Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Generic-Giant-Spider

I've noticed that this industry is full of people who aren't really gamers, and that's especially true with people with any sort of creative influence over a game, like writers. Whenever they talk about their favourite games, it's always an easy answer which reveals that they aren't all that into games.

This is supremely true. Most of their "favourite" games are things you can find on any top ten list but if you quiz them on something from any of their beloved games they look at you like they just saw their mother getting doggystyle'd by Hitler.

HoboForEternity

LIBERAL PROPAGANDIST
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Who is the narrative designer and lead writer/editor? with good lead, and experienced narrative designer, there can still be hope to salvage these drecks into writing something passable or at least keep em im leash.

The specific dialogue wont be as cohesive and beautiful word to word like pst, but we might still have general good plot, interaction and worldbuilding.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Who is the narrative designer and lead writer/editor? with good lead, and experienced narrative designer, there can still be hope to salvage these drecks into writing something passable or at least keep em im leash.

The specific dialogue wont be as cohesive and beautiful word to word like pst, but we might still have general good plot, interaction and worldbuilding.

Josh is the narrative lead, though allegedly Carrie Patel is the lead writer (or at least the writer with the most seniority).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ah yes carrie patel. I did remember avellone commend her on mca appreciation topic. Which part she worked on poe1?
Aloth, Sagani, retouched Grieving Mother after Avellone was done, and Devil of Caroc and Maneha (who everyone hates) for the White March. She's really into bouncing on her feet.

2house2fly

Magister
No fenstermaker

Writing Eder, was still at Obsidian during the game's preproduction before it was publicly announced and probably helped write its main quest etc.
In the Codex interview, he said something about having some ideas for the sequel that would make use of his computer science degree. I wonder exactly what he meant by that, and whether these ideas of his made it into the game

2house2fly

Magister
Ah yes carrie patel. I did remember avellone commend her on mca appreciation topic. Which part she worked on poe1?
Aloth, Sagani, retouched Grieving Mother after Avellone was done, and Devil of Caroc and Maneha (who everyone hates) for the White March. She's really into bouncing on her feet.
She also wrote all the interactions with the gods in Teir Evron, which were fairly decent. I like what she did with the Devil as well, put me in mind a bit of Cass from New Vegas. Her quest isn't up to much but I liked talking with her about her time with Galvino and getting to ask "did you ever consider murdering him?"

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ah yes carrie patel. Which part she worked on poe1?

Vault Dweller in PoE review said:
The good thing is that most if not all quests have multiple solutions, so at very least you can role-play. Pillars easily beats the crap out of Baldur’s Gate in this department. Sadly, the quest logic is often lacking.

Take the brothel quest, for example. You’re told that someone’s causing troubles. Since you don’t have anything better to do, you agree to look into it, which in this case means walking around until attacked by a trash mob. Then you enter every house until you trigger the right scripting event and talk to the leader who offers a peaceful solution, which seems out of place after being attacked on sight, but whatever. Turns out the leader is upset that the brothel increased the prices and now the commoners can’t get exotic ass and pussy.

Let it sink for a moment. A local faction is attacking people on sight because the prices in a brothel are too high for the common folk. Who writes this shit?

Parabalus

Arcane
Devil of Caroc is p. underrated.

Mostly cause her quest and gameplay/stats/class are garbage I'd say - bad first impression, the character is very cool. Makes me feel really bad for her in the endings.

For such an interesting character concept I was very impressed at how little was done with her. Must have taken a lot of effort to make that character so boring

I'd really like for her to have ended her underwater walking on a Deadfire island, but that's just wishful thinking. I doubt any of the WM companions will even be mentioned, let alone a cameo/quest.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Devil of Caroc shows some creativity, it's true. She is the villain after the poetic justice has been carried out and her endings are bittersweet in a coherent and logical way. I don't know anything about her as a character, though.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

For such an interesting character concept I was very impressed at how little was done with her. Must have taken a lot of effort to make that character so boring

"no",

The content she has is limited but all of it is good. Her dialogue is short and entertaining, her oneliners are genuinely funny and her story and morality is complex. She also shows real and relatable emotion about her predicament. It's not a boring character at all.

Refer to this for an interesting concept but boring character:

I would say Mahena isn't a well written character because she is not very interesting, which is quite the accomplishment considering who she is supposed to be.

Parabalus

Arcane
Ah yes carrie patel. Which part she worked on poe1?

Vault Dweller in PoE review said:
The good thing is that most if not all quests have multiple solutions, so at very least you can role-play. Pillars easily beats the crap out of Baldur’s Gate in this department. Sadly, the quest logic is often lacking.

Take the brothel quest, for example. You’re told that someone’s causing troubles. Since you don’t have anything better to do, you agree to look into it, which in this case means walking around until attacked by a trash mob. Then you enter every house until you trigger the right scripting event and talk to the leader who offers a peaceful solution, which seems out of place after being attacked on sight, but whatever. Turns out the leader is upset that the brothel increased the prices and now the commoners can’t get exotic ass and pussy.

Let it sink for a moment. A local faction is attacking people on sight because the prices in a brothel are too high for the common folk. Who writes this shit?

It was more nuanced than that though - they were attacking specifically the rich patrons, out of resentment and terrorism (to roll the policy back), since only recently they too could have afford the exotics. The pimp raised the prices because the contraception/abortion herbs had their price hiked, which happened because the Doemenels were cracking down on the Vallian trade (you witness this in Pallegina recruitment). The quest is simple but the writing was pretty good I think.

Last edited:

Vityaz

Augur
I'd really like for her to have ended her underwater walking on a Deadfire island, but that's just wishful thinking. I doubt any of the WM companions will even be mentioned, let alone a cameo/quest.

A bit of a spoiler I guess, but someone datamined the files and you can apparently find and use her breastplate in Deadfire. (top and third from the right)

PzVJsEY.jpg

Also something that looks like her dismantled body shows up in one of the recent PoE Twitter gifs.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Source that Carrie Patel wrote that quest? I mean she might have, but Lurker King doesn't know the slightest thing about this game, he's just drive-by shitposting.

Prime Junta

Yep, this is one thing Pillars did reasonably well a lot of the time -- hooking up small side quests to the bigger picture. The Nyfre quest in Dyrford serves to flesh out the Doemenels, the Ranga quest does the same for the dead baby plague (as well as the whole Raedric questline), the Eothas temple basement thing does that for Edér's background, the Embers of Faith quest connects to Durance's story, and so on and so forth. In fact I can't think of many quests that don't have some kind of grounding of this type.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I liked that quest where you are trying to get an expensive amulet from one of the expensive prostitutes. Amulet which she kept to sell to get out of that life, then you can speech check to get it for free then also fuck her saying you already paid for her. Absolute mindbreak.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Source that Carrie Patel wrote that quest? I mean she might have, but Lurker King doesn't know the slightest thing about this game, he's just drive-by shitposting.
I bought the game at full price, played, finshed, and read all the available text in the game, including each piece of lore--which it is more than can be said about the likes of you, who are too busy promoting and shilling games, but don't have any available time to play them, and even less available time to discuss or understand their flaws. This makes you the most bizarre type of individual in this crazy industry. You are even more bizarre than sellout game journalists and pretentious jornalists. They have an agenda determined by incentives, but your incentives are a mystery to everyone, because in practice it works like altruistic shilling. Maybe you are just defending your personal attitude about life in general? Who knows. What I know is that I'm honest enough to admit that the game sucks, that I lost my time and money in the process, and that I behave like a retarded trying to defend the game from Roxor's criticisms until I realized I was wrong.

Otterz

Literate

She also wrote a bunch of NPCs, like the Doemenels, Wengra in TWMII, the soul readings in the expansion and the dialogues with the Gods in Teir Evron; also, quests (cannot remember specifically which ones, but I'm pretty sure she wrote quite a bunch of stuff for Twin Elms)

"no",

The content she has is limited but all of it is good. Her dialogue is short and entertaining, her oneliners are genuinely funny and her story and morality is complex. She also shows real and relatable emotion about her predicament. It's not a boring character at all.
Couldn't agree more. She also has tons of flavour reactivity throughout the base portion of the game, like a pretty fun interaction with the stone Headmaster in the Sanituarium and a sweet one-liner upon entering in the Salty Mast for the first time. These, however, can only be seen if you recruit her around the beginning of Act 2 and log her around Defiance Bay while you do the important stuff, so most players- who tackle the expansion at the beginning of act 3- will never get to see them.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom