Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown - new 2D Prince of Persia - coming to Steam on August 8th

Semiurge

Cipher
This was always Jordan Mechner's original vision for PoP, they just didn't have the technology back then to realize it.

Seems he couldn't decide between a regular towel-wearing arab prince and Luke Skywalker.

rS8ID9F.jpg

wYWZf1H.gif

nQUAq6S.jpg

6GpRHvt.png

Underdiscussed topic
The og and SoT princes strike me as visually more fitting for the PoP concept and setting. I can't buy fitness influencer Dakwon here as old Persia or anything having to do with a prince.

Agreed

SoT was lowkey good and memorable compared to the trash we have now
Pretty sure Sands of Time is universally liked around the 'Dex. Quality game

I've no interest in playing Jamal simulator featuring air combos (tm) and Denuvo. Fuck these people

Zero CHAR

Novice
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I'm gonna play it tonight, the PS2 PoP games have a special place in my heart and I always wanted to get into metroidvanias.

The Switch version leaked and you can emulate it perfectly on a middling PC and play at 4k/60fps. No Denuvo, no bullshit.

Well, aside from the game itself, that is. It's babby's first Metroid with magical parry/iframe dodge combat + xtreeeeeme aircombos. Very slow, very dull. And, of course, there's a hackneyed overbearing story full of girlbosses and a DIVERSE CAST (gruff black girlboss fighter! huge dumb oaf! agile archer dude!) on top of everything. Thankfully, you can skip the myriad story sequences. The soundtrack is the usual, nondescript, overly dramatic orchestral/vaguely ethnic stuff that you see in everything these days. Boring.

Just about the only positive aspect I can think of is that there's this feature to take a 'snapshot' of where you are and add it to the map sort of like a pin, so you'll have a visual reminder of which ability you need to get through a specific spot. It's a cool QoL feature but the game seems so braindead easy anyway that it wouldn't matter either way.

Sands of Time might as well have been crafted by aliens at this point. They'll never come up with anything remotely like it.

Last edited:

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Why can't they just make the characters middle eastern. They're already non-white.

Why does everything have to look like some mid 90s corporate HR stock photo.

Why can't they just make the characters middle eastern. They're already non-white.

Why does everything have to look like some mid 90s corporate HR stock photo.
We wuz kangz and all that. Modern liberal orthodoxy dictates that, historically, everything in what is now North Africa and the Middle East (if not the entire world) must have descended from/been created by sub-Saharan Africans, and therefore protagonists must look the part.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Switch version leaked and you can emulate it perfectly on a middling PC and play at 4k/60fps. No Denuvo, no bullshit.

Well, aside from the game itself, that is. It's babby's first Metroid with magical parry/iframe dodge combat + xtreeeeeme aircombos. Very slow, very dull. And, of course, there's a hackneyed overbearing story full of girlbosses and a DIVERSE CAST (gruff black girlboss fighter! huge dumb oaf! agile archer dude!) on top of everything. Thankfully, you can skip the myriad story sequences. The soundtrack is the usual, nondescript, overly dramatic orchestral/vaguely ethnic stuff that you see in everything these days. Boring.

Just about the only positive aspect I can think of is that there's this feature to take a 'snapshot' of where you are and add it to the map sort of like a pin, so you'll have a visual reminder of which ability you need to get through a specific spot. It's a cool QoL feature but the game seems so braindead easy anyway that it wouldn't matter either way.

Sands of Time might as well have been crafted by aliens at this point. They'll never come up with anything remotely like it.

I concur with all above. They tried to go Ori route but somewhat failed. Game looks like fast as hell but gameplay is slow and kinda felt slugish.
Woke stuff is over 9000 right from the start.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I watched some of this on some guy's stream and it doesn't look that bad. Granted it doesn't have much to do with the original PoP trilogy, but that ship has long sailed. Will try it out later this year and report back.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I take that back. The platforming looks solid, but the combat and the enemy design puts me off. If anything it looks like Blasphemous's cousin than anything related to PoP. I can still see it being fun to play, but there's too much going against it to justify a $49.99 purchase or even -50% off of that.

I wonder if the price would have been so high if this was a new IP and had nothing to do with PoP in the name. The art style also slightly reminds me of League of Legends which is... fucking despicable.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
I tried the demo and didn't like the combat at all, I spent most of the time running away from enemies.

Also the demo requires an Ubisoft account to be played lol. I just put my console in offline mode and played it. Why should I create an account to play a singleplayer game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom