Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Parabalus

Arcane
We’re excited to announce our newest DLC, Corrupted Horizons is now available for download! GOG release is delayed and should be available as of October 8th. We apologize for the inconvenience there.

NEW DLC: “Corrupted Horizons”
A new deadly strain of the Pandoravirus appears that saps the will from every being it touches! This is a deadly threat to Phoenix, but can they make use of it against the Pandorans, as well? Encounter fearsome enemies and build a special type of soldier as you fight across a new storyline with unique research, missions, and cinematics.

Corrupted Horizons Includes:
NEW Story Missions and Cinematics, with New Research and Equipment
NEW Enemy and Game Mechanic “Corruption”
NEW Soldier Type

Alongside Corrupted Horizons, our newest Phoenix Point free content update, “Hypnos,” is now available as well, which includes new Quality-of-Life features, changes to diplomacy and research, and other upgrades as outlined below. We also are making available a new cosmetic skin, the Headhunter Heavy! Everyone can unlock this armor with the promotional code: ABSOLUTEPOWER

1.13 Hypnos
Full patch notes below:

Geoscape
  • Revealed Havens within the sphere of influence of a Pandoran Base will now give diplomatic bonuses or penalties, based on how long the Pandoran Base has been active after being revealed.
  • Attacking a Faction will now increase the Alert level of that Faction towards Phoenix. At High Alert, Phoenix Point can no longer attack that Faction and will have to wait a cooldown time for Alert level to go down. After an attack, the Threat level of missions against that Faction also increases by 1 level for a period of time.
  • Rebalanced diplomatic penalties - players will receive higher diplomatic penalties when attacking Factions in which they have better relationships.
  • Shared faction research rewards with Phoenix are now spread at different levels instead of being awarded at 50 diplomatic points. The shared research will be at 50% progress and will have to be completed by the player.
  • The research reward for completing a Steal Research mission is now shown on the Haven info panel. Players need to visit a Haven to find out what the reward will be.
  • After a successful Haven Defense, surviving soldiers from the defending Faction may decide to join Phoenix if they have a positive relationship. The higher the difficulty setting, the lower the chance that a soldier might join.
  • (DLC2) Each Archaeology Lab will provide 1 resource of passive income each day for every resource gathering site in control of that type.
Tactical
  • Players will have to use the new Hack ability in order to complete the Steal Research mission objectives, which makes a soldier busy for 2 turns (unable to take action) until the Hack is complete.
  • Disabling an eye of the Yuggothian entity will remove a Mark of the Void from a random soldier. A hint to support the mechanic will appear if hints are enabled.
Quality-of-Life improvements
  • Added Cinematics library on the main menu to rewatch cinematics available during the game. Players will need to unlock these cinematics after this update for them to appear.
  • Improvements to HUD UI when certain Tutorial hints are showing
  • Revised the UI design in Recruits tab
  • Better trigger conditions for the Jet Jump tutorial step in the 2nd tutorial mission
  • Main objectives on Geoscape that lead to campaign completion now have a unique icon
  • Several hints added to Geoscape to better explain the Augmentation (DLC1) and Mutation mechanics
  • New pause/unpause settings in game options for Aircraft movement
Bug fixes
  • Fixed a gameplay issue where Action Points would not count correctly after a unit stops its movement animation after spotting an enemy on the map.
  • Fixed a rare issue where a living spider drone could cause the game to hang if it tries to move right when a mission is completed.
  • Fixed an issue where a mind controlled soldier by the Pandorans can see and shoot hidden player infiltrator soldiers
  • Fixed several issues where Geoscape events could appear in the wrong order after player input
  • Fixed the description of the Breathe Mist ability for the Synedrion armor
  • (DLC2) Fixed a game stuck when a Hoplite would try to use a shield after its head is disabled
  • (DLC2) Fixed texts with missing keys for Hoplite and Guardian enemies
  • (DLC3) Fixed several cases where the Myrmidon would clip through collisions after using its Fly ability.
  • (DLC3) Fixed a rare game hang after killing a poisonous Myrmidon.
  • (DLC3) Fixed a hang during loading screen after completing an Interception Battle with 2 or more Phoenix Point aircrafts present at the location.

spectre

Arcane
Chink botnet is a non-factor as long as the game itself is cracked and torrentable.

There was some typical kikestarter drama going on, but I think it just boils down to this: people waited for the second coming of Julian Gollop to deliver us with the next best thing in turn based tactics,
yet what we got was a half-baked shart resting somewhere between nuexcum and ufo:aftermath (at least that's how it feels for me).
If only someone saw the initial lovecraftian vision all the way through... who knows what might have happened. Perhaps that's where all the "hate" comes from. Me?
I'm not mad, just disappointed, and I largely ignored the KS and only tried it when it felt like it might have been fully baked (but wasn't).

Codex Year of the Donut
Is this game being hated mostly because of Epic affair?
I played it a few times, felt like an all-around better nu-XCOM to me.
Couple issues I had the last time I played was that it felt like there was way too much going on due to all the DLC and the DLC that added flying combat was ass(disable it, festering skies or w/e, when making a new game)

[edit]
now that I think about it, one area it did worse in is characters. I don't really remember there being any memorable (non-faction) characters like nu-XCOM had. Minor thing in this type of game. But it makes the game feel very ...directionless? How come I don't have a council or something?

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Chink botnet is a non-factor as long as the game itself is cracked and torrentable.

There was some typical kikestarter drama going on, but I think it just boils down to this: people waited for the second coming of Julian Gollop to deliver us with the next best thing in turn based tactics,
yet what we got was a half-baked shart resting somewhere between nuexcum and ufo:aftermath (at least that's how it feels for me).
If only someone saw the initial lovecraftian vision all the way through... who knows what might have happened. Perhaps that's where all the "hate" comes from. Me?
I'm not mad, just disappointed, and I largely ignored the KS and only tried it when it felt like it might have been fully baked (but wasn't).

As someone who never followed its origins, I had nothing to be disappointed about and nothing to compare it to (other than XCOM ofc) when I started playing it (a little bit last year and quite a bit this year), so I've enjoyed it. It's certainly not what you'd call highly polished, but it's got good gameplay for the most part.

I think the art design is a bit generic, and ofc lots of things could do with a bit of tuning, but it's not a shit game by any means, it's worth one's time to play.

But I really don't think it's much like XCOM. The ballistic modelling makes it a completely different type of game, it leans more towards simulator than board game, so the XCOM analogy is a bit misleading.

spectre

Arcane
But I really don't think it's much like XCOM. The ballistic modelling makes it a completely different type of game, it leans more towards simulator than board game, so the XCOM analogy is a bit misleading.
While the nuexcom trappings still shine from underneath every now and then, I'd agree that the ballistics is a real game changer that sets it apart. That coupled with proper equipment system and a more granular, 4 action point turn
makes it immediately a better system than excoms. But I think I already said my peace about it on the previous page.

Point is, saying it's better than excum sounds a bit like when we're discussing 4x and someone inevitably quips - yeah, but it's better than Civ6. Not a terribly high bar to pass.

As to whether it's shit, used to be so that fans of tactical-turn-based weren't exactly spoiled for choice. It's gotten better, but almost everything is a nuexcum clone these days.
The so called Jagged Alliance 3, Chaos Gate, among other things. Makes me feel a bit jaded about the whole genre.

Edit: unfucked the quote.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Today we've started our free Steam weekend for Phoenix Point: Year One Edition. Play for free all weekend long with no restrictions, and all of your progress during the free weekend will be saved and carried over to the full game if you purchase it. And best of all, for a limited time, Phoenix Point: Year One Edition is 50% off on Steam at our lowest sale price to date. https://store.steampowered.com/app/839770/Phoenix_Point_Year_One_Edition/ Jump in now from Thursday, October 7th 10AM PDT until Sunday, October 10th at 1 PM PDT! We've also rolled out our Unity hotfix to consoles and PC, so players there should see improved performance and less UI lag or other slowdown-related problems. There are still some outstanding issues being investigated, and will update with timeline when we know more. For more, visit our bug_discussion channel. Thank you all for your patience, and for playing the game!
Steam
Phoenix Point: Year One Edition
Phoenix Point: Year One Edition is the definitive version of the acclaimed strategy game from the creator of X-COM, collecting all previously released DLC, updates, and additional content. The Earth has been overrun. A mutating, alien menace threatens the last remnants of mankind. Only the Phoenix Project, a secret organization of the best minds...
Price
$29.99
Recommendations
Metacritic

PanteraNera

Arcane
So there was this video on youtube that was recommended to me by the mighty algorithmen, boy did they improve the AI, it is so much better than what we had a launch, look for yourself (with timestamp).

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
God, how much I hate this crap. I'm just waiting for the latest dlc to come out, so it'll disappear into oblivion and, with a bit of luck, I'll never hear about it again.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
God, how much I hate this crap. I'm just waiting for the latest dlc to come out, so it'll disappear into oblivion and, with a bit of luck, I'll never hear about it again.
Maybe there will be a sequel.

Kinda doubt it. Think they burned a lot of bridges with the original fans, and the mainstream wasnt overly impressed (suprise, suprise)

ArchAngel

Arcane
So there was this video on youtube that was recommended to me by the mighty algorithmen, boy did they improve the AI, it is so much better than what we had a launch, look for yourself (with timestamp).

That is one of the council members, and he suggested they remove Jump from them before release but they claimed they fixed this behaviour :D

PanteraNera

Arcane

That is one of the council members, and he suggested they remove Jump from them before release but they claimed they fixed this behaviour :D

If there is one thing that Snapshot Games is really consistent in, than it is breaking promises.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If there is one thing that Snapshot Games is really consistent in, than it is breaking promises.
This mess is such an overlap of different incompatible levels, concepts and ideas, that I don't even think they know anymore what they promised or should have created to keep them. With DLCs they just added more shit to the pile, that's all.

Mazisky

Magister
The game is free on steam for the weekend if anyone want to try it, complete of the first 2 DLCs.

Personally I don't think it is all doom and gloom but it has that low budget "cheap" feel that it is difficult to describe.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The game is free on steam for the weekend if anyone want to try it, complete of the first 2 DLCs.

Personally I don't think it is all doom and gloom but it has that low budget "cheap" feel that it is difficult to describe.
Because it is low budget lol. Anyone expecting them to be able put as much money into it as Firaxis did is deluding themselves. And still gameplay is 2x better than Firaxis shit.

Mazisky

Magister

Because it is low budget lol. Anyone expecting them to be able put as much money into it as Firaxis did is deluding themselves. And still gameplay is 2x better than Firaxis shit.

I know it is low budget, but I meant something different for feel.

Games like Darkest Dungeon or Battle Brothers are extremely low budget (even lower than PP) but they do not feel cheap at all, they feel extremely polished. Which is not the case with Phoenix Point.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

I know it is low budget, but I meant something different for feel.

Games like Darkest Dungeon or Battle Brothers are extremely low budget (even lower than PP) but they do not feel cheap at all, they feel extremely polished. Which is not the case with Phoenix Point.

Not to mention they got that sweet paycheck from Epic, so they had no excuse not to polish up the game even more.

At the end of the day, I think Gollop just got lazy/greedy and that over the years, the influence of cinematic "modern gayme design" slowly got to him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom