Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

pomenitul

Arbiter
It’s been a while, but none of that worked for me. Reinstalling Windows didn’t either by the way. It’s a lost cause.

I called them out on it and here's what they had to say:

Unfortunately we were unable to get NVidia to provide us support for this issue. While trying to get that support, we worked with various users who had these graphical issues and collected a list of solutions that worked for them. If you are still having performance issues I highly recommend trying out the solutions listed above as they've helped a lot.

Never mind that none of those 'solutions' did anything on my end. I lol'd at the blame-shifting though.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
400E3E716CE80B3098A469A97BF5B9CB03010B2D

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Only dumbasses care about RTwP. For the record though, it IS more manageable for two reasons

Combat speed setting

WPJ0gm5.png

AI behavior editor

b4f23a4573094828a1f59d00fb1976a7d46fc6b4.jpg

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I was thinking why I find the combat in deadfire moderately enjoyable despite disagreeing with almost all design approaches sawyer has and the system at place in general. It is because of options of character archetypes and itemisation basically, there are a lot of them and they are different. Especially itemisation, it is everything that the system is not. The system is extremely streamlined, it is all about stacking multipliers to fill a bar of statistics to reach a critical mass of numbers, it is nearly always about efficiency (in itself not a bad thing) above all and overall just feels like a bad mmo. Itemisation on the other hand are opposite, items are unique, they have tangible impact and they are recognisable with their bonuses, they change how things work out in combat and getting thresholds in enchantments is very satisfying and you immediately feel the effects. Imagine if a game existed that actually had a good system that wasn't such streamlined garbage about adding up several 10-15% bonuses.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Why they haven't patched this mod for inverse CPU performance scaling in official update ?
https://steamcommunity.com/app/560130/discussions/0/2572002906843374108/

20 second loading screen with an SSD is unacceptable.

5 sec load time would be fine.
I tried that Special K thing, very minimal frame gains. Queen's Berth went up like 5 FPS. Other area went up from ~90 to ~98. It's a boost, but not the dramatic boost this guy's painting it as. Not for me, anyway.

Sharpedge

Prophet
You should post another picture of those "epic" deadfire bosses, which have such "interesting" design and yet devolve into pressing the same buttons for an hour or so and not really having to do any thinking to win. Those fights have absolutely 0 respect for a players time and they are not difficult, just time consuming stat bloat.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Unfortunately we were unable to get NVidia to provide us support for this issue.

Tsk tsk, what's the point of being a Microsoft studio if you still get treated like a bum
Josh Sawyer has spoken in the past about how being an acquired studio is the worst of both worlds. Fairfax can provide the direct quote, I don't care enough about it anymore.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
You should post another picture of those "epic" deadfire bosses, which have such "interesting" design and yet devolve into pressing the same buttons for an hour or so and not really having to do any thinking to win.

This is obvious bullshit, but if a boss is actually taking you longer than 5-15 minutes it's because your party consists entirely of healing bot tanks.

Those fights have absolutely 0 respect for a players time and they are not difficult, just time consuming stat bloat.

Ironic that you would complain about stat bloat in defense of Kingmaker, which is the king of ridiculously bloated stats on enemies.

Sharpedge

Prophet
You should post another picture of those "epic" deadfire bosses, which have such "interesting" design and yet devolve into pressing the same buttons for an hour or so and not really having to do any thinking to win.

This is obvious bullshit, but if a boss is actually taking you longer than 5-15 minutes it's because your party consists entirely of healing bot tanks.

Those fights have absolutely 0 respect for a players time and they are not difficult, just time consuming stat bloat.

Ironic that you would complain about stat bloat in defense of Kingmaker, which is the king of ridiculously bloated stats on enemies.
unknown.png

I like to play these games solo. Pathfinder fights solo unfair, you need to think a bit, adjust tactics and once you found a way to deal with them, they are over in a reasonable amount of time. Here? Just press the same buttons over and over again for very long periods of time. The bosses literally have 1000s of hit points. If that is not the very definition of stat bloat, then I don't know what is. If I was to compare a similar fight of a similar scale, the lantern king, to the oracle, it has multiple phases, each which has its own tactics and you need to adjust to each phase as you go along. In that fight, I actually had the possibility of wiping and needing to start over, I needed to think. Pillars of Eternity 2 on PoTD? 1 size fits all approach, I used the same tactics for this fight that I used for pretty much every other fight in the game, with no need to deviate at all. First attempt going in blind, it was an easy win, which in itself is ok, but if a game is going to be easy then don't waste my time with 1000s of hitpoints.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I don't have any major problems with PoE systems/mechanics, besides the fact that they were obviously not thought up with a RTwP framework in mind; my issue with PoE 2 specifically is the dry-as-fuck boring writing, boring setting, boring characters, boring companions, etc.

It's such a sterile, neutered middle-of-the-road game in its writing and presentation that it becomes... very boring.

EDIT: Oh, also actively dislike the ship sailing (slows down exploration for no real gain), and I think Neketaka is too big, and you guessed it: boring. Should've made more (and more interesting) dungeons instead of that giant boring city.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Kingmaker would be a 10 times better game if it was turn based, and remove 80% of the trash mobs.

Deadfire is much better in this regard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom