Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Crichton

Prophet
What the fuck? What do you think people are more likely to fork over money for? (i) TB Pillars featuring Eder, Durance and the original Pallagina, (ii) New Vegas / Wildstar Mash-up (Outer Worlds) or (iii) Honey I shrunk the game (Grounded)? Also, how much can it possibly cost to port between two engines that use the exact same art and sound formats? Sawyer needs to check into a Betty Ford clinic, STAT.
The question is how many people will pay for a port, when the two games are only made 4 years apart and using the same engine. Sure Deadfire looks way better, but is it really worth to buy the first game second time just to make it look better?

I'd say they look the same; but it's not about looks, it's about that turn-based combat engine.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
OK, I'm doing another Deadfire run (185 hrs in, 40 or so TB) to get Infinitron off my ass (neckbeard? srsly?). Back to RTwP, TB is fine but whatever, I'm not Amish.

What class/difficulty/challenge is recommended? Especially from Inifinitron. I'm nothing if not empirical. Can certainly be convinced I'm too down on it.

S.torch

Arbiter
How is Aedyr a "conservative, traditional culture both in terms of social outlook" with the story that Aloth tells about his mother and father? it doesn't sound like an empire at all.

Desiderius

Patron
How is Aedyr a "conservative, traditional culture both in terms of social outlook" with the story that Aloth tells about his mother and father? it doesn't sound like an empire at all.

It’s the default story temporal bigots tell themselves about conservative, traditional cultures. More lazy writing rationalized by the SJW.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
OK, I'm doing another Deadfire run (185 hrs in, 40 or so TB) to get Infinitron off my ass (neckbeard? srsly?). Back to RTwP, TB is fine but whatever, I'm not Amish.

What class/difficulty/challenge is recommended? Especially from Inifinitron. I'm nothing if not empirical. Can certainly be convinced I'm too down on it.

Potd is a must, I also recommend expert and berath challenge

S.torch

Arbiter
It’s the default story temporal bigots tell themselves about conservative, traditional cultures. More lazy writing rationalized by the SJW.

I don't think that even the most ignorant people about history thinks that the shameful tale of Aloth's parents was a thing in actual empires. In some cultures like classical ones Aloth's mother actions could easily get her killed, at that would be allowed by the law itself (!). In late medieval England something like that would be no legal by any means, and would be disgraceful.

And I find curious that someone like Sawyer who is supposedly fixated with history, would put something like that in the game.

Desiderius

Patron

I don't think that even the most ignorant people about history thinks that the shameful tale of Aloth's parents was a thing in actual empires. In some cultures like classical ones Aloth's mother actions could easily get her killed, at that would be allowed by the law itself (!). In late medieval England something like that would be no legal by any means, and would be disgraceful.

And I find curious that someone like Sawyer who is supposedly fixated with history, would put something like that in the game.

No, making Aloth's father a cuck was just the usual SJW gratuitous twist of the knife. Regrettably par for the course for Dr. Nihilism here.

Desiderius

Patron

Any class/party composition tips? Played Beguiler/Debonair and Ancient/Stalker.

Any decent mods at all?

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera

Any class/party composition tips? Played Beguiler/Debonair and Ancient/Stalker.

Any decent mods at all?

Depends. Are you going to use companions, sidekicks or customs?

Or a combination of all?

If your main dps is melee consider a priest for support, for ranged damage dealers a chanter is usually better. Of course you get a lot of benefit from a paladin's zealous aura either way

For your watcher you could try devoted + furyshaper\berserker OR sharpshooter + bleakwalker

If you want to try melee, contrary to popular belief, dual wielding isn't really better than 2h cuz stacking recovery provides diminishing returns past a certain point and the difference becomes less than tenth of a second. So you end with more dps thanks to overpenenetration bonuses of 2h

could still pick battle axe-devoted If you want to try both, there are a few unique 2-handed ones

Desiderius

Patron
Depends. Are you going to use companions, sidekicks or customs?

Or a combination of all?

If your main dps is melee consider a priest for support, for ranged damage dealers a chanter is usually better. Of course you get a lot of benefit from a paladin's zealous aura either way

For your watcher you could try devoted + furyshaper\berserker OR sharpshooter + bleakwalker

If you want to try melee, contrary to popular belief, dual wielding isn't really better than 2h cuz stacking recovery provides diminishing returns past a certain point and the difference becomes less than tenth of a second. So you end with more dps thanks to overpenenetration bonuses of 2h

could still pick battle axe-devoted If you want to try both, there are a few unique 2-handed ones

All companions. I’d prefer something slightly underpowered but interesting to ostensibly optimal but one-dimensional.

I can always pick up Maya for that.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hmm, you've already had quite interesting class combos.

Something with Helwalker Monk, perhaps? Like a Hand Mortar / Fire in the Hull Helwalker / Sharpshooter.
Or a straight mortar Helwalker for mortar Whispers of the Wind cheese.

Or something to utilize the awesome Engoliero the Espirs (would rush that faction/questline). Like an Estoc Devoted / Streetfighter or Trickster. Before Engoliero, there are other very good estocs also (Eager Blade, before that BotEP).

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, I am so tired from endless monk- rogue- and devoted- multies that look and play so alike to each other that pure classes, often casters, are more attractive at this point - like Troubadour, (Blood) Wizard, Priest or Cipher.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I'd advise Cipher (/Monk or /Rogue :P), but he has already played a Beguiler.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
be steel garrote / arcane archer

Hm, last time I checked Arcane Archer was still bugged with PEN on his imbue abilities not properly scaling from power level and making it kinda trashy. There is mod to fix it though.

Obsidian and their patches...

Atchodas

Augur
Believe it or not I'm not a powergamer. Would prefer to play the game as intended by the devs.

I am serious, single class solo rogue is the easiest way to complete the game while killing anything you want to kill and not taking any risks. Playing with a party you will have to spend time micro managing weaklings who are not really worth it.

Btw overall difficulty of Deadfire implies that game was meant to be played solo, since solo POTD is not even close to maximum difficulty and its not hard like at all, and lower difficulties are too easy even on solo

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
The game does become easier as you progress. But you seem to have some superhuman skillz, if you think entire PotD is easy, from the start. Solo to boot. Please teach me, Master!

Desiderius

Patron
Well, I am so tired from endless monk- rogue- and devoted- multies that look and play so alike to each other that pure classes, often casters, are more attractive at this point - like Troubadour, (Blood) Wizard, Priest or Cipher.

Going back and forth between Troub and Skald. Leaning toward Herald of some sort.

Desiderius

Patron
The game does become easier as you progress. But you seem to have some superhuman skillz, if you think entire PotD is easy, from the start. Solo to boot. Please teach me, Master!

Atchodas In Effect!

Sounds like fun man, just not my thing.

Desiderius

Patron
be steel garrote / arcane archer

I’m Kind Wayfarer all the way, <sarc>dipshit</sarc>.

Figured they may have finally made AA decent, so was considering that.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom