Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

pomenitul

Arbiter
The best part is that her romance can trigger almost anytime anywhere. In my playthrough, we were in a crypt, surrounded by centuries-old corpses and suffocated by the smell of death, when she decided she wanted to make a cute voice and cuddle.

Just like in BG2, then.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The best part is that her romance can trigger almost anytime anywhere. In my playthrough, we were in a crypt, surrounded by centuries-old corpses and suffocated by the smell of death, when she decided she wanted to make a cute voice and cuddle.

Just like in BG2, then.
This is BG2 spiritual successor, after all.

Damned Aerie: she acts all prude and innocent and then goes ultra kinky and wants to do it in the sewers.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Uwu, at level 13 the chanter troubadour just breaks the game with Weapon summons and skelleton spawing every 3 seconds. The weapon summons are 1200 hp every 15 seconds...
and if you marry the chanter to a barbarian with his instant recovery on kill...

I wish there was a list of items with effects like
onHit
onCrit
onKill
onBeingHit/Crit

Some are listed here:
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/105705-on-kill-effects/

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/1...ild-meleeranged-build-or-just-a-ranged-build/

BTW. Try this skeleton spam with a frenzied Berserker (without blocking/removing Confuse) and wielding Grave Calling with Chillfog upgrade...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Here are the tactics to the drake fight - lure them on the left ramp and position your party between the stairs to the adra underground lake and the tent there. Have your tank with at least 3 potions of healing and have him stand between the party and the animals. Try not to have the boar attacking the tank. Have a guy with the rod mastery (seriously, this is the answer to the whole starting isle) and AoE them all down while keeping the tank alive. Having someone with charm animals is not necessary, but it can help at the beginning. I managed to beat this fight on the second try using this tactic. Priest of Skaen/Rogue, Paladin/Barb, Fury Druid/Evoker. The skeletons are defeated much the same way, you just have to kill the mage first.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'd say the skeletons are tougher because you can't really control them the way you can the drake fight (unless you are a Furyshaper Barbarian, hint hint nudge nudge) and you do chip damage to the fighters due to them having disgusting amounts of armor. It's a balancing act of keeping everyone alive while bursting down the mage and sharpshooter, then surviving long enough to outlast the fighters. It's definitely possible, I just did it, but it cost me most of my consumables and a loooot of luck and reloads. Here's the thing with these fights on the starting isle, it's all about whether you'll hit with your abilities, so your tactics may be sound but since the mobs are overtuned the odds aren't in your favor purely from a dice rolling perspective. I'm not particularly sure how to qualify this. What kind of design is this? I like that it's tougher, but it boils down to fate smiling on you and landing your abilities rather than any sort of tactical presence on your part. There are definitely tactics involved, trying to figure out how to make a conga line of the enemies so they don't shred you to pieces in the first seconds of the fight, but once that's figured out it's praying to RNGesus to save you.

Tigranes

Arcane
Here are the tactics to the drake fight - lure them on the left ramp and position your party between the stairs to the adra underground lake and the tent there. Have your tank with at least 3 potions of healing and have him stand between the party and the animals. Try not to have the boar attacking the tank. Have a guy with the scepter mastery (seriously, this is the answer to the whole starting isle) and AoE them all down while keeping the tank alive. Having someone with charm animals is not necessary, but it can help at the beginning. I managed to beat this fight on the second try using this tactic. Priest of Skaen/Rogue, Paladin/Barb, Fury Druid/Evoker. The skeletons are defeated much the same way, you just have to kill the mage first.

Sounds good.

Depending on how you start that fight, you can attract only half of the group while leaving the other half behind, and then bottleneck on some stairs; on turn-based especially it's easier to manipulate maximum range so that the drakes for example get in each other's way and can't fire every round while you put down the boars. (Or leave the boars there while you shoot down the drakes).

Having one character with enough dodgeability to stay alive makes a big difference.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I've beaten this fight "legit" (i.e. with only 3 party members) twice already. Once with Paladin/Rogue MC, Eder, and Xoti and once with the current group. I used different tactics both times, but luring the animals outside the arena prevents the little wyrmlings from coming. I don't know how I'll do it if they are shooting my tank all the time too.

EDIT: in my original post, I meant the rod mastery, not the scepter one.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Is there an action speed hard cap? Furyshaper totem + rum + two-weapon style + potion of agility seems silly. Also, some food seems too powerful, like the captain's banquet one, I actively avoid using them.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Grave Calling
Yeah, I knew about that but not about the Zerkers since I never play them.
Imo its an exploit, as in "not intended". Same goes for Barb zeroing recovery on friendly kills. The game ought to check who is dying.
The souldbound pollaxe that adds electro stacks on hit and releases them on crit for 10 dmg for each stack also adds stacks with barb carnage on kill/crti somehow...

Furyshaper totem + rum + two-weapon style + potion of agility seems silly.
10, 12, 15, 20? Thats not even doubling the speed. You are not getting much farther than half the time for an attack. You go from 5 sec to something like 2.2 sec but you pay for it too...
Dont use foods that give immunities, rest is fine.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Try Flanked and Blooded Streetfighter (easier then it seems). His speed bonus comes in one big chunk, so is actually worth much more then several small ones.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Grave Calling
Yeah, I knew about that but not about the Zerkers since I never play them.
Imo its an exploit, as in "not intended". Same goes for Barb zeroing recovery on friendly kills. The game ought to check who is dying.
The souldbound pollaxe that adds electro stacks on hit and releases them on crit for 10 dmg for each stack also adds stacks with barb carnage on kill/crti somehow...

Broken combos and class/ability/equipment synergies are a large part of this games charm.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Is there a peaceful way to get into Deadlight without searching for a Principi flag?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Yeah. I think you can sneak trough the dungeons. You MIGHT need Spyglass to spot the entrance though... or some such. Or maybe Serafen will spoil it to you?

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Beat last encounters in the game at party level 11, single class. (no chanters were used except for some areana fights). Did have an assassin though.
Only megabosses left and some Endurance trials in the arena.

Party went Assassin, Eder, Xoti, Serafen, Maia at first.
Xoti got dropped for Tehecu as soon as I met him, who is a much better healer for a tank and a summoner.
Tehecu got temp dropped for a custom Priest at the 2 vampire fights on the misty island - needed the acc bonuses more than heals. That was in my perception the most tuff and rng heavy fight to eke out. Had to pull all registers, new character, new gear, resting bonuses, potions/scrolls, figurines.
Tehecu got perma dropped at Winter DLC for the rotting priest.
And Serafen was temp replaced by a chanter for the dire spiders fight in the arena.

Winter dlc was level 9 content. Dragon can be interrupted, Beast is an easier fight. Why are dragons raped and beaten trashfights in this here game?
Sanctum dlc forced me to level 11 at the Maura fighte because of 10 enchanted armors, those are tuff. Oracle cannot be interrupted but easier to hit and doesnt drop monster dmg on Eder.

Tried to cheeese the mega-ooze with a lvl 13 chanter and his Weapon summons and boy oh boy they sure are mega... .. .

I wish I had the time to run through the game organically with a different party of 2H Barb, 2H Pally, Monk, Druid, Wizard.
I could create them and gear them out with shit I have but thats not fun...
Then again, casters are absolutely ruined in the game and I dont care for monks (or melee wizards when not soloing) so only 2 classes would be left and the barb I tried a bit already so eh.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Here are the tactics to the drake fight - lure them on the left ramp and position your party between the stairs to the adra underground lake and the tent there. Have your tank with at least 3 potions of healing and have him stand between the party and the animals. Try not to have the boar attacking the tank. Have a guy with the scepter mastery (seriously, this is the answer to the whole starting isle) and AoE them all down while keeping the tank alive. Having someone with charm animals is not necessary, but it can help at the beginning. I managed to beat this fight on the second try using this tactic. Priest of Skaen/Rogue, Paladin/Barb, Fury Druid/Evoker. The skeletons are defeated much the same way, you just have to kill the mage first.

Sounds good.

Depending on how you start that fight, you can attract only half of the group while leaving the other half behind, and then bottleneck on some stairs; on turn-based especially it's easier to manipulate maximum range so that the drakes for example get in each other's way and can't fire every round while you put down the boars. (Or leave the boars there while you shoot down the drakes).

Having one character with enough dodgeability to stay alive makes a big difference.

I think you're supposed to lure them to the gunpowder barrel and kill them all with the explosion, but it's a lot harder to pull off than the fight in the dungeon.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Beat last encounters in the game at party level 11, single class. (no chanters were used except for some areana fights). Did have an assassin though.
Only megabosses left and some Endurance trials in the arena.

Party went Assassin, Eder, Xoti, Serafen, Maia at first.
Xoti got dropped for Tehecu as soon as I met him, who is a much better healer for a tank and a summoner.
Tehecu got temp dropped for a custom Priest at the 2 vampire fights on the misty island - needed the acc bonuses more than heals. That was in my perception the most tuff and rng heavy fight to eke out. Had to pull all registers, new character, new gear, resting bonuses, potions/scrolls, figurines.
Tehecu got perma dropped at Winter DLC for the rotting priest.
And Serafen was temp replaced by a chanter for the dire spiders fight in the arena.

Winter dlc was level 9 content. Dragon can be interrupted, Beast is an easier fight. Why are dragons raped and beaten trashfights in this here game?
Sanctum dlc forced me to level 11 at the Maura fighte because of 10 enchanted armors, those are tuff. Oracle cannot be interrupted but easier to hit and doesnt drop monster dmg on Eder.

Tried to cheeese the mega-ooze with a lvl 13 chanter and his Weapon summons and boy oh boy they sure are mega... .. .

I wish I had the time to run through the game organically with a different party of 2H Barb, 2H Pally, Monk, Druid, Wizard.
I could create them and gear them out with shit I have but thats not fun...
Then again, casters are absolutely ruined in the game and I dont care for monks (or melee wizards when not soloing) so only 2 classes would be left and the barb I tried a bit already so eh.

What do you mean, casters are ruined? Casters rock. Particularly Blood Mages.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Sounds good.

I think you're supposed to lure them to the gunpowder barrel and kill them all with the explosion, but it's a lot harder to pull off than the fight in the dungeon.

Wouldn't say "supposed to".
That's just one way to solve this encounter. Not an easy one to pull off.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, I've never got that to work super well. In TB in particular, granulated distance-based movement instead of hex/grid, as well as quite high movement speeds for all creatures, means that it really is hard to trap enough enemies in the AOE, and it's not like in DOS where your entire skillset was based around moving and throwing these objects.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Blood mages are an exception that basically removes the 2nd biggest problem of caster. The biggest problem is acc. Now, if you are high level enought to land your fireballs with 80% than maaaybe the caster is a tolerable member but not great. But for me the caster is looking at 20% acc on enemies that matter, so his 2 casts are worth about 0... even with Weycs wand that turns misses into grazes.
But wizards are ruined: terrible acc, 2+1 casts, long casts, no dmg afterwards, wet tissue, have to pick and chose spells to match books like an autistic moron. They are dead weight.

As Example, last fight for me against Nemnoks crew. Party is level 11, mind you.
I cant replace Eder with a wizard, the wiz will get fucked up even before this measly 2 casts of protections run out.
Cant replace Maia, ranger, since she has about 30+ acc on a wiz. And will deliver dmg long and hard, and has prone on graze with arbalests.
Cant replace Serafen, cipher, cause he is cruicial to turn low-will nasties who the wiz just cant kill even remotely with his biggest nukes. 2 eoten. Nice Ringleader at the start of fight controls a bottleneck that a wiz just cant control in absolutely no way.
Cant replace the priest cause he has acc bonues for whole party. Some heals too and emergency ressurect.
Whats left is the assassin who is a better stealth nuker with items and a backstabber with axes later. Because of the +25 assass acc bonus and items bonus and all the hit to crits.
So a wizard is gutter trash in this party.

And I have a feeling in just about any other party a wizard can be replaced by a better class.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Blood mages are an exception that basically removes the 2nd biggest problem of caster. The biggest problem is acc. Now, if you are high level enought to land your fireballs with 80% than maaaybe the caster is a tolerable member but not great. But for me the caster is looking at 20% acc on enemies that matter, so his 2 casts are worth about 0... even with Weycs wand that turns misses into grazes.
But wizards are ruined: terrible acc, 2+1 casts, long casts, no dmg afterwards, wet tissue, have to pick and chose spells to match books like an autistic moron. They are dead weight.

As Example, last fight for me against Nemnoks crew. Party is level 11, mind you.
I cant replace Eder with a wizard, the wiz will get fucked up even before this measly 2 casts of protections run out.
Cant replace Maia, ranger, since she has about 30+ acc on a wiz. And will deliver dmg long and hard, and has prone on graze with arbalests.
Cant replace Serafen, cipher, cause he is cruicial to turn low-will nasties who the wiz just cant kill even remotely with his biggest nukes. 2 eoten. Nice Ringleader at the start of fight controls a bottleneck that a wiz just cant control in absolutely no way.
Cant replace the priest cause he has acc bonues for whole party. Some heals too and emergency ressurect.
Whats left is the assassin who is a better stealth nuker with items and a backstabber with axes later. Because of the +25 assass acc bonus and items bonus and all the hit to crits.
So a wizard is gutter trash in this party.

And I have a feeling in just about any other party a wizard can be replaced by a better class.
What's your full party? Curious

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom