Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The ship sailing isn't the exploration. It's finding stuff on the overworld map, like mini-dungeons and CYOA segments. What is worse, however, is the map size. Somehow PoE2 has smaller maps than PoE1, which already has claustrophobic maps. I'd say Deadlight is better than Temple and I'd dare say better than Raedric's. But it's the only such dungeon in the entirety of the base game and I haven't read anyone say there's an equivalent in BoW. Whether the combat mechanics are better is arguable. There are clearly better things, but others are worse, like everything per encounter, loss of health/endurance and limited spell selection. I'll probably wait and see what people are saying about Woedica's challenge before beginning my playthrough.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I love how when it rains, NPCs will move under the cover of buildings.

WD8FVjm.jpg

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I'm getting nostalgic for scenes from PoE 1, like the hanging bodies off the tree, the entirety of the eothas temple, the look and feel of Gilded vale; the more I play PoE 2 the more I can't help comparing each new PoE 2 area with its PoE 1 equivalent.

The codex is full of nolstalgia fags. Incapable of appreciating anything new until it's old.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I just find the island and pirate theme boring, Safav, at least in comparison to the proto-gothic atmosphere of the first game. Not to say that PoE 1 was some marvel of atmosphere and conveyance, mind you, but so far I've found its Act 1 much more engaging than the equivalent in PoE 2.

As an aside I also find the entirety of the ship mechanics to have been a very big error on the part of the design teams as they've dedicated way too much allowance of the player's attention to something that, ultimately, serves simply to pillory the player's wanderlust. The ship fights are a strange curiosity as well that quickly become repetitive and unrewarding.

The game does have many improvements over PoE 1, of course, and chief among them is improved interaction and reactivity and further extrapolation of the class systems; it also features notable improvement in the granularity afforded to player control. I enjoy the game and I'll continue playing it as I want to experience the DLCs, which are what I had been waiting for in order to resume my playthrough. (Well, begin it really).

I don't think I'll finish it though as it seems obvious that the 3 DLCs will be the best parts of PoE 2, and since I will be over-leveled after finishing the 3rd DLC it leads me to think that I will have zero want to complete the final Act, since I already know there is no resolution of the game's story or conflicts that is worth playing for.

EDIT: Also the graphics are beautiful and sometimes stunning and they are easily the biggest reason I'm enjoying the game. If it had lesser graphics then I would stop playing it, simple as that. I love entering locations and feasting my eyeballs on the art of the game and it is the main reason I want to play the game; without this I would not be enjoying myself enough to play this instead of another game.

Mazisky

Magister
Pillars 1 had better atmosphere and setting. I am pretty sure the classic fantasy is more favoured and successful over a specific theme like pirates and seas. That said, Deadfire is better than Poe 1 in any other aspect.

If they manage to combine the atmosphere of the first with the QoL and graphics of the second, they can do a very good pillars 3.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
TT1

hey, is there a mod that you know of that disables all of the ship bullshit? I don't mean the combat, that's fine because you can always just close in and fight it out, i mean like I don't want to fucking micro-manage supplies and crew and that shit, i just want to go from point A to point B on the ship.

are there any values in the bundle files to make this possible?

Hmmm... good question. I dont know any mod can do that. The best option in this case is to use a collection of mods.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/4
https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/256
https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/95
https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/96

I can try to investigate and mod it, if its possible, if you want.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If you don't mind the party battles on the ships, you can only go for the one which makes closing to board deal no damage, as morale goes up a loooooooooooot if you redistribute the booty.

Efe

Erudite
is the latest dlc mid game?
would it change anything if i start now or when its released?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
from what I googled both beast of winter and SSS and forgotten sanctum are all mid-game, with suggested level ranges being 10-15 for them but taking into account the level scaling if turned on.

i suspected this would be the case similar to White March and FNV dlcs, which is why I waited to play until the dlc's were released. I knew that i finished the game before the dlc's came out that i would never go back to it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It *should* be 18+ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). BoW being 14-16, SSS being 16-18. No idea why I think that or where I got those numbers from, though.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
What's the verdict on SSS? I read positive things about BoW here but things have been quiet on SSS quality.

Lacrymas

Arcane
From the literally 2-3 people on here who have tested SSS, they said it's a good arena mode with progressive fights, but not well thought-out rewards.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
SSS does exactly what they advertised - lots and lots of endgame fights for a pimped out party, with best encounters both games have to offer. So if that's your thing, buy it. If not, avoid, because there's nothing else there. Loot is crap and story is barebones.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
There is one great reward in SSS, and that's Muatu. Level 19 summon with legendary weapons, and attacks that heal nearby party members.

80px-Lax01_muatu_convo.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
The criticism wasn't aimed at the quality of the items, I don't think that was discussed, but that they come too late (essentially end-game); are soulbound, so they have to be upgraded, which takes even more time, if there are enough fights left in the game at all; and that they are rewarded at the completion of the entire thing, exacerbating the previous issue. I vaguely remember saying they should've given you the soulbound items before the arena started and they being upgraded by winning fights in the arena itself.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It has Berath's Blessings, which give you various bonuses, but I don't know specifics. Maybe some of them let you retain items.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Beraths Blessings (64 points max)

5000 starting money (3 points)
50000 starting money (15 points)
Start at level 4 (12 points)
Bonus Attributes (15 points)
Fully explored world map (12 points)
Bonus Class Skills (3 points)
Fine equipment (5 points)
Upgraded Ship Sails (8 points)
Experienced Ship Captain (4 points)
Unique Item Vendor (5 points)
Infamous Past (8 points)
Discount Craftsman (15 points)
More valuable pickpocketing (12 points)
Legendary Crew (12 points)
Additional Pet Slot Eder (15 points)
Free Mythical Adra Stone (30 points)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The upcoming patch 4.0 is adding some new options for new games that seem interesting:

- food will rot in your inventory after time
- all abilities per-rest
- weapons break
- night-time you get less visible radius around char, during daytime you get more visibility
- Beast-type enemies are tougher (given bonuses)

So yeah, there are some new game+ kind of things as these are only available upon starting a new game. Frankly it all sounds tedious but hey, whatever. All abilities per-rest is the only one that piqued my interest, that will really make you change up your tactics, combined with food rotting that might actually serve as a somewhat new way to lessen Rest Spam, since shit only recharges if you rest-with-food.

The weapons breaking stuff just sounds like pure tedium though, along with the night-time/day-time thing.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
is the pet that reduces armor recovery the best in the game? Seems doubtful I'll find something better than that, tbh.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I released a mod some time ago that removes all pet bonus, exactly like PoE1. Game is easy enough, we dont need more buffs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom