Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I mean, pikes aren't especially interesting in and of themselves, Tall Grass just has crazy OP modifiers. Put those on a rapier and it's still an OP weapon.
Well, a greatsword does have these modifiers. And is a lot stronger damage-wise (though less safe).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I mean, pikes aren't especially interesting in and of themselves, Tall Grass just has crazy OP modifiers. Put those on a rapier and it's still an OP weapon.
Well, a greatsword does have these modifiers. And is a lot stronger damage-wise (though less safe).

Right, I forgot about the sword. Man, PoE1 itemizaiton is a snoozefest.
Its got huge points in my book that such weapons even exist... and how they interact with other abilities, say, Carnage.

If Obsidian was half as obsessed with balance, as the memes claim, these weapon prices would long be nerfed to 1 trigger per attack/spell only (like some effects in BG3).

Quality over quantity.

Of course, the itemization was further greatly improved in WM.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I've found rogues very underwhelming in PoE1. Extremely squishy - and the dead don't deal any damage.

It's more that all the time it takes to position them, getting them to maxime their damage through flanking etc could be spend doing damage with a more conventional class (like the barbarian, or a ranger maybe). It's fun to do if you can pull it off but it's annoying, especially since enemies will instantly turn on your rogue more often than i liked. I tried to make the rogue tanky too but if it comes to that what's the point. I also fiddled around with a custom Priest of Skaen, which played exactly like the rogue but sacrificed DPS for spells. The result was a more functional character since i didn't have to try to get sneak attacks going right off the bat. I let the priest do his priest stuff than go in for a melee strike the second the opportunity arose. Felt more interesting than the rogue itself but i had to shove that character in the inn once i got Durance.

I picked up Kana now so basically the only custom companion i have with me is the barb.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Yeah, BG1-style itemization where every new magical weapon makes a major fucking difference is indeed kind of cool, but the major downside is that with replays there's literally nothing to experiment with and you always end up with the same stuff.

Piotrovitz

Savant
I've found rogues very underwhelming in PoE1. Extremely squishy - and the dead don't deal any damage.

In PoE2 with multiclassing available to shore up weaknesses however...
Rogues in PoE1 are exactly what they are suppose to be - high dps glass cannons that require much micro/positioning in every fight. And that's cool - you play them differently than other melee classes, which adds some diversity.

With Deadfire multiclass system this got kind of washed up, as you slap rogue on top of fighter/ranger/cipher/etc just to get the sneak attack bonus and couple of feats.

Perkel

Arcane
I just hate "rogue" to begin with. Thief is where stuff is. One of main reasons i fucking hated DnD3.5

Yeah, BG1-style itemization where every new magical weapon makes a major fucking difference is indeed kind of cool, but the major downside is that with replays there's literally nothing to experiment with and you always end up with the same stuff.
that's the problem, either go on all magic with your itemization, of include stuff that non magic weapons can do depending on proficiency and weapon type.
Were there any creatures resistant to non magic weapons in PoE, in the style of D&D stuff?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I just hate "rogue" to begin with. Thief is where stuff is. One of main reasons i fucking hated DnD3.5

I must prefer the Thief archtype myself (warrior should be the dps class, not stupid rogue), even if it wasn't entirely well implemented in the older games (too much combat, you were always compelled to mix the thief with warrior).

The idea of sneak attack or backstab makes a whole lot more sense on a utility class that gets a situational oppurtunity to do some damage on the side.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Were there any creatures resistant to non magic weapons in PoE, in the style of D&D stuff?

There's some that are immune to damage type, which is more annoying. Just killed Maerwald and i discovered to my dismay the barb and some of my other guys were doing no damage to those fire thingies because they are immune to piercing.

BTW, whose idea was to put a major fight right after 50 pages of dialog? I was also given several options with his soul but i have no idea what each did. Picked the last one at random, don't feel like redoing the whole thing just to see what the other options were about.

Perkel

Arcane

I must prefer the Thief archtype myself (warrior should be the dps class, not stupid rogue), even if it wasn't entirely well implemented in the older games (too much combat, you were always compelled to mix the thief with warrior).

The idea of sneak attack or backstab makes a whole lot more sense on a utility class that gets a situational oppurtunity to do some damage on the side.

I think bg2 is the best example of thief and what that class should do. Sneak attack based thief always starts combat by removing or heavily wounding really nasty enemy in group and targets weaker enemies after that. Utility oriented one steals, scouts, opens locks, sets traps etc.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

There's some that are immune to damage type, which is more annoying. Just killed Maerwald and i discovered to my dismay the barb and some of my other guys were doing no damage to those fire thingies because they are immune to piercing.

Just swap to another weapon..?

You have weapon sets for a reason

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Holy crap, Aloth is awakened.

Just caught him talk to himself after i killed Maerwald. At first i thought he was arguing with Durance, but i couldn't catch what was said so i reloaded, and lo, he has another person living with him. Finally his first encounter when he is taunting the farmers in Gilded Vale makes sense. That scene always felt wierd to me.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

True, but in this case i had to switch to an inferior weapon lmao.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Or use a dual damage type weapon.

Hours of St. Rumbaldt says hello.

Technomancer

Liturgist
When it came to itemization for pillars one thing I really loved is hellwax mold, the ability to once copy any non soulbound item in the game. For melee it opened some cool dual wielding builds with matching weapons. I now miss it in every similar game.

AshenNedra

Educated
Muh BG1 cargo cult where muh +1 weapon must be a gamechanger

I liked that aspect of the game to be honest. Even to this day, there's few weapons i remember as fondly as the +2 sword (Varscona) you can find in BG1 it's kinda of amusing to think about.
I'm partial to Lilarcor myself. A stupid Stormbringer, sorry Gurthang, sorry unnamed sword of Kullervo was hilarious to me. The lines were good and delivered with gusto.

I'm also in the minority (of the codex) that prefers BG2 to BG1.

Might be just the nostalgia googles talking.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
As far as i'm concerned, itemization in D&D or similar games is the best. Items that have their own character, histories and powers that are in line with the lore and are often unique and not found anywhere else. I haven't got far in Pillars but i'm already starting to see several ones like that. Just bought the Outworn Buckler, which i guess is this game's version of Pale Justice (unassuming looking item that's actually incredibly powerful), and this stuff is just really cool.

By comparison, i hate the Diablo system where it's all just about the stats and nothing else. Diablo sort was able to get away with it because at least it had some really cool inventory icons, probably among the most beautiful ever drawn in a game. 99% of Diablo clones don't even have that and every weapon is just some generic reshash of what came before. And you get so much loot that everything just becomes a blur.

AshenNedra

Educated
doa
As far as i'm concerned, itemization in D&D or similar games is the best. Items that have their own character, histories and powers that are in line with the lore and are often unique and not found anywhere else. I haven't got far in Pillars but i'm already starting to see several ones like that. Just bought the Outworn Buckler, which i guess is this game's version of Pale Justice (unassuming looking item that's actually incredibly powerful), and this stuff is just really cool.

By comparison, i hate the Diablo system where it's all just about the stats and nothing else. Diablo sort was able to get away with it because at least it had some really cool inventory icons, probably among the most beautiful ever drawn in a game. 99% of Diablo clones don't even have that and every weapon is just some generic reshash of what came before. And you get so much loot that everything just becomes a blur.
Agreed 100%.

The Diablo system, which you can also find in Larian games, is a cancer.

BG3 ,despite its many flaws, is miles better than DOS1 and 2, because it adopted the handcrafted and hand placed, itemization of DnD.

Coherence between gameplay, world and storytelling is what makes a game become a world.

It's the equivalent of style in literature.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom