Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
He was afraid to gate content like D:OS II did with Wurm fight and Ship Battle because he’s a progtard snob.

jf8350143

Liturgist
The island with bunch of undead people and vampire, sorry I mean fampyr has a pretty challenging encouter as well.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You'd think RPG dev veterans would know RPGs have long tails. My main theory about Deadfire is everyone forgot/stopped caring it's a sequel to a game they found boring or never played in the first place. For all its faults, Deadfire is ok and I'd even dare say worth playing if you are into that sort of thing. It's not one of the best RPGs ever made, that would require a design philosophy it doesn't have, but it's fine for what it is. Put that in the box blurbs, Josh.

It's just versus evil is even worse at marketing RPGs than paradox apparently. I thought it could easily sell as much as poe 1 if they did it right
Don't think so. It reminded me of the Legend of Grimrock situation. There's many things of old games that people think are cool in concept but come with the cargo cult of retro game design philosophies; LoG tricked people into thinking it was the game they wanted but along the way the players realized it was just an "old game". Something similar happened to PoE. A big chunk of the praise it got felt like it was iterating on it being a IE-style game, specifically a BG clone, when it always felt more like IWD to me.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
You'd think RPG dev veterans would know RPGs have long tails. My main theory about Deadfire is everyone forgot/stopped caring it's a sequel to a game they found boring or never played in the first place. For all its faults, Deadfire is ok and I'd even dare say worth playing if you are into that sort of thing. It's not one of the best RPGs ever made, that would require a design philosophy it doesn't have, but it's fine for what it is. Put that in the box blurbs, Josh.
Nah, Deadfire is in the TOP10 best ever RPGs. Easily.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Versus Evil did next to nothing to promote Deadfire though. I'm not actually sure they did anything. I heard from a number of people who didn't even realize a sequel to a game they liked was being made until after it had released.

He splurged on a Timex engraved with a cope message by spending "chunk" of his bonus. Sounds like he might have enough of his bonus left to fill up his car's gas tank. Sold well, indeed.

Last edited:

ds

Cipher
Patron
For a guy who is supposed to be a font nerd, that is a god damn abomination of a font to engrave into metal.
A font nerd wouldn't have shipped the atrocious font rendering in Pillars. Adding useless ligatures that do nothing except hurt readability makes him a font hipster, not a nerd.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Obsidian should reinvent the wheel. Pillars 3 should be action CRPG.
So... Avowed then. You have any other news from several years ago you want to break?

Hey, did you hear that Microsoft might buy ActiBlizzKing? Haha, some people are so full of it. Next thing you know, some people will think they'll buy Bethesda and Obsidian!

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
He splurged on a Timex engraved with a cope message by spending "chunk" of his bonus. Sounds like he might have enough of his bonus left to fill up his car's gas tank. Sold well, indeed.

Pff. The bonus was a moldy burrito Feargus fished out of his wastebasket. Do you know how much gas is worth these days?

Anyway, he used the funds from skipping "Taco Tuesday" as his favourite sex worker calls her half off deal and went out and bought himself the sort of thoughtful gift that no one else ever would. Remember that when he blows his brains out on Christmas eve.

Deadfire isn't a bad game by any stretch, but that watch thing is hideously depressing to me.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Pff. The bonus was a moldy burrito Feargus fished out of his wastebasket. Do you know how much gas is worth these days?

Anyway, he used the funds from skipping "Taco Tuesday" as his favourite sex worker calls her half off deal and went out and bought himself the sort of thoughtful gift that no one else ever would. Remember that when he blows his brains out on Christmas eve.

Deadfire isn't a bad game by any stretch, but that watch thing is hideously depressing to me.
Doubly bad because sold well != good

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
So... Avowed then. You have any other news from several years ago you want to break?
No, Pillars 3, isometric CRPG. It should be semi-open world with almost to none loading screen, RtWP gameplay should be improved, great dialogue, lore and locations.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
RtWP gameplay should be improved

The biggest issue with the first two Pillars games is that they are designed for TB but use RTwP. I like RTwP, but I hope a third Pillars will be turn-based, at least if they keep building the rules and flow of the game around logic that works much better in TB.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

The biggest issue with the first two Pillars games is that they are designed for TB but use RTwP. I like RTwP, but I hope a third Pillars will be turn-based, at least if they keep building the rules and flow of the game around logic that works much better in TB.
Eh, yes and no? They are kind of in a weird point in-between. I mean Deadfire finally got a Turn Based mode... only to gut important game aspects, such as Dex and armor impact on action speed, impact of weapon modals, attack time, cast time...

Meanwhile the game could be wonderful with individual, personal turns.... except some enemies might be a bit bloated for Turn Based mode in general.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
POE2 in TB is kinda boring

Eh, yes and no? They are kind of in a weird point in-between. I mean Deadfire finally got a Turn Based mode... only to gut important game aspects, such as Dex and armor impact on action speed, impact of weapon modals, attack time, cast time...

Meanwhile the game could be wonderful with individual, personal turns.... except some enemies might be a bit bloated for Turn Based mode in general.

Obviously. It was a stapled on mode with limited balancing and very little work done to make it function within the game's base design.

I'm talking about the game systems. Those are tailored for TB, and clutter the RTwP.

You have to design the game from the start with either TB or RTwP in mind. Both PoEs have rules and mechanics that conflict with both - torn between the mandate of RTwP and Josh's disdain for it.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Every RPG from now on will be a BG3 clone.
images

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom