Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Shevek

Arcane
Hehe, he got a bit touchy there but I think he knows they could have done better on the Stronghold.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Hehe, he got a bit touchy there but I think he knows they could have done better on the Stronghold.

Literally replacing the entire stronghold with a cellar to the endless paths and a house with the bounty hunter quests - would have been an improvement.
My point is.. They literally couldn't of done worse on the stronghold.

Crossroads Keep was actually nicer.. at least you had some choice.. and it fucking mattered how much you put into it.. Why are they going backwards? I was expecting it to be better then NWN 2..

Atchodas

Augur
He says Optional , and yet whole game is gated behind that terrible stronghold

roshan

Arcane
And if we gated a bunch of quests through the stronghold, there would be complaints about that. It's not really an "everyone wins" decision since some people hate stronghold-gated content. That said, if we had spare area and narrative design resources during development, sure we'd make some stronghold specific content. That was never the case and it still wasn't the case on the expansion. Whatever work is done on gated content is work not being done on content available to everyone.

This is just an absolutely stupid design philosophy. "Make all content available to everyone" - what is this, some sort of communist RPG? This is why SJWs shouldn't design games.

Ninjerk

Arcane
What games have good stronghold mechanics?

I can't think of any.

Most of the games that were not specifically about base-building/rebuilding usually just had a thing you dumped money into and they fucking sucked.
I hear Dwarf Fortress has pretty good stronghold mechanics. :troll:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Optional content can't be tied to the mandatory main line and not feel like an artificial and hollow husk!

*Witcher 3 does it*

Ehm....CAN'T BE DONE! CAN'T.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't see anybody saying it can't be done. I see somebody saying he doesn't want to spend his budget on it.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I don't know if it's just me but I gave Obsidian money to make game they wanted, see what they could do without a publisher, let Avellone get wild and Sawyer and Cain help implement that. I'd have been perfectly happy without any stretch goals, and I wasn't even that keen on reviving the IE spirit as I preferred Ultima as a series, far more ambitious. I suppose they wouldn't have had so many backers if not tapping into the IE crowd, but the stronghold problem would be removed if they just made the game they wanted.

Atchodas

Augur
This is just an absolutely stupid design philosophy. "Make all content available to everyone" - what is this, some sort of communist RPG? This is why SJWs shouldn't design games.
Exactly this , whole Obshittian design philosophy is game for casual scrubs who may or may not finish it once and then they have to see everything that there is in game during that one playtrough , they are actually trying to avoid any replayability .. This is the worst design decisions i have ever saw in years of gaming

roshan

Arcane
I don't know if it's just me but I gave Obsidian money to make game they wanted, see what they could do without a publisher, let Avellone get wild and Sawyer and Cain help implement that. I'd have been perfectly happy without any stretch goals, and I wasn't even that keen on reviving the IE spirit as I preferred Ultima as a series, far more ambitious. I suppose they wouldn't have had so many backers if not tapping into the IE crowd, but the stronghold problem would be removed if they just made the game they wanted.

Dude what reality do you exist in? They did make the game as they wanted to, in their foolishness and egoism, and it turned out to be crap. Pillars of Shitternity has absolutely no similarity to the IE games. Except for perhaps being 2D, but even then the viewing angle is different.

Morkar Left

I can't think of any.

Deadstate. Your stronghold management is essential for survival and continuing the game but it's not interfering with the actual rpg gameplay (running around, killing things, looting stuff and talking to npcs your party). If you manage it thoughtfully you can even get really worthwhile benefits for actual gameplay via access to multiple crafting stations and buff boni that aren't artificial and make actually sense.

Rake

Arcane

I can't think of any.

Most of the games that were not specifically about base-building/rebuilding usually just had a thing you dumped money into and they fucking sucked.
Piss on mechanics. BG2 had good strongholds. They were basicaly quest chains and extra content. Not all of them were great, but the obvious way to fix them was to add better content, not turning them into a facebook app

Neanderthal

Arcane
Dude what reality do you exist in? They did make the game as they wanted to, in their foolishness and egoism, and it turned out to be crap. Pillars of Shitternity has absolutely no similarity to the IE games. Except for perhaps being 2D, but even then the viewing angle is different.

Not really excusing Poe, thought it was mediocre mesen, but I don't think them stretchgoals helped. An optional pointless stronghold and massively boring dungeon just made the games faults all the more apparent, especially when we were expecting something like all the cool strongholds of BG2 wrapped up in one, and something to equal Durlag's Tower or Watcher's Keep. All that time and effort should have been spent on a bang tidy campaign in my humble.

roshan

Arcane
Good to see they have identified what the game really needs - more percentages. :)

Shevek

Arcane

Not really excusing Poe, thought it was mediocre mesen, but I don't think them stretchgoals helped. An optional pointless stronghold and massively boring dungeon just made the games faults all the more apparent, especially when we were expecting something like all the cool strongholds of BG2 wrapped up in one, and something to equal Durlag's Tower or Watcher's Keep. All that time and effort should have been spent on a bang tidy campaign in my humble.

I actually thought the dungeon was pretty good (easily as good as Durlags in my estimation) and one of the better stretch goals. It was in the tradition of the IE games and had decent challenge on PotD. (second city also was good - I think I liked Twin Elms more than Defiance Bay; better realized locale)

The stronghold was fairly meh though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Good to see they have identified what the game really needs - more percentages. :)

It does, because making those talents heal a flat value, when health values go up per level, was an absolutely stupid idea and I'm astonished it made it in because it's so obvious those talents are going to be worthless at level 12.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
To preserve valuable camping supplies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom