Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

TedNugent

Arcane
So, I finally ran into the spider. Wow, you guys were not kidding. Ah, just looked at the Wiki.

Has anyone managed to down this thing?

Last edited:

Diggfinger

Arcane
So, I finally ran into the spider. Wow, you guys were not kidding. Ah, just looked at the Wiki.

Indeed, Belranga and all the megabosses are Craaazy!
I lost 7H of my life (and my sanity) to the SigilKeeper boss..had to give up in the end:negative:

And to think the Ultimate Challenge requires you to finish ALL THESE BOSSES with the following (and more!) activated:
Solo/hardcore mode (one character, permadeath, limited turn-time in TB)
No info on stats/resistances/dmg of weapons etc.
Timer
Forced to have a weakass girl follow you who must survive, effectively preventing stealth
Lots of limitations to resources/ more management required
Crazy buffs to enemies

..and much more obscene stuff!

Josh Sawyer is truly a genius..and a cruel person at the same time
:dealwithit:

Last edited:

gruntar

Augur

I lost 7H of my life (and my sanity) to the SigilKeeper boss..had to give up in the end:negative:

And to think the Ultimate Challenge requires you to finish ALL THESE BOSSES with the following (and more!) activated:
Timer
Forced to have a weakass girl follow you who must survive, effectively preventing stealth

..and much for obscene stuff!

Josh Sawyer is truly a genius..and a cruel person at the same time
:dealwithit:

Yeah guys that can do that are on another level. Here are my casual strats I used to kill them:

For Sigilmaster key is to abuse improved reflect potions. You can camp vendor in Outcas't Respite for it. Everyone in your party should have at least 5, preferably 10. With potions active lighting totem should kill itself during first activation, you must spread your party so lighting doesn't bounce between them. After that finish adds if they're still alive and focus chaos orb totem and arcane missile totem (keep chugging IAR pots) after that boss and rest of the totems. I used food buff that granted me immunity to resolve afflictions, so terror totem was not an issue.

Oh I forgot that you need to deal with long duration arcane dampener that boss casts at start that could potentially prevent you from using IAR pots. I dealt with it by sending a single char, preferably a monk with -50% debuff duration skill active,while rest of the party waits at entrance. Monk tanks arcane dampener, everyone chugs IAR, get in to position (if you have time you should nuke at least one add in that time).

For Belranga you just need a very high dps to kill spider nests as fast as possible. Single target spells like disintegration and summons like instruments of war helped me a lot. Boss from time to time puts an injury on a tank, so a couple of luminous adra potions are needed. Last thing I remember is using Cipher spell Echoing Shield to remove concentration from boss as soon as she gained it, preventing usage of ability that buffed all little spiders and terrified your party.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Yeah guys that can do that are on another level. Here are my casual strats I used to kill them:

For Sigilmaster key is to abuse improved reflect potions. You can camp vendor in Outcas't Respite for it. Everyone in your party should have at least 5, preferably 10. With potions active lighting totem should kill itself during first activation, you must spread your party so lighting doesn't bounce between them. After that finish adds if they're still alive and focus chaos orb totem and arcane missile totem (keep chugging IAR pots) after that boss and rest of the totems. I used food buff that granted me immunity to resolve afflictions, so terror totem was not an issue.

Oh I forgot that you need to deal with long duration arcane dampener that boss casts at start that could potentially prevent you from using IAR pots. I dealt with it by sending a single char, preferably a monk with -50% debuff duration skill active,while rest of the party waits at entrance. Monk tanks arcane dampener, everyone chugs IAR, get in to position (if you have time you should nuke at least one add in that time).

For Belranga you just need a very high dps to kill spider nests as fast as possible. Single target spells like disintegration and summons like instruments of war helped me a lot. Boss from time to time puts an injury on a tank, so a couple of luminous adra potions are needed. Last thing I remember is using Cipher spell Echoing Shield to remove concentration from boss as soon as she gained it, preventing usage of ability that buffed all little spiders and terrified your party.

Great advice for Sigilmaster, thanks! I will try it.

Whats IAR pots though?

Sannom

Augur

Timer
I understand that Belranga is downright impossible to beat if you're unlucky with the random bonuses applied to beasts by the Galawain challenge....

Diggfinger

Arcane

Timer
I understand that Belranga is downright impossible to beat if you're unlucky with the random bonuses applied to beasts by the Galawain challenge....

dirty-bastards-shake-head.gif

TedNugent

Arcane
Seeker, Slayer, Survivor sucks ass.

Also, trying to save this kid named Kaali. Looked at combat log, Kaali killed Kaali. Seething.

Last edited:

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yet another stuttering workaround (almost working)

Run the game, get to the Task Manager (ctrl+alt+del) ---> click the "Details" tab, find the Pillars of Eternity II in the list ---> right click and select "Affinity", unclick all but 1-2 cores. You may want to experiment which cores to leave selected, but for the sake of simplicity, just try the first two selected, the rest unselected.

Hope this helps. For me it's still not 100% but it helped me to a point where the game micro-stutters scarcely or not at all. Prior to this solution (tried everything else I could google or think of), the game had been stuttering every 4 seconds or so. Pretty crazy.
Strutter is eliminated by having minimum version of 21H1 windows 10 and quiting the game when running again to reset memory leak.

TedNugent

Arcane
I would say that so far, I like the voice acting for Prince Aruihi and Queen Onekaza.

That is all that comes to mind. The Vallian voice acting is legitimately foul, with grating forced accents. I can authentically take or leave the voice acting...

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Started playing this in hopes it would be more fun with turn-based combat. Roll into the first town and get a quest about a chick who robbed a dude. Go to her village and start asking her mum about it. Her mum is an insufferable niggress who gets all uppity with me. At first I'm thinking despair and honk-honk, but then it dawns on me: "maybe I can attack them?". Wiped out the whole nigger village. 10/10 game.

Codex Year of the Donut
The only interesting class in pillows is cipher. It's a shame they decided to make everything else so bland and boring.
I get the feeling that soyer wasn't responsible for creating ciphers.

The art is definitely there, that's obvious. The exploration is pretty decent too. I am actually supportive of the per encounter ability use (unpopular). If spells are going to be mediocre, might as well get to use them all the time.

Even still, I just haven't been able to care. Every attempt to play it ends with me wanting to play a different game. Ultimately I just don't like the mechanics. They came so close while missing so much.

soulburner

Cipher
I like the game. I would even go as far to say I like it very much. Maybe the naval combat is a bit annoying. But most of all I can't handle the loading times. Yes, I'm on an nvme drive and a fairly modern PC and it's not terrible (I wonder what it's like on an HDD :D), but moving between locations is still a nightmare, especially when you need to go somewhere through several areas. Pathfinder: Kigmaker somehow managed to optimize loading a lot - I recall it was even worse after release, but one day they released a patch that made areas load within 5 seconds, often less. What kind of sorcery could they have summoned?

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I got to the DLC ice island and stopped playing. It's a decent game with a lot of content for people who like this kind of combat. I'm glad it exists for the niche people who enjoy RTwP, but I don't. The turnbased implementation is decent, but XCOM exists. I still had some fun hours with it. The character building is much more interesting with dual-classing. Gear is also more interesting. The supercharge button kind of negates that again and on PotD you're not rewarded for experimenting but rather doubling down on cheese and overpowered strats instead.

If this game had good writing, it would be a great game, remembered for ages. Unfortunately it has mediocre writing and a lot of it. Same goes for the companions. They even did Eder in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom