Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just Lyric Suite doing a drive-by in GRPG, nothing to see here folks

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
BTW if any of you guys have any critiques about the character or armor models, feel free to PM me your critiques and I will "relay" the information to the relevant party ;)

Dimitri's after stuff that's out of proportion/looks bad etc etc

Dimitri br0ness :

Right now I am adding more hair variants (male & female) and facial hair, after which will do a polish on Godlike heads based on some forum feedback. It should be in the next update.

Apparently a lot of the calf sizes and muscle sizes are a bit off, be as critical as you like.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Just Lyric Suite doing a drive-by in GRPG, nothing to see here folks

Right on, scum fags.

img-gun-drive-by.jpg

Duraframe300

Arcane
Holy shit, this is the biggest Codex meltdown since the announcement of Obsidian's South Park game.

Nope, Wasteland 2 thread at its lowest point was still worse. Although that seemingly came from fewer people. More concentrated. :obviously:

Yeah, but for the occassional super breakdown like mrakvampire currently has its not that interesting.

Gord

Arcane
After excessive playing of the D:OS beta all I can add here is not to take balancing issues and bugs/glitches too much to heart this early in the beta (unless maybe you, say, more or less predicted a feature-complete, bug-free, smooth beta, which might or might not be embarrassing) - they should be reported and discussed of course, but they aren't necessarily an indication of the final product quality.
More fundamental issues (of which there seem to be some) are a different beast of course, but even then it's sometimes hard to tell what will happen during the beta phase.

P.S.: It's really a pity that we don't get a Volly vs Roguey battle in this thread. So sad that the latter is refusing to partake in the discussions here...

Weasel
P.S.: It's really a pity that we don't get a Volly vs Roguey battle in this thread. So sad that the latter is refusing to partake in the discussions here...
I think Roguey prefers dishing it out to taking it... and was hoping things would be looking a bit better at this stage compared to Larian/Inxile who he relentlessly mocked :M

This isn't an inXile/Larian beta. The goal sounds like a release candidate-quality demo for getting UI and systems feedback. Once we're in August, it's nothing but testing and polishing from here on out with no additional content creation.

Athelas

Arcane
That's technically...true - they're not making anymore content, just fixing bugs. There just are A LOT of bugs. :P

The current speed of combat appears to be very different from the more slower-paced E3 demo, by the way. Or maybe that's just me.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I already gave my extra WL2 Steam keys away to my non-Codex RPG-playing friends, so who wants this? The recipient will be randomly selected, although a known history of chowing down on Josh's trouser dragon a little too hard is a disqualifying factor, so bear that in mind.

31d22daca0.png

Edit" How much you spent on Wasteland 2 Torment so they gave you a free beta key?

Last edited:

bonescraper

First of all, nobody will actually use 3 int on a spellcaster so it's pointless to make it viable.
That's cute. I don't know how much it affects spell duration, but judging by that AoE difference alone, i probably wouldn't raise it above 3.

I think most of you people without beta access have some major misconceptions about attributes in this game. So, for future reference:

B6B46163E6D637A88DFF0A808E7B8A266FD5DE04

Strength Might: +2% per point.

E6ECE4A80C0936CDAD08995CD54515759AD442F1

Constitution: +2% per point

A961C998FC16CE871B75DEFCC05686DC00BD4448

Dexterity: +1 per point

8758A6A80D9A866750252CA98DC40330D7BB7C55

Perception: +3% per point

CF0D69A350E2831FAD8335C8E543E62E5D922BB7

Intellect: +5% per point

1E812F44783A616CD9EE4674355F7D50202440FB

Resolve: +3% per point

With that being known. Can spells miss? If not, Dexterity and Perception (and possibly Intellect) confirmed as dump stats for mages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I already gave my extra WL2 Steam keys away to my non-Codex RPG-playing friends, so who wants this? The recipient will be randomly selected, although a known history of chowing down on Josh's trouser dragon a little too hard is a disqualifying factor, so bear that in mind.

How much you spent on Wasteland 2 so they gave you a free beta key?

I think you need take a closer look at the first sentence in that email

and the last paragraph here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-update-54-release-date-september-19th.93736/

With that being known. Can spells miss?

Yes. Spells are subject to missing, damage threshold, and every single mechanic that affects standard attacks.

P.S. You're still talking about the game

Last edited:

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Why did I spend $25 on this.. not saying anything against the quality of the game of course! Minus the combat issues, I really like the writing! Just.. I should of waited.

purpleblob

Savant
Hey guys, just want to say thanks for all the info and great job, especially Sensuki. Hope you guys help fix this game before the release. It's the only game I'm looking forward to.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Guys, for those of you that are playing. Can you please answer some questions for me:

In the Dyrford Crossing EXTERIOR (not the cave or the dungeon under the statue) is there anything but a few hostile encounters with beetles? Are there any corpses to loot? Any hidden stashes? Did you meet any neutral NPCs?

msxyz

Augur
Obsidian went too far with the gameplay mechanics and tried to reinvent the wheel. Too bad their innovation came up in the form of a square wheel! :|

Even if nobody expected them to follow too closely the 2nd and 3rd edition D&D, at least they should have studied more closely the strenght of the miriads of D20 system perfcted in the last thirty years.

At this point, as a backer, I'd rather have the game pushed back one year rather than playing it with this half assed implementation.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Guys, for those of you that are playing. Can you please answer some questions for me:

In the Dyrford Crossing EXTERIOR (not the cave or the dungeon under the statue) is there anything but a few hostile encounters with beetles? Are there any corpses to loot? Any hidden stashes? Did you meet any neutral NPCs?

Shouldn't you know this? Did you give your account to somebody from Obsidian? :)

Sensuki

Arcane
No, it would just save me having to roll a character and play it again myself.

From memory there was literally nothing in the exterior but some beetle encounters. That's horrible / lazy area design for a Wilderness Area.

If that's the case, my next suggestion thread will be about that and how much more varied the BG1 Wilderness areas were encounter wise.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
At this point, as a backer, I'd rather have the game pushed back one year rather than playing it with this half assed implementation.

Another 12 monts and 1200 pages of Roguey fellating Josh? Please, God, no. :(

Obsidian went too far with the gameplay mechanics and tried to reinvent the wheel. Too bad their innovation came up in the form of a square wheel! :|

Even if nobody expected them to follow too closely the 2nd and 3rd edition D&D, at least they should have studied more closely the strenght of the miriads of D20 system perfcted in the last thirty years.

This is not the first wheel-based incident with Obsidian.

y7fFYWJ.jpg

They will never learn.

bonescraper

With that being known. Can spells miss?

Yes. Spells are subject to missing, damage threshold, and every single mechanic that affects standard attacks. Consistency!
You haven't played the beta, yet you're pulling shit out of your ass. Again. You can't miss in this game. Like, at all.

F791BAB28F079620C006B9A0A980DC01E179A2B7

This is my amazing test wizard.

96CF80747E2C76AB86CBE6C7DFE5AAC7A8BD3048

Shit accuracy or bad roll means lower damage (graze). But my high Might (20) seems to compensate for low Dexterity (3). Dat BALANCE! You truly can't make a shit build, even if you wanted to. You can raise your attributes blindfolded. Wow. Such design. So ballanced.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
You can miss, graze, hit, or critical hit.

Missing and critting are relatively rare.

You truly can't make a shit build, even if you wanted to.

Yeah, dude, that's kind of the point. That's been a design goal since day 1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom