Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
How much of a first timer are you? If you have played the IE games I would absolutely recommend going for PotD rather than Hard since the difficulty falls of hard and fast in both games after the first few levels.

I've played all the IE games, but it's been years since I really touched any of them. As far as PoE, I've only played through the prologue several times and beginning of Chapter 1 to experience different classes.

Then i would recommend PotD. It might be a bit tough in the beginning and don't be afraid to leave some content and come back for it a level later (or with more companions). Doing the temple of Eothas with only 2 companions at level 2 can be pretty tough, but after chapter 1 almost everything should be a breeze. PotD does in no way require powergaming but you will have to read the spell descriptions and be a bit creatíve at the very start.

aeroaeko

Learned
Im nearing the end of the game. Is there a point of no return where i can't finish the rest of the sidequests? I also haven't started white march either other than the initial quest that tells you to go there or w.e

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Im nearing the end of the game. Is there a point of no return where i can't finish the rest of the sidequests? I also haven't started white march either other than the initial quest that tells you to go there or w.e
Yes. Don't jump into the pit at Burial Isle until you're ready to finish the game.

chuft

Augur
Is there a consensus on the IE Mod? Do the people trying it generally like it?

aeroaeko

Learned
Yes. Don't jump into the pit at Burial Isle until you're ready to finish the game.
THANK YOU! I literally just finished the quest to earn the approval of the gods and was about to do this.

Prime Junta

Then i would recommend PotD. It might be a bit tough in the beginning and don't be afraid to leave some content and come back for it a level later (or with more companions). Doing the temple of Eothas with only 2 companions at level 2 can be pretty tough, but after chapter 1 almost everything should be a breeze. PotD does in no way require powergaming but you will have to read the spell descriptions and be a bit creatíve at the very start.

PotD as a first playthrough is punishing although it is true that you don't need metagame information or really hardcore powergaming with it. However I would only recommend it for a first playthrough if you enjoy learning things through frequent reloading because you will be doing that a lot. There are also some areas that will roflstomp you on PotD if you go in too early -- and it's easy to go in too early.

Story- or lorefags should start at Normal.

For everyone else I recommend Hard. It's pretty close in difficulty to Core Rules in the IE games.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

PotD as a first playthrough is punishing although it is true that you don't need metagame information or really hardcore powergaming with it. However I would only recommend it for a first playthrough if you enjoy learning things through frequent reloading because you will be doing that a lot. There are also some areas that will roflstomp you on PotD if you go in too early -- and it's easy to go in too early.

For everyone else I recommend Hard. It's pretty close in difficulty to Core Rules in the IE games.

I don't remember but can you upshift the difficulty to PotD during the game? Perhaps a reasonable compromise is running hard for chapter 1 and PotD thereafter (when difficulty takes a nosedive).

JDR13

Arcane

I don't remember but can you upshift the difficulty to PotD during the game? Perhaps a reasonable compromise is running hard for chapter 1 and PotD thereafter (when difficulty takes a nosedive).

Unfortunately, no.
https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Mode

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Difficulty takes a nosedive on PotD as well, the system just invites this gradual degeneracy.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Unfortunately, no.
https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Mode

Then I suggest you either mod this or power through the early game on PotD. I'm no IE strategy aficionado (I've not played the IWD games and never used SCS) and I managed just fine even the first time.

JDR13

Arcane
Also, would you say that PoE II is easier than the first game? That seems to be a common sentiment.

PsychoFox

Educated
Also, would you say that PoE II is easier than the first game? That seems to be a common sentiment.
Yes, for two reasons:

AI and pahtfinding is better so your characters don't get stuck behind each other and so they can be effective.

The pacing of the combat is a little slower, giving you more time to react to situations.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
PoE II drops off in difficulty even more than PoE I once you get to 10-11th level and higher - but Megabosses are a notable exception. Easily the hardest encounters in both PoE's.

JDR13

Arcane
The pacing of the combat is a little slower, giving you more time to react to situations.

Yeah, but can't the player also set that speed in PoE 1 if they wanted? I haven't messed with that option yet. Does it make the animations look awkward?

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron

Yeah, but can't the player also set that speed in PoE 1 if they wanted? I haven't messed with that option yet. Does it make the animations look awkward?
I think poe2 is easier if only because of the very design of some monsters.
A look at some monster sheets and you'd notice some discrepancies. Fire giants, krakens, dragons (!) are much weaker than fire nagas for instance.
In a word : most content is designed for level 3-13 around the world. Only a few locations are higher levels.

I think that even on slow mode, poe1 remains better in that department (but still kinda weak as you progress - that's mostly the base game though, encounters in white march were very good in my memory)

Shadenuat

Arcane
Fire giants are main quest stuff. So is (almost) 1 or 2 of dragons, kraken is also in one side quest. In PoE1 they are shoved a bit further into the game or are an expansion material.

Quillon

Arcane
So I finally played & finished MotB... sooo WTF!? PoE1 is a TOTAL RIP-OFF OF MotB! And I've been sitting here reading people comparing it to IE shit for years... fucking combatfags.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I am starting POE.

Uhh, what difficulty options should I enable for first run?

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Is dumping a stat okay? (Resolve)

Apparently barbarians need intellect

Prime Junta

Is dumping a stat okay? (Resolve)

Apparently barbarians need intellect

Most power builds pump and dump stats, but to make and use them you need to understand the system pretty well. For a first playthrough I wouldn't worry much about the stats, just pick a class you like, don't dump anything below 8, pump the starred stats, and roll with it. If you're getting roflstomped then the enemy is attacking a weak defence of yours, so find a way to pump it; if you can't seem to do any damage, then you're probably attacking a strong defence with a weak offence or are using a damage type to which the enemy is resistant or immune, so try something else -- everything you need to know is in the combat log and the enemy stats that pop up when you focus on it.

Once you've figured out how it works -- and this doesn't require a full playthrough -- feel free to roll up a power build. Note that there are a lot of items in the game that synergise really well with each other or with particular character abilities; once you find something interesting, try to figure out how to best make use of it.

(And yes intellect is highly useful for barbarians.)

Shadenuat

Arcane
Unless u make tank barb. I think it's combination of one stands alone & sickening aura + ohshit button.
Otherwise you can max str int dex, dump else, run naked, and use reach weapon. put flame aura from bard on the weapon for more pain. I used Tall Grass I believe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom