Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Hormalakh

Magister
a big part of rpgs is character progression...

nice post mico selva

Last edited:

DefJam101

Arcane
Unsure whether to root for the visiting Something Awful posters exhibiting standard, unwarranted SA poster smug self-importance or the mouth-frothing Sawyerhaters

Someone should make one of those "Hitler finds out about..." videos based on this thread. "Roguey plays the PoE beta..."

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So I found an alternate means to play the beta. Impressions and such follow

First attempt, I create a cipher, run out to fight against beetles and immediately party wipe. Ok then. Since I forgot to save, it was time for another party.
This time, I make a chanter, and go out to fight lionz. Goes a bit better this time, but still party wipe. The fact that it's pretty much impossible to see ranges and arcs and lengths and widths for many of the spell hit templates(some you can see, others, not so much) made trying to use the wizard a real pain.
Third time: Paladin, maxing S, dex and Con, dumping all else. Wizard bugs the fuck out and has no spells, but I still kill the lions pretty easily, and then some bwacs and then some cultists under a well. Then a crossbow hit knocks bb warrior outside the map bounds and I see no way to resolve it.

Concl00sions: Game is a bit too buggy to be played currently, spell casters are apparently shit based on how well I did over the attempts. Don't like the character system so far, too much on auto, too little impact in the choices actually made. Stuff is just generally unresponsive in combat too. Feels like I would often have to tell a guy to do something twice. Maybe it's because they were doing something else, but it was kinda hard to tell. Animations need to be less subtle in this regard. The combat log needs some default filters so it doesn't get spammed with "BB fighter regenerates 1 stamina!"

Assorted bugs: Whenever braziers are on screen, my fps drops to less than 10, one is manageable, but still choppy. When I open map screen it flickers like a motherfucker, probably some shader effect that's not displaying properly(guess my drivers are out of date or something). Wizard spells suffered a total existence failure(probably on game start).

You can remove one guy from combat(see useless wizard) and if the rest of the party is knocked out, they'll go out of combat and stand back up, allowing for some lulzy "x per encounter" tactics.

Metatron

Augur
I kind of feel sorry for Obsidian because 80 % of the posts here seem to be about Roguey and how the balance of the combat system in very early beta is not as good as our resident troll on this board said it was going to be.

If Roguey is supposed to be some advocate for Sawyer he is the worst support imagineable. If I was Sawyer I'd conceive a plot to remove this Roguey character from any board in existence right away because right now every flaw even in very early beta stages is linked to him and a couple of overzealous counter-trolls who want to get one over Roguey.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can remove one guy from combat(see useless wizard) and if the rest of the party is knocked out, they'll go out of combat and stand back up, allowing for some lulzy "x per encounter" tactics.

Nice exploit. You should report this to somebody from Obsidian.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

You mean they don't read this thread? I don't even have an account on their forums :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

You mean they don't read this thread? I don't even have an account on their forums :M

They do, but it's hectic so they might miss it. You can PM Anthony Davis or badler. Or maybe I'll just tag them and hope they jump in to read this. +M

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
They could if this wasn't filled with so much shitposting, so the thread goes by too fast. Just make an account over there. ITS FREE!

Just have a mod go through this thread and delete all the shitposts by tuluse, Infinitron et. al. so we can have a proper conversation with the devs.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They could if this wasn't filled with so much shitposting, so the thread goes by too fast. Just make an account over there. ITS FREE!

Just have a mod go through this thread and delete all the shitposts by tuluse, Infinitron et. al. so we can have a proper conversation with the devs.
We don't do things like that around here son. :acting like old army sergeant:

Starwars

Arcane
Gotta love it... You mean they don't read these forums?!?!?!! The Codex?!?!?!

Yes, if that's the case, I wonder why. Why wouldn't someone want to read the Codex?!
:gumpyhead:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It would be so good to get a good look into Sawyer's mind during the beta. I really hope he is thinking about how could the attribute system be improved. If he just thinks "the system stays as it is, we just make a few tweaks", then all hope is lost. A few small balance tweaks is not enough.

Zeriel

Arcane
I kind of feel sorry for Obsidian because 80 % of the posts here seem to be about Roguey and how the balance of the combat system in very early beta is not as good as our resident troll on this board said it was going to be.

If Roguey is supposed to be some advocate for Sawyer he is the worst support imagineable. If I was Sawyer I'd conceive a plot to remove this Roguey character from any board in existence right away because right now every flaw even in very early beta stages is linked to him and a couple of overzealous counter-trolls who want to get one over Roguey.

It didn't really start with Roguey, he just amplified Josh's own pretty antagonistic statements. I dunno, maybe I'm crazy, but if I'm making a nostalgiafag project and I'm the lead designer, the first thing I would try to avoid is telling those nostalgiafags what they did or did not think was fun.

Duraframe300

Arcane

It didn't really start with Roguey, he just amplified Josh's own pretty antagonistic statements. I dunno, maybe I'm crazy, but if I'm making a nostalgiafag project and I'm the lead designer, the first thing I would try to avoid is telling those nostalgiafags what they did or did not think was fun.

He didn't do it then though.

The BGII comments for example are from 2006. Again, Sawyer has always been critical of lots of things and he never tried to hide that fact.

And again, these discussions aren't new and happened regarding Fallout too. First with Van Buren and then with New Vegas (Even when the codex kept out there because the game didn't immediatly interest them. Excpect for the small gun and big gun combination.)

Other than that there was for example a HUGE discussion regarding his critisism of SPECIAL.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane

The BGII comments for example are from 2006. Again, Sawyer has always been critical of lots of things and he never tried to hide that fact.

And again, these discussions aren't new and happened regarding Fallout too. First with Van Buren and then with New Vegas (Even when the codex kept out there because the game didn't immediatly interest them. Excpect for the small gun and big gun combination.

Otherwise there was for example a HUGE discussion regarding his critisism of SPECIAL.

Fair enough. I still think it's dumb to pretend you are making a game for a certain audience and then completely ignore them, but it's a tried-and-true design principle of modern game developers, so who am I to question it.

I was leery of this project from the beginning because of Sawyer, but I had a little hope because Cain was involved. It was always just a question of who had the decision hat on, guess we know now.

Duraframe300

Arcane

And again, these discussions aren't new and happened regarding Fallout too. First with Van Buren and then with New Vegas (Even when the codex kept out there because the game didn't immediatly interest them. Excpect for the small gun and big gun combination.

Otherwise there was for example a HUGE discussion regarding his critisism of SPECIAL.

Fair enough. I still think it's dumb to pretend you are making a game for a certain audience and then completely ignore them, but it's a tried-and-true design principle of modern game developers, so who am I to question it.

I was leery of this project from the beginning because of Sawyer, but I had a little hope because Cain was involved. It was always just a question of who had the decision hat on, guess we know now.

LOL

Is the only thing I'm going to say to that.

Zeriel

Arcane
Who among the Infinity Engine fanbase asked for the game systems in Pillars of Eternity? You can see a few dedicated fans try to spin and defend them after the fact, but that's just because they lionize Obsidian so heavily. Some elements of the game are great: the art, the Darklands-inspired text vignettes. There are cool elements. But the shitty parts stand out because they make so little sense. No one asked for them. They even betray the basic sensibilities of the project. Why did they go for RTWP, even though even a lot of Infinity Engine fans consider it the weaker part of the series? Because it's gotta be exactly like the Infinity Engine games, duh! Except for, you know, the actual systems underpinning the game. Those can be completely different.

I know, they probably think they're "improving" the formula vastly with these changes, but it's still a really awkward move to make when your entire project is founded on nostalgia. If you just want to make the best possible game, why cast certain things in stone?

Oh, right. Marketing. :3

"See guys, it's all green and shit and there's trees everywhere and it's that real time with pause shit you never really liked but do actually remember from the late 90's!"

Ultimately I'm not surprised by how the game turned out, though. This was all writing on the wall from the very beginning of the Kickstarter project, and it's why I never got super hyped about it. They said from the beginning in half-speak that this was going to look and "feel" like Infinity Engine games, but be completely different. Unfortunately I'm one of those people who appreciated the look and feel of Infinity Engine games, but also liked the trappings of the systems and archetypes of D&D. I'm not particularly excited about wizards who max strength or systems where every choice is equally good, and equally pointless. What a fucking grognard loser, I suppose. I'll just go trundle off into the trashbin of history, now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom