Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Delterius

Arcane
Her initial discomfort is from a combination of social stigma and too heavy changes involved in becoming Hylea's godlike. Eventually the former receded a bit because she became a prized unit of the Ducs just from being godlike (so going from abomination to exotic curiosity, not perfect, not the worst) but the latter wouldn't until the scientistman helped her. Pallegina is a stunted godlike. A full hylea godlike has the body shape of Big Bird.

I don't know I feel like Pallegina is the best written character in the game. She is an enthusiastic patriot who suffered a lot due to divine providence and upon meeting her god she realized that Hylea is kind of a chill shithead. I'm sad she became even more anal after PoE1 but things like her conversation with Eder make her much more relatable than her telling sharkboy to fork off.

Delterius

Arcane
Her fall from grace might be entirely apocryphal. Woedica says that the Gods took the form of the most common myths in Eora and then worked to squash all the others. She might have just taken the form of the Queen That Was from the very beginning.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow, Pallegina and Maia are competing over which is more based:

upload_2021-5-8_20-19-44.png

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
so I downloaded this game on an external harddrive and it can take minutes to load

luckily it allows me to multitask while doing my current job, which is gambling and watching my monero go up

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You are a masochist if you don't run it from an ssd.

BTW, in contrast to based companions it's particulary hilarious how every position of relative power in the Deadfire archipelago is either filled by a stumbling idiot of a man, stupid, corrupt and/or evil, or by a strong independent woman, embodying wisdom and sound moral principles, with the good of her faction and her people at heart. The exceptions to this are extremely rare.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Pallegina might be "based" whatever that means, but she is also a whiny cunt whose religious criticism reminds me of myself as an edgy 15-year-old. Maia stands out in that crowd of teenagers. Almost seems like whoever wrote her tried as hard as she could to thwart the direction of whatever design lead set the tone for the rest of the bunch

Erebus

Arcane
BTW, in contrast to based companions it's particulary hilarious how every position of relative power in the Deadfire archipelago is either filled by a stumbling idiot of a man, stupid, corrupt and/or evil, or by a strong independent woman, embodying wisdom and sound moral principles, with the good of her faction and her people at heart.

Kind of an exaggeration. The queen of the Huana is completely fine with the blatantly unfair caste system. Aeldys is chaotic evil. And in the VTC, Lueva Alvari is narrow-minded and greedy, whereas Castol has vision.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
BTW, in contrast to based companions it's particulary hilarious how every position of relative power in the Deadfire archipelago is either filled by a stumbling idiot of a man, stupid, corrupt and/or evil, or by a strong independent woman, embodying wisdom and sound moral principles, with the good of her faction and her people at heart.

Kind of an exaggeration. The queen of the Huana is completely fine with the blatantly unfair caste system. Aeldys is chaotic evil. And in the VTC, Lueva Alvari is narrow-minded and greedy, while Castol has vision.

Also, while the commander of the Deadfire Trading Company division in the capital city is a woman, the true brains behind the operation is the spymaster dude, who's portrayed as highly intelligent and charismatic.

In fact, the only 3 places in the game I can think of that has this portrayal of gender and power dynamics are a side quest with the dumb village elder vs. wise priestess, the male governor vs. the female Huana shaman leader in the first port town and the two arch-mages you meet in Forgotten Sanctum - Tayn and Llengrath, but in that case I think it's less of an issue of "woman good, mad bad" but rather just Tayn being a known retard in the local archmagi circle, which is composed of various men and women who are more competent than him. So yeah, saying that all male leaders in the game are portrayed as incompetent and all female leaders as virtuous is an exaggeration.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Maia* and Pall are two sides of the same transorganic (anti-fertility**) coin, and the DTC mastermind is as queer as a three dollar bill.

Cope is strong in this thread. Soyer led us up to the gates with Eder's quest then lost his nerve.

* - especially once you figure out just exactly what her mission is

** -

* and ** are not unrelated

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
PoE's setting makes more sense than Forgotten Realms does.
While this is true in a very general sense, it doesn't do anything with the setting. It's written in a way that would naturally cause all kinds of struggles to occur, be they political, economic, or social, yet it feels so very static and it doesn't go anywhere. The example I always give is with the VTC and the lower caste of the Huana. The VTC have all the incentive in the world to hire these people as cheap labor in their luminous adra mines or whatever, and the lower caste will benefit too by moving up the social ladder when they get these extra resources from the VTC. This will obviously lead to the Huana not being very happy that their caste system is being challenged and undermined by the Vailians. This shit writes itself, but there's no mention of this in the whole game.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Ending Eder's quest where he did suggests that Eder fucked up by sticking it in instead of the reality that he fucked up by not sticking it out.

AwesomeButton

Patron
The VTC have all the incentive in the world to hire these people as cheap labor in their luminous adra mines or whatever, and the lower caste will benefit too by moving up the social ladder when they get these extra resources from the VTC.
But they already are doing that in the game. There is a line uttered by Tekehu if you have him in the party when you take Castol's first quest. I need to check which one it was. The vtc does employ huana and this does disturb their caste system, same as the Principi supplying foodtuffs in the Gullet.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
The VTC have all the incentive in the world to hire these people as cheap labor in their luminous adra mines or whatever, and the lower caste will benefit too by moving up the social ladder when they get these extra resources from the VTC.
But they already are doing that in the game. There is a line uttered by Tekehu if you have him in the party when you take Castol's first quest. I need to check which one it was. The vtc does employ huana and this does disturb their caste system, same as the Principi supplying fooddtuffs in the Gullet.
Same as the RDC, which tends to organize colonies and turns everyone into a different shade of worker.

The caste system being due for a major reformation is the big 'flaw' as it were associated with the Huana faction. You can only go so far with them. The whole story revolves around that and frankly I'm surprised someone can even miss that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom