immersion breaking to say the least. They got thousands of soldiers and followers, but a scrappy organization that can barely get 15 men together is supposed to save the world single-handedly. I have nothing against a challenge, but it's just stressful and messy, especially with all these DLC notification/missions popping up, and other pop ups explaining things constantly, corruption levels to keep check on, flying Behemoth to keep tabs on, like baby-sitting faction bases wasn't enough already.

Oh well, will continue a bit more just to play it out. Doubt I will ever be able to finish it :)

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Kinda curious how you are supposed to keep up with it all without feeling totally overwhelmed
This is caused by all the DLC. In my last playthrough, it just felt like everything kept snowballing and it was almost impossible to manage. I guess it was intended on some level, but it was just way too much happening at once.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kinda curious how you are supposed to keep up with it all without feeling totally overwhelmed
This is caused by all the DLC. In my last playthrough, it just felt like everything kept snowballing and it was almost impossible to manage. I guess it was intended on some level, but it was just way too much happening at once.

Yeah. It's funny, I get the impression that before the activation of Phoenix Point the world (while not doing great) was pretty stagnant and humanity had a serious chance of recovery, but as soon as someone pressed the go
button.png
for the PP project the whole world just went nuts. Weird factions starting to mess around, ancient robots gaining sentience, awaken godzilla tier flying behemoth with only destruction on its mind, mutant lab escape and so on :D

All that within the first few days.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Been playing it a bit again with all DLCs I have missed out on activated, and man, even on normal the game feels very stressful. It progress way too fast. Soon you will be fighting these mega creatures that take an awful long time to kill... on almost every mission. While epic at times, but it's just so often. And there is so many negative debuffs all over the place, on the tactical level, and on the geoscape. Kinda curious how you are supposed to keep up with it all without feeling totally overwhelmed, with permitted losses and without meta-playing the whole thing. Like now I can't seem to find a replacement for a dead sniper. I just want to complete my squad dammit, but I can't since I have no snipers on the map for recruitment or through Phoenix Point channels making me waste a lot of time. Then again there isn't much more to explore because the mist is covering most of the world and the big flying thing is eating everything up.

I really wish the other factions would actually do something. They still just sit around passively and die, for some reason counting on Phoenix Point to do everything. Immersion breaking to say the least. They got thousands of soldiers and followers, but a scrappy organization that can barely get 15 men together is supposed to save the world single-handedly. I have nothing against a challenge, but it's just stressful and messy, especially with all these DLC notification/missions popping up, and other pop ups explaining things constantly, corruption levels to keep check on, flying Behemoth to keep tabs on, like baby-sitting faction bases wasn't enough already.

Oh well, will continue a bit more just to play it out. Doubt I will ever be able to finish it :)
Yea the gameplay can get crazy and while it seems like you are only one doing something each of the factions has endgame tech that is needed to win the game. You can also win without any faction but that path is both most difficult and ending is worst storywise.

Also you have to consider 3 factions are civilization building ones, PP are scientists/soldiers with a singular goal and access to tech not available to others.

lightbane

Arcane
Sounds like the DLCs are messing up the gameplay more than intended, as it tends to happen.

Soo... Is it fully complete by now?

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Sounds like the DLCs are messing up the gameplay more than intended, as it tends to happen.
just like nuXcum

devs themselves should have the best sense about implementing dlc in a manner that gels with what was released as the base game, but it's like devs don't play their own games

Codex Year of the Donut
Isn't that the crazy complicated game we were all hoping for?
doyouevenlift.png
No, the problem is that the DLC keeps triggering so soon after each other and in the early game. It seemed to me like they wanted people to get to the DLC ASAP, which is not a good format for these types of games.

Also, festering skies just sucks. Disable it.

lightbane

Arcane
just like nuXcum

devs themselves should have the best sense about implementing dlc in a manner that gels with what was released as the base game, but it's like devs don't play their own games

Which nu-XCOM? First one's DLCs were okay, they made you OP, but the core gameplay was more or less the same, with enemies gaining new tricks to compensate.
Second one's DLCs got comlpetely crazy, with 3 uber-bosses that would fit better in a comicbook setting, but you get so many hilariously powerful new units and options it doesn't matter. For not to mention XCOM2 works better with mods.
In PP, it looks like they're using the Paradox style of DLCs, which is to push out as many as possible, regardless of how well they mesh together.

Speaking of: How's the modding scene/base for PP?

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
doyouevenlift.png
Complicated complex. This latter aspect is what many are looking for in a game of this genre, which would have aspired to be the spiritual sequel to X-COM. In this case, however, we had a good dose of the first: convoluted, cumbersome, without any internal logic and, worst of all, damn boring, shallow and banal.

Trithne

Erudite
Which nu-XCOM? First one's DLCs were okay, they made you OP, but the core gameplay was more or less the same, with enemies gaining new tricks to compensate.
Second one's DLCs got comlpetely crazy, with 3 uber-bosses that would fit better in a comicbook setting, but you get so many hilariously powerful new units and options it doesn't matter. For not to mention XCOM2 works better with mods.

NuXcom is a comic book setting though.

lightbane

Arcane

NuXcom is a comic book setting though.

Well, sure, but somewhat low-key, especially the OG game. The OP units from both games' DLCs bring that up to straight superhero territory.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
doyouevenlift.png

I don't mind the complexity. What I mind is the insane amount of housekeeping for marginal effects the game makes you do. It boggles the mind why they made 50 DLCs for a game that expanded with tons of new, marginal systems with unfinished and broken design instead of making the ones already in the game feel more impactful and fun to interact with.

So the problem isn't that it's complex or that there's a lot of systems: the problem is that they are just not fun to interact with IMHO.

I really enjoyed the core gameplay of PP, but I ended up dropping it solely because of all the marginal systems that weren't fun and constantly demanded your attention from all the fun stuff.

It's really sad. I was incredibly skeptical about what the bullet model of the game would add, but it's basically the most incredibly fun system I think I've ever interacted with in a turn-based game. Every single tactical squad-game should copy Phoenix Point's bullet mechanics. It's nearly perfect.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
It's really sad. I was incredibly skeptical about what the bullet model of the game would add, but it's basically the most incredibly fun system I think I've ever interacted with in a turn-based game. Every single tactical squad-game should copy Phoenix Point's bullet mechanics. It's nearly perfect.

Check out Urban Strife and Project Haven if you haven't, coming this year I believe. Haven is basically the same, Urban is more like Silent Storm I would guess, but still use true line of sight etc.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

ArchAngel

Arcane
doyouevenlift.png
No, the problem is that the DLC keeps triggering so soon after each other and in the early game. It seemed to me like they wanted people to get to the DLC ASAP, which is not a good format for these types of games.

Also, festering skies just sucks. Disable it.
I keep that DLC on for additional challenge since game on Legendary is too easy for me. But for average players, it does not add much except irritation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom