Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Tigranes

Arcane
People splurging about Sawyer's language work don't know what they're mad about. Dude is a colossal language/history nerd, uses his nerd powers to create fake fantasy words in a logical way.

Does it add a lot to the game? No.
Does it detract from the game? No.
Is it better than "Blue Lagoon" and "Long Island", or random made up words in other RPGs (half of which are actually also created off foreign words and shit, so same method as Sawyer but lazier)? Yes.
Would the combat or pacing be better in Deadfire if Sawyer didn't do this stuff? No.

That Sawyer post explains that he basically ripped off bunch of Italian words for Vailian to create a "sounds like Italian but not actually Italian" language, which goes for basically the rest of Old Vailia in the setting. It's not particularly original, it's also very much in line with what other RPGs do, just slightly less blatant (compared to, I don't know, Kara-Tur, or the million "totally not Aztec fantasy kingdom worshipping the god Kitzakotul" types out there). If anything, it's conventional fantasy CRPG down to a tee.

Atchodas

Augur
Would the combat or pacing be better in Deadfire if Sawyer didn't do this stuff? No.

Actually if he put half of effort into that yes it would

Cant even call obsidian combat design lazy because it is non existent

chuft

Augur
Have started my first POE2 game with turn based mode. Thought it was going ok till I got in my first ship fight.

Leaving aside the issue that the enemy crew I killed before boarding didn't affect the size or toughness of the enemy force at all....

Serafan starts with a blunderbuss in one hand and an axe in the other. He never fired the blunderbuss when adjacent to an enemy, even when I use the Full Attack barb ability, forget the name, for a bold attack or something. (He never fired it at range either.) Does melee/gun just not work?

I did a "copy" on Serafan's axe and put the copy in weapon set 3 with a shield. During the battle, the game would not let me switch to this weapon set. Bug with copied weapons? With weapon set 3? I could switch to Set 2 which had two pistols.

Eder was engaged with three enemies. The middle one was back a little bit and wounded. I decided to try to finish him off. When I hovered the cursor over him, there was a normal attack percentage (using sword). But when I selected Crippling Strike and hovered over him, the game plotted a movement path instead to get behind him, which would have broken engagement with all three enemies if I had clicked. It was acting like Crippling Strike couldn't reach him in melee (but the sword could). Bug?

otsego

Cipher
Sorry if it has been addressed but after numerous jump-starts, I am finally giving this a real go. And 80% of the thread seems to be shitting on this game sooo...

Was the difficulty ever fixed? I started on Veteran because I recalled hearing standard was super easy. I get caught offguard every now and then but if I fail it is usually a positioning error... I find myself never using potions or drugs or scrolls or traps. Seems way easier than POE1, and I only have a very basic understanding of the game rules. (Note, I am about 20hr in, just finishing up Neketaka)

Also, I saw people praising the story etc but I'm finding it way more disjointed and scatter-brained than POE1... the first game may have been bland but at least it had tone and a bit of atmosphere. I feel this excellect track sums up the sorrow and despair of the crisis in the original:

The bastardization of spanish/portugese/whatever is really hard to see past as well, it becomes even more glaring when the voice actor clearly "doesn't get it".

Codex liked this generally more than poe1... I am confused as to why this seems inferior to me. (I felt the same way about DOS1 vs DOS2. Also inb4 'you have shit taste in games')

Butter

Arcane
Patron
They upped the difficulty of Veteran and PotD after release. I haven't done a full playthrough since then, only the first island, but it was noticeably harder. Deadfire's writing is better than that of the first game in the sense that it has less purple prose, but the main plot is at least as stupid, and the tone is all over the place.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Codex liked this generally more than poe1... I am confused as to why this seems inferior to me. (I felt the same way about DOS1 vs DOS2. Also inb4 'you have shit taste in games')

Both aren't as good as they should and can be, though. The second is let down by a shitty writing team who can't write themselves out of a paper bag and it makes for this absurdist romp through silly problems and even sillier metaphysics. PoE1's structure and narrative were bad, this one's are just boring, pick your poison. You play for the combat and nothing else. There are pretty pictures in 2 too.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It took BG3 announcement for massive interest shitposting about Larian's game. Obsidian is waay ahead in this department.
InXile though... did they made at least one decent game? I've only tried numanuma and this one was horrific. I wonder why Microsoft wasted money on them.
If by decent you mean average, then Wasteland 2 suffices. It could have been a lot better, of course, but compared to their other offerings, it was pretty good.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I don't know about Codex generally, but I prefer POE2 simply because the graphics are clearer and builds are easier to understand - for me it's just easier to "read." Agree that the story is all over the place - though it has its moments, as does POE.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
People are complaining about the turn-based gameplay but it's pretty fine and it offers a greater array of strategic options. Listen, I'm 80 hours in and I have finally arrived in Neketaka so pretty close to the end.

Bonerbill

Augur
People are complaining about the turn-based gameplay but it's pretty fine and it offers a greater array of strategic options. Listen, I'm 80 hours in and I have finally arrived in Neketaka so pretty close to the end.

I think the turn-based gameplay "feels" great, it's just that the battles last way too long.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I think the turn-based gameplay "feels" great, it's just that the battles last way too long.

I think that partly depends on whether you keep switching up your party or not. If you don't, then it eventually gets boring doing the same "tricks" and synergies, and the battles feel too long subjectively; but if you keep switching up and you're constantly learning new tricks, then the battles continue to be absorbing and feel just right.

(I have to say though, in the broader view, I don't think PoE2's turn-based holds a candle to PF:K's turn-based modded, that mod is a work of genius, and turns PF:K into the closest thing to ToEE since ToEE.)

chuft

Augur
So I go to the Oathbinders Sanctum. It’s supposed to be this big temple of Woedica, and has a bunch of her followers in it.

Problem is, the giant statue in the room with the big fight is of . . . . Magran. So were some other wall decorations, once I started paying attention.

Is this supposed to make sense? Hard to believe they could be this sloppy.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There won't be a PoE3. If there is, it won't be an isometric party-based RPG. I predict that when Baldur's Gate 3 comes out and if it's a success in whatever genre it is going to be, Obsidian will announce they are working on Pillars 3 in that genre. Nu-Obsidian is reactionary.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
There won't be a PoE3. If there is, it won't be an isometric party-based RPG. I predict that when Baldur's Gate 3 comes out and if it's a success in whatever genre it is going to be, Obsidian will announce they are working on Pillars 3 in that genre. Nu-Obsidian is reactionary.
You mean, Microsoft is now reactionary.
DoS2 proved already isometric party-based RPG can be huuge success. PoE3 will be iso.

Lacrymas

Arcane
DOS2 is a freak accident not supported by any other iso game that has come out recently. PoE2 was a monumental commercial failure.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
To answer the hypothesis vortex , if an active pause sequel should be, they need to address their monster tuning (no more nagas being stronger than dragons and stuff, hp-bloated non-threatening enemies are annoying as well) and maybe include more class-specific unique feats.
Story-wise, enough with the setting tourism gimmick, we just don't care. Make us travel whatever their astral plane is called and dwelve in the affairs of gods and their wicked realms.
A better writing would be appreciated but it's both low priority & practically impossible with their current staff.
ps : Again, won't happen, but memory leaks & loading eternities removal would be cool too.

Last edited:

chuft

Augur
Really? That's Woedica, look at the centerpiece of the crown. It's not a perfect image, but it's not like she was there in person to pose for the sculptors.

The statue is clearly wearing robes and a (broken) crown, not heavy spiky armor and a burning head with horns.

You are right. Guess that codeine cough syrup I have been taking is stronger than I thought.

I think finding this book of Magranic Benedictions in the altar is what made me think the whole thing was Magran

owZnZG9.jpg

That, and the flames everywhere. But I have a distinct memory of seeing the word "Magran" when I clicked on the magnifying glass icon for the wall symbol on an upper floor, and on the statue. Obviously, this memory was false.

Odd how the mind works when under the influence, even when you don't feel affected.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom