Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
When is the exact release?
Cali midnight or what?

2house2fly

Magister
First of all, do you continue playing after the ending? Second, is there an ending slideshow? If so, please list the quests outside of the main quest which definitely get an ending slide. Also if so, do sidekicks get ending slides as well as main companions?

In the preview version at least, I got the typical "separate save just before the end-game" like in Pillars 1, and after the ending I'm thrown back into the main menu.

There are ending slideshows, for the main plotline, most major locations, all the major factions, 4-5 major quests (you'll know them when you play the game, I might list them all later), and your companions, but not the sidekicks.
I like the sound of all that, thanks

Oh, follow up question, and this is kind of drifting close to spoiler territory, so I'll understand if you don't answer this one. Is the ending slideshow voiced? Given the voice narration in the intro I would assume so. If it's voiced, is it all voiced by the narrator from the start of the game, or by significant NPCs from each quest/faction like in New Vegas?

Hellion

Arcane
Is the ending slideshow voiced? Given the voice narration in the intro I would assume so. If it's voiced, is it all voiced by the narrator from the start of the game, or by significant NPCs from each quest/faction like in New Vegas?

It's all voiced, by the typical game's narrator.

Sooo, how important POE1 save? If I fucked up dyrwood by betraying Berath is it like minor thing?

I did the exact same thing for the save I imported into Deadfire, and Berath aknowledges the betrayal in a few instances too.
She even bestows a "punishment" of sorts for the betrayal, a debuff on the player character that lasts for a few in-game months.

It's easy to create a new world state for Deadfire if you don't like your choices in your PoE save games anyway. You just pick a few choices from a list of questions after the short intro when starting a new game. My bad, you can create new world states from the game's options in the main menu.

Last edited:

LizardWizard

Cipher
I did the exact same thing for the save I imported into Deadfire, and Berath aknowledges the betrayal in a few instances too.
She even bestows a "punishment" of sorts for the betrayal, a debuff on the player character that lasts for a few in-game months.

Do the
debuffs stack if you betrayed all the gods?

Jezal_k23

A few spoilers regarding the ending (not really spoiling the plotline, just a few remarks on the final confrontation with Eothas, but proceed at your own risk regardless):

I don't know if this is due to my choices in the game or if I'm missing something else, but in the end you can't really fight Eothas or even object to what he's set out to do. If you pick the choice "I want to fight you" in the final confrontation with him he just absorbs your soul and you get a "game over" narration.

So, the only thing I really got to choose in the final confrontation is how to influence a few aspects of the world as it will be shaped after Eothas' decisive actions. Meaning that said actions WILL happen, no matter what.

Makes the whole thing look a bit like the "Indy is irrelevant" theory regarding the plot for Raiders of the Lost Ark. Other than playing the power game between the rivaling factions of the Archipelago, we as players don't really get a say in how the main plotline ends.

As I said, maybe this is all just due to my choices in the game. I'll have to start another one to make sure.

PS. Yes I have a review code, but no I am not streaming because I despise Twitch and everything it stands for. Unless you want to throw money at me, in which case I'll start right away.

Unrelated to the spoilers since I don't wanna read them, but is the game really bigger than Pillars 1? How substantial is the world map?

Hellion

Arcane
Do the
debuffs stack if you betrayed all the gods?

I'll have to start a new game to check that out for certain.
Berath's debuff is specifically named as such ("Berath's Wrath") so it's logical that all the debuffs are unique and will indeed stack when you get them during the course of the story (you get Berath's debuff when you visit her temple in Neketaka, so they won't dump all of them on you at once at the beginning of the game or something like that), but I'll have to start the game again to make sure.

Unrelated to the spoilers since I don't wanna read them, but is the game really bigger than Pillars 1? How substantial is the world map?

As Sawyer stated during a stream, the main storyline is shorter (he even claimed that a dev managed to finish it withing 6-7 hours if I recall correctly, probably while playing on super-easy or with cheats) so one could charge through the game and finish it in no time. But there's definitely more stuff to do in it in general, compared to Pillars 1 - quests, tasks, lots and lots of bounties, playing the factions against one another... Plus the whole "ship captain" gameplay with upgrading your ship(s), hiring and feeding your crew, exploring the seas (you even have the option to name uncharted islands after you've cleared a short dungeon on them), hunting ships etc etc. The world "feels" much larger too in general, due to the more open-world nature of travel compared to the BG-style fixed locations system of Pillars 1.

As for the more spoilery questions, I guess we'll see after the official release.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think it will be good. Better than pillars 1 at least. Edgy codexers aside. It wont be as good as planescape or something, it will be pretty decent, and at the very worst, it will be like poe 2 which is okay actually. Not brilliant, but feels enough to scratch the itch

^this is how a soul bashed into mediocrity looks like, clobbered into accepting the insipid subpar, smashed into complacency, crippled into accepting just a scratch of an itch.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
A few spoilers regarding the ending (not really spoiling the plotline, just a few remarks on the final confrontation with Eothas, but proceed at your own risk regardless):

I don't know if this is due to my choices in the game or if I'm missing something else, but in the end you can't really fight Eothas or even object to what he's set out to do. If you pick the choice "I want to fight you" in the final confrontation with him he just absorbs your soul and you get a "game over" narration.

So, the only thing I really got to choose in the final confrontation is how to influence a few aspects of the world as it will be shaped after Eothas' decisive actions. Meaning that said actions WILL happen, no matter what.

Makes the whole thing look a bit like the "Indy is irrelevant" theory regarding the plot for Raiders of the Lost Ark. Other than playing the power game between the rivaling factions of the Archipelago, we as players don't really get a say in how the main plotline ends.

As I said, maybe this is all just due to my choices in the game. I'll have to start another one to make sure.

PS. Yes I have a review code, but no I am not streaming because I despise Twitch and everything it stands for. Unless you want to throw money at me, in which case I'll start right away.
Doesn't really matter,the story will be/is shit,the writing is shit and the companions are annoying. You are just saying that he contributes more to the pile of shit. I honestly can't see a single interesting character. Aloth is becoming a faggot even if he was clearly not one in the first game. Eder would be fucked up for certainty. I hope there is a plank in this pirate game.
walk_the_plank.png

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Might represented a character's physical and spiritual strength. Ideally, you would think of the Might rating as a container that can either be filled up by physical or spiritual power. The problem was that mighty wizards could both cast powerful spells and hit things hard.

And Resolve directly increased deflection. How was deflection not influenced by dexterity and perception? I know the team worked really hard on the stats, but they don't make much sense.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Based on Chris' revelations, my conclusion is that Feargus is the chief decline-enabler (romances, "sex up this or that character", VO, and such shit), not some SJW writers.

The most probable scenario are the both.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom