Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #44: On Melee Engagement

Zeriel

Arcane
The combat/game systems were what I was intensely worried about with Project Eternity (i.e they've never done good combat, either in Infinity Engine or since), and it seems like my worries were perfectly justified.

hiver

Hey... this is great. Upgrading the Real Time with some cool Turn Based mechanics.
About time.

By the description it looks like it will play very, very nicely indeed and upgrade that whole section of combat tactics requirements.
:thumbsup:

Everything except that grimoire bash thing, of course... but then again, as soon as there are any sort of magic "books" in the process, magic system cant be that good anyway.

Tytus

Arcane
When it comes to books, maybe they will have a Vogon-poetry-read-attack too. It would clear the entire screen after a couple of verses.

Zeriel

Arcane
A great rebuttal to that whole update about melee engagement would be, "Hey, you know what would completely fix this problem and all the kludgy game balance pretzels you twist into to try to solve it? TURN BASED COMBAT." It really is sad that we're going to be saddled with all these dilemmas that wouldn't exist at all if they just, you know, took the D&D they're copying whole-sale anyway and ported it over as exactly what it is, turn-based combat.

Gozma

Arcane
A great rebuttal to that whole update about melee engagement would be, "Hey, you know what would completely fix this problem and all the kludgy game balance pretzels you twist into to try to solve it? TURN BASED COMBAT." It really is sad that we're going to be saddled with all these dilemmas that wouldn't exist at all if they just, you know, took the D&D they're copying whole-sale anyway and ported it over as exactly what it is, turn-based combat.

Respect for worthless late '90s compromise designs intended wholly to draw in Diabloheads must be maintained for nostalgia purposes

Lancehead

Liturgist
Does turn based combat give me simultaneous movement/combat? Because that's the whole point of RTwP.

Lancehead

Liturgist
That's exactly what Sawyer's doing. Don't you keep go on about how P:E is MMO/DOTA/Diablo combat?

Engagement mechanics are really the first details that had problems in historically (read: NWN2) in RTwP. But that doesn't say it can only in work TB. Much will depend on feedback.

Zeriel

Arcane
Does turn based combat give me simultaneous movement/combat? Because that's the whole point of RTwP.

Not really grasping what you're saying, here. Could you explain? Typically the way it works is you move around in real time until you get into combat. I'm completely fine with a setup like XCOM where combat maps are distinct from other types of gameplay, though I can't say I ever expect to see that in a full-fledged PC RPG.

Zeriel

Arcane
Respect for worthless late '90s compromise designs intended wholly to draw in Diabloheads must be maintained for nostalgia purposes

Darklands

Trying to be as awesome as Darklands is way beyond Obsidian or any modern developer, though. Come to think of it, Darklands is the only game I've _ever_ played where shit combat doesn't bother me in the slightest because the rest of the game is just that much better. Torment comes to the closest, but lacks Darklands autistic rich attention to detail.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Darklands

Trying to be as awesome as Darklands is way beyond Obsidian or any modern developer, though. Come to think of it, Darklands is the only game I've _ever_ played where shit combat doesn't bother me in the slightest because the rest of the game is just that much better. Torment comes to the closest, but lacks Darklands autistic rich attention to detail.

I was just trolling really, but hey, let's say RTwP did originate as a compromise. So what? From compromises and limitations new disciplines are born.

Wolfenstein 3D was John Carmack's compromise, trying to create a first person game that was faster and cheaper than Ultima Underworld. He ended up creating an entire genre.

RTwP games have their place, if you approach them as "squad-level RTSes" rather than as nerfed turn-based games.

Captain Shrek

RTwP games have their place, if you approach them as "squad-level RTSes" rather than as nerfed turn-based games.

This is really not entirely true. Squad based RTS would not really work unless it works like in Drakensang games, where the combat pace is slowed down quite a bit. Even DA:O did that to make the problem manageable. If P:E does that it might actually save the combat.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not really grasping what you're saying, here. Could you explain? Typically the way it works is you move around in real time until you get into combat. I'm completely fine with a setup like XCOM where combat maps are distinct from other types of gameplay, though I can't say I ever expect to see that in a full-fledged PC RPG.
JRPGs

:troll:

Lancehead

Liturgist

I mean in-combat. Turn based is sequential actions, RT is simultaneous (or asynchronous, whichever is more accurate) actions. You don't fix problems of RTwP by going TB, you fundamentally alter the combat and encounters.

Zeriel

Arcane

I mean in-combat. Turn based is sequential actions, RT is simultaneous (or asynchronous, whichever is more accurate) actions. You don't fix problems of RTwP by going TB, you fundamentally alter the combat and encounters.

Fair enough, I guess what I was trying to say is that in the real world, you either go real time (which is not strategic, it's either shooters or trolly-as-fuck ARPGs) or turn-based if you expect to have combat that isn't garbage. You can theorycraft whatever you want, but seeing as no one has ever made RTwP combat that isn't ass, I'm not expecting Obsidian of all people to manage it.

Lancehead

Liturgist
RTwP didn't stop BG games from having great combat, and TB didn't make ToEE combat whole lot of fun. If you talk purely about the mechanics in how they control, I'd agree RTwP can be (and mostly is) more frustrating than TB, but for the combat itself, TB doesn't have any intrinsic advantage over RTwP.

Lancehead

Liturgist
With Strategems mod, BG combat is pretty fun and challenging.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom