Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mazisky

Magister
Anyone noticed in the last stream how good are the spell effects and the lighting system? like another game from Poe 1

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
a port city / trade center even in early renaissance era or even medieval really, would make sense if they have quite a diverse group of ethnicity and races

And especially ghettos. Which I think Neketaka actually does have, if I remember correctly. Don't let fantasy games twist your expectations of how big the average medieval city really was. They always make them way bigger than is plausible. And also the obligatory underground sewers "district". But who cares, it's fun and it's "classic fantasy".

Will we have a newspost about the stream? It didn't contain big news but still...

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
It's hard not to get hyped up for poe2 from the stream videoes, I agree. The game does looks quite great, and is heaps and bounds above poe1 graphics. The combat also looks improved, and at least tolerable if you're not that much into it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's unwise to hype yourself so much. We should already know that graphics is a cheap way to entice people and it doesn't say anything. Trust me, the combat is a very repetitive mess that will kill your enjoyment quite fast if you don't have low standards. The writing is also very, very bland, but at least it's short this time.

Mazisky

Magister
It's unwise to hype yourself so much. We should already know that graphics is a cheap way to entice people and it doesn't say anything. Trust me, the combat is a very repetitive mess that will kill your enjoyment quite fast if you don't have low standards. The writing is also very, very bland, but at least it's short this time.

We don't know about the writing yet.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
This screenshot is hiding one of the most surprising features of PoE 2: People can finally sit!!! Even on chairs or crates!!!

No more empty tables in the Inns i hope

PillarsOfEternity2+2018-03-14+15-51-14-44x.jpg
In POE you could sit in cad nue throne room...

Yeah but i wanna also NPCs to sit like normal people do.

Speaking of which, i noticed they added a lot of NPCs walking around in the beta village with last update. Now it feels more alive than ever. And despite that, better performance
People are sititng in black hound inn in first poe

Nope, they are not.

They are not drinking in standind position and i dont count BB npcs

Man, go replay the game. In the black hound inn nobody is sitting. Nobody.

Yea i forgot

Lacrymas

Arcane
We don't know about the writing yet.

We do, as there is writing in the beta. Sure, it's a very tiny slice of it, but I very much doubt it's much higher quality elsewhere. I hope I'm wrong, but hope is a cruel mistress.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Writing is expected combat is getting quickly boring in any game thats combat heavy if you are not zealot or deranged ofc. Im getting hyped because it seems that this is improvment upon POE 1.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Uhm, no, combat doesn't get boring quickly in every game with an emphasis on combat. Where do you even get that from?

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Uhm, no, combat doesn't get boring quickly in every game with an emphasis on combat. Where do you even get that from?
Maybe in mortal kombat it doesnt lol. Repeting same action or resolving every combat encounter in similar way gets repetitive and boring. Best example Dos 1 EE forced we to alt F4 out of frustration. Like a degenerated chess game/match.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That's the problem in PoE1 and 2 - that every battle is resolved in exactly the same way and that's why it gets repetitive very fast. This isn't true in any good game with an emphasis on combat.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The problem is that it gets repetitive and boring very fast? I thought that was clear. What kind of defense of the game is that?

Lacrymas

Arcane
But how do you achieve that using same merceneries in beta with same spell order over and over again?

Nobody is using the same mercenaries over and over, we can hire whatever kind of adventurer we want and the result is the same. Rote, repetitive tactics that work universally for every encounter. That was true in PoE, but it's even more true in the beta for 2 because you have a very limited spell selection. Even Wizards, who can basically cast any spell if they have it in their grimoires, default to a few cookie-cutter spells that work for everything.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
But how do you achieve that using same merceneries in beta with same spell order over and over again?

Nobody is using the same mercenaries over and over, we can hire whatever kind of adventurer we want and the result is the same. Rote, repetitive tactics that work universally for every encounter. That was true in PoE, but it's even more true in the beta for 2 because you have a very limited spell selection. Even Wizards, who can basically cast any spell if they have it in their grimoires, default to a few cookie-cutter spells that work for everything.

Yes i forgot beat have max 6 lvl spells/abilities?

Rote, repetitive tactics that work universally for every encounter. Like in any rtwp not exclusive to poe.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Have you played the IE games? Especially BG with SCS, but let's say that is cheating because "lol mods aren't allowed" when we compare PoE and BG. Spoiler: They don't play like PoE and don't have the same overwhelmingly repetitive gameplay.

Parabalus

Arcane
Have you played the IE games? Especially BG with SCS, but let's say that is cheating because "lol mods aren't allowed" when we compare PoE and BG. Spoiler: They don't play like PoE and don't have the same overwhelmingly repetitive gameplay.

80%+ of IE combat is select party members and right click, especially BG. They aren't considered repetitive because there is no basic gameplay.

Take temple ruins or Firkraag's dungeon - you finish the entire dungeon (barring a Lich random spawn) doing nothing but selecting party members and right clicking, with the "real SCS gameplay" coming into play only against the 2 mages at the end of each.

Lacrymas

Arcane
While it's true that you can auto-attack your way through a lot of encounters, they don't feel as repetitive because there is no constant clicking of samey per-encounter abilities in every fight.

Parabalus

Arcane
While it's true that you can auto-attack your way through a lot of encounters, they don't feel as repetitive because there is no constant clicking of samey per-encounter abilities in every fight.

The end result is they are just as meaningless - you can have parity in this case by turning down the difficulty in PoE, so you can just auto-attack your way through encounters like in IE, if you somehow find that less repetitive.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Moral of the story - don't overpopulate your game with trash mobs. The difference is that the IE games offer encounters where your usual tactic doesn't work, as opposed to PoE, where everything is samey with too few exceptions.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Played all IE without mods CHORE buffing then select all AutoAtackt 90% of times. 10 % of times breach, spell strike, pierce shield/magic.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Moral of the story - don't overpopulate your game with trash mobs. The difference is that the IE games offer encounters where your usual tactic doesn't work, as opposed to PoE, where everything is samey with too few exceptions.

There is no pre-buffing in poe is biggest problem and spam fest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom